Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is your cigar of choice?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 EMKelly

EMKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68838
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

I know a lot of men at my club smoke cigars during or after their rounds.  Made me wonder what everyone who does this is smoking.  Ususally if I am with clients or friends who I know enjoy a nice cigar, I will partake but otherwise I am not much of a smoker.  

Recommendations on any cigars?  I see a lot of Ashton, Gurkha and Montecristo's but I am not well aware of the finer brands or what would be a nice smoke.  :beruo:

Regards,
Eric

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PSUH

PSUH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88754
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

Rocky Patel, Romeo y Julieta, and Punch. I don't smoke cigars as often anymore, but there is nothing greater then to have a nice cigar once in awhile.

#3 Geo

Geo

Happy Geo's Day

• Marshals
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1027

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

No question: jcigars by a landslide.  He's awesome. :good:
:hi:

#4 Masse1369

Masse1369

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54564
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image
***Authorized Dealer for Evnroll, Bettinardi, SeeMore and Directed Force***

TM M3 8.5° VA Composites Reijin 64S
TM M4 16.5° VA Composites Reijin 74S
Titleist 816 H1 19° VA Composites Reijin 84S
Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 52°, 56° & 60° TTDG Wedge
Bettinardi BB39
http://www.golfwrx.c...8#entry11870918

#5 OpusX20

OpusX20

The balance. The poise. The finish. It's like a dance.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84036
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

I could go on forever about this topic, but I will try to keep it brief.  Currently, my favorite on course smoke is a Fuente Anejo.  Medium body and always fantastic.  My favorite after golf/dinner cigar is the Fuente Opus X.  

Ashtons Classics are great on course cigars.  They are fairly mild (which I prefer when on the course), very consistent and reasonably priced.  I'm not a Ghurka fan at all.  (Good product, just doesn't fit my taste.)  In the Montecristo line, I like the Platinum series which I really like as a late Fall on-course cigar.  

If you don't smoke a lot, but still would like a top-notch smoke, I would recommend the Davidoff Aniversario #3 and the Diamond Crown Figurado #6.  These smokes are on the mild side and very smooth.  They're not cheap though.  For a more reasonably priced smoke, check out the CAO line (see picture of previous poster).  Lots of good stuff there.

To me one of the most important thing is making sure the cigars are well taken care of.  Even a cheap humidor can help keep cigars in good shape until you are ready to smoke them.  Or stop by your local cigar retailer on the way to the course or whenever you are ready to smoke.  Ultimately, cigars are pretty user specific.  Start with some recommendations, ask you local retailer what they like and try a bunch of different stuff.  Ratings from magazines are ok, but you will probably find your own tastes differ pretty substantially.

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
3 Wood: Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
Wedges: Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

#6 mullie29

mullie29

Mullie29

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2478
  • Ebay ID:mullie66
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

I'm kinda fond of the Acid brand. 1400's, wafs,a ll very flavorable cigars. M29

#7 alanman

alanman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85220
  • Ebay ID:osubobber
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

montecristo whites are great if you dont smoke alot. kind of expensive though.
the montecristo media noche is one of my faves, but not on the course.
i prefer a more mild cigar on the course.
acid blues are great, as well as vegas 5's (good price) for golfing.

#8 Stig53KR

Stig53KR

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80006

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

Romeo & Juliet, Punch are some of my personal favorites.  However, I always love to kick back with a nice Cohiba and a bottle of Newcastle.

#9 csaltz22

csaltz22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84129

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

I just had a Oliva Series G Cameroon.  Loved it, so smooth.  I am loking to try a Drew Estates JAVA but can't find one in town so far, anyone ever had a JAVA before?

#10 OpusX20

OpusX20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

View Postcsaltz22, on Aug 7 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

I just had a Oliva Series G Cameroon. Loved it, so smooth. I am loking to try a Drew Estates JAVA but can't find one in town so far, anyone ever had a JAVA before?

I had an Oliva Sirie V the other day.  It was fantastic.  I have had the JAVA.  I thought it was terrible.  Very inconsistent and one dimensional.  But, of course it is not uncommon for cigar smokers to disagree on what's good and what's not.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 mjc694

mjc694

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31139
  • Ebay ID:mjc6942003

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have tried the acid cigars recently and that taste is still with me.  Not my style, but I can see why people who like it.  Very very distinctive.  

Count me in the Romeo y Julietta crowd.  I love them.  I have a mixture of Primo's Maduro wrappers, mild cohibas, and some seriousl RyJs in my humidor at home right now,a dn I love them all for different reasons.  

The cohibas are a great any time smoke.  Mild, but tasty, and these are midsized smokes, and as such I can smoke them just about anywhere.  The primos while a lesser cigar overall are a fine smoke for me for the money, and I dont fell like i have to be in a "cigar frame of mind" to smoke them.  

The romeos are magnificent.  A cigar to savor.  A cigar to smell, and touch, and to engage deeply in the whole experience.  I never take one of these smokes lightly!!  

Go, smoke a few, and find your own favorites.

#12 ejones1961

ejones1961

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71662
  • Ebay ID:ejones1961
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Makers Mark

#13 FalconBaller23

FalconBaller23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42250

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

Davidoff Double R

#14 OpusX20

OpusX20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostFalconBaller23, on Aug 23 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

Davidoff Double R

+1

I love that cigar and have one in my humidor.

//walking out to the patio...

#15 BKates

BKates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92958

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Im a ACID smoker.  Favorite out of the whole line is the 1400, the KUBA KUBA isnt a bad cigar either.

#16 bbtt123

bbtt123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81564

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

I currently maintain over 500 cigars right now between my 4 humidors at home and the experimental cigars I have aging at my local cigar lounge. Personally I have my favs. narrowed down to a select few which make my every day smoke, I then age all my cigars between 6-9 months before I even think about smoking them unless the cigars get put into the right away bunch. For the course I have a few favorites based on size.

Personally I love big robusto's 54+ ring for the course or a nice pyramid or good perfecto, all of them stay lit very well and I find them to stay more consistant while driving the cart around the course (only smoke while carting) and they stay lit very nicely while your at your ball for your next shot. Of my fav's:

Montecristo #2 pyramid - I have been splitting boxes of these between smoke now and age so I have 20 ready to smoke and 60 or so aging anywhere from 9 months to 3 years right now.

Perdomo ESV 91' Super good cigar, wrapper is velvet and the smoke is just pure. Its not like puffing air, but not a "big boy" cigar feel while your smoking it. It is by far my favorite cigar which is made from filler and wrappers from the 1991 perdomo estate crop..they are then aged from the company and then sold to the public....pure bliss smoking this one in a robusto size.

These two are my normal course smokes, I do also put in a sleeper cigar every once in a while, I actually use my golf round as a judge weather to purchase a box of a type of cigar, if it was a pleasurable experience then it makes my list, but the above two are just the winners.

After the round I stay pretty close to my course sticks by smoking either:

Montecristo Media noche #2 or robusto- I have these both in state side smoke and cuban orgin and they are both unbelieveable, with age these get better and better as well. Not a beginner cigar but not a harsh mindblower...just a good experience.

Graycliff double espresso- Enough said, I had the chance to visit the original factory site for graycliff and that is where I was sold on this cigar...wow

Cohiba espicial 2001 ltd- yes its cuban and yes it blows your lid off, the single most powerful cigar I have smoked, and well worth the price I paid for them, I smoked one on my wedding night last year after it sat in the humidor for 6 years...best night of my life was capped off by that cigar, truely a masterpiece that makes me want to move out of the US so I can enjoy them every day without the hassle.

Finding your cigar choice is tough...especially if your new to it all, the biggest problem most newer smokers have is they try something too crazy the first time and they think its good so they stay there. If you start slowly as far as intensity you can pick up on flavors quicker and when you do get a special cigar in your hands you can appreciate it that much more, too many times I see people who smoke a cigar once a month or less go into the humidor and pick up a $20+ cigar and I just shake my head, sure they will enjoy that cigar, but its the little things that I enjoy more while smoking a cigar. You see alot of that in Vegas with people who just want to be status quo so they buy into the $50 davidoffs (personally davidoff is just a high priced macanudo...price is high due to vegas but the smoke is lackluster) .

Smoking on the course is just way too relaxing...hell I sometimes make a tee time to go smoke a cigar first and play golf second.

#17 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

I'm not a cigar smoker currently. But I occasionally play golf with a guy who smokes those little "cigarillo" cigars. Not the cheapo ones with the plastic tips or something like that, but some kind of fancy ones that come in an ornately decorated tin. This guy isn't the type of guy to be smoking cheap crap so they must be decent. They smell really good but they could taste like crap for all I know. I'll have to bum one off of him next time and see how I like it.

If anything, they might be good for keeping bugs away in the summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors