Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best AWD car under $30k... new or used

45 replies to this topic

#1 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6596
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hey everybody... I'm currently in the market for a new whip and I'm stuck on trying to figure out which is best for me.  I live in Salt Lake so I need AWD but I have a 20 mile commute so I want decent mpg too.  I'm thinking about the Mitsu Lancer Ralliart, but I'm open to any suggestions.  I really want a nice lcd screen navi package too, so what do you guys think?  Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

The 09 WRX wagon is nice.  90% of the STi hatchback performance for quite a few grand less.  You can also get a fairly nice V8 S4 used for under 30K but it's a gas guzzler.  If you want a AWD car with decent MPG but still a little bit of luxury like you mentioned check out a used Subaru Legacy GT B-Spec.  It's a grown up WRX STi with essentially the same drivetrain, a nice interior, navigation etc.

Edited by CosmosMpower, 25 August 2009 - 04:49 PM.

TM SLDR 430 TP 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini TP 14* DI-6s
TM SLDR 21* Black Tie hM3 95s
TM Speedblades 4-AW C-Taper 90s
TM Tour Preferred 54/58 KBS Tour V
Ping Anser IWI

#3 gmetcalf18

gmetcalf18

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69264
  • Ebay ID:gmetcalf1887
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

if you want a peppy sedan fully loaded that gets about 26 mpg highway, you can find an 07 or 08 cadillac sts awd for about 30 with 20k miles on it or so. Ive got an 08, and i just flipped 19k miles, comfortable, classy, fully loaded with navigation and all that, and handles better in the snow the my 08 chrysler 300 awd by a long shot

#4 Golfdaddy44

Golfdaddy44

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91643
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

2007 Lincoln MKZ's are going for about half of what they were new right now. I have seen some clean examples with low mileage for 15-17k. The interiors are plush, and with the 3.5 V6, power is decent. It comes in AWD and the THX sound system is rated as one of the best. It's not sporty like a lancer, but it will ride more like a luxury car than a rally car. Stiff springs and shocks are great in the corners, but for an everyday driver, I want something a little more plush.
Cobra Orange Bio Cell 'ahina 70
Adams Super LS fairway 17*  White Tie
Adams Super Hybrid XTD Ti 21* Fubuki Axe
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-AW KBS Tour
Callaway X-forged MD C-grind 53* and 58*
Scotty Cameron Squareback w/ Salty Jumbo

#5 yoshiod9

yoshiod9

Copper? Nice...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57946
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:yoshiod9
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

get a subie.  i've got an 08 civic si now, but the other car i was looking to purchase was an 07 wrx wagon.  when i went to the dealerships, they only had the new 08 models in stock (i'm not a big fan of buying brand new body styles-- sometimes there are too many issues in the first releases of a trim change).

#6 justincredible04

justincredible04

Justincredible04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60545
  • Ebay ID:dvdseller04 + Justincredible04
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

I really wanted a small awd hatch so I would suggest an

audi A4 (avant) or A3/S3

or even the new sti

I ended up getting an IS350 (totally off from what I wanted, I know)

#7 Mr Mizuno

Mr Mizuno

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3046
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Fiat Panda.

#8 homi mike

homi mike

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76713
  • Ebay ID:homiusang

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:51 AM

Any Subaru that suits your eyes will fit the bill, unless you have to go german, then a A4 Avant or 325/328xi (lightly used)

#9 87vert

87vert

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85689
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

BMW 328xi

or a BMW 335xi if you can splurge a bit more :)

#10 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9650

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

^^^

+1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 PSUH

PSUH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88754
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

You can get a brand new Jeep Patriot for around 18K with 4wd capabilities. They get around 25 mpg and are very roomy inside. Not to sure but I believe they are still under lifetime powertrain warranty as well.

#12 mbbrewer

mbbrewer

Tour Winner

• 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22855

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

View PostPSUH, on Aug 29 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

You can get a brand new Jeep Patriot for around 18K with 4wd capabilities. They get around 25 mpg and are very roomy inside. Not to sure but I believe they are still under lifetime powertrain warranty as well.
Assuming Chrysler will be around for the rest of our lifetime :fool:

#13 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 399

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

View Postmbbrewer, on Aug 29 2009, 11:35 PM, said:

View PostPSUH, on Aug 29 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

Assuming Chrysler will be around for the rest of our lifetime :fool:

They won't be if there rest of the world goes like this thread and buys foreign ****.
How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

#14 87vert

87vert

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85689
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

View Postpinhigh27, on Aug 30 2009, 08:10 AM, said:

They won't be if there rest of the world goes like this thread and buys foreign ****.

I'll buy american when the "American" brands make something worth buying that isnt built by corrupt unions.

#15 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

New: 2010 Ford Fusion AWD

Used: 2 year old certified preowned Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T. Awesome car, good warranty, and pretty good gas mileage for a "premium" car.

#16 CUTiger

CUTiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15446

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Buy the Chrysler 300C - my brother in law has one (non AWD) with the hemi and the thing is awesome. It's got tons of pick-up and plenty of room. The trunk is huge, and plenty of cabin space. People who think this car isn't every bit as nice as a European equivalent are absolutely nuts.

#17 jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9334
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

View PostCUTiger, on Sep 8 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

Buy the Chrysler 300C - my brother in law has one (non AWD) with the hemi and the thing is awesome. It's got tons of pick-up and plenty of room. The trunk is huge, and plenty of cabin space. People who think this car isn't every bit as nice as a European equivalent are absolutely nuts.

Call me nuts

#18 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

View Postjimmyjames, on Sep 8 2009, 10:57 PM, said:

View PostCUTiger, on Sep 8 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

Call me nuts

+1

Obviously Chrysler cars aren't that good as they are out of business :russian_roulette: :black eye:

BMW and Mercedes-Benz are still in business.

Edited by Jer-Jer, 08 September 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#19 CUTiger

CUTiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

what do car quality and profit margin have to do with each other?

#20 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

View PostCUTiger, on Sep 8 2009, 11:48 PM, said:

what do car quality and profit margin have to do with each other?

In my opinion quite a lot.  Either their cars sucked or their branding sucked.  Take your pick.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 CUTiger

CUTiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hmm, your profile says you are 17, so I doubt you've ever driven a Chrysler (and maybe any car for that matter). I doubt your qualified to really comment on the quality of Car A vs. Car B.

Chryler and GM didn't declare bankruptcy because their cars "sucked" (as you so eloquently put it). Rather, the UAW's ridiculous demands were the reason. Why do you think BMW builds their cars in South Carolina? Google a "right to work state". Why do you think Toyota builds their cars in Tennessee? My point is Chrysler cars are not crappy. They didn't declare bankruptcy because nobody wanted their cars.

They declared bankruptcy because they faced (and still do) costs that their competitors do not.

#22 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

View PostCUTiger, on Sep 9 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Hmm, your profile says you are 17, so I doubt you've ever driven a Chrysler (and maybe any car for that matter). I doubt your qualified to really comment on the quality of Car A vs. Car B.

Chryler and GM didn't declare bankruptcy because their cars "sucked" (as you so eloquently put it). Rather, the UAW's ridiculous demands were the reason. Why do you think BMW builds their cars in South Carolina? Google a "right to work state". Why do you think Toyota builds their cars in Tennessee? My point is Chrysler cars are not crappy. They didn't declare bankruptcy because nobody wanted their cars.

They declared bankruptcy because they faced (and still do) costs that their competitors do not.

I love how you belittle my comments just because I'm 17.  You assume so much with very little information to back your statements.  You don't know me.  You don't know what I know or what I drive or what I have driven.

And why so defensive?  I merely made a statement.  If you don't agree with it, move on or state rationally and respectfully why you disagree.  I don't need to get into an argument about something so minor that doesn't even have to do with the topic of the thread really.

If your expenses don't equal your profits (or profits aren't more than expenses) than something is wrong.  If their costs are higher than competitors something is wrong.  Chrysler had a poor business structure just like GM.

Edited by Jer-Jer, 09 September 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#23 golf9596

golf9596

Major Winner

• 1,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 884
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have the same issues to solve as you w/a new ride...My choices are down to the following;

2010 Subaru Outback w/4 banger...AWD and 26 combined MPG

2007-2008 Lexus is250(used)....AWD and 25 combined MPG

2010 Ford Taurus....AWD and 25 combined MPG ( 33K)

Opted for a WV..CC Touring...26 combined MPG and will add 4 winter tires....(25K plus tires)
:clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:
RBZ Tour 9*- Attas 3-S
SLDR HL-16*-stock -X
Adams Pro 20* Hybrid w/ Black Tie-S
Adams DHY 24*, Ping S55/ZZ-65 5-PW
Scotty Newport Button Back….….
Vokey 50* Macdaddy2 54*/58*

#24 CUTiger

CUTiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

View PostJer-Jer, on Sep 9 2009, 09:30 PM, said:

I love how you belittle my comments just because I'm 17.  You assume so much with very little information to back your statements.  You don't know me.  You don't know what I know or what I drive or what I have driven.

And why so defensive?  I merely made a statement.  If you don't agree with it, move on or state rationally and respectfully why you disagree.  I don't need to get into an argument about something so minor that doesn't even have to do with the topic of the thread really.

If your expenses don't equal your profits (or profits aren't more than expenses) than something is wrong.  If their costs are higher than competitors something is wrong.  Chrysler had a poor business structure just like GM.

I didn't mean to insult you, I'm simply making the point that you're 17 and depending on your state, you probably can't even drive yet! That's not a personal attack, it's a fact really. I am not defensive, I simply made the point that Chrysler and GM didn't declare bankruptcy because nobody wanted their cars.

Now you are saying that you "merely made a statement. If I don't agree with it, I should move on". Look back through the post. Originally, I simply made a statement about the Chrysler 300 being every bit as a good as a European car. I merely made a statement. If you didn't agree with it, you should have moved on. You say that I should "rationally and respectfully disagree" with your comments. How was your original reply to my comment rational or respectful?

#25 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

View PostCUTiger, on Sep 10 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

View PostJer-Jer, on Sep 9 2009, 09:30 PM, said:

I didn't mean to insult you, I'm simply making the point that you're 17 and depending on your state, you probably can't even drive yet! That's not a personal attack, it's a fact really. I am not defensive, I simply made the point that Chrysler and GM didn't declare bankruptcy because nobody wanted their cars.

Now you are saying that you "merely made a statement. If I don't agree with it, I should move on". Look back through the post. Originally, I simply made a statement about the Chrysler 300 being every bit as a good as a European car. I merely made a statement. If you didn't agree with it, you should have moved on. You say that I should "rationally and respectfully disagree" with your comments. How was your original reply to my comment rational or respectful?

I didn't say anything attacking.  My post was sorta a joking post.  Some other guy said "call me nuts."  And it's all good man.  I don't want to get in an argument.

#26 jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9334
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

CUTiger those states you commented on are THANKFUL those companies are building cars in their states. They were formerly textile / farming communities that would otherwise be buried in a tanking economy. And no a 300c can not hold a candlestick to it's European or Asian equivalent.

#27 CUTiger

CUTiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

Of course those states are happy to have non-union manufacturing plants! When did I ever imply that they weren't? If I did imply that...I certainly didn't mean to.

We could compare cars all day long, but in the end, a lot of it comes down to preference. I simply wanted to express the point that Chrysler & GM did not declare bankruptcy because a lack of demand.

The other gentlemen said:

"Obviously Chrysler cars aren't that good as they are out of business russian_roulette.gif black eye.gif

BMW and Mercedes-Benz are still in business."

I didn't even address the fact that Chrysler is still in fact "in business". You mention that the Chrysler 300 can't compare foreign imports but have you honestly ever driven one? Maybe you have, but most people who put down American cars haven't owned (or driven one) in 20 years.

We're definitely not going to get anywhere here. I'm certainly not going to e-convince you that the Chrysler is a good car. Test drive one and decide for yourself. I'll let you guys have the last word.

#28 OzzDOA

OzzDOA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88786
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Mazdaspeed 6.  Great car.  Turbocharged 2.3 liter direct injected inline 4 putting out 265 horsepower, 6 speed trans and great handling.  You can pick one up with low miles under $20k.
Cram it with walnuts!

#29 mwink822

mwink822

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62954
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

A few come to mind:

Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
BMW 330xi
Lexis IS 350
Subaru Impreza WRX or WRX STi
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
913D3 7.5* Aldila RIP'd VS Proto 60
910 Fd 13.5* PX 8A4
Adams Pro A12 16* Altus
4-P 714 MB KBS Tour V SS
Vokey SM5 50F,54M, 58M KBS Tour V SS
Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5 Proto

#30 Munich77

Munich77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87287
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Another couple to add to the list:
(1) Audi A3 Quattro
(2) SAAB 9-3 (aka re-badged Impreza)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors