Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rifles -- Flighted vs. Non-flighted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mkb3245

mkb3245

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

I was wondering what the benefits of going with non-flighted Rifles would be over choosing Flighted Rifles.  It seems to me that for the "average" golfer, the Flighted would be a much better option as it will help raise the flight on  the long irons.  I'm curious because after speaking with two different reps for the same company, one told me to go with Flighted 6.0s, the other told me to go with Non-flighted 6.0s.

Unfortunately, I don't have the spare time to go to a certified Rifle clubmaker and have all the proper frequency, etc. testing done.  I basically had to tell them my swing speeds and my typical ball flight.  

Anyone have any thoughts or real world experiences with these......

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 spk74

spk74

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11685
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

I have two sets of irons: one with standard rifle shafts (non-flighted) and the other with project x shafts.  standard rifles are known for giving a high launch (compared to other brands, like TT DG).  and most, if not all, long irons are designed with a low center of gravity to help launch the ball high.  that is enough assistance for me.

so you just need to decide whether you think you need/want additional help getting the long irons in the air (in particular).  I tried rifle flighted shafts but then my trajectory was too high...and the shafts felt different to me (lower kickpoint, I presume).

if long iron trajectory is not a problem for you, then standard rifles are just fine...and I find the project x shafts help me a little.

#3 lysaght68

lysaght68

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8702
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

I tried both standard and flighted 5.5 rifles in my Cally x-14's awhile back.  I liked both shafts and didn't notice much difference in long iron performance (both were high for me and I generally hit lower flighted iron shots) but the flighted short irons seemed to have a bit lower trajectory than the non-flighted.
Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

#4 Gallery_lee0073_*

Gallery_lee0073_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

Std Rifle...
1.  mid kickpoint
2.  slightly lighter than FRs
3.  more variable trajectory.

Flighted Rifle
1.  variable kickpoint
     2-4 iron - low kickpoint
     5-7 iron - mid kickpoint - same shafts as std rifle
     8-PW - high kickpoint
2.  designed to control trajectory.   High in long irons and lower in short irons.  

Have played both shafts.   Both are excellent shafts.   Which one to go with is personal preference.   If you are a high ball hitter then Flighted might be a good choice as the shafts will help keep the trajectory down in the long irons.  IMO, std Rifles feels slightly more consistent than Flighted Rifles because of its variable kickpoints in the FRs.

#5 Yooper

Yooper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11786
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

I have the flighted rifles in my new MP-60's and I hit the ball a lot higher then I did with any other shaft that I had before in my long irons.  I really love the ball flight that I'm getting with all my irons actually.  It seems to help keep my short irons from going skyward and helps me get a little added height with my long irons which is bonus.  Overall I think the flighted rifles are the best shafts I have ever played.  

Yooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors