Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do I stop cutting across the ball?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TCNorthstars

TCNorthstars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83014
  • Ebay ID:shades9323
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

I am always coming a lot from outside in and it is driving me crazy.  Any tips?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bbtt123

bbtt123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81564

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

Few things I do when I start casting or getting too aggressive:

Stand feet together and make a few swings, now I'm not a teacher at all, and know nothing about why this helps me, but it forces me to be centered around my body and puts me back into a better plane. I think it keeps me from leaning forward in my swing and forces me to stay closer to my center to keep from being off balance.

Another thing would be to take a few swings with your right foot back a bit, seems to do the same thing by not allowing you to get your body out of balance toward the ball by making you keep your weight back on your heels a bit more.

Lastly, force yourself to keep max lag in your swing, that keeps me from casting over the top which I have a tendency to do when I get too aggressive and lose my tempo, think of swinging a wet noodle but dont let it catch up with your hands.

#3 marrigo

marrigo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44545
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Try brushing your right thigh with your right hand on the downswing. Chances are you won't even get close  even though it will feel like you're about to punch yourself in the leg. That's the trick that finally got me to stop coming over the top.
SLDR, 9.5*, 'ahina 60 S
TEE CB4 15*, Xcaliber T6S+
RAZR-X Tour 18*&24* Rombax 8D07HB
RAZR-X Tour 5-PW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x
Scratch 8620 54*&58*,C-Taper S+SS 2x
RAZR-X Forged GW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x

#4 TCNorthstars

TCNorthstars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, I"ll try those.  Hopefully I don't actually hit myself in the leg! :lol:

#5 tm22721

tm22721

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65200
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

TCNorthstars, on Jun 4 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

I am always coming a lot from outside in and it is driving me crazy. Any tips?
There are a dozen reasons for not having a straight plane line. Get some DTL video of your good vs. bad shots to see the cause and effect. A bandaid like bringing the club down inside could fix one problem but engrain another such as a dipping right shoulder and failure to release - which creates an open club head, much worse than having an out-to-in club path.

#6 TCNorthstars

TCNorthstars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:59 AM

marrigo, on Jun 4 2009, 03:05 PM, said:

Try brushing your right thigh with your right hand on the downswing. Chances are you won't even get close even though it will feel like you're about to punch yourself in the leg. That's the trick that finally got me to stop coming over the top.

Tried that in the back yard with about 20 shots from a 7 iron.  Seemed to help out.    I am going to the range tomorrow and will try some more.

#7 golf ball

golf ball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67336

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:42 AM

Trying to stay behind the ball helped me a lot especially with the driver.  I was moving laterally towards the target and turning too quickly and OTT was the result.

#8 prscustom222

prscustom222

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84192

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:43 AM

make a cheap "inside approach" training aid. Use a cardboard box (i use diaper boxes. perfect size about 2 feet long 1 to 1 1/2 feet high). Take it to the range and set it down. put your balls (golf balls that is ;) ) about 2-3 inches away from it on the ground at approx  the center of the box. If you hit the box you came over the top. You will learn pretty quickly how not to hit the box. The closer you put the balls to the box the more inside you will have to be to avoid hitting it. Also use the box to align with your target and then align your feet hips shoulders with the box. This will help you keep from setting up with an open stance which will also make you swing outside to in. Lastly make sure you are initiating your downswing with your lower body. Get you weight going forward and fire your hips while your hands lag behind holding that L shape of your arms and club formed by your wrist **** as long as possible. Hope this helps.

#9 CHRIS509

CHRIS509

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14039
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

A nice simple "dry" drill you can do at home, at the range hitting balls or even use as part of  a pre,pre shot routine is the back and under drill.

Basically if your hitting shots (range) use a tee, take your normal address postion, then rasie the club maybe 6 to 10 inches above the ball and hover. Don't change your posture and stay soft/relaxed.
Now make your normal back swing from this start position and then on the down swing feel that you swing "under" your back swing plane line, your feel straight away that your coming from the inside. If you start to over do it to much you will feel a loop.

This is not the be all and end all of fixes for this type of problem but it will help and is very simple and easy.
As some other posts have said their is a lot of factors that can cause a cutting swing path so ideally you need to find the route cause for your swing.

Having said that ive found this drill or rehearsal has helped many players/students.

#10 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 509

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

I had a pretty bad over the top move creep up a few months back and to correct it, I got my swing flatter and more laid off at the top. I would also hit half swing 5 irons, focusing on staying "connected" with my right elbow so it didnt chicken wing out. I'd also put a tee about an inch to the right of the ball and 2 inches behind it. Just a visual aid to see that I should be cominig inside the ball, not across the outer edge.

Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Cbey77

Cbey77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43535
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

Like another post, I use a box.  A shoe box works well for me.  I just place it on the outside of the ball and try not to hit it.  But, sometimes I just can't help coming across the ball a it.  It happens.  If it's not that far outside, you can still play good golf.

#12 TCNorthstars

TCNorthstars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

That try to brush the leg thing really worked out.  I hit 5 out of 7 fairways and 5 GIR today en route to a 3 over 38! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors