Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Grip removal using air compressor..Star Grip, Grip Mate, Grip Blaster, or just regular nozzle?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87856
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

I've started regripping my own shafts via the grip tape and solvent method.  I'm interested in using an air compressor to recover some grips.  I plan to experiment with grips and I don't want to tear up a grip that's still in real good shape.  I just bought a 3 gal air compressor from Menards for about $120.  I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for the tool to use, either Star Grip, Grip Mate, Grip Blaster, Grip Rite Blow Gun, or the regular air nozzle that came with your compressor.

Edited by Crazie.eddie, 14 August 2009 - 01:04 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hos

hos

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1496
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

I have been using the generic nozzle. It's got a stepped tip on it that unscrews. Works great with a pvc pipe to contain the grip.

#3 Bartok

Bartok

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57008

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

I first bought a grip mate and it came with three needle nozzles. Well all three broke at the weld doing my second regrip with it. I had to use the generic nozzle to complete the job. It so much easier. As hos said with a pvc pipe (mostly for grip removing to prevent it to burst (bad on your ear drum) it is perfect.

#4 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Cool thanks.  What size PVC pipe did you guys use?

#5 justhackin

justhackin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41180
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I use the generic nozzle with the inflater needle installed. Seems to give just the right amount of air and have never exploded a grip.

hackin

#6 toms1090

toms1090

TOMS1090

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40223
  • Ebay ID:toms1090
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

what do you set your psi at?

#7 TKing

TKing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47044
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

Anything that will fit up in the hole tight enough to seal will work.  They're available for less than 10 bucks.  Pressure required varies with volume.  For instance I use 8 psi but the volume is way up there compared to small compressors.

#8 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

According to this site, you need a 3/16" needle...

Make or purchase an air blow gun with a 3/16" air nozzle. The 3/16" is the same size as a common golf tee. Available at this link, and then click on the "Grips" tab.

Anyone know where to get a 3/16" needle?

#9 David Hillman

David Hillman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75809
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

You don't need (or want ) a needle, just the standard $1.99 blow gun that probably came with your compressor will work great.

I use 35psi for regular grips, and 70 for Winns.

#10 elmn8r

elmn8r

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34126
  • Handicap:4.3

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

View PostDavid Hillman, on Aug 15 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

You don't need (or want ) a needle, just the standard $1.99 blow gun that probably came with your compressor will work great.
This  ^^

If you're removing grips that have been on there a while you may need to get the pressure up around 60-70 psi.  40-50 psi for putting them on.  Make sure you use a piece of hose or pipe when you are removing them to keep them from exploding on you.  No need to use the hose or pipe when putting them on...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I couldn't figure how your guys were using the blow gun to remove the grip.  My blow gun looked like this...

Posted Image

No matter how hard I pressed up against the butt end of the grip with the hole, air would ALWAYS escape.  I went to Menards (Large Home Improvement store) and was looking for 3/16" needles.  Same type of needles that you inflate basketballs, volleyballs, etc., but larger (3/16"), which is about the width of a tee.  I couldn't find it, but found a kit, which included a Tapered Inflator Nozzle by Tool Shop at Menards ($18 USD), which looks like this..

Posted Image

It fit perfectly on the blowgun....

Posted Image

I had to force it a little, to get the first notch on there at the butt end of the grip.  After some quick presses of the blow gun, air started going through the grip.  I was afraid at first when a large bubble formed at the middle of the grip, but all I had to do was just grip that area with my hand and gave a few more presses of the blow gun.  Eventually, the air spread throughout the grip and I was able to remove it.  The grip didn't come out as easily as some of those videos I've seen.  It took some effort, but is possible.  And without exploding the grip and having rubber projectiles all over the place.  Inserting the grip also took some effort, but not much.  I was able to align it as well.

I still plan to use grip tape.  I like the extra width the tape adds.  But at least now, I can interchange grips allot easier and faster.  Too bad, I already order the Grip Mate.  I guess that will go immediately to Ebay.

#12 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

I did a search for "Tapered Inflator Nozzle" and got a few results.  It appears you can't buy it individually, but you can buy a small kit, for under $3.00 (USD).  It looks like this...

Posted Image

#13 Shivas22

Shivas22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56893

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

For the added width use masking tape.  It will make it alot easier to remove your grips in the future than if you use traditional two sided grip tape.

#14 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

I like the thickness of the double sided tape, but I'm actually planing not remove the backing.

#15 David Hillman

David Hillman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75809

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

View PostCrazie.eddie, on Aug 15 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

I did a search for "Tapered Inflator Nozzle" and got a few results.  It appears you can't buy it individually, but you can buy a small kit, for under $3.00 (USD).  It looks like this...

Posted Image

Eddie,

The part you found is exactly what you need.  Many ( most? ) blowguns will come with a selection of nozzles like the one you bought, since as you noticed, the gun is almost useless without a nozzle.  Sounds like your gun was a little on the cheap side, if it didn't include those, but it'll work now.

#16 Crazie.eddie

Crazie.eddie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

View PostDavid Hillman, on Aug 16 2009, 09:57 AM, said:

View PostCrazie.eddie, on Aug 15 2009, 11:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Eddie,

The part you found is exactly what you need.  Many ( most? ) blowguns will come with a selection of nozzles like the one you bought, since as you noticed, the gun is almost useless without a nozzle.  Sounds like your gun was a little on the cheap side, if it didn't include those, but it'll work now.

The gun with a needle nozzle and a few couplers came with the air compressor.  I didn't know what to look for in air compressors.  I was a bit hesitant to spend more than $100 on an air compressor mainly used for grip removal.  I chose a small PowerMate 3 gallon compressor at Menards (about $120 USD), which looks like this...

Posted Image

I seems to suit the job well and it's portable enough to carry around.

#17 dinkandrews

dinkandrews

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335107

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I bought the Grip Mate on the internet. Didn't know it was coming from Thailand but when it finally got here (1 month), it wasn't quite like what was in the video. Different, cheaper pieces. Tried to use it like the video and the grips burst. Was very displeased. Contacted the website and asked to return it. Did exactly what they asked. Cost $24 to send it back. Have waited 1 1/2 months with no refund. Contacted them again. They say they never received it. Gave them my customs order number from the post office to use and they say it never left the states and that I was scamming them. It's the worst customer service I have ever seen. The agent, Tiffany, went off like a cannon degrading me for sending it back. I told them to keep the $67 and go have a nice lunch because they wouldn't be in business much longer. DON'T ORDER THIS PRODUCT! IT DOESN'T WORK AND THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THE CRAP THEY ARE SENDING OUT.

#18 AC-Golf

AC-Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136138
  • Ebay ID:333bac2333
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

I bought my tool through golf works, it's a little expensive compared to the options some of the others were smart enough to find but it works well and fits easily into all grips I've worked on.
913 D2 10.5 AD DI 7X
X Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20
J40 DPC 4-PW UST Recoil 800
Miura 54, 57C
Bettinardi SS#6

#19 Ed McNicholas

Ed McNicholas

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172201
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:ed-mcnicholas
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

i use the generic air blower with the christmas tree tip and it works great
D:Titleist 913D2 9.5 Tour Green 75X
FW:Titleist 913FD 15 Tour Green 85 TX
HB:Adams DHY 21 Project X 6.5
Irons:TP MC 4-PW Project X 6.5
Wedges:ATV 51 MD 2 55.14, 60.14
Putter:Odyssey Versa 7 WBW

#20 norcalgolf

norcalgolf

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305535
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Any ideas on removing new grips on pulled shafts?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Leatherneck1

Leatherneck1

red numbers

• 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87801
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

-sch 40 11/4" and never attempt to blow the grip off without it covering the grip
-use the blow gun and get a brake line from local auto store that will screw into your blow gun cut it at about 4"
-use at least 100 psi
-they all dont come off that easily such as iomic
-expect to ruin a few grips
enjoy!!

#22 Leatherneck1

Leatherneck1

red numbers

• 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postnorcalgolf, on 22 August 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

if you want to save them, air isnt the answer.

#23 norcalgolf

norcalgolf

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305535
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostLeatherneck1, on 24 August 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

if you want to save them, air isnt the answer.
thanks for your idea

#24 Leatherneck1

Leatherneck1

red numbers

• 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostShivas22, on 16 August 2009 - 12:15 AM, said:

For the added width use masking tape.  It will make it alot easier to remove your grips in the future than if you use traditional two sided grip tape.
just depends on the grip brand/type itself. you can blow off a tour wrap, velvet, crossline your good. However iomic, lamkin I-line, any full cord. forget it.

#25 Mych

Mych

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I previously used the tapered tip, but I bought this one from ebay and have found it easier to use.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

There are nicer installers available but for the price this one works.

#26 TKing

TKing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47044
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I see I replied to this thread a little over five years ago, and I didn't reread what I said, but I'm still doing it the same way, with the same nozzle.

#27 Kelco

Kelco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105018
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

I'm a little confused. When you press some of these gadgets down into the grip hole, don't you puncture the grip tape, which as been twisted and pushed down into the butt of the grip? I thought that the grip tape was installed this way to create a barrier against dirt and moisture. I once read that if moisture gets down into the shaft, it can cause the shaft to rust and then weaken the shafts, potentially leading to a break. Is that true or is it a myth? (I have the same question for people who don't use grip tape at all.)

Edited by Kelco, 26 August 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#28 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I've never worried about the tape sealing the club, but I live in an arid climate and currently only have a steel shaft in my putter.

#29 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

either use tape over the tip, cork and tape, or tape a head onto the shaft,  doesn't have to be airtight, just tight enought to build pressure.

#30 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostKelco, on 26 August 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

I'm a little confused. When you press some of these gadgets down into the grip hole, don't you puncture the grip tape, which as been twisted and pushed down into the butt of the grip? I thought that the grip tape was installed this way to create a barrier against dirt and moisture. I once read that if moisture gets down into the shaft, it can cause the shaft to rust and then weaken the shafts, potentially leading to a break. Is that true or is it a myth? (I have the same question for people who don't use grip tape at all.)

The rust and weakening myth has been debunked any times. It is a complete non-issue. Honestly I have no idea why people out tape down the butt of the shaft

Titleist 913 D3 (Speeder 757)
Adams Tight Lies (Speeder 7.2 TS)
Callaway XTour 18* (Stock)
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-PW (Aerotech SF)
Mack Daddy 2 - 52* & 60*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors