Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

1965 Spalding Executive Irons / Woods

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 therkow

therkow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70654
  • Ebay ID:skip-grey
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

I just came into possession of a set of 1965 Spalding Executive clubs (1, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 woods; 2-PW irons).  They have never seen a ball...not hit once.  Chrome is flawless, the finish on the persimmon is spotless, everything shiny as can be, shaft bands are pristine, original grips in great condition if a little hardened.  All the numbers on the hosels match...honestly a 10/10 (i'll try to get some pictures up, but i don't have a camera).  

So!  

I have a question.  Are these worth anything all-original as they are?  Worth enough that I shouldn't regrip 'em with a set of Green Victory full cord i got lying around and play em?

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 obsessed_golfer

obsessed_golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6021
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Why not just stick them in an extra  bag and keep them on display?

#3 therkow

therkow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

i suppose i could...seems a waste of a good golf club though  :)

#4 forgedforever

forgedforever

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68926
  • Ebay ID:crazy4huskers
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

Are those woods possibly laminated and not persimmon?

#5 therkow

therkow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

possibly...i honesty don't know too much about 'em.  The finish is pretty thick so it's hard to tell.  The faces look persimmonish though.

#6 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

if there are  lines in the face of the driver and fairway woods, like the edge of a piece of plywood, then they are laminates. laminates were made out of a very thick sheet of plywood, that was some type of hardwood, more than likely it would be maple plywood.

they are a great display piece, as you say they appear to be unhit.  spalding executive were more of a local sporting goods, or hardware store type purchase.  i wont compare them to the current market of clubs that you can purchase at walmart or kmart, as a complete set. but you should get the picture.

they made bottom line clubs even in those days.  

showing my age, but Volkswagon advertised on TV, the only car in America for less than 1000 dollars. 999.00   they had cigarette commercials on tv at that time also.  the marlboro man and the cows were pretty cool.  

oh for the good old days.   lol
Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#7 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

I had a set of those back in the day...lol.  They were laminate, not persimmon, one of the reasons the 'finish looks so thick", that was to help improve the cosmetics.

Do they have collector value?  About as much as a set of Snead Blue Ridge irons or pretty much anything made by Northwestern Golf.  To be sure, if a collector could be found, they might have some value, but they're more for display than anything else.  Nice piece of history.

Drop a line to Golf House at the Hall of Fame in Florida, might be able to donate them, given their new status, in return for a tax deduction, just an idea.

#8 therkow

therkow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

thanks all for the info...i knew absolutely nothing about these before i got 'em.  I had a suspicion that Spaldings weren't the greatest clubs; the finish on the woods, the way the irons felt, etc. all seemed kinda cheap.  Good thing they were just given to me.  

Anyhoo, thanks again all!

Edited by therkow, 12 July 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#9 obsessed_golfer

obsessed_golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6021
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Spalding Top Flite was the professional line at that time......those woods and irons were very good...I still have my set of Top Flite irons I got in '84.

#10 therkow

therkow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

by the way if anyone would be interested in taking these off my hands, just let me know...i'm sure i can get some pictures taken and all that jazz.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Oldnavycdr

Oldnavycdr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46324
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

Unhitable.  Then.  Now.  But, they sure looked cool in the day!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors