Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Any SM Micro Cart reviews?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

I've been thinking about getting a push cart and the pro shop at my home course just got some Sun Mountain Micro Carts in.  I have been considering the Clicgear 2.0 (love the way it looks and folds, stylish and modern) but am intrigued by the Micro Cart.  4 smaller wheels instead of 3, folds down fairly small (possibly smaller than Clicgear), lightest cart available.  My concerns are the small wheels and the lack of a strap to secure your bag - your bag just kind of sits between two plastic 'claws' at the top.

Anybody put one of these in play yet?  How do the small wheels work out on bumpy fairways?
Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Bscary

Bscary

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6420
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

i have the same concerns. saw it today and like the compartment a lot. but for some reason, even though it has 4 wheels, i could see it being less steady than a clicgear or speedcart.  i have an unopened clicgear sitting ay home waiting to be unwrapped. i just want to exhaust all options before i decide to go with it. i was waiting on this but just from checking it out at the store i wasent impressed. every high-end cart has at least one big flaw. the clicgear has a terrible cupholder and no net. the sun mountains dont use bungie. maybe that small bagboy cart? i think its called the mini?

#3 Bscary

Bscary

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

bump for a review or thoughts on this cart.

#4 balbowski

balbowski

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120697
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

CONS:
I don't like how there are only two settings for the height of the handle.
Hard to turn cart with the fourth wheel.
Odd little cupholder seems to impede folding down of the cart.
The little piece on the bottom of the cart designed to fit larger bags seems to be useless.

PROS:
Very lightweight, yet still seems to be a durable aluminum structure.
As long as you have the brackets set right, the bag stays pretty well.
Easy to fold down and up.
Sun Mountain has great customer service.
Solid tires.
The brake is nice, I like it more than the ClicGear 2.0

Overall I like the ClicGear 2.0 a little more. The adjustability is better and the compact design is great. They both are good carts though.

#5 Bscary

Bscary

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

preety much what i thought. i guess im opening my clicgear.

#6 montana-player

montana-player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40001

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

I had a chance to use the MicroCart recently,  been using a Speed Cart V1 for years.

Imagine the V1 as a SUV and the Microcart as a sports car.    The V1 rolls farther and more freely.  The MicroCart is easier to push from a standstill because it is 6 lbs lighter,  but once you have it rolling it doesn't roll as freely as the V1.   The MicroCart is more stable than the V1 or ClicGear on a sidehill.   The microcart wheels aren't as shock absorbing as V1 wheels,  but there is some flex built into the frame which absorbs shock.   I didn't have to use my brake as often around the greens and on little side hills b/c the MicroCart didn't want to roll away as freely as the V1.

The MicroCart is not more difficult to turn than the V1,  you press down on the handle to lift the front wheels.   It is actually lighter,  so easier to tilt.   The smaller overall footprint of the MicroCart and the sporty design are intriguing.  

If you are concerned with weight and size  ( you drive a small car or don't like lifting a heavier cart into your trunk),   buy the Micro.   If you drive a larger vehicle and don't mind lifting the heavier V1,   stick with the V1.   Both nice carts,   just different options.

#7 rlheiman

rlheiman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11035
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Sun Mountain Micro Cart

4 > 3

Mathematically speaking four is always greater than three.  When it comes to stability and comfort, we more often will choose 4 over 3.  ATVs used to be 3-wheelers, now they are all 4-wheelers.  So Sun Mountain decided that they would add a wheel to their carts and see what happened.

Posted Image

The Micro Cart is just that, a small package of a cart folded up.  I have used just about every kind of push cart and model on the market; I have tried them all on the course.  I have always been a fan of the Sun Mountain Speed Cart, V1 and V2.  The problem was, they didn’t fit in my car the way I wanted them too.  I couldn’t get it in the trunk along with my clubs.  To be fair I drive a MINI Cooper, but still, the Speed Carts are big even folded up.  But now in 2009 I can once again use a Sun Mountain Cart because the Micro cart fold up into a small 24” x 16” x 12 package, fitting nicely in the trunk of my MINI.

Posted Image

The process of folding and unfolding is very simple; it has an accordion like fold and two main yellow clips to be aware of.  The first, locks the back wheels out and back in the proper position, while the other yellow clip holds the handle in place at one of two heights.  The lower height seems way to low for most golfers.  I am not tall by any means at 5'9" and the lower setting wasn't even close to working.  The taller setting worked well for me, and I think will work best for 90% of the people who use this cart.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The wheels themselves are hard wide foam wheels over three spoke mag wheels.  They are not nearly as big as previous Sun Mountain wheels.  The fronts are 7.5” while the backs are 9”.  At first the wheel size was a concern on maneuverability and elevation for getting through the thick MN rough.  I was pleased with the smooth stable ride; I was even more impressed with the stability and ability to glide through the rough.  The only down side I could find for the wheels were their speed.  They do not roll nearly as fast as the Speed Cart wheels nor any other air-filled tires.  I did a couple of down hill tests with this cart compared to my other carts and this one came up shorter every time.  It just doesn’t roll as fast or as far.

Posted Image

But that is not to say it is a difficult push, quite the contrary, because it is very light, it pushes very easy.  The handles are also set in such a natural position that it feels so comfortable pushing this cart down the fairway.

Posted Image

Again Sun Mountain used the Speed brackets to hold the bag at the top.  They did work well and held my IZZO bag in place without a single issue.  But I still prefer the old Speed Cart straps; there is just something to be said for peace of mind.  The bottom just sat on a tip out shelf.  I was most concerned with this, but it proved me wrong.  The bag never moved, was never in any danger and rode ever so smoothly and securely on that shelf.

Posted Image

The glove box was very well done.  It is large enough for any rangefinder, and has a clear cover so that you can see what you have inside.  It also has a divider for golf balls or whatever else you want to put in there and comes padded with a slide resistant pad, so things stay put in the glove box.  On top off the glove box is the magnetic score cardholder.  It was much more powerful than I anticipated.  You will rip the scorecard before it flies out from under that magnet.  Below that there is a ball holder, tee holder and pencil holder, they all work just as designed.  As always there is an umbrella holder right in the middle of the handle.  Right below that is the net-style beverage holder.  It works very well for bottles of most shapes and sizes.  The only down side for me was that I have a screw in GPS holder that goes into the umbrella screw.  It then holds my uPro GPS right over the beverage holder.  It allows me to use one or the other, but not both.

Posted Image

The brake uses the same handle mechanism that Sun Mountain has used in the past, a flip down lever for brake and flip up for release.  It is spring loaded to brake that I found to be really handy.  It also uses a much better system than previous Sun Mountain carts.  There is a disc with holes in it on the left rear wheel.  The brake is a pin that slides into a hole and locks that wheel.  The design and execution are perfect.  It felt rock solid and seemed to line up instantly every time.

Posted Image

In my book 4 > 3.  This rock solid, stable riding, lightweight, tiny folding Sun Mountain Micro Cart is a real winner; especially for us space conscious golfers.

For more information: www.sunmountain.com

Ryan Heiman
Independent Golf Reviews

Edited by rlheiman, 09 June 2009 - 10:22 AM.

#8 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20859
  • Ebay ID:ckneasel

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

i think the Clicgear folds much smaller than the SM... and no strap is kinda crazy... i wouldn't feel comfortable with that at all, so there goes my thoughts on picking one up...

#9 Lefty4par2

Lefty4par2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38113
  • Ebay ID:huntnman

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

View PostDieselMp32, on Jun 9 2009, 09:23 AM, said:

i think the Clicgear folds much smaller than the SM... and no strap is kinda crazy... i wouldn't feel comfortable with that at all, so there goes my thoughts on picking one up...

The geometry of the clicgear and the micro are different, but the clicgear isn't smaller once folded up.   The lack of straps it totally not crazy.  I went from a SM speed cart from 2 years ago to the new v1 model with solid tires and the claws on the sides for the bag hold it far BETTER than the straps did.  With the straps, my bag would slide, and the straps were in the way of a few pockets, but with the claws, the bag doesn't move at all and I can get to all pockets now.

I simply don't like the looks of the micro... kinda has that "baglady" look to it to me... sort of like a grocery cart... lol

But, It's a solid cart, and much lighter than either of the others (v1 and clicgear).  

BTW... GREAT REVIEW Ryan!!!!

#10 stp

stp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1385
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

View PostDieselMp32, on Jun 9 2009, 08:23 AM, said:

THe no strap works great. I have the speed cart with the no strap setup and use a ping hoofer vantage. I have never encountered any problem with my bag falling out or shifting. I let my bag freewheel down pretty steep hills and never a roll over or any problem.

Check out those sweet welds on the micro. If I ever get another cart that would be it. However, my speed cart and clubs fit easily into the back of my prius. when I am not driving  my eco friendly yin vehicle, I throw all my gear into my Chevrolet 4x4 Suburban and it does not matter what size the cruddy cart is. Man got to have his yang. Longboard and clubs make for a good surf and turf. Pulled a nice double yesterday with a surf in the morning and a easy nine in the afternoon.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 montana-player

montana-player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40001

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Nice review and thanks for the pics!   Can you show a picture of the MicroCart with your bag on it?   I think it does look quite sporty.  

I agree that no straps is not an issue.   You just have to trust gravity and know  the bag is resting at an angle with enough downward force to keep it from falling off the cart or moving too much.    As far as I'm concerned,  it is just one less step in the process from pulling up in the parking lot and heading to the first tee.

#12 rlheiman

rlheiman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

#13 rlheiman

rlheiman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

#14 lobwedge

lobwedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21346
  • Ebay ID:kro56

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Saw one in store today.  What I really like about it is that front wheels don't extend beyond bag.  I have clipped an ankle and been on receiving end of same since you cannot see the front wheel of a speedcart or clickgear when pushing.

My speedcart is the original version year 2---first one with brake.  About 8-9 years old
It has been through 3 brake cables. a set of velcro straps and  a new bottom bag mount since other was scraping.

I use cork bicycle handelbar tape as the foam got chewed up and the tape is easy to apply.

So i think my V1 will go into back-up mode and I will get one of these.

one caveat--a narrow stand bag will not work well on one of these--bracket too wide.  Holds a cart bag very nicely.

#15 onwrd2vctry

onwrd2vctry

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43285
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Used my new micro cart yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I can't think of a single complaint.  The Sun Mountain team put a ton of thought into this thing.  Very, very light.  Walked off the course with plenty of energy left and the back felt great.  Very happy with my investment.

Edited by onwrd2vctry, 29 July 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#16 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

I've had the Micro Cart for about a month now and have booked about a half a dozen rounds with it.  It was a big step for me to go with a push cart as I have always disliked the look of them and the "non-player" connotation.  Over the past couple of years I have been riding more often than walking/carrying due to fatigue/back knee and  hip pain factors.  It is amazing how much better I feel on the last four or five holes and especially after the round with the new Micro Cart.  Here are some thoughts...

I like that the bag just sits on it with no straps.  (No problems with bag falling off)
The four wheel design makes it very stable on uneven terrain or hills.
Extremely easy to fold/unfold.
Super small profile when folded for transport.
Nice compartment for valuables.

Dislikes:
The cup holder design isn't that great and is only really good for sealed plastic bottles or cups with lids/straws.  I occasionally like to pick up a beer from the beverage cart on the last few holes and the cup holder is pretty much useless for an open beer bottle/can.
The location of the brake is such that I tend to hit it accidentally quite often, especially if I am carrying a drink in my right hand while pushing the cart.

I'm sure Sun Mountain will address these issues in their next version but overall this is an excellent cart, even though my buddies are busting my balls and telling me I look like I'm pushing a baby carriage on the course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors