Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

WITB Phil Mickelson

393 replies to this topic

#31 elrey23

elrey23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64294
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

View Postmstrong, on Dec 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

His wedge options seem strange to me, because I thought I remember him having strong lofts (eg. a PW of 45 degrees) on all his irons, which would explain the potential non-gap between his 5 iron and 22 degree hybrid.  Unless he's reverted to different, more staggered lofts, there would be a large gap between 45 and 56 degrees...  

Even a gap between 48 and 56 would seem like a big yardage gap.  Dave Pelz must have scientific data that shows Phil hardly ever ends up with a particiular yardage...

You're assuming that these guys are anything like us. Firstly, he plots his way around so that he probably never has a shot that requires yardage that is within the gap. If he winds up in a spot, as he is prone to do, the guy has tremendous feel, he can manufacture a shot by really stepping on one or laying off another. People always obsess over yardage gaps but these guys are good enough to play to a certain yardage and he obviously knows what his are. You'll find more pros than not who employ this setup. Tiger has a PW and then goes straight to 56 degree. Even if the PW is 50 degrees that's still a 6 degree gap but the PW is probably more like 48 which makes it an even bigger gap. He plays to those yardages.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 neilc

neilc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:23 AM

View Postsevenfourate, on Dec 14 2009, 12:11 PM, said:

Thanks for another update  (Keep them coming), appreciated  :wave:

The trend for drivers in the last few years seems to revolve around 'more loft',but if you look at some of the numbers from these guys,even then some have very low launch angles.

Anyway - very unusual to see someone with a 7.5 degree driver.He must be 'out there on his own' with that loft.Hell,ive hardly seen anyone with 8.5 let alone 7.5 on Tour.He's certainly a pioneer not a sheep with his equipment choices......

I watched him play in Singapore and he hits it sky high with all clubs.

px 7.0 s are extremely stiff too,but he hits it miles in the air

#33 mstrong

mstrong

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19768
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

View Postelrey23, on Dec 14 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

View Postmstrong, on Dec 14 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

His wedge options seem strange to me, because I thought I remember him having strong lofts (eg. a PW of 45 degrees) on all his irons, which would explain the potential non-gap between his 5 iron and 22 degree hybrid.  Unless he's reverted to different, more staggered lofts, there would be a large gap between 45 and 56 degrees...  

Even a gap between 48 and 56 would seem like a big yardage gap.  Dave Pelz must have scientific data that shows Phil hardly ever ends up with a particiular yardage...

You're assuming that these guys are anything like us. Firstly, he plots his way around so that he probably never has a shot that requires yardage that is within the gap. If he winds up in a spot, as he is prone to do, the guy has tremendous feel, he can manufacture a shot by really stepping on one or laying off another. People always obsess over yardage gaps but these guys are good enough to play to a certain yardage and he obviously knows what his are. You'll find more pros than not who employ this setup. Tiger has a PW and then goes straight to 56 degree. Even if the PW is 50 degrees that's still a 6 degree gap but the PW is probably more like 48 which makes it an even bigger gap. He plays to those yardages.

I'll grant you some of that, but a 6 degree gap and an 11 degree gap is a huge difference.  First off, I think Phil changes his bag setup from course to course, so there are probably a few different wedge combinations that he'd go with.  Second, his wedges could be bent a degree or two in order to close that gap; I just find it difficult to believe that he would play with an 11 degree gap.  That is the equivalent of going from a standard 3 iron (21 degrees) to a standard 6 iron (31 degrees).  

When you say "more pros than not," are you referring to PGA Tour pros?  I don't think there's a single pro on my tour who plays with an 11 degree gap in their wedges.  Just my humble opinion.

#34 PGA_AllTheWay

PGA_AllTheWay

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69043
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

mickelson hits up on the ball at roughly 3-4 degrees which is why he plays a 7.5
Ping Anser Driver Stock x-flex
x2 hot Fairway woods Aldila Rogue x-flex
Apex Irons 3-PW Project x 6.5
Vokey 50* + Mack Daddy 56*
Tank #1
Pro V1x or SR3

#35 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50068
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 dominic713

dominic713

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71989
  • Ebay ID:dt_steinke
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Great stuff. How in the world do you get all of these pictures?

#37 frozenfox

frozenfox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100907
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

View PostPGA_AllTheWay, on Dec 17 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

mickelson hits up on the ball at roughly 3-4 degrees which is why he plays a 7.5

Good point.....the only Degree that matters is at impact :clapping: .   (this guy I'm sure is always aware of that)

#38 gugamania

gugamania

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9884

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Seems like one of his wedges is of P grind?!

#39 rxrdrummer

rxrdrummer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68276
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

In his book he talks about his sand wedge and says it's 55 degrees. he doesn't play the stock PW, but instead he bends his 52 to 50 degrees and plays that as his PW. I remember in an interview he said he has bent his iron lofts weaker to the classic lofts and he has still picked up more distance. he was talking about working with Butch and gaining distance. he might have the lofts on his hybrids bent if they can bend at all, you never know. loft isn't important, except for your wedges, it's distance gaps that are.

#40 WesleyD

WesleyD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122476
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

They just said on golf channel that he's playing a 6 degree driver...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:16 AM

Phil Mickelson decided not to go with the Ping Eye2 wedge at Riveria, but he did carry a Callaway Tour Authentic X Forged 4-iron instead of one of his prototype hybrid clubs.  Mickelson uses Callaway's X-Prototype irons with Project X shafts.  

The main difference between the two irons is the X Forged has perimeter weighting that helps get the ball airborne more easily while the X-Prototype is a muscleback blade that allows players to shape shots more easily.

Posted Image

Edited by The Gachet, 09 February 2010 - 06:16 AM.

#42 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

#43 tdk8180

tdk8180

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Those look like Satin Project X, I thought Phil said he didn't care about the finish of the shaft, I guess he does care....because.....they're different, yes, that's it.

#44 bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14841
  • Ebay ID:kjam100100
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

I thought he was taking the ping eye 2 out of the bag, noticed the pic posted today, did he put it back in?
KH

#45 j-daniel

j-daniel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44983
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

i cannot find anywhere, but does anyone know what phils swing weights are woods irons wedges? nd the progressions difference or what ever im very interested.

also does anyone hve good cer pitures of the grind on phils eye 2 LW as what ever he had done is very similr to what im trying to achive with my eye 2 wedges.

thanks

Edited by j-daniel, 07 March 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#46 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

With the wind gusting well over 30 miles per hour, defending WGC-CA champion Phil Mickelson has decided to add a second driver to his bag.

Butch Harmon, Mickelson's swing coach, told me on the driving range, "One hits it higher and the other hits it lower; that's really the only difference." However, he added that the lower-hitting driver is also slightly shorter.

Mickelson has been playing a Callaway FT-9 Tour Authentic driver with a Mitsubishi Fubuki shaft for more than a year. The driver he added today is a Callaway FT-5 Draw with a Mitsubishi Diamana White Board shaft (below).

According to Harmon, the two-driver strategy is being employed because of the windy conditions. "The lower-hitting one is more for crosswinds and into the wind. The high-hitting driver he probably won't hit as much. Maybe on 1, 2 and 5 because he can carry the bunkers with it."

Harmon said that the lower-hitting driver doesn't go as far, but Mickelson controls the ball very well with it.

"He was asking me about it when we got started," continued Harmon, "and I said, 'Hey, you won the Masters using two, so that's fine with me.' Then I told him that its a lot better than using any!"

Chuckling at his reference to Mickelson's decision not to play a driver in the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, he said, "I won't tell you what he said to me after I said that, but it started with an F."

Posted Image

#47 oldironman

oldironman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67778
  • Ebay ID:bechtel1953
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Started with F, that's hilarious. I remember seeing a Phil's WITB a few years ago that had his iron lofts included. Talk about all over the place 3* difference on some 6* on others. I'm trying to find it to repost here.

#48 mstrong

mstrong

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19768

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

View Postrxrdrummer, on 08 January 2010 - 04:36 PM, said:

In his book he talks about his sand wedge and says it's 55 degrees. he doesn't play the stock PW, but instead he bends his 52 to 50 degrees and plays that as his PW. I remember in an interview he said he has bent his iron lofts weaker to the classic lofts and he has still picked up more distance. he was talking about working with Butch and gaining distance. he might have the lofts on his hybrids bent if they can bend at all, you never know. loft isn't important, except for your wedges, it's distance gaps that are.

That setup would make a lot more sense from the gapping perspective.  At one point, he played lofts stronger than the average set, but he may now be on the other side of the fence...

#49 OnFire

OnFire

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25492
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

The new putter in the bag is sick.

#50 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:30 AM

DRIVER: Callaway FT-9 Tour Authentic Draw (7.5°) with a Mitsubishi Fubuki 73x shaft
FAIRWAY WOOD: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo (15°) with a Mitsubishi Fubuki 73x shaft
HYBRID: Callaway Prototype (22°) with a Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X shaft
IRONS: Callaway X-Forged (4), Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype (5-PW) with Project X Rifle 7.0 Satin shafts
WEDGES: Callaway JAWS X-Series (53°, 60°, 64°) with Project X Rifle 7.0 Satin shafts
PUTTER: Odyssey White Hot XG PM Blade with a Black Odyssey Paddle Putter Grip (five layers of tape) 5° Loft
BALL: Callaway Tour ix
GLOVE: Callaway Pro Series (XL)
GRIPS: Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound Cord Black/White
BAG: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Tour
APPAREL: Callaway (Barclays on chest, Callaway on sleeve)
FOOTWEAR: Callaway HX Tour with Champ Scorpion Stinger Spikes
HEADWEAR: Callaway Cap (KPMG on front, Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon on temple, Callaway on back)
WRISTWEAR: Rolex Day Date II Platinum

Posted Image

Edited by The Gachet, 13 April 2010 - 04:11 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 TourBound3617

TourBound3617

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97975
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Seems to be working at augusta

#52 The Gachet

The Gachet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

More than almost any golfer on tour, Phil Mickelson is willing to experiment and tinker with his golf equipment. He won the 2006 Masters using two drivers and the 2008 Colonial carrying five wedges. He broke out a 64 wedge at Winged Foot for the U.S. Open in 2006, inspiring other players to carry super-high-lofted wedges.

He's also used a wide variety of putters over the years. Notably, Mickelson was the first player to use a Scotty Cameron Futura in a PGA Tour event. It wasn't pretty, but Mickelson made it work.

While he's also used a variety of mid-size mallets and heel-toe weighted Anser-style putters, these days Mickelson is using a classic blade putter, a White Hot XG Blade, made by Odyssey, the putter-arm of Callaway Golf. Unfortunately for Mickelson fans, his blade is not a part of Odyssey's current line, so it's not available to the public.

There are a few things that make Phil's old-school putter unique.

"[Manufacturers] have never been able to put a line on a blade putter," he said at Colonial in 2008, a week after spending some time at Callaway's testing facility in Carlsbad, Calif. "But with the way they can grind it now, they were able to put a line in it. I can align it so much better."

While his current blade has a darker finish than the one he used that week, Mickelson still has Odyssey grind a line into his putter to assist him with alignment.

There is an insert in the face of the putter, but that's a variable he can change. An Odyseey rep told me that the company has supplied Phil with several identical putters that feature different inserts, some being firmer while others are softer. Based on the ball he's playing and the speed of the greens, Phil changes putters accordingly.

The same thing goes for the lead tape you see in these photos. On slower greens, like those found on the West Coast Swing or in Europe, he often adds weight. On faster greens he uses less or removes the weight entirely. There was no lead tape on Phil's putter at Augusta National.

Another unique thing about Mickelson's blade is the amount of loft he uses. The standard loft on most putters is between 3-4. But Mickelson's putter has slightly more because of his stroke. He recently told Golf Digest, "The amount of loft you have on your putter is going to be dependent on your hand position and ball position. My hand position is ahead, so I need more loft. Sometimes I have 5 or 6 on my putters."

So will a blade putter like Mickelson's help you drain more putts like his 20-footer for birdie on the 12th hole Sunday? That all depends on your stroke and how consistently you can hit a solid putt.

A blade putter is ideal for golfers who swing the club on an arc, taking it inside the target line on the backswing and follow-though. If your putting stroke goes straight back and then straight through the ball, a blade-style putter is probably a poor fit.

When you strike the ball in the sweetspot of a blade, it will perform wonderfully. But with almost no perimeter weighting, putts hit near the toe or on the heel will be short and offline. Forgiveness is not a blade putter's strong suit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 ASH

ASH

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45775

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

does anyone know how long phils putter is and iron specs (lie and length etc)

#54 walterjay25

walterjay25

Winter is Coming

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69099
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

Sports Illustrated published a slightly different setup today for Phil's Masters WITB:

http://blogs.golf.co...-equipment.html

April 10, 2010
Masters Bag: Phil Mickelson
Below is a complete list of Phil Mickelson's Masters clubs.

DRIVER: Callaway FT-9 Tour Authentic (7.5) with a Mitsubishi Fubuki 73 X shaft
FAIRWAY WOOD: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo (15) with a Mitsubishi Fubuki 73 X shaft
HYBRID: Callaway Prototype (22) with a Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X shaft
IRONS: Callaway X-Forged (4), X Proto (5-PW) with Rifle Project X 7.0 shafts
WEDGES: Callaway JAWS (53, 60, 62) with Rifle Project X 7.0 shafts
PUTTER: Odyssey White Hot XG Blade (Learn More)
BALL: Callaway Tour ix

#55 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

anyone have closeups of the hybrid?  that thing looks awesome!

#56 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

Pretty unique setup.

#57 walterjay25

walterjay25

Winter is Coming

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69099
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

This is the story on Phil's prototype hybrid. As many of you probably know, he actually put this in play last year at Bethpage Black.
Story and link below:

http://blogs.golf.co...09-us-open.html

Phil Mickelson's clubs for 2009 U.S. Open
I had a chance to speak with Callaway Golf club designer Roger Cleveland in the company's massive tour truck this week. Cleveland mentioned that Phil Mickelson is using a new hybrid this week. Still in the prototype phase, the club was designed and conceived with significant input from Mickelson himself. Mickelson has previously used a Callaway FT hybrid in some tournaments.

Cleveland would not go into detail about the club or specific technologies used in its creation, but Mickelson himself told reporters, "This is a special club I actually made, taking the back part of the hybrid out so that I can open it way up and get through that thick rough." (Click on the image for a better look at the club.)

Like all prototype clubs, there is no guarantee Phil's new hybrid will ever make it to the pro shop.

Posted Image

Reason for edit: To The Gachet: I'm am extremely impressed by your knowledge of the pro-players WITB and enjoy reading your posts very much. I didn't want you to think I was stepping on your toes here. I'm just a big Phil fan who is still basking in his victory and interested in what clubs he used :drinks:

Edited by walterjay25, 13 April 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#58 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80933
  • Ebay ID:gsi08284
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Anyone know why Phil is using the tour ix and not one of their newer balls?

#59 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1581

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

View Postgrochol17, on 13 April 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

Anyone know why Phil is using the tour ix and not one of their newer balls?

I would imagine Phil is used to the spin of that golf ball.  The new Callaway balls aren't an improvement over the previous IMO.
i25 8.5- BB-6
913Fd 18- Rombax P95
S55's (4-W)- S400 TI
Vokey 50, 55, 60- S400 TI
GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#60 AWE46M3

AWE46M3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99680
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Kind of interesting he is using the same shaft in both his driver and 3 wood instead of going heavier in the FW.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors