Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I can't hit my driver. It doesn't make sense!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56068
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hello, I have a problem with hitting my driver. I've been told that you're supposed to use the same swing for every club, but it just doesn't work for me. I can hit my 4 iron, swinging smoothly, 190ish(callaway x20, uniflex), and 2 hybrid about 225(callaway ft-hybrid, fuji stiff). But with the driver, I hit it low, pop it up, high slice, low slice, low hook, high hook, you name it. When I do hit it decent, it only goes about 240 and the only way I can make it go that far is if I try to swing out of my shoes. My driver is callaway hyperx tour, 9.5, fuji fit-on e360 stiff. Am I supposed to hit it on an upswing or something? I really hate these big 460cc heads, maybe the huge face is causing wind resistance or something. Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 seg1189

seg1189

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89390

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

i think its the wind resistance

#3 cb_golfer

cb_golfer

"fine purveyor of skanky fades"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40976
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

I was told that as well but you have to consider ball position and stance. You're also playing uniflex, which to me, plays almost like a regular while your driver shaft is stiff. The hyper X is generally considered a low spin head so may be the combo is too low spin and low launch for your swing. Try a fitting.

#4 Brandnew

Brandnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82920

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

have you ever been able to play other driver?

Edited by Brandnew, 25 August 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#5 buggyman

buggyman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42737

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

I am pretty much having the same problems right now.  I used to drive the ball really good years ago.  It was not uncommon for me to go a round or two without missing a fairway.  In the last year or so my driver has been getting worse.  Played a tourney a couple weeks ago, and it hit an all time low,  with the driver shanks for three days.  Completely could not even hit the ball.  Hit more then 10 OB's in one round took 5 x's due to not being able to hit the ball off the tee.  Came home and played last week and drove it ok (missed like 2 fairways) but still miss left and right.  Have tried everything.  Have decided to take a little break and figure out what I need to do, or how much I am going to keep playing.  The funny thing is I hit every other club well.  I am just sick of driving the ball so bad, and hitting hybrid or 3 iron off the tee is no fun for me either.

#6 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

When I first started about 5 years ago, i had the callaway hawkeye, probably 350cc's or so (not really sure), it seems like that worked for me better than now. I can't find any drivers in that size anymore (the callaway got damaged), and now i'm just stuck with these monsters. with the old driver, the 'use the same swing for all clubs seemed to work, but with the new driver I don't think it does. Does everyone have a completely different swing with their driver, like put the ball off your left toe, tilt right shoulder down, swing up on the ball etc? Or am I just using the wrong shaft/loft combo, because I really like to just swing easy. I try to emulate ernie els' swing as much as I can, but with that sort of swing, I get no distance off the driver and is a slice. Works very well with all the irons and even hybrids and 3wood. Should I choke up on the club? (i'm only 5'9").

#7 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

I feel you buggyman, it's very frustrating. I'm reduced to hitting 4irons off the tee, because the driver caused me to lose so much confidence. I really think I can shoot in the single digits consistently if only I can hit my driver.

#8 keller62

keller62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87168

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Same problem, I can hit my irons dead straight consistently, but I have a terrible slice with my driver that I just can't get rid of.

#9 Brandnew

Brandnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

is your driver longer than standard? if not i would not. it wouldnt be that much easier to hit
golf is a hard beast. sometimes you may be thinking your copy someone else's technique but you are actually miles apart.  i use one swing for all clubs. is your swing steep? or flat? i believe that your problems stem from two areas one being the correct swing plane. and a driver phobia. can you film yourself?

#10 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

i can't film myself, but my driver is the standard length (with still might be too long for me). my swing is a bit on the steep side, and I think my plane and spine angle is pretty good, i try to maintain my spine angle the best as i can. with long irons, i hit very good, smooth effortless shots. i'm gonna try my friend's driver (he has an older titleist, i think about 400cc's or so), and i'll post the results back on this forum. until then i'll probably just stick with 3w and 4irons off the tee. :(

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 buggyman

buggyman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42737

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

I play my driver at 43 1/2 inches.   When I played my best it was about 10 years ago and I was a club pro for  years (decided to get out of the business).  I played the Callaway Great big bertha (43 inches) for 9 years.  I would play 4 rounds and miss 2-3 fairways.  I quit for 5 years and came back a couple years ago and have NEVER been able to drive the ball like I used too.  I played two multi day tourneys this year the First one I had 12-15 penalty strokes in 3 days due to the driver.  The last day I shot a 78 with 4 penalty strokes off the tee.  I know it is my swing but I feel like the swing is the same with ever club.  This last tourny I played I completely have never been so embarassed on the golf course.  I hit the driver at 90 degree angles.  I felt like Charles Barkley.  I know its in my head now, but I will work it out.  Take some time away from the golf course for a little and work on basics again.  I  have never had a lesson but may take one to video it and see what I am doing.  I think though for some, like myself the bigger drivers have not worked for me like the 360 cc or even wood drivers like when I started playing 20 years ago.

Edited by buggyman, 25 August 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#12 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87856

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

I have a nice draw with all my clubs.  My hand position is different with my driver, compared to my other clubs.  With my driver, the V on my right hand is a little more right, almost past the shoulders.  Basically a strong grip.  My other clubs, the V on the right hand point to my right shoulder.  If I use the same grip on my driver as I do with my other clubs, my drives would snap/duck hook.

#13 Brandnew

Brandnew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

Crazie.eddie, on Aug 25 2009, 09:52 PM, said:

I have a nice draw with all my clubs.  My hand position is different with my driver, compared to my other clubs.  With my driver, the V on my right hand is a little more right, almost past the shoulders.  Basically a strong grip.  My other clubs, the V on the right hand point to my right shoulder.  If I use the same grip on my driver as I do with my other clubs, my drives would snap/duck hook.

a strong is a common quick fix but does not build a stable foundation to a consistent repeatable powerful swing.

what you want is a neutral grip.

im 5'7" and i play all standard clubs. so i dont think that is your issue.
your issue lies in the swing plane. i used to have the same problem you did. my old swing was steep  and i "cupped" my hand near the top of the backswing. now my swing is flatter and my hand is in the correct posture.

its really hard to help you without seeing your swing.

is your driver neutral?

Edited by Brandnew, 25 August 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#14 swamp

swamp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73683

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

When ever I am have problems with my driver. I usually just switch to my 3 wood for a while. Last week i was slicing my driver really bad. Couldnt fix it at all no matter what i did. So i went to my 3 wood. I hit it straight, lost some yards but thats no big deal.  Instead of a 8 or 9 iron, its a 6 or 7 iron.

#15 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30156
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

When I first started about 5 years ago, i had the callaway hawkeye, probably 350cc's or so (not really sure), it seems like that worked for me better than now. I can't find any drivers in that size anymore (the callaway got damaged), and now i'm just stuck with these monsters. with the old driver, the 'use the same swing for all clubs seemed to work, but with the new driver I don't think it does.

it's not hard to find older drivers with smaller heads,
if that's what you want.

Edited by sk373, 25 August 2009 - 10:33 PM.

#16 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

okay, i went to the range and tried some stuff out, and i think i found something that works. what i did was use a different golf swing for the driver. my irons, i would just swing smoothly with keeping an emphasis on stability, turning with shoulders and keeping my spine angle. For my new driver swing, I tried turning back fast, and start rotating forward as soon as you feel that you can't turn anymore and feel a lot of tension and then rotate through as fast as I can (sort of like anthony kim). My tempo is completely different now than my iron shots, but I managed to hit it about 280-300 with this swing. I changed my takeaway to ridiculously fast and tried to make sure that my turn forward was about 3 times as fast as that. Maybe it's the difference in the flex of my driver (stiff) and irons (uniflex), but this seems to work. I also put the ball more forward, tee'd it up so about 1/2 the ball was showing, and set the club about 4 inches behind the ball with the clubface open (i still mostly hit draws that start a little right and then come back). I don't think this would work for everyone, but for the time being, I'm going to practice this swing, only for the driver. thanks for all the responses so far, and let me know if you think this swing change will earn me trips to the chiropractor (it is pretty violent).

#17 Aogolf

Aogolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44783

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hey cb  golfer,

I noticed that you hit a 9015D driver.  I am hitting the same exact set up as you with a whiteboard.  I'm curious, have you hit the new Speedline yet? The one with the green lettering?  If so, what is your reaction?  Thanks for your help..

#18 carn9698

carn9698

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87353

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Just get yourself an R9 10.5 with reg shaft. Problem solved.
Sounds like you`ve got a smooth swing like me. 90 to 95mph max. Stiff is for 100mph only. end of story. why would any1 ever want to muscle the ball. its all tempo. building that tempo evry shot of evry round til ur a machine. you`ve got to know where its coming down. get the R9 and mess with weights and hosel position til you get correct shot height and 5 yrd draw. stick to that and swing smooth evry time and you`ll get 250 yrds 90% of the time. R9 is 420 cc, so wind resistance aint a prob. with a 460 it aint a prob either when swung smooth. Been playing 30 yrs and R9 is the answer.

#19 p0gim0n

p0gim0n

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65895
  • Ebay ID:1

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I had the same problem the whole summer.  Before I was able to nail my driver a really good distance straight down the fairway.  Then all of a sudden...a mental block.  I can hit everything else BUT my driver.  It forced to tee up just using my 3 wood.  My misses was exactly like yours.  It was sporatic.  It went all over the place.  Sometimes it goes like 50 yards.....very embarrassing.  I knew it was a mental block because I was hitting my fairway woods really well...as well as...borrowing and trying all my friend's different drivers.  No matter what driver I used, it was the same damn thing.

Just last week, I got my driver swing back.  It took me a long time mostly because I was embarrassed to practice in the range so I only pulled out the driver when there were not a lot of people at the range.. :russian_roulette:

Anyways, what I ended up doing was really slowing down my swing tempo and trying to get back the rythm.  I noticed that when I had my driver in my hand, I got really tense and anxious.  So I try to hit the driver 100 yards.  With the same swing, I hit it 175....then 225.  I kept doing this until I got that old feeling back.  Trying to make sure I hit it true each swing.  Once I got comfortable with my swing then I started to add more power and tried to hit the ball farther.  The key is to have the same tempo on the backswing each time and add more juice in the downswing.

I think that if I wasnt embarrassed with my driver, I couldve fixed this problem sooner.  These damn sumos are just so damn loud....hitting them 50 yards and everyone looking at you....is one way to make the problem even worse. LOL.

Well, I think Im OK now....Give that a try and hope it works for you.

M

Edited by p0gim0n, 29 August 2009 - 03:02 AM.

#20 Cha0tiic

Cha0tiic

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83875
  • Ebay ID:Geer2

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Good to see others are having the same problem.  Lately I can only hit every other club in the bag  :lol:  The driver has been straying right on nearly every drive and as soon as I seem to fix it with a knockdown drive, it shockingly comes back again.  I have a decent swing and I know I have a quality driver so I can't blame it.  The face is 1* open, does anyone know if that will cause a slice?  I used to hook my drives so I was hoping it would help... lost at the moment.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 cb_golfer

cb_golfer

"fine purveyor of skanky fades"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40976
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

View PostAogolf, on Aug 28 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

Hey cb  golfer,

I noticed that you hit a 9015D driver.  I am hitting the same exact set up as you with a whiteboard.  I'm curious, have you hit the new Speedline yet? The one with the green lettering?  If so, what is your reaction?  Thanks for your help..

I've hit the Speedline 9032 and the Speedline but not with whiteboards. I much prefer the 9032 over the plain Speedline. Although the 9032 spins more than 9015. Both of the Speedline drivers I tried sat square.

#22 armchaircaddy

armchaircaddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59231

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostCha0tiic, on Aug 28 2009, 08:17 PM, said:

Good to see others are having the same problem.  Lately I can only hit every other club in the bag  :lol:  The driver has been straying right on nearly every drive and as soon as I seem to fix it with a knockdown drive, it shockingly comes back again.  I have a decent swing and I know I have a quality driver so I can't blame it.  The face is 1* open, does anyone know if that will cause a slice?  I used to hook my drives so I was hoping it would help... lost at the moment.

Even if the face is open, if you deliver the clubhead square at impact, it shouldn't matter. My driver miss is a huge slice. I know it comes from an over the top move that I can't shake, that and I have a hard time hitting the ball on the upswing. I fight the tendency to drive my body through the shot before I give the club and shaft time to come back to the ball square. My best drives are when my upper body is just a little behind the ball and catch it square on the upswing before finishing hard on my left. Sometimes I'll feel like I've made a decending blow at the ball with driver and it's a horrid low worm burner slice. Yuck.

#23 Cha0tiic

Cha0tiic

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83875
  • Ebay ID:Geer2

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

View Postarmchaircaddy, on Aug 28 2009, 11:04 PM, said:

View PostCha0tiic, on Aug 28 2009, 08:17 PM, said:

Good to see others are having the same problem. Lately I can only hit every other club in the bag :lol: The driver has been straying right on nearly every drive and as soon as I seem to fix it with a knockdown drive, it shockingly comes back again. I have a decent swing and I know I have a quality driver so I can't blame it. The face is 1* open, does anyone know if that will cause a slice? I used to hook my drives so I was hoping it would help... lost at the moment.

Even if the face is open, if you deliver the clubhead square at impact, it shouldn't matter. My driver miss is a huge slice. I know it comes from an over the top move that I can't shake, that and I have a hard time hitting the ball on the upswing. I fight the tendency to drive my body through the shot before I give the club and shaft time to come back to the ball square. My best drives are when my upper body is just a little behind the ball and catch it square on the upswing before finishing hard on my left. Sometimes I'll feel like I've made a decending blow at the ball with driver and it's a horrid low worm burner slice. Yuck.

makes sense, i think my swing has been far too loose lately, i need to firm it up and be more fluid.  i guess when you put it in the context of simply making the clubhead square it makes things seem a lot easier.  simplify, rectify.

#24 happyroman

happyroman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54651
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

I think part of your answer lies in the way you expressed your question. To paraphrase, you said you were trying to swing the driver with the same swing as your 4-iron and were getting poor results.  As I am sure you are probably aware, the driver is meant to be swung differently than the other clubs.

Irons perform best when struck with a slightly descending blow. The driver should be struck with a level to slightly upward blow.  Most of this can be accomplished by proper set up and ball position. You may need to move the ball further forward in your stance with the driver.

When you discussed practice with the new driver, you said that you needed to swing with a much faster tempo than normal in order to get satisfactory results.  I think this could lead to big trouble in the long run, or could at least result in a lot of inconsistency.  Instead of trying to swing all of the clubs the same, try and focus on making all full swings with the same tempo. To help with this, you might look into John Novosels's book, Tour Tempo.

One last thought. You indicate that you have a steep swing plane.  If it is too steep, the driver is more difficult to hit.  Try to feel as though you are swinging more back and through, rather than more of an up and down feel.  Feel as though the sole of the clubhead is skipping over the turf just before impact so that you feel like you are swinging level and approaching impact just after the swing arc has bottomed.

Shawn Clement has some excellent videos on how to hit the driver on Youtube.  Here's a link:  

#25 EagleEye

EagleEye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

i checked out the tour tempo thing right now and it sounds very interesting. all tour pros have a 3 to 1 ratio...so does that mean that the length of the swing (in seconds) is the same for every club though? Because if that's the case, wouldn't the driver's backswing/downswing have to be faster for it to be completed in the same amount of time as a short iron?

#26 scotte

scotte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120358
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

are you having trouble getting out of the sand too?  if you are,  I know the problem.  you are not being smooth enough with your driver.  yes you take the same swing, but you can't hit like you do an iron.  driver needs to be smooth.

your pattern of spraying the ball all over is a good sign your swinging too hard.  also, like for me, when I swing hard with my driver, it never goes as far as when I am smooth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors