Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ADAMS PRO BLACK HYBRID / IN HAND PICS AND REVIEW

146 replies to this topic

#1 mezmorize

mezmorize

GolfClubStop

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378
  • Ebay ID:golfclubstop
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Here it is guys,  my review on the new ADAMS Pro Black Hybrid.  The loft I tested is 18* shafted with a new Project X HC 1 Hybrid shaft in X flex.  Everything pretty standard as far as specs go (length loft lie etc).  I tested on 3 occasions as well as had my playing buddies who happen to be PGA and Senior PGA tour players. Unfortunately I am not able to mention names do to contract reasons but who better to test something. They are not Adams contracted players but since some of them are my playing buddies I had them give it a try and got some great feedback.  Who better to hit a club then a guy who hits it perfect 7 out of 10 times.  Here is what i came up with.

Looks and shape:  No surprise here my buddies (tour players) and I loved the look.  Not one complaint.  Adams has made this thing so sleek and smooth looking.  The all black finish gives this hybrid an unreal look.  Everyone commented on how the club just looks so smooth and appealing to the eye.   The all black club head makes it very stealthy and just plain awesome looking.  I commented on how I love the way they have shortened the width of the club but kept the face deep (they also agreed). This hybrid is a very minimal to no offset hybrid which I absolutely love. I personally do not favor offset nor do most of my buddies who tested it.  It may have a little offset based on spec but my eye tells me only a touch.  The looks in our opinion of the Pro Black hybrid are just perfect.  We all loved it!!  Please check out the pictures and you will see how nice it is!  IT IS SWEET LOOKING!!!

Performance:   Adams is the number one hybrid for a reason.  They make a wonderful hybrid.  Although not every Adams hybrid will not fit every player I will bet you that they make one that is perfect for you.  They plain and simple make a fantastic hybrid and the best in the game.  The Pro Black is going to appeal to the mid to low handicap so everyone who was testing it fit the criteria.  I am a 3 to a 10 handicap depending on the time of year and how many rounds I am playing at the time.  When I opened the box and saw it loved it immediately.  After hitting a few balls and warming up I gave it a few swings.  What I look for in a hybrid is a boring ball flight that I can height control.  First few balls I hit where a bit to low but this was operator error.  The Indian not the arrow.  As I started to warm up and hit the thing it was doing what I wanted it to do.  I was able to hit a medium to a medium high ball flight which is perfect.  It flew great and went the distance I expected.... actually a little further then my gamer. What was nice is their was absolutely zero floating/rising on both ball flights and the best thing was that I was hitting into a slight wind.  Here is when I handed the club off to one of my pro buddies and said check this out.  This particular player that I handed this club to next will not even hit another ball with a club if the first one he hits has any type of rise or distance reducing floating or hooks.  First ball he hit was blistered right at a flag we measured to be 215 yards into a 1 club wind.  He smoked the thing numerous times.  He uses an 18* hybrid of another brand and was not hitting his club within 7 yards of this club in the exact same loft.  His shaft was different and also longer which can play a difference I know but his club should have been going further do to his shaft length.  First thing that came out of his mouth is man I love how far I hit this thing and the shaft is shorter.  I can hit it lower then mine, it is shorter and it goes further.  He loves it anytime he can hit something lower!  I think I may be able to get him to change so needless to say he loved what he saw and I enjoyed watching it.  I then decided to let someone else hit it.  This player has been using the same hybrid for 3 years.  Most of the time he will try something I hand him but he just hits it and goes that pretty good and usually hands the club back.  He is much of a club changer once he finds something.  He just needs his stuff to work and switches when the face caves in on his gamer.  He also has a hybrid that is 17* actual.  Guess what although not contracted with Adams we now have another Adams to compare it to.  His 3 year old hybrid is an Idea Pro.  I am thinking just should be interesting because I will get a comparison and a good test.  He hit the first ball to low just because he was not used to the weight and length and offset.  He started also smoking the ball and the flight was unreal.  He was hitting the thing high with no spin and he could hit a low 2 iron type stinger that Tiger hits.  Basically whatever he asked it to do.  I stayed back and observed quietly him hit about 10-15 balls.  The first thing that came out of his mouth after he handed it back is "I love the shape and look,  do you have another one of these or can I have this one".  I laughed because this was unexpected. I knew even though he was hitting the thing great I did not expect him to ask me this because is old hybrid was still in one piece.  My reply,  get your own because I am liking it as well.  He took down the specs and is going to have one built just like it.  We may see a switch.  He liked the look better and loved the flight compared to his Idea pro is basically what he told me.  The third player I let hit this on another session is still a 2 iron player.  He  is not hip to a hybrid yet.  He took one look at it and said if I was to play a hybrid this would be the one shape wise.  He hit a couple of balls and said I may have to try one of these out.  Keep in mind this is a guy who refuses to take out his 2 iron.  He will be taken to the dark side of hybrids and what better then to switch to the one that has Darth Vader in mind.  The overall performance of this club was great.  We all liked what it was doing which was great because sometimes looks does not meet performance....NOT IN THIS CASE!  It looks and performs great!  Adams has the hybrid department down and they continue to make product that just shines.  GO ADAMS!!!  

Feel and sound.  No surprises again.  Based on shape and looks when I first saw the club I kind of knew what to expect with sound and feel. Do to head profile the feel is more solid with less sound which was expected.  Everyone loved the feel and sound,  no complaints.  The sound is great as most Adams hybrids are.  The sound of the Pro Black is a more solid thwack/tink.  Perfect sound and feel that I prefer and most lower/mid handicap players looks for.  All the guys I had test the club loved the sound and feel.  One guy said he likes slightly more sound but it was OK.  Sound and feel in most cases can be changed by many different factors.  Shaft, shaft weight, weight plug, hot melt etc all can play a factor in feel and sound.  For the particular player who liked more sound I know he would have gotten what he was looking for with a steel shaft just like the one he plays in his gamer.  He knew right away that would make the difference.  

Overall:  WE HAVE A WINNER!!  This is going to be a great hybrid for a low to mid handicap player.  I think this one will be a great hit for Adams.  I can not wait for you guys to have a chance to hit one.  Please enjoy the pictures and review. If I have forgotten something please chime in and let me know.  ENJOY!!!!    
[attachment=453476:90313.JPG]
[attachment=453477:90312.JPG]
[attachment=453478:90311.JPG]

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Mike_C

Mike_C

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18026
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Looks sweet.....Is this coming to retail???
WITB
Cobra LTD Pro 9.5, Red Tie X or 2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
Srixon Z F85 15* HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.0
Srixon U65 20* Miyazaki 7 S
Srixon Z945  4-PW Recoil Proto F5
Cleveland RTX4 52 Mid Recoil Proto 110 F5
Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
Callaway MD 4 60/12 W Recoil 125 F5
Cleveland Classics BRZ 2
Srixon Z Star

#3 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hearing nothing but good things about this hybrid.
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#4 viperstudio

viperstudio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22684
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

what loft is available for this hybrid?
TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5° backup)
TI M2 (2016) 13.5° TS AD-GP 7x
TM P790 2 UDI bent 16° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (TI RSi TP UDI 1MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX backup)

TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 S
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° and 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

#5 Bucken77

Bucken77

Poor Mans Ho

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78551
  • Ebay ID:bucken77
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

When will you have these for sale and how much?

Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
Titleist SM4 52/58
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

#6 ramylson

ramylson

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13159
  • Ebay ID:ramylson
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Very nice looking club there. I've switched from a J33 hybrid to their iron-hybrid, and have been really pleased with the results. But, with how that club looks and apparantly performs, I think I'm going to have to try it out..

What are the specifics associated (release, price point, etc)?

#7 SUBPARJ

SUBPARJ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59375
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Now is this just a black Pro Gold? Because it looks like a nice combo between a Peanut II and Pro GOld in black. Sweet looking club

#8 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 2096

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:52 PM

very sleek.  I could see this replacing my 5 iron.
PING  G400 Max 10°
PING  G400 16.5°

PING  G400 hybrid 19°
PING  i25 hybrid 22°
Callaway  XHP 5-AW
PING  Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
Spalding  T.P.M. 3
Snell  MTB Red

#9 kinneywhat

kinneywhat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29575

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I just switched to an Adams hybrid, as I've always been a fan of the company and have never had one before.  I played Tight Lies woods when they first came out and then a few years after that, a newer version of them and always loved them.  I got an A7 pnt in 19*.  I love it.  Very forgiving and long.  This club you have there looks amazing, but looks a lot more demanding as well.  I love the black finish though.

Adams really does some great things with golf clubs.  I'd love to move to AZ and find a way to get a job with either Ping or Adams, but that's more of a pipe dream than anything.  Being an engineer and golf enthusiast, that would be the pinnacle of my working career.  Adams really does make the best hybrid in the game.

#10 Tim Delgado

Tim Delgado

In Vino (and Golf) Veritas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3858
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Great-looking AND great-performing hybrid.  I was told that these black beauties were the "matching" hybrids for the black MBs.  Makes sense, player irons and player hybrids.

Definately NOT as forgiving as the Peanut 2, but IMO about the same (forgiveness-wise) as the Idea Pro and maybe just a hair less forgiving than the Idea Pro.

This is a true "player" hybrid IMO.  A good player can easily work the ball either way with this beauty, similar to the Idea Pro'w workability.  As I have said before, the Peanut 2 can be worked a little, but really just wants to go straight.  I need the forgiveness of the Peanut! :lol:

Adams continues to release STRONG products! :aggressive:

Tim

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 slickpitt

slickpitt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81501
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

Very nice looking club there!!!

#12 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 4264

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

Really digging this hybrid. I love my idea pros, not so big on the golds but this just looks perfect. Are these going to be retail or tour only. If they are coming to retail what will the stock shaft be?
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#13 18StrokeGolf

18StrokeGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65154
  • Handicap:9.5

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

Very nice!  I could see one of these replacing my 2 iron.

#14 Trendsetter916

Trendsetter916

AKA Smokey916

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66376
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

I've had my 9031 df proto for a while now and love it. It's the only hybrid I've been able to hit so well.I love the versatility of the hybrid and it's small size.

#15 ztonz

ztonz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30061

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

When is this slated for release?

#16 tjewell1994

tjewell1994

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59470
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

how much is it going for?

#17 golftitleist

golftitleist

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35598

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Thank you to all the people that have asked the same questions for like the 15th time, solid contribution.

This looks awesome. Definitely a players club, I'll be praying for a lefty one.

#18 mbbrewer

mbbrewer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22855
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I just love Adams Hybrids.  I'd LOVE to try this out.

#19 byw

byw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26859
  • Ebay ID:bw_199
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

any one know if it is coming to retail and at what cost
Taylormade 440 M3 9 Project X Hzurdus T1100 75 6.5
Taylormade 17 M1 15 Project X Hzurdus T1100 95 6.5
Miura MB 001 3-PW DG X7
Fourteen Raw 54,58 DG Tour Issue Black Onyx
Taylormade MG Hi Toe 64
Edel Classic Fit Mackenzie

#20 JimmyP91

JimmyP91

Advanced

• 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68435
  • Ebay ID:Jimmyp91
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

so bummed.. i was supposed to stop by the nationwide last week in springfield mo.. and pick one of these up.. and i was outta town until thursday.. the truck leaves wednesday pm.. miscommunication sucks

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Mick Ill Son!

Mick Ill Son!

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70391

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

I cant wait to get mine (lefty may take a minute) but I will have some righty's for sale in my shop in a couple of weeks!

#22 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1
GolfWRX Likes : 3968

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

Head is awesome looking. Anthony Kim thought it not just looked good but performed also. Here is a shot of his from the WGC...

Posted Image
Twitter @richardaudi
easyyy WITB
richard@golfwrx.com

#23 Bucken77

Bucken77

Poor Mans Ho

• 2,113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Awesome pic right there Easy. Looks like a 20 degree which is exactly what I want. I'm hoping these don't cost an arm and a leg.
Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
Titleist SM4 52/58
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89

#24 gmetcalf18

gmetcalf18

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69264
  • Ebay ID:gmetcalf1887
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

imagine that thing with a matrix black tie edition shaft.... oh man, gonna have to atleast try it.
Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
Srixon Z Star

#25 whatshannenin

whatshannenin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39849
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

gmetcalf18, on Aug 20 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

imagine that thing with a matrix black tie edition shaft.... oh man, gonna have to atleast try it.

Stock shaft will be Altus in black.  Looks good, but not as good as an Altus 96 Low however.

#26 bambooluv

bambooluv

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15866
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

Called Adams and the rep said possible late year release. My local rep brought the club in, and all I can say is that I cannot wait to get two of these hybrids in my bag asap!

#27 burnsniper

burnsniper

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60950
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

bambooluv, on Aug 21 2009, 07:32 PM, said:

Called Adams and the rep said possible late year release. My local rep brought the club in, and all I can say is that I cannot wait to get two of these hybrids in my bag asap!

Local shop manager believes that they are going to be released in September.

#28 Mick Ill Son!

Mick Ill Son!

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70391

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

ProTec dealers such as myself will be getting pre release heads shipping sept 1st. I will be getting 6 heads soon. 2 each of 18, 20, 22. Actual release will nov/dec.

#29 clem

clem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89523
  • Ebay ID:clem.er

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Does anyone know if these will be available in lofts lower than 18*?

#30 Bucken77

Bucken77

Poor Mans Ho

• 2,113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Can anyone say what the retail price will be?

Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
Titleist SM4 52/58
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors