Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wilson Sam Snead Irons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Slunkhead

Slunkhead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81995
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

My grandpa played this old set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons in the late 80s/early 90s.  After he passed away, I inherited all his old golf gear.  I put most of it in the basement and forgot about it for a few years.  While cleaning out my workshop last week, I found his old irons.  I tried to google some info on them, but can't seem to find anything (years of production, where they were made, etc).  Considering contacting Wilson, but before I do, I wanna see if anyone on here knows anything about these irons.  Are they forged, cast?  Thanks for the help in advance.

samsnead1__2_.jpg samsnead2__2_.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

They were an inexpensive starter set manufactured by Wilson in the 50's and 60's (I think).  Nice irons, probabbly forged, but nothing special at the time.

#3 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

Yes you used to see them at hardware stores, along with baseball bats, gloves and balls, along with  basketballs, and footballs.  For all of you that remember Green Stamps; they had a set at the store you redeemed the stamps for merchandise back in the day, for 4 books of stamps. My dad wouldnt let me get them, thus the reason I remember them so well.

Edited by justaman5, 18 May 2009 - 08:58 AM.

Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#4 youraway2

youraway2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

My dad had a set like these. He couldn't afford to play golf and his clubs set in the shead for years. I believe he purchased them from JC Penney. You have a great gift, keep care of them and the memories.

#5 Slunkhead

Slunkhead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81995

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.  I have been wondering when these were made, had no idea they were possibly from the 50s/60s.  And yeah, I was pretty sure they weren't an expensive set, but their worth means nothing to me, I hold on to them for sentimental reasons.  I might just regrip them and play a round with them lol.

Thanks a lot.

#6 cubfanbob

cubfanbob

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38947
  • Ebay ID:cubfanbob
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

Lots of golfers, myself included, got their start with a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge.  Got mine for Christmas 1966, the classic beginner's set of 1 and 3 woods and 3-5-7-9-Putter.  Still have 'em!
GHIN Index: 17.1
Cleve Classic 310 Tour 10.5 R
Cleve Launcher 3/15 Mashie+ m3, m4
Adams CB3 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 R flex
Callaway Forged 52.10,Vokey 56.11 wedges
Odyssey Metal-X #7  34"

#7 m2daRizzle

m2daRizzle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58589
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

My dad started playing with these, and so did I.  Great starter set from back in the day.

#8 chachd

chachd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7279
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

I agree with all of the posts but would add that they are most likely late 60's or early 70's models. They are forged clubs for department and sporting goods stores and were never sold in pro shops.

I see that you're looking for a 3 wood. I use a Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III with a steel stiff shaft. It's a great club that's from 2002 or 2003 and I'm amazed at the number of tour players and better amateurs who use them when they could have anything. I bought mine used in 2003 and haven't yet found anything better.

#9 YOOFALLMAN

YOOFALLMAN

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5897
  • Ebay ID:YOOFALLMAN

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

I had a set of the Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons, I think they were re-released in the late 70's if memory serves me correctly and instead of the sand blasted strip on the muscle back the finish was all high polished chrome. I also had a matching driver and four wood in a beautiful maple type finish ( Strata Bloc ? ) They were not persimmon heads but the much cheaper laminated alternative....but to a teenager, they were nice all the same.

#10 dakotus

dakotus

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27442

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

This is such perfect timing. I recently acquired a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons as well. I was thinking about reshafting them. Does anyone know what shaft diameter these clubs accept?

this site gives some info, but not all.

http://www.thehacker...read.php?t=4607

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Swingtheclub

Swingtheclub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30394

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

My first full set of woods 1 2 3 4  1964 my Dad bought me for 36 bucks

they were sweet my Pro made me hit that 2 wood off the tee till I could break ninety about six to eight months

I heard later Sam's deal paid him a buck a club.

Sweet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors