Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best putter you ever saw - what putter did they use?

68 replies to this topic

#61 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 30428

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

View Postsevenfourate, on 23 October 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Can't believe i'm the first to say it.....But surely this topic is back-to-front ? A good putter could use anything - you could argue.

Surely we should be encouraging a S**t-list of equipment the most truly awful 4 and 5 jabbers you've ever come across used.

I mean some of the shapes they make, the awful strokes they thrust into the deepest, darkest crevices of our mind; and lets not forget the tools they choose to inflict upon us could be contagious.....
Beat up putters one really comes to mind-- Mark McNulty I think he is from Canada--- Like Corey Pavin has putted with the same Bullseye for years--- Mark's putter is so beat up it looks like it has been used for a plow point but he can darn sure putt with it. But I have not seen or heard of him on the Champion's Tour for quite a while

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru 9  KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW  Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4550

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

Larry Rinker, when he played the Tour, was considered one of the best putters out there. Unfortunately for him, neither his ball striking (which was pretty darn good) allowed him to score more consistently, and there was this guy named Brad Faxon, who was playing/putting around the same time, who was just a little bit better at both the ball striking AND the putting.
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#63 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

This one is easy.... my son hasn’t missed a putt inside 4 feet in the 25-30 rds we’ve played over the past few years.
He uses an original TM Spider center-shafted model (35 in) put a new GP Tour SNSR grip on it this spring and just keeps rolling.
He didn’t learn to putt from me, i miss a 3 footer per nine on average. sigh.

#64 bigcountry1219

bigcountry1219

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499516
  • Ebay ID:flyhightix
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

A $100 Odyssey V-Line. Guy doesn't miss inside 10 feet.

#65 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 629

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

As this thread shows, the best putter in the world may not be a pro or for that matter, even much of a golfer.

#66 Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124515
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 31 October 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

Can't believe i'm the first to say it.....But surely this topic is back-to-front ? A good putter could use anything - you could argue.

Surely we should be encouraging a S**t-list of equipment the most truly awful 4 and 5 jabbers you've ever come across used.

I mean some of the shapes they make, the awful strokes they thrust into the deepest, darkest crevices of our mind; and lets not forget the tools they choose to inflict upon us could be contagious.....
Beat up putters one really comes to mind-- Mark McNulty I think he is from Canada--- Like Corey Pavin has putted with the same Bullseye for years--- Mark's putter is so beat up it looks like it has been used for a plow point but he can darn sure putt with it. But I have not seen or heard of him on the Champion's Tour for quite a while

I have always loved this thread! I agree Mark McNulty was/is a putting wizard. A couple of quick things about him...he's from Zimbabwe (now an Irish citizen), and wow can that man putt. He changed it up from his old Bullseye a few years ago, at least for a little while, and went to an Odyssey Versa #6...another simple, wonderful putter
g400  9°
915f  15.75°
816h1  19° & 23°
z765  5-p
mp-t5  50°

sm6  56°s
versa 6  35"

#67 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 30428

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:25 AM

View PostLou Loomis, on 14 November 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 31 October 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

I have always loved this thread! I agree Mark McNulty was/is a putting wizard. A couple of quick things about him...he's from Zimbabwe (now an Irish citizen), and wow can that man putt. He changed it up from his old Bullseye a few years ago, at least for a little while, and went to an Odyssey Versa #6...another simple, wonderful putter
Oh ok so he is from Nick Price country---- I have not seen him on TV in quite a while and did not know he had changed up putters--- But thanks for the info
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru 9  KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW  Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff

#68 Billy__Baroo

Billy__Baroo

Well...we're waiting!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 330211
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:03 AM

One of my good buddies was a really solid high school player (won conference freshman and junior year) but had an unfortunate injury that prevented him from playing his senior year and ultimately missed his chance at playing D1. After that he kind of lost the passion for the game, but we still play 3 or 4 times a year and while his game is rusty, his putting is still pretty incredible. He's used the same putter as long as I've known him, a Callaway S2H2 #2. It's cut down to 33" and has a bunch of lead tape on the sole and he makes damn near everything with it.
Cobra F8+ w/ ADDI
Ping G25 16.5* w/ ADBB
Titleist 915Hd 20.5* w/ Diamana D+
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW w/ KBS S-Taper
Mizuno MP-T5 52* 56* 60* w/ S400 TI
Evnroll ER2 34"

#69 JAMH03

JAMH03

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504254
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:29 AM

View Postgreenpiece, on 05 June 2009 - 10:30 PM, said:

I'm always curious as to what great putters use on the greens. Most of the ones I've seen in person have used fairly traditional putters like blades or Anser-style models.

So I'm wondering, of all the people you've seen in person on the course, who was the best putter? And what putter did they use?
Please don't count touring pros like Tiger or Faxon.

The best putter I've ever seen in person is a local senior amateur here in Virginia Beach. He uses a Wilson 8813, the last version they made with the Mandrella name on the sole.

It was like an Anser 2 or Scotty's "version of an anser 2" platinum of some kind, dude just rolled out of bed or came in from partying on New years and shot 2-3 under on a relatively easy muni but he made everything!

At his best he was ranked #176 in the world or something due to some good finishes on the Omega tour or something.

He did give me a tip that absolutely worked though!

And I will never play a Scotty not my style.

Edited by JAMH03, 09 February 2019 - 06:30 AM.

Comparisons are odious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors