Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Perfect Tee Height

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 golfmark

golfmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87292
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

I have had trouble keeping a consistent height that I tee my ball up at with wooden tees. So I have now started making two sharpie marks, about a quarter inch apart, on the tee. I will then push the tee into the ground until the mark. This helps me keep about the same tee height all the time.

I have never seen where this is against the rules but have gotten a few funny looks when someone noticed my tees. My question is, is it against the rules??

What do others do to maintain a consistent tee height with wooden tees?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dorfblee

dorfblee

Custom member title

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 628

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if that's against the rules, but I have seen tees with painted rings on them- probably to serve same purpose.

What I do is put my driver next to where I'm teeing the ball- left hand has a tee and the ball on it, the right is holding my driver so the club head is near the tee spot.

#3 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

Tee the ball up, then sole the head of your driver next to it in playing position and check it to see the ball's as high as you want it (top of ball even with crown for me, others like 1/2 the ball to be above the crown).  If it's not, adjust and sole the driver again to recheck.  Go through you PSR and pull the trigger!  

Just about every pro I've ever seen does it this way.  

Unless you switch drivers each day, that's hands down the best way to obtain a consistant tee height IMHO.  

Hope that helps.

Edited by taylormadefan, 27 April 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#4 Golf_Beauty

Golf_Beauty

Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8537
  • Ebay ID:GolfBeauty814
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

I do the same thing as TaylorMade, after teeing my ball I usually set my driver next to the it to see if it's the correct height. I usually like 1/2 to 3/4 of the ball above the crown.

#5 cjdrcc

cjdrcc

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3992

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

I have seen those wooden tees designed for this purpose, however if this is unacceptable, then I'd say the checking the height thing you do or some striped tees would work. I personally (try to) do the Greg Norman tap the ball down. It looks cool if you pull it off, but if it falls you look like a complete joke.

#6 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

this is awkward but let me explain. I crouch down next to the tee and grab my driver face and put it right next to the ball so I know 1/3 of the ball is on the face. If its not I adjust the tee and get the desired height. I was gonna use that sharpie thing for a tournament, is it illegal?

#7 DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan

It�s not a hill, it�s a mountain...As you start out the clim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

You can take a sharpie to your tee.  Only rule on tees is "It must not be longer than 4 inches (101.6 mm) and it must not be designed or manufactured in such a way that it could indicate the line of play or influence the movement of the ball"

If anyone is struggling with consistent tee height.  Buy tees designed for it, like:

http://golftees.com/korectee.html

#8 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

http://www.pridegolftee.com/LTP.php

I use the blue ones which are 3 1/4".  I insert the tee to the point where the bottom of the blue ring is touching the ground and it is the perfect height for me with my 905R.  You can get a bag of 75 for about $5 online or at almost any retail store.  The only thing I don't like about them is that they are somewhat fragile compared to other wooden tees.  They break pretty easily so be sure to have several on hand.

Good luck.  And by the way, it is perfectly legal to mark your tee with a Sharpie.  I've even seen someone who puts a piece of tape around the tee to mark the ideal insertion depth.

#9 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

View PostDemolitionMan, on Apr 28 2006, 10:36 AM, said:

You can take a sharpie to your tee.  Only rule on tees is "It must not be longer than 4 inches (101.6 mm) and it must not be designed or manufactured in such a way that it could indicate the line of play or influence the movement of the ball"
http://golftees.com/korectee.html

This is slightly off topic, however this is one of the things about the USGA that REALLY bugs me.  There seem to be double standards with the approval of products and the rules.  

If legal tees can't influence the movement of the ball, then shouldn't the Epoch's and Rip Sticks be illegal?  They launch the ball with "less spin and deflection" resulting in longer and straighter drives.  Right?  

Longer and straighter sound like influencing the movement of the ball to me . . . or does the USGA also think that these tees are bogus?  Clearly they're approved since week after week there are huge cases of them shipped out to to the Tour.

#10 Gallery_lee0073_*

Gallery_lee0073_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Play with 3 length of tees...
2 3/4" - normal or high driver trajectory
2 1/8" - low driver trajectory
broken tees - for irons and fairway woods.

Insert the 2 3/4" & 2 1/8" tees just enough to hold the ball up - very seldomly break tees this way.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

wait a second... Those epoch tees what do they advertise to do again? I saw a pack of tees at the golf store yesterday called anti Slice. They look like a computer chair but as a tee. Wow people dont switch there swing but look for tees to help them :)

#12 Noncenx

Noncenx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7243
  • Ebay ID:Noncenx
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

I've spent an evening with a bag of tees and a marker to be able to have a consistant height but lately I've just been using the brush tees.  I'm not into the hype of hitting longer or straighter (can't tell a difference) but I like just pushing it into the base and teeing it up.  A pair of driver tees last me 8-10 weeks (3-4 rds a week).

#13 sillysack11

sillysack11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11555

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

saw a tip from one of the pros on tv once (hal sutton?) for the driver. grip the ball on the tee in your hand, with the tee extending between your middle and ring finger.... then extend your pointer or pinky finger (preference for height) and put the tee into the ground until your exteded finger touches the ground.  After that you can make a small adjustment if that's not quite the right height.  This way you just to have to make sure you're playing with tees that are long enough and not a specific length.

#14 vthokie1157

vthokie1157

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9262

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

id just tap the driver head on the ground right before i step behind the ball but after i tee it up to check it and make a mini swing like retief does sometimes (dont know if he still does) and that keeps it good but ive found that lower for me is better because it makes you concentrate on doing things right and getting that solid contact.

#15 braveheart

braveheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 862
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

Use castle tees. They come in uniform heights and make it so you dont even think about it. Shove it into the ground till it stops. 2 3/4 height good for most driver heads but you may larger than that if you use a 460 cc type driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors