Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Callaway FT-3 Tour

54 replies to this topic

Poll: Callaway FT-3 Tour (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Callaway Fusion FT-3 Tour

1. 5 (Best) (137 votes [68.50%])

Percentage of vote: 68.50%

2. 4 (40 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 3 (15 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. 2 (3 votes [1.50%])

Percentage of vote: 1.50%

5. 1 (5 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 JRusgolf

JRusgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 721
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

Just received my FT-3 Tour Neutral last week from Joe Kwok with a rombax 8021 proto in it. After having more traditional sounding drivers like the 905T and 510TP I can say it didn't take very long for me to get used to this club. However, working the ball with this driver took about 2 rounds and 2 range sessions for me to figure out because of the size. This club sets up very traditional for a 460 and is probably the best looking one out there with the black paint and no markings on the crown. The real advantage with this club is hitting drives into the wind. I picked up 15-20 yards from my 905T. The reduced spin rate I have with this head is great. Having the right shaft is also key with this club to take advantage of the lower spin designed head. Another plus with this club is that people that don't have it, hate it. The sound drives everyone nuts, which can work to your advantage in competition.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 chasm

chasm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4827
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:30 AM

Got the Driver a couple of weeks ago - as a lefty it is obviously 9.5 loft, I went for Neutral weighting and I got it with the stock NVS 65 stiff.  Replaced my Cleveland Launcher 330.  Moving up to a 460cc head has not been a problem and now I have seen it perform, all my other previous concerns have gone too.

It has a much more penetrating flight than the Cleveland - admittedly that is partly a loft thing as the Cleveland is a 10.5 degree.  Slightly early days yet to tell if the shaft is right but it seems to work okay.  If I put a really good swing on this, I am hitting it 270-280 (driver swing speed last year measured at 92 -94, my 6 iron speed has increased by 10% or so over the winter, so my driver speed probably has gone up a bit too).  Certainly over 250 (carry and roll) regularly and this has been in pretty moderate weather conditions so far this year in the UK.  Overall a big step up in distance for me, perhaps 15-20 yds.

As for accuracy, my swing can be as erratic as ever and I will hit some horrid shots.  No fault of the club.  Occasionally I find myself setting up the club a bit too open (Tour has a slightly open face).

The sound is not remotely an issue for me.  I prefer it to the sound of the X, which sounds like an explosion to me.  The Cleveland was much more muted than the FT-3, but this driver sounds really solid.  

Overall, highly recommended, especially for the ball flight and spin characteristics.

#33 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

I've had two retail tour models, one 9.5* with a Speeder 652ex (x) and my new one is a 10.5* retail tour model with a Ozik Code 6 (sx). The FT-3 is an awesome driver but probably not for everyone. The stock shaft does this clubhead no justice at all, a low spin head with a loose shaft deters from all of the benefits asociated with a low spin driver. If you struggle with low launch angles this one is not for you. I would say this driver benefits the lower handicaper which seems to conflict with Callys normal marketing strategy. I would recommend my current combo because it takes full advantage of the technology design in both the shaft and the head to create a driver that rips (seriously!) through the wind and still rolls out past anything else on the market today. I love my FT-3 and would recommend it to everyone with a swing speed greater than 105mph but defintely upgrade the stock shaft and consider one full degree more loft and she will dance with you all day long!
Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#34 andersi

andersi

swing hard and look up

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15110
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have the tour version in an 8.5 with the draw weighting. It has the NV 75x shaft in it... Its definitely the best 460 driver i've ever hit... but not nearly as good of a feel as either my Launcher 400 or my Mizuno MP 001 400 cc. those 2 drivers have better sound, better aesthetics, and better feel. But the Ft-3 is the only driver ive ever had a draw/hook with, and it goes longer  with less effort. So it stays in my bag most days, unless im playing a tight track where i need to feel the ball on the face.
Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5* w/Attas Elements
Callaway X Hot Pro 17* w/Motore F3 80
Adams a12 Pro 20* w/VTS Silver 85
Ping i20 4-UW w/CFS Cushin
Cleveland 588 Forged RTG 54*/60* w/DG
Ping Scottsdale TR ZB S

#35 sheffield

sheffield

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4499
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

I just got the FT-3 Tour 10.5 GD YS-6+ (S).  Have hit it on the range twice; hopefully will get out to play this week.  Interestingly, it replaces my Ping TISI 7* Stock 350 (S) shaft.  I was hoping to improve launch over the Ping while avoiding ballooning.  Based on launch monitor the FT-3 set up looked to optimize carry and launch:   ball speed 155+, launch 12-14*, spin 2800-3000.   However, when I took it out to the range and matched it up with the Ping I found that the Ping had a flatter (lower) trajectory but carried approx same distance and seemed to hit a lot hotter with more roll.  Carry was about 250-260 for both clubs but the Ping was just hotter.

The FT-3 was oK but I had to work hard to keep it from ballooning; it tendend to land with less roll, and somethimes I got a high fade which I wasn't trying for.   I had hoped the low-spin head and 10.5* face would both improve launch and still keep the spin rate down.   But from observation it doesn't seem to do what I thought the Launch Monitor indicated.   It may be the shaft; maybe the way I load it-- something not observed indoors.   Anyone have any additional thoughts?  

thanks...
Sheffield

#36 mfo

mfo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10540
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

The senior partner in my firm, who is 60, had a cobra but could not hit it more than 230.  He just got a 9.5 ft-3 tour neutral with the nvs 55.  He hit several drives today that traveled 260.   this club truly does appear to add distance for certain folks.

#37 adam987

adam987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18038

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Very solid driver, didn't like the sound very well (I sort of like louder less muted drivers)

#38 ToddGsell

ToddGsell

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17203
  • Ebay ID:toddgsell

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

I hit one in the store for a while, and the sound didn't really bother me.  According to the monitor I was picking up some extra yardage with it, and I thought I was sold.  I took the same club out on the range that day for a demo, and I couldn't stand it.  The sound outdoors was just awful.  I want something a little less shrill than my G2, but this felt too much like hitting a wiffle bat.  I had a good reminder that sound plays a huge role in my sense of feel.  The search for the ideal club continues...

#39 Everardo

Everardo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1509

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:17 AM

Dare I say the best driver Callaway has made. I personally like the sound also

#40 DaveyH

DaveyH

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21108
  • Ebay ID:holein405
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

well i have tryed a hell of a lot of drivers and i currently use the 9.5 tour version with a x stiff nvs in neutral.Perfect ball flight easy to shape shots and unlike the 905r takes the right side out of play for me totally

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 bcheeks

bcheeks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22366
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

I used to play a FT-3 9 degree driver with the adila NVS 55 gram shaft, stiff flex.  I could not hit this club straight, nothing but a draw.  I currently have a 9.5 degree FT-3 Tour driver with the graffaloy prolaunch shaft, stiff flex.  I was thinking about trying the same club with the adila nvs stiff shaft.  Anyone have any experience with both of these shafts?  I have a swingspeed of about 105, the prolaunch seems a bit stiff.  Is the stock adila shaft on the tour model more difficult to get up?

#42 Lucky13

Lucky13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4239

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

I have a 9.5 N with ProLaunch Blue Stiff.  SS 107-112.  This club has a solid feel and hides its size well.  It feels a little lite.  Over all could be a solid back-up to my gamer (9.5 TM 580XD TP).

#43 golf80808

golf80808

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130759

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

How does the FT-5 compare with the FT-3?

#44 AcesAZ

AcesAZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17643
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

I've tried and tried and tried to get rid of my FT-3 but I can't find another driver better!!! Used every driver from Taylormade, Cleveland, some Nike, TEE, you name it I've used it. Long, Low spin, pretty forgiving, workable, long (yes I did say long twice), this club flat out bombs!!!! Currently I have a 8.5 with VS Proto 80 X and a 9.5 with 757 Speeder X. I like to use the 8.5 on windy days and the 9.5 when the air is lighter and can carry it higher and further. I've got a Cobra Pro Speed S 8.5 on the way and that's my last attempt to knock the FT-3 out of the bag. If not I'm sticking with the Cally at least till next year.

#45 LJ_GOLF1

LJ_GOLF1

FUBAR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46942

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

I switched to the Ft-3 Tour Neutral as soon as it came out and kept it until the FT-5 was released. The Ft-3 is effortless distance. Very workable. I didn't mind the sound.

#46 melncory

melncory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53755

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Currently have an FT-3 Tour 9.5* with a real NVS 65 stiff (not the stock red NVS).  Absolutely great club, at least after switching from a tour issue Ignite with a Matrix MFS.  The NVS, surprisingly to some, was very responsive and in my opinion is a perfect combo with the great feeling fusion head.  Distance was about average, dispersion was slightly better than im used to, and trajectory was slightly higher (probably because of the shaft) and spin was definitely down......but for me the it was FEEEEEEEEEL that sold me!!!  This will be staying in the bag for a while.  

Distance-8, Dispersion-9, Trajectory-slightly above average, Feel-10

#47 melncory

melncory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53755

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Just following up on a trip to the course with my new FT-3 tour as mentioned above.  Distance seems to be slightly shorter than most drivers ive hit..... but the accuracy.... ooooh the accuracy!!!!  absolutely great on the fairway hitting!!  seems to have quite a bit of forgiveness as far as i can see.  stats in the above post are accurate, still, after the course test.  feel and accuracy are amazing! this driver head, at least, will be in the bag for a long long time.  ;)

#48 epixep

epixep

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60701
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

I still think is one of the best clubs every created....

#49 vakari

vakari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64474

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

I saw one of these in a used bin at a local store for under $100 so I picked it up without even swinging it. The sole reads "FT-3 Big Bertha Fusion Tour 8.5*" and is neutral. It has a orange/gold Aldila NVS 65-S 350 shaft that i only assume is stock. I took it out to the course today and used it exclusively.

It is very easy to look down at this driver. Alot of drivers I have seen lately just seem overwhelming, like swinging a 45" tennis racket. This driver seems to mask its size very well, maybe due to the black color. Who knows, but I like it. Looking at the club in the air gives me the impression that it has a slightly open face, but setting it on a hardwood floor makes it look slightly closed. The face appears to sit very square at address. This appearance is very important to me, I can't stand looking at a club that appears open or closed by default.

The sound is very unique, and tolerable. I agree with the comment above that it sounds similar to an aluminum bat, just without the reverb. Shots near the toe have a higher frequency "ping" sound, and center shots seem to make a very quiet "tfff" as the ball flies away. The only other modern driver I've had in my hands to compare it to is the FT-I square thing. The FT-I makes a sound that resembles "i-have-an-expensive-driver" or "TIIINK" that won't stop echoing.

I was impressed with how well I was able to control the trajectory of my shots. I was playing in some pretty intense wind (Catching some of hurricane Ike near Dallas, TX), and had plenty of chances to hit it high with the wind or low into it (23mph steady, gusts up to 45).

One hole in particular pretty much sealed the deal. It was a short par 4 playing 327 from the back tees, playing dead into this wind. The folks in front of us were walking to the green for their putts/chips. I hit a low drive with about a 10 yard draw that would not come down, it just kept sailing and I didn't see where it came down. When we drove up to hit our second shots, I saw that the folks ahead of us were working on their putting, but there was a ball still sitting just short of the green. No way....  After we located my partner's ball, I drove toward the group ahead of us who were now walking off the green. They still didn't pick up the ball. I waved at one of them and he pointed at my ball, asking me "Is that yours?" I explained that it was, and started to apologize for almost hitting into them. The man said "Don't worry about it. That drive deserved to hit into us." The rest of them agreed and just told me what a great shot it was. I had about a 20 foot chip left for eagle and missed it right by about 3 inches. 310-320 into wind like that? I haven't done that since high school.

I get great feedback with the shaft that is in it, and could tell immediately whether I had toe'd a shot or hit it low on the clubface. Looking at the ball mark on the face verified what I had felt.

My only complaint is that the shaft feels very sloppy coming down into the swing. I would say I have a slower backswing but really come down fast into the downswing. Holding the grip and head in my hands allows me to twist the shaft an uncomfortable amount.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to new equipment (New meaning anything made after 2000). I've been playing a set of 1982? Hogan Medallions, Biggest Big Bertha 7*, Cleveland BeCu wedges, and an Odyssey DF990 since high school in '99 (I think). The shaft in the BBB is a ProForce 65 Gold Low Torque S-Flex (also says "Tip Stiff" near the tip). This shaft was installed simply because I needed to replace the broken stock shaft, and my golf coach at the time suggested it. I know nothing about it really, just that it has worked well for me. When I try to twist this shaft by hand, it hardly budges. I'm interested in replacing the shaft in this new driver, but have no clue what to look for. I'd probably be happy to have my old shaft in this new driver, but I don't know if they are made anymore, or have been made obsolete.

The only other driver I tried before that was a 10* BBB and I could not keep it down, trading it for the 7*. I've always been a fan of Callaway design, with the exception of the FT-I drivers I have seen in the stores, so it seemed natural to me to pick this club up and give it a shot. I have nothing against other manufactuers, and couldn't care less about what is the latest rage or what the guys on tour are using. If it is quality equipment and suits my game, I'm all for it.

I'd give this club a 9/10, though I have nothing since 2000 to compare it to other than my trusty BBB and the FT-I. Now that I'm getting back into the game, maybe I'll be able to take a look at some other options.

#50 slash

slash

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54747
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

View Postmelncory, on May 16 2008, 04:09 PM, said:

Just following up on a trip to the course with my new FT-3 tour as mentioned above.  Distance seems to be slightly shorter than most drivers ive hit..... but the accuracy.... ooooh the accuracy!!!!  absolutely great on the fairway hitting!!  seems to have quite a bit of forgiveness as far as i can see.  stats in the above post are accurate, still, after the course test.  feel and accuracy are amazing! this driver head, at least, will be in the bag for a long long time.  :)

This is my experience with the FT-3 Tour 9.5 head with NV R and S flexes.  This is what I play all the time and love the club off the deck...don't carry a 3 wood and have a ss of 95-100 +/- 5mph

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35693

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Out of all the drivers I've hit, this is still my favorite.

#52 pbwmca

pbwmca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47467

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still uses this.

I got my hands on a genuine tour issued fade bias 9.5 with a Fujikura Tour Vista 60 shaft and it BOMBS!!

I went to a Mizuno demo day which had the doppler radar flight monitor and they couldn't find a combination that improved on the FT3.

The best driver I have ever played. Period.

#53 touch

touch

wedges are the most fun

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25409
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Again I will state as the above posts this is still one of the best drivers to play.
Just as good as the FT5 or new FT9 tours.

#54 GatorBait

GatorBait

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44251
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I've recently dumped my FT-5 and FT-9 and switched back to an FT-3.  This club is just sickening long.

#55 diehllane

diehllane

Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312797
  • Ebay ID:diehllane
GolfWRX Likes : 354

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I actually still use this club...
I will be upgrading this year though, but I snagged it a couple years back for about $25 on ebay and it's been phenomenal for me. I'm playing a 10.5* but I can still keep it low for the few links courses I play and also send it high when it's wet out.

Ping i25 10.5*, lofted up to 11*
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5*
Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3h, 4h, 5h
Mizuno JPX 825 6-9i
Vokey SM4 46.08, 52.08, 58.09, 64.07
SeeMore Si4 35"
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors