Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does adding weight to the clubhead affect shaft flex?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lgriffiths1981

lgriffiths1981

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22997
  • Ebay ID:bombandgouge1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

OK, i've just bought and received a Cleveland Monster XLS with the intention of reshafting with my favourite shaft (Fujikura tour vista 60). I'm reshafting at 44" (just can't handle 45.5") and to get the swing weight back up i'm going to regrip with a Lamkin full cord (1/16+, 65g) and then add 3 x 2g strips of lead tape to the clubhead.

My question is, what will this do to the flex of the shaft, it was butt trimmed to 44" so will the heavier head add kick through impact and effectively 'soften' the shaft?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ken Smith

Ken Smith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64417
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

The short answer is, "Yes."  More headweight will soften your shaft.

#3 freelanceterry

freelanceterry

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26615
  • Ebay ID:streifela
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

If you're re-shafting - why not use a tip weight?

Dry-fit to the desired swing weight and rip away.

#4 jacksonlui

jacksonlui

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9823
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

from what i understand, the flex of shafts are designed with a D2 swingweight in mind.
anything heavier will cause it to flex more etc..

#5 hangubber

hangubber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65321
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

Why not go with a lighter grip?  That heavy grip (65g)  will actually reduce swingweight.  If you went with a lighter grip, you wouldn't need so much lead tape to bring the swingweight up.

#6 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Weight changes in the grip - though they will impact swingweight - will NOT impact shaft flex or head feel.

Swingweight is a way to fine tune FLEX, not FEEL.  Swingweight increases made by adding weight to the head soften the shaft flex and cause you to feel the head more.

Swingweight changes made by changing weight in the butt do nothing to flex or head feel.

-t

#7 csrjr

csrjr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62174

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi guys -

I am rehabbing from a severe clavicle break. My usual irons are mizuno mp-52 PX5.0, but after a couple of fat shots, religion set in and I am now playing Adams A3 with graphite shafts until fully healed (like, next season?).

The irons are significantly lighter - the website actually lists them as D0. I am used to a heavier club, but with the shoulder trying to err on the side of caution.

If I ask the local fitter to add tape to the irons to bring them from D0 to D1, will it affect the shaft too significantly? I am playing a regular flex Grafalloy PRolaunch Red - like lots of mid-cappers, I am right between most regular and stiff - the GRF PL Red feels great as it is. Clubhead just a bit light. Thoughts?

Edited by csrjr, 09 June 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Rocketballz2 15* + 18* Stock Fujikura
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* + 54*; TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2

#8 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Adding 1 SW point will result in the shaft being 1 CPM softer, 10 CPM typically one full flex in irons.

You'll not likely notice any flex changes in 1 SW point. 3-4 points will be required for most amateurs to actually feel the difference in flex.

-t

#9 csrjr

csrjr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

View Postthewitt, on Jun 9 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Adding 1 SW point will result in the shaft being 1 CPM softer, 10 CPM typically one full flex in irons.

You'll not likely notice any flex changes in 1 SW point. 3-4 points will be required for most amateurs to actually feel the difference in flex.

-t

Awesome - I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!
Scotty Cameron Newport2

#10 csrjr

csrjr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

BTW, What's a CPM?

Scotty Cameron Newport2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors