Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putts miss right

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

When my putting is not on, I tend to miss all putts right. It does not matter, if they are uphill, downhill, slow, fast left to right, right to left or straight. The tendency is that the speed is just about perfect, with the ball going a little past the hole, but it consistently shaves the right edge. I use a face-balanced putter (Sabertooth) with a moderate SBST stroke. Since I have decided to do that, my putting has generally become a lot better and more consistent, but as I said, when I miss, it is always right.
What should I check? Set-Up? Which parts of my stroke? Or maybe my eyes? Could it be that I misread them all?
Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Roland

Roland

Rat Fans....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27733
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:17 AM

Check your alignment :)
Razr Fit Extreme
G10 14 & I15 18.5
X Tour 21
Prototype 4-PW
Copper 52 & 58
Versa WBW #1W

#3 philiptheboy

philiptheboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75341
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:00 AM

Aim Left! ;)

Ha. Maybe you just misread them! Might just be a mental thing

#4 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

Do you use an alignment mark on the ball?  That will tell you pretty quick if your aim is off.  Another option is to get a putter fitting / putter lesson.  The one I did used a laser to check various aspects of both my stroke and my specific putter.  For example, if your lie angle is off, that could cause the ball to spin slightly to one side or the other.

#5 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Lowho, on May 18 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

Check your alignment :)

I saw that coming.  :D
That's easy to do on the practice green, when I can use all sorts of alignment aids. What sort of routine could help on the course?

#6 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:18 AM

atlanta golfer, on May 18 2009, 12:07 PM, said:

Do you use an alignment mark on the ball?  That will tell you pretty quick if your aim is off.  Another option is to get a putter fitting / putter lesson.  The one I did used a laser to check various aspects of both my stroke and my specific putter.  For example, if your lie angle is off, that could cause the ball to spin slightly to one side or the other.

That's why I love this site. I "meet" a lot of people who are just as much in love with detail as I am.
I use Z-URS and Callaway Tour ix balls most of the time, both have alignment marks on them and I always try to align them the way I want the putt to start. They do not roll end over end perfectly all the time, but from what I can tell, they do most of the time. Which, I guess would suggest a good stroke, but a tendency to misread the putts consistently to the right, correct?
The putter (34", with the standard (for the Sabertooth) 70 lie) was the result of two fittings. I had one with a Ping rep on a demo day, which gave me the same results for the Craz-E I series and one with Yes! which gave me the same results for their face balanced putters. 34" length, 70 lie angle seems to be perfect.

#7 ktbfsu

ktbfsu

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43968
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

i can't remember what i watched or what i read.......whether it was an article or a video/dvd......but whichever it was, it very convincingly debunked the notion of "side spin" causing otherwise properly aligned putts to veer ever so  slightly off course.   the article/video left me virtually certain it's face angle (alignment) not "side spin" (imparted due to poor stroke mechanics) that is the culprit when putts are off line.   in sum, "side spin" is pretty much a myth.

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

Look at the other suggestions - like alignment and aim. Make sure your setup is square (that keeps it simple) Feet, knees, hips, shoulders, eyes (head) - are square at setup. Make sure the shaft is straight up and down at setup and not backwards (backwards can lead to the rights).

Check ball position -- slightly back will push everything right. The ball position must be consistent. I also like the width of my feet consistent.

Check your lead elbow - if it flares out or chicken wings a little, the putterhead won't release and you may push. Bring the elbows slightly more into the body without them feeling restricted.

It may be a combo of the two.

As Richie below stated, you can get a quantitative analysis as to what the putterhead is doing and work backwards to find the issue. Or you can find an instructor to check your positions.

Edited by SwingMan, 18 May 2009 - 07:25 AM.

Callaway is trending up

#9 Richie3Jack

Richie3Jack

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67062
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

The simple diagnosis is at impact, the putterface is aimed right of your target.  So, it's not necessarily the putting stroke path, it's the putterface that is important.  

This may be caused by a variety of things like the putterface being slightly open at address, which can be caused by poor address alignments of your body (the head gets out of position and then when you align the putter the eyes are misaligned and that causes poor aim).  

I usually suggest try and finding a pro who has a SAM Puttlab machine.  It uses ultrasound sensors to give you just about every possible position of you putterface, putter shaft and stroke path in your putting stroke.  They are a bit hard to find, so you may want to find a pro who has the TOMI instead.  It's like the SAM Puttlab, but not as thorough with it's measurements.

If you can't do that, I'd suggest getting the LPAS (Laser Putting Alignment System).  They go for about $40.  I have one and use it about once a week.  Just a laser that you can put on any putter and check your aim at address. My tendency is to aim right so I use the LPAS to train my eyes to aim back to square.  I'm also considering trying 'The Kure' Putting aid, but I haven't used it yet.  I can get a cheap deal on one and should get it soon.

Also, if you're aiming right, you're usually better off with a putter that has more offset to get you aiming back to square.  Conversely, if you aim left, you're better off with less offset or a putter that is center shafted.

3JACK

#10 blade_man

blade_man

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47994
  • Ebay ID:napaman
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

SwingMan, on May 18 2009, 07:56 AM, said:

Check ball position -- slightly back will push everything right. The ball position must be consistent. I also like the width of my feet consistent.

Check your lead elbow - if it flares out or chicken wings a little, the putterhead won't release and you may push. Bring the elbows slightly more into the body without them feeling restricted.

+1 here, this is what I was going to post.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

-Alignment?

-Lie Angle could be a degree flat or so?  Do you have high hands with the toe slightly down compared to the heel?

-Just be patient.  How many are you missing right from within 6 feet?

#12 Will Par

Will Par

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48373
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

+1 on aim left.  If you are consistently missing just to the right, your putting stroke is good.  It may sound like over- simplification but just aim one or two inches left of your perceived line.  I once read that Bob Charles sometimes adjusted his aim slightly to offset a tendency in his putting stroke.  Only do this when you notice your putting is off.  Good putting is about finding a way to make putts with whatever stroke you have on a given day.

#13 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

try a putter with different offset

#14 golf_fanatik

golf_fanatik

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35492
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

I had the same problem.. in my case it was due to the fact that I never closed the face properly with a conventional grip.  I chnaged to LHL (left hand low) and that has helped me tremendously to square the putter face and my shoulders to the line I want.

Try the LHL grip during practice just to see if it helps you.

#15 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

SwingMan, on May 18 2009, 07:56 AM, said:

Look at the other suggestions - like alignment and aim. Make sure your setup is square (that keeps it simple) Feet, knees, hips, shoulders, eyes (head) - are square at setup. Make sure the shaft is straight up and down at setup and not backwards (backwards can lead to the rights).

As Richie below stated, you can get a quantitative analysis as to what the putterhead is doing and work backwards to find the issue. Or you can find an instructor to check your positions.

I agree that a square stance keeps it simple.  But personally I have gone to an open stance, similar to what I use when I chip.  It just feels for me much more comfortable and stable.  I believe Jack Nicklaus used a slightly open putting stance as well.  Obviously, this type of non-traditional stance makes it doubly important to do a repeatable setup routine.

#16 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

I worked on the practice green tonight, and I think I found the problem. It seems that I got a little stabby with the putter. The backswing got too long and the through swing too short and I decelarated through the ball. I worked to fix that and as a result the putts started rolling in the direction I wanted them to.
Thank you, everybody, for your input.

#17 drewco24

drewco24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11187
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

1. check your alignment

2. check your path

3. check your putter grip

#18 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

A couple things to check are finding the location of the sweet spot which is not always under the sight line and then check to see how close and how consistently you're hitting the sweet spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors