Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Re-Ax shaft(s)?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 doalittle

doalittle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4075
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

I've been reading up on the R9 460.  The press release says it has an Aldila Re-AX 60 shaft.  A number of people here on the Wrx have already asked questions about the switch from Fujikura to Aldila, but I just want to know where this shaft came from.  Googling only gives me a hit on the older Re-Ax shaft and one site mentions it is a technology that involves weaving a layer over the graphic from the butt section of the shaft stopping just short of the tip.  That makes sense from a technology perspective, but I find it hard to believe all the manufacturers agreed on a single buzzword to describe it.  Anyways...anyone know the real deal on the stock shaft for the r9 460?...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 allsportscoach

allsportscoach

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61448

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Thanks I was getting ready to post the same thing has anyone seen this shaft yet.  I also wonder why they change brands of shaft for this model.

#3 heybrady

heybrady

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32603
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Pretty sure ReAx means nothing.  Rombax is the weave technology, but comes on the TP models.

My guess is Aldila gave a better price, so TM went with them.   I remember reading on here that OEM pay less than a couple of bucks for most stock shafts like ReAx.

You also have to wonder if Fuji realized they were cheapening the brand by being the stock shaft in all TM clubs.  Hard to charge 3 bills for a shaft when they are free with all TM drivers.  Of course, WRX members not included.

Edited by heybrady, 15 May 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#4 Chappie

Chappie

Let's play sometime!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78190
  • Ebay ID:thechappie
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

View Postheybrady, on May 15 2009, 09:12 PM, said:

Pretty sure ReAx means nothing.  Rombax is the weave technology, but comes on the TP models.

My guess is Aldila gave a better price, so TM went with them.   I remember reading on here that OEM pay less than a couple of bucks for most stock shafts like ReAx.

You also have to wonder if Fuji realized they were cheapening the brand by being the stock shaft in all TM clubs.  Hard to charge 3 bills for a shaft when they are free with all TM drivers.  Of course, WRX members not included.

It's like that with all OEM shafts.  The stores/warehouses that pay for them wholesale really aren't paying significantly more then TM.  It cost shaft companies x amount of dollars to make a club, they sell it to retailers/oems for y amount, who then sell it to you for z amount.

#5 inertiamonster

inertiamonster

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43497

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

Re-aX is Taylormade's "shaft brand" that they've used for a long time, all it is is the stock shaft in non-TP models, no technology story they're just a standard graphite shaft. And actually the 07 Burner TP had two different shafts during it's production run, one by Fuji and one by Aldila. It does come down to a cost game, which ever company can deliver the lowest cost based on volume will win Taylormade's contract for that particular production run or model.

#6 ghromas

ghromas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72523
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

View Postinertiamonster, on May 15 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

Re-aX is Taylormade's "shaft brand" that they've used for a long time, all it is is the stock shaft in non-TP models, no technology story they're just a standard graphite shaft. And actually the 07 Burner TP had two different shafts during it's production run, one by Fuji and one by Aldila. It does come down to a cost game, which ever company can deliver the lowest cost based on volume will win Taylormade's contract for that particular production run or model.
The '07 Burner TP came with a 65g Graphite Design shaft option, not Aldila.  It was not a good shaft (for me).

IMHO, the best OEM Taylormade driver shaft was the real Fuji Speeder that came with the R510 TP.

#7 doalittle

doalittle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4075

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

Ok, so what everyone seems to be saying is that TM came up with the name "Re-Ax" and they slap it on whatever shaft they have the best deal on at the time.  Does that mean that every Re-Ax shaft has roughly the same characteristics (based on some TM spec)?  Also...the technology thing came from here:  http://www.discountg...logy/re-ax.html.  It doesn't look too reputable, but certainly confused me anyways...

#8 inertiamonster

inertiamonster

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

View Postghromas, on May 15 2009, 10:00 PM, said:

View Postinertiamonster, on May 15 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

The '07 Burner TP came with a 65g Graphite Design shaft option, not Aldila.  It was not a good shaft (for me).

IMHO, the best OEM Taylormade driver shaft was the real Fuji Speeder that came with the R510 TP.

Whoops, you're right there was a Graphite Design shaft but there was also a Fuji version at one point in the production.

#9 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

not to get off topic but does anybody like the Re-ax shaft. i have one in my r7460TP and was thinking about ditching it for an aldila NV. i thought when i saw a few pros using this shaft it was decent?

#10 inertiamonster

inertiamonster

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on May 16 2009, 11:21 AM, said:

not to get off topic but does anybody like the Re-ax shaft. i have one in my r7460TP and was thinking about ditching it for an aldila NV. i thought when i saw a few pros using this shaft it was decent?

What you saw the pros using is one of the TP shafts in the same paint scheme, I'm very doubtful that any pro plays the reax from the non-TP clubs as they are not a good fit for a better player. If you don't like the shaft or it doesn't fit your game, reshaft, no need to keep it just because some folks like it and you don't.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 robbie91

robbie91

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42606
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

re-ax means the worst stock shaft in golf (i think id rather have the kmart options) -- pros just have shafts with the same paint scheme on it to make people think they play the stock shaft -- if you look closely you'll see a marking where it says re ax and instead it will say "diamana" exc.

#12 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

i feel like a moron.  when the R7 460 came out i was considering getting my regular green NV shaft. put in it. when i saw all the taylor made professionals using the RE_ax shaft i thought i would give it a shot.
i have never used a stock shaft before, and found out the hard way. Taylor made faked me out, and im not happy about it. why would they disguise a shaft like that?

#13 robbie91

robbie91

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42606
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

View Posthurricanes7, on May 16 2009, 08:27 PM, said:

i feel like a moron.  when the R7 460 came out i was considering getting my regular green NV shaft. put in it. when i saw all the taylor made professionals using the RE_ax shaft i thought i would give it a shot.
i have never used a stock shaft before, and found out the hard way. Taylor made faked me out, and im not happy about it. why would they disguise a shaft like that?

its all marketing they are doing it with the r9 as well -- i think its rediculous as well -- i put a pic up below from a tour burner shaft -- as you can see the graphics look the same but it says the type of upgrade shaft just large enough so the player knows but no one else

Attached Images

• post_55360_1211512720_1.jpg

Edited by robbie91, 16 May 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#14 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

that is total BS. why would they intentionally try to deceive people. i have a huge problem with that. is that the way to see more drivers, thats very sad. i will be calling taylor made today and ask them point blank.
i was wondering why i hit the driver all over the place, and never did before- with the RE-ax shaft. i was thinking it was me, and maybe its not. either way ill be replacing it ASAP.

#15 ghromas

ghromas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

i actually don't mind it at all.  unless having a "stock looking" shaft affects your confidence at address, it's probably more a positive.  you could have an expensive shaft while also less likely to get stolen when unattended at a muni, less likely to get messed with by locker attendants or the golfer TSA agent, and possibly even get you more strokes from an unaware new opponent who will size you up by your equipment.

the new r9 shafts all look the same.  even the taylormade reps will accidentally put a 3wood shaft into the driver heads.

#16 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

stock looking isnt a problem, poor performance and a lousy shaft is a problem.

i dont worry about people stealing my shaft, someone damaging my shaft, or get more strokes in a match, all i care about is performance. and this shaft does not perform well, and is hidden with an label that professionals do not use. thats false advertising.
"size you up by your equipment " - what are you talking about?

#17 djl0657

djl0657

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70969
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

I was told by a club fitter once that the major manufacturers contract thousands of shafts of the cheapest price and quality available and then put their markings on the shaft that correspond to a driver head.  Driver head technology is about maxxed out, making the shaft a more important piece of the club (dare I say MOST important piece of the club).

I have usually reshafted my drivers and have always had better results with an aftermarket shaft in them.  It's not that expensive and it pays dividends over time.

I just reshafted my 07 BURNER with a HARRISON SAGA shaft and the results are amazing.  The 08 BURNER goes in this week for the identical treatment.  The shaft is the most important part of the driver, and is usually the cheapest component on the driver.  The trick is to find one that suits your speed and game.

#18 ghromas

ghromas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

oh, am not arguing that the stock re-ax (non-rombax) shaft from the old r7 series drivers were complete crap, while the rombax versions were great.  my point is that when buying those TM drivers, including the r9 series, you really have to pay attention to the shaft label and specs since they all look the same from 3 feet away.  even then, you have to research that the shaft is a "real version" or a "made for" shaft (not to say the "made for" versions are poor quality in any way- a very common misconception).  it's not false advertising, you just didn't pay enough attention, didn't do enough research, and probably didn't demo the club properly.  i don't even want to get into this, as i'm only scratching the surface.

and when playing casual matches with new people, even after announcing handicap, i know a lot of guys who will be less stringent on negotiating strokes when the equipment in their bag looks cheap, old or just "hacker-esque."  you don't have to agree with it, but it happens.

#19 BDPgolfer

BDPgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46461
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Well this thread has got me thinking again of having my 07 Burner reshafted. I truly think there is something out there better than the stock ReAx shaft that is in it, that can get me better results. I am definitely getting some air under the ball and would like to bring it down a shade.

Does the stock ReAx shafts have a low kick point therefore causing higher ball flight? If so I think I would need a mid kick shaft and possibly go up from 50g to 60-65g on weight.

I had a 905R with the stock V2 76g shaft and loved it but wasnt getting much distance with it and then finally got fitted and ended up with a much lighter shaft. I think if I went a little heavier I may be a little more consistant with it than I am now without giving up much distance.

#20 ghromas

ghromas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

View PostBDPgolfer, on May 18 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

Well this thread has got me thinking again of having my 07 Burner reshafted. I truly think there is something out there better than the stock ReAx shaft that is in it, that can get me better results. I am definitely getting some air under the ball and would like to bring it down a shade.

Does the stock ReAx shafts have a low kick point therefore causing higher ball flight? If so I think I would need a mid kick shaft and possibly go up from 50g to 60-65g on weight.

I had a 905R with the stock V2 76g shaft and loved it but wasnt getting much distance with it and then finally got fitted and ended up with a much lighter shaft. I think if I went a little heavier I may be a little more consistant with it than I am now without giving up much distance.
The graphite design 65g shaft that came with the 07 burner wasn't bad.  I honestly don't know much abt the stock ReAx shafts, but would guess they're not as consistent as an aftermarket shaft.  Did you pull the heavier V2 shaft?  I'd just keep both drivers depending upon the course and how I'm swinging it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 bulls9999

bulls9999

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73827
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Maybe that explains why I'm having problem with my newer TM 2011 Rescues (white top) with ReAX 65-gm Aldila RIP shafts....got both the 3* and 4* hybrids and they feel dead.  I keep going back to my older circa 2005-06? TM Dual Rescues with 65-gm ReAX (Fujikura?) and I hit them solid.  The reason I got the TM 2011 rescues with ReAX 65-gm was I thought they were just newer upgrades (same shaft weighting, same flex), but they feel like 2 completely different animals... i can hit the older ones solid, but can't hit the newer ones for beans.  About to sell the 2011's.  I don't know what people see in these RIP shafts, but I'm thinking they have a high torque value compared to the older ReAX shafts?... anyone have any specs on the new (Aldila's) vs old (Fuji) ReAX's?

View Postdoalittle, on 15 May 2009 - 11:39 PM, said:

Ok, so what everyone seems to be saying is that TM came up with the name "Re-Ax" and they slap it on whatever shaft they have the best deal on at the time.  Does that mean that every Re-Ax shaft has roughly the same characteristics (based on some TM spec)?  Also...the technology thing came from here:  http://www.discountg...logy/re-ax.html.  It doesn't look too reputable, but certainly confused me anyways...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors