Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2 man Scramble rules ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7732
  • Ebay ID:madhousemum (UK)
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Ive been put in charge with running a 2 man Scramble at our club this coming Saturday.

Ive played in (and run) plenty of Scrambles before,but have never so much as played in a two man version. They seem alot more popular in the US than the UK so i thought id ask you guys opinion.

We've got a wide variety of handicaps to cater for,and my two questions are:

1./ What percentage of handicap allowance should i be giving each pair ? (I also need to allow for a 3 man team incase an odd number of members turn up - what should they get ? )

2./ How many drives minimum should each player be required to take ? (Is 7 about right ?)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Taylormade-Nike guy

Taylormade-Nike guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16116
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

I have never seen any handicap being given in a scramble.  The only time I have ever heard a handicap coming into play is when they set a team minimum for the handicap.  We play in an event every year that the team has to have a minimum of a combined 40 Handicap.

I have seen any ware from 6 each to 8 each minimum drives per player.

Good luck!

#3 jjbubba72

jjbubba72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5415

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

We do a 2 man scramble in my golf league for the season ending outing. I want to say it was 4-6 drives minimum per player and for the handicaps we divide each players index by 2 and add them together.  It isn't a perfect system, but it has served us pretty well.

#4 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

This is at a member club,is a members Saturday comp and has to cover a wide variety of ages and abilities though and hopefully give everyone a chance to compete. Its not like its a scratch open or anything........

Im now thinking 7 drives each,which leaves 4 shots open to either player.

Regarding handicaps:

50% of the total of their exact handicaps for a two-ball (So for example: 2 X 8.0 h/caps = 16 total. Divide by two = 8.0 shots)

And for 3 man teams 25% of the combined. So three 8.0 handicappers = 24 total,which divide by four = 6.0 shots.

If the 3 man team was then 3 X 24.0 handicappers their total = 72.0,which divide by four = 18.0 shots.

Or should it be more like 30% of combined for the 3 man team?

So for 3 X 8.0 handicappers = 24 shots total,which 30% of = 7.2 shots.

And for 3 X 24.0 handicappers = 72 shots total,which 30% of = 21.6 shots

The latter sounds a bit fairer to all doesnt it ..........

******So 50% of exact combined for a two-ball,and 30% of exact combined for a 3 ball ??????

#5 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Scramble? Rules?

#6 crtssxc

crtssxc

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88078
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

I think the 25% is more fair, personally because they have 3 attempts are each shot whereas every other team has 2.  So that alone should save them 3-4 strokes on 18 holes.  

In a 2 man scramble with my one friend, we would pretty much shoot 68-70 (both about 10 handicaps at the time).  When we played with a 3rd person (who is a 30+) a few times we scored more in the mid 60's even though we didnt use many of his shots, whenever he hit a good one it benefited the team.  That is just my experience but I think 25% is more then fair for a 3 person team.

And I would go with 6 tee shots for each of the partners (so 6 open) and 4 each for the team of 3 (so they still have 6 open to everyone)

Edited by crtssxc, 03 August 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#7 Jayhawk

Jayhawk

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10738

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

is there only one flight in this scramble? :scratching head:

#8 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

View Postcrtssxc, on Aug 3 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

I think the 25% is more fair, personally because they have 3 attempts are each shot whereas every other team has 2.  So that alone should save them 3-4 strokes on 18 holes.  

In a 2 man scramble with my one friend, we would pretty much shoot 68-70 (both about 10 handicaps at the time).  When we played with a 3rd person (who is a 30+) a few times we scored more in the mid 60's even though we didnt use many of his shots, whenever he hit a good one it benefited the team.  That is just my experience but I think 25% is more then fair for a 3 person team.

And I would go with 6 tee shots for each of the partners (so 6 open) and 4 each for the team of 3 (so they still have 6 open to everyone)

All sounds good - and logical ! Thanks for your help.

View PostJayhawk, on Aug 3 2009, 07:17 PM, said:

is there only one flight in this scramble? :scratching head:

Yup,not a big enough club and not a big enough field to have seperate divisions.

#9 heybrady

heybrady

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32603
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

Instead of using a handicap average, why not take 80% of the average?  Two 8.0 cappers playing a scramble should shoot under par without any problems.  Take 80% of that so they get 6 strokes instead.  Apply the same to everyone else.  Yes, it really doesnt matter as everyone getting 80% equals out, but it keeps the net scores reasonable.

Two 18 cappers would get 14.4 strokes, while 3 18 cappers get 10.8 strokes.

Edited by heybrady, 03 August 2009 - 03:03 PM.

#10 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

View Postsevenfourate, on Aug 3 2009, 12:10 PM, said:

Ive been put in charge with running a 2 man Scramble at our club this coming Saturday.

Ive played in (and run) plenty of Scrambles before,but have never so much as played in a two man version. They seem alot more popular in the US than the UK so i thought id ask you guys opinion.

1./ What percentage of handicap allowance should i be giving each pair ? (I also need to allow for a 3 man team incase an odd number of members turn up - what should they get ? )

2./ How many drives minimum should each player be required to take ? (Is 7 about right ?)
Are you setting the teams?  If so, I'd say no handicap.  Match the best player with the worst player, 2nd best with 2nd worst, etc.

If you have an odd number of players, match the 3 worst players together.  

I do this in my year end golf league outing and it works great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

View Postlarrybud, on Aug 4 2009, 01:13 PM, said:

View Postsevenfourate, on Aug 3 2009, 12:10 PM, said:

Are you setting the teams?  If so, I'd say no handicap.  Match the best player with the worst player, 2nd best with 2nd worst, etc.

If you have an odd number of players, match the 3 worst players together.  

I do this in my year end golf league outing and it works great.

Thats a really,really nice idea too - i like that alot.Gets everyone playing with someoe new,stops the 'cliques' of low handicappers going together,and best of all means no maths !  (cool)

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors