Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Optimum Driver Launch Angle

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 5under

5under

5under

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79674
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Is the optimum launch angle the same for every golfer or does it vary depending on ball speed?
It seems logical that the higher the ball speed is the lower the optimum launch angle would be.
I think that is why Long Drive Competitors use driver lofts like 4, 5 and 6*.  
I also know that many questions do not have a logical answer.
I had a driver swing speed of 105 to 110 mph with a 145 to 155 mph ball speed today on the Vector LM at GolfSmith.
My current driver has a launch angle of 10.5* to 11.5* on the GolfSmith Vector Launch Monitor using Callaway range balls.
Am I going to be OK with that launch angle or should I find a way to increase it a degree or two?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 irishfight4it

irishfight4it

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30698
  • Ebay ID:friedfamtraders
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

its actually opposite.  the higher the speed the higher the launch angle.  the lower the speed, the lower the launch angle and higher spin

that is my understanding

#3 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Slower the clubhead speed the higher the optimum launch angle.  Long drive guys may use low lofted clubs but with the postive angle of attack they launch it around 10-12*   I'd say you should get your launch up to 12-14* as long as you can keep the spin rate between 2000-3200.

#4 5under

5under

5under

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79674

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on Jun 25 2009, 09:21 PM, said:

Slower the clubhead speed the higher the optimum launch angle. Long drive guys may use low lofted clubs but with the positive angle of attack they launch it around 10-12* I'd say you should get your launch up to 12-14* as long as you can keep the spin rate between 2000-3200.
Thanks for your help iteachgolf.
Without the expense of changing my driver head or shaft, how can I increase my launch angle a couple degrees?
My guess would be to tee the ball slightly higher and move the ball forward in my stance an inch or two.

#5 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

The real question is why is yours so low? Could contact, could be angle of attack, could be face angle. Idk what you're doing but I recommend talking to someone who is qualified in the Tampa Area.

#6 HiJon89

HiJon89

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56621
  • Ebay ID:HiJon89
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

I put a Prolaunch Red in my driver and my numbers on the launch monitor were 108MPH clubhead speed, 155MPH ball speed, 8.5* launch angle, 2500RPM backspin, 270 yards distance. My launch angle numbers seem really low but I love the ball flight the Prolaunch Red gives me and I've definitely gained distance so I'm not too worried about it. So if it works for you don't worry about it. If you're swing is consistent and you're comfortable with it I definitely wouldn't try to change your swing to gain 1 degree in launch angle.

Edited by HiJon89, 25 June 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#7 123tony

123tony

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52875
  • Ebay ID:g00seegg

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

i went for a driver fitting recently on a trackmam system. with my current setup and swing path i was at a -2* AoA, carry was approx 200 with 220 total yards. after finding the right shaft and a little tweeking of my setup, ball more forward, slightly higher, and more spin tilt(the biggest factor i believe), AoA was +1-2*. this resulted in about 20 yards more carry without any increase in spin. If you can move the ball up and tilt back, back hip pushed towards the ball, back shoulder lower, this could increase your AoA if it is negative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors