Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

why do I hit my driver so f*****g low

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 newgolfkid

newgolfkid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58882
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have no clue why my drives go so low.  (10 degree too) I must be delofting the club but I can't see how. I moved the ball just inside my left foot and try to hit it on the upswing and tee it up pretty high but still goes pretty low and fade/ slices most of the time. The ball rolls a lot on the fairway but It's definitely robbing my distance because it's going so low. My friend hits his drives more than double the height of mine and and he has a 9.5 degree and he's very consistent and long. His only rolls about 10 yards and mine rolls 50 + sometimes. I must have more of an iron swing because I find it much easier hitting my irons. My 3 wood doesn't go very high either. My other weakness is not being able to hit fairway woods or hybrids. They also go very low and sometimes I ground ball my 3 wood off the fairway. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. I'm going to put another video of my swing up again.

Edited by newgolfkid, 11 August 2009 - 04:06 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Powerpro

Powerpro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10123
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Check the face of the club to see where exactly you are striking the ball.  It may be that you are making contact below the equator of the curved club face, rather than at the center or slightly above.

#3 newgolfkid

newgolfkid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

I think I sometimes do make contact below the equator but today I was looking at the marks on it and there were two right in the middle and one just above middle and all my drives were still going low.

#4 kylemacca01

kylemacca01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52920
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

What driver/shaft/flex and what is your SS?

#5 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Your angle of attack much be downward at impact and not upward. I know you probably feel like you are swinging "up" at the ball, but with a 10* driver and a low ballflight, you are most likely hitting down on the ball.

1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#6 scotto69

scotto69

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70419
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Video your swing and see if you are swing on a flat plane or laying it off and trapping it through is my suggestion.

#7 EWS

EWS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91427

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

You are probably delofting the club. My guess is your hands are ahead of the clubhead at impact. Take video footage of your swing from the front and then play it frame by frame. Make sure you are hitting UP on the ball. Sometimes you will be surprised that what you see on the video is not what you felt when you swung the club.

#8 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

I bet you are hitting your irons great.   You are coming down on the ball.  I bet you have a small cut to your swing as well.

Let me know if I'm right and I'll fix your driver.

Wow 1000 posts in 7 months, I love golf!

#9 newgolfkid

newgolfkid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

I'll videotape my swing and I must be hitting down on it but it definitely doesn't feel that way.

#10 AcesAZ

AcesAZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17643
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:51 AM

If you dont have some axis/spine tilt away from the target Id try that.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 newgolfkid

newgolfkid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:27 AM

Yes I do tilt my spine away from the target and keep more weight on back foot but I think I may have figured out my problem. My shaft may be too stiff for me. I ordered a new driver last week and got regular flex instead of the firm flex of my callaway big bertha titanium driver. My new driver is the r7 draw. 10.5 degree regular flex.

#12 Shanks For The Memories

Shanks For The Memories

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79041
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

newgolfkid, on Aug 12 2009, 01:47 AM, said:

I'll videotape my swing and I must be hitting down on it but it definitely doesn't feel that way.

What you feel, and what's real, are never the same.  I started taping my swing a few months ago, and I was SHOCKED at how differen't it was from its feel.

I felt like I was taking it back short, and steep, and coming through flat, but it was that I was going 25 past paralell, taking it back 30 flat, and coming down 15 steep.

And when I went to change, the amazing thing was HOW MUCH I had to change to get a result.  I litteraly felt like I was doing a Furyk loop, and the club was FLAT going back!  Never trust what you feel, only what you feel different.

#13 fkim011

fkim011

Official Club Whore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23178
  • Ebay ID:fkim011

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:00 AM

Shanks For The Memories, on Aug 11 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

newgolfkid, on Aug 12 2009, 01:47 AM, said:

What you feel, and what's real, are never the same.  I started taping my swing a few months ago, and I was SHOCKED at how differen't it was from its feel.

I felt like I was taking it back short, and steep, and coming through flat, but it was that I was going 25 past paralell, taking it back 30 flat, and coming down 15 steep.

And when I went to change, the amazing thing was HOW MUCH I had to change to get a result.  I litteraly felt like I was doing a Furyk loop, and the club was FLAT going back!  Never trust what you feel, only what you feel different.

This man speaks the truth. I've had the same epiphany as well.

#14 ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Staying away from thrift stores....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61226
GolfWRX Likes : 471

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Just a thought too - you could be starting to pick up out of your swing.  I find when I'm not hitting a particular club well, I get antsy, and tend to jerk up to see how crappy I hit it this time EVEN BEFORE I HIT IT.  Maybe its something this simple, or even try teeing it a touch higher?

I'm pretty sure it's not the club, as my SS is 96 with a driver, and I had no problems hitting my buddy's TM R7 10* superquad with a stiff shaft.  Although a softer flex may have a better "upkick" when the club hits the ball, the shaft alone shouldn't be enough to cause a super severe issue, especially with a 10* loft.  If you said 8.5* with stiff shaft, that's another thing.

My guess is it is something in the swing somewhere.  As stated by others, videotaping works wonders.  I now have a 3/4 backswing (and much better control) because of it.
TaylorMade r7 460
Maxfli Carbon Graphite 3 + 5W
Maxfli TM-92 Aussie Blades, 3-W
Wilson Sandy Andy - Alum shaft
Wilson RPMax LW
Maxfli Tad Moore TM-8
WITB Link

#15 newgolfkid

newgolfkid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

ok thanks for all that advice Ill get a video on here tonight probably. and I don'tknow if anyone really does this but would it be weird if I opened the club face of the driver at address or is that crazy talk,

#16 dowgold

dowgold

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48515
  • Ebay ID:dowgold
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Your swing may not be the main problem. In my case, I am a lefty and I know for a fact that my right leg is shorter by about 1 inch then my left leg. Not a lot you would say right! Well, it does affect my hips angle and shoulder as well.

Granted, everyone's legs are not totally equal in length, but it is good to know so you can adapt.

And to further make a point about a previous above post, I do hit my irons very well and used to have a lower ball flight in my woods just as you do.

I am now aware of it, have changed my loft and shaft and address position. I am hitting my driver with a good trajectory on average to 265 (280 on a good day) with an average 100 SS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors