Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Aldila Serrano: any info?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lotbean21

lotbean21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39374
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

The Aldila Serrano shaft is a stock option in the new Ping G15 wood line.

Anybody have any info on the shaft?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tyler621

tyler621

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7132
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

From PING's website:

G15 Shaft Specifications
Aldila Serrano 60

Material         Flex           Torque        Weight                                                        
Graphite        Regular        4.0          57g
Graphite        Stiff             4.0          60g
Graphite        X-Stiff          4.0          60g

I couldn't find anything on Aldila's website. It looks like a lower launching option compared to PING's TFC shaft. I would venture to say similar performance to the Pro Launch Red. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#3 Bayou Kato

Bayou Kato

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60306
  • Ebay ID:acornus_max

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Yes, they say lower launching.  But i'd be cautious to compare it with the PL-Red.  

I went to the GolfSmith website and used their fitting program.  Pretty cool ... but the interesting part was in the shaft selection area.  For those of you who haven't used it ... at one point you're inputing your swing speed or driver distance, and your swing tempo; from that, they've got something that must calculate your SS and the way you load (?).  Anyway, then when you pick different shafts, the recommendation of flex -- well, flexes!

i'm a Regular flex guy (SS is mid-90s) for the most part, and especially in the shafts I like (Blueboard).  When I selected the Serrano, it told me 'Stiff Recommended.'  I clicked several shafts and it varied; not able to fully tell what the key thing was (though it might have to do with torque).  Whatever ... point is ...

That Serrano may be lower launch, but she may be a bit whippy and you may have to up a flex.  As much as I want a G15, I think I'm goint to wait until I can get fit and do some hitting.  I'm tempted to just order the beast with the Blueboard in it (because I love that shaft in my V2 and am learning to love it in a G10 I just got); but I think I'll wait.

#4 mco

mco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38439

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

Aldila has released their new line of high balance point shafts called En Fuego (due out in Oct).  The Serrano is listed as the low to mid launch option, the Wasabi for mid launch and the Habanero as mid to high launch.  Ping customer service states the Serrano is more of a high flex, firm tip design and should feel similar to the NV.

Edited by mco, 18 September 2009 - 06:57 AM.

#5 electroleum

electroleum

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22105
  • Ebay ID:electroleum
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

hahaha, when I saw the name of this shaft I was hoping it was an extension of the Voodoo line (for obvious reasons).

Hint: Major League ;)

#6 dannybsj

dannybsj

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9211
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

haha f*** you jobu i do it myself

#7 clubbreaker

clubbreaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57515

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:28 AM

tried going to golfsmith's website.....could not find the link for the shaft recommendations

View PostBayou Kato, on Jul 30 2009, 12:36 PM, said:

Yes, they say lower launching.  But i'd be cautious to compare it with the PL-Red.  

I went to the GolfSmith website and used their fitting program.  Pretty cool ... but the interesting part was in the shaft selection area.  For those of you who haven't used it ... at one point you're inputing your swing speed or driver distance, and your swing tempo; from that, they've got something that must calculate your SS and the way you load (?).  Anyway, then when you pick different shafts, the recommendation of flex -- well, flexes!

i'm a Regular flex guy (SS is mid-90s) for the most part, and especially in the shafts I like (Blueboard).  When I selected the Serrano, it told me 'Stiff Recommended.'  I clicked several shafts and it varied; not able to fully tell what the key thing was (though it might have to do with torque).  Whatever ... point is ...

That Serrano may be lower launch, but she may be a bit whippy and you may have to up a flex.  As much as I want a G15, I think I'm goint to wait until I can get fit and do some hitting.  I'm tempted to just order the beast with the Blueboard in it (because I love that shaft in my V2 and am learning to love it in a G10 I just got); but I think I'll wait.

#8 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3658
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

The Serrano does not play that much like  a NV. It has far better feel, more like a VS Proto but better. The drvier shaft , to me, had more control than a NV and It kicked the ball higher. This shaft has serious kick. The fairway wood shaft played a little stouter with the same feel. Major kick also. Great driver shaft, I like it better than the Fubuki. Awesome fairway wood shaft, maybe the best that I have hit. The hybrid shaft, I like less.

Edited by mbradley, 14 October 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#9 EarthDigger

EarthDigger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52119

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

View Postmbradley, on Oct 13 2009, 11:27 AM, said:

<br />The Serrano does not play that much like  a NV. It has far better feel, more like a VS Proto but better. The drvier shaft , to me, had more control than a NV and It kicked the ball higher. This shaft has serious kick. The fairway wood shaft played a little stouter with the same feel. Major kick also. Great driver shaft, I like it better than the Fubuki. Awesome fairway wood shaft, maybe the best that I have hit. The hyrid shaft, I like less.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Don't mean to threadjack but I just purchased a G15 with Serrano Stiff.  Although I like the club, I just can't get use to the length of the shaft at 45.75 inches.  If I was to cut the shaft, say an inch or so, how would that affect the ballflight, kickpoint, etc.  Please give me some advice before I decide to cut the shaft.  Thanks in advance!

#10 EarthDigger

EarthDigger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52119

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

No One?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 caanders

caanders

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72620

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

I just got fitted for a G15 with the Serrano and I was really hitting it sweet.  The fitter recommended cutting it down a 1/2 inch for me and said that I would not notice much change in the feel, just in the amount of control I would have with the club.  I am 5'10.

On another note, the shaft felt awesome and way better than the VS Proto which I thought felt really sweet.  Try choking up a bit for a bucket at the range or for a round or two until you feel comfortable or give PING a call directly at 1800-474-6434 and see what they recommend.

#12 mikec222

mikec222

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64084

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

View PostEarthDigger, on Oct 13 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

View Postmbradley, on Oct 13 2009, 11:27 AM, said:

<br />The Serrano does not play that much like  a NV. It has far better feel, more like a VS Proto but better. The drvier shaft , to me, had more control than a NV and It kicked the ball higher. This shaft has serious kick. The fairway wood shaft played a little stouter with the same feel. Major kick also. Great driver shaft, I like it better than the Fubuki. Awesome fairway wood shaft, maybe the best that I have hit. The hyrid shaft, I like less.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Don't mean to threadjack but I just purchased a G15 with Serrano Stiff.  Although I like the club, I just can't get use to the length of the shaft at 45.75 inches.  If I was to cut the shaft, say an inch or so, how would that affect the ballflight, kickpoint, etc.  Please give me some advice before I decide to cut the shaft.  Thanks in advance!

cutting it from the butt end won't really have an effect on ball flight.  Any change will be from the difference in ballstriking.

However if you are going to add weight back you may want to tip the shaft a bit.

#13 buztech

buztech

Loved my R7 irons without paintfill...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24327
  • Ebay ID:buztech
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Hi all...  caanders, I noticed you and I play almost the same set of shafts (I also like VS proto and PL Red).

How is the Serrano ballflight and distance compared to VS Proto?  What about the stiffness and feel (sounds they are about the same?)

Also, will be interested to see what people think of:

Serrano vs VS Proto vs Fubuki

I tried hit the Ping G15 line with Serrano, I liked it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors