Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Pal 2, Pal 4 & Anser 2 Model Putters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pattaya Dave

Pattaya Dave

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91373
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I am finding great information here pertaining to vintage Ping putters, in particular, the original Anser Series, however I would like to find similar information related to the Ping PAL series and Anser 2 models.  I was looking to purchase either a Ping Pal 2, Ping Pal 4 or Anser 2 BECU model.   I prefer these three models because they are all offered in Beryllium Copper (BECU) versions.  I presently have a set of copper Ping Eye2+ irons.  

All three model putters have shown up regularly on eBay recently, but I am having difficulty distinguishing between the models as to dimensions (size), weight etc.  From the pictures, both the Pal 2 and Pal 4 appear to share similar characteristics.  I did receive one response that said that the Pal 4 club head was a little longer.  The Anser 2 appears about the same as the original Ansers, but possibly with a little longer club head.

Can anyone share some knowledge of these three putters, their differences and their preference of one over another?  Do they weigh relatively the same?
How do they compare to the original Anser series?

Which of the three would you most recommend?  What order of preference?

Pattaya Dave

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 84425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68610
  • Ebay ID:jurren
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

I was going to suggest you have a look over on the puttertalk website Ping forum, but I see you've allready posted your question over there.

From my personal memory (I only own the Pal2 BeCu) the higher the number the longer the putter (heel to toe). So the Pal2 has a longer blade than the Pal and the Pal4 a longer blade than the Pal2. I think the same applies to the various Anser-models.

On the other hand the various models also have different necks. The Pal 4 is similar to the Pal and the Pal 2 similar to the Pal 6. The Pal and Pal 4 I think have more offset because of that, but it's hard to judge from the pictures I'm looking at on ebay right now.

Re weight: no idea what the differences are. However, I do know that the BeCu models weigh slightly more than the SS models.

Preference: I own a Ping Pal 2 BeCu, which is the putter I've used longest of all my putters. I therefore prefer it over the others. I like the longer blade, but don't think i would like it to be longer (so no Pal 4). I also prefer the Anser 2 over the Anser. My order of preference would therefore be: Pal 2 - Anser 2 - Anser - Pal 4. But that's strictly personal, what might look good to me, may very well look wrong to you. I'd advise to just try all three (four) of them out and see which one you prefer. Be sure to take into account the lie angel of all putters. i have no idea of the lie angel is the same on all these ping putters (I highly doubt it).

#3 Pattaya Dave

Pattaya Dave

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91373
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the information; I always wondered what the version numbers had meant.  It makes sense now as I had just seen a Pal 6 on eBay today and the blade looked really long.  I haven't heard anything beforehand pertaining to the different offsets among the models, however I have been told that the Pal 4 club head felt heavier and also that the neck or hosel was a little beefier than that of the Pal 2.  I'll have to research further into the hosel offsets.

One other thing, I saw a Pal 2 for sale with a smooth, stepless, shaft and a Pal 4 with a stepped shaft.  Did Ping use both stepped and stepless shafts on their vintage putters?

I agree, I should try all three. Actually, I am also interested in a copper B 60, know anything about this model?

Anyone else have something to add?

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

#4 84425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68610
  • Ebay ID:jurren
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

the B60's also come with various necks.
B61, B62 and I believe even a B63 (not sure).
All with various offset and the neck/hosel moving closer to the heel when you go up in number (B60 furthest away from the heel, B62/63 closest to the heel)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors