Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Can you chip your ball if its on the green?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Chitostyle

Chitostyle

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79568
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Last time out, I had a putt where I had to putt my ball well off the green and close to the first cut of rough. Is it legal for me to pull out a wedge instead, even though I'm on the green?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 erikdavis

erikdavis

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4024

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

Its legal

#3 golfismygame

golfismygame

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26347

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Chitostyle, on May 9 2009, 03:47 PM, said:

Last time out, I had a putt where I had to putt my ball well off the green and close to the first cut of rough. Is it legal for me to pull out a wedge instead, even though I'm on the green?

You may use any club for any stroke.

#4 Chitostyle

Chitostyle

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79568

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

Great, thanks guys :)

#5 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Just don't let the greenskeeper see you ;)

I remember last year (2 years ago?) at the Masters I saw Phil flopping over part of the fringe off of (and onto) a two tiered green.

Edit: This was a joke, for those who didn't get it.

Edited by yoonie, 09 May 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#6 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

It is perfectly legal, however, outside of a tournament round, it is generally considered very bad form. Unless you are skilled enough to do it with out roughing up the green at all. Taking a divot on the green does not just upset the greens keeper. It generally will upset any members who may have to putt over that spot in the coming week.

#7 ws6

ws6

Pacific Dunes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15560
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Calc did it a The Open a few years back.  He said his distance control was better chipping than putting (it would have been a very long putt).

#8 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46191
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Why don't they establish a rule prohibiting chipping on a green?

If you want to use a driver to PUTT your ball on the green, that's ok. Just no CHIPPING allowed.

#9 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

BankerGolfer, on May 9 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

If you want to use a driver to PUTT your ball on the green, that's ok. Just no CHIPPING allowed.
That's fine.  Then I also want to establish a rule saying no clubs other than 6-P, SW and LW for chipping anywhere not on the green.  I also want a rule saying no 5-irons off of the tee unless it's a par 3 with between 180 and 215 yards from the tee markers to the hole.  Also, a rule on when you may use a putter.  Only on greens and cart paths.  No hitting irons off of cart paths.

....I can think of even more pointless rules to make on club selection, but I think for now we're better off letting people make their own decisions on club and shot selection.

-mini
R11 - 10.5* Dromos S
SLDR - 15* Stock Fujikura S
Scrach 18*-46* N.S.PRO S
Scratch 50*, 55*, 60* N.S.PRO S
Edel Putter
Titleist Pro V1X
WITB Link

#10 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5724

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Mickelson did it last week at Quail Hollow.  Picked it clean...no visible mark and no one yelled FIGJAM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Sergio did it at Augusta and Faldo was like, "Ooh, Sergio, don't let anybody see you do that, those greens are sacred!"

#12 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

My last sentence was sarcasm and I think made you miss my point.

If people are concerned that chipping on a green could damage it, then why not prohibit chipping on a green?

minitour, on May 9 2009, 08:37 PM, said:

That's fine. Then I also want to establish a rule saying no clubs other than 6-P, SW and LW for chipping anywhere not on the green. I also want a rule saying no 5-irons off of the tee unless it's a par 3 with between 180 and 215 yards from the tee markers to the hole. Also, a rule on when you may use a putter. Only on greens and cart paths. No hitting irons off of cart paths.

....I can think of even more pointless rules to make on club selection, but I think for now we're better off letting people make their own decisions on club and shot selection.

-mini

#13 dabdias

dabdias

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73727

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

Is this really true? I can chip when my ball is on the green? What happens if I make a mark on the green? Can it be the case that there is a course ruling that chipping is not allowed on the green?

This is a rule I wished I had known before, I much prefer chipping 60 feet (20 yards) then putting.

#14 kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16735
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

Calc took a huge divot out a green at St Andrews in the 90's with his lob wedge. It was the double green, I think 7/13... He was booed by the scots.
PING G20 9.5* GD ADI 6X
PING G5 3 wood Aldila NV X flex
PING I20 20* ProForce X Flex
4-PW S55 w/ ZZ65 Plus 1/4"
PING Tour Gorge wedges 50*/54*/58*
PING TR Anser2

#15 maskedman

maskedman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23404
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Mickelson did it at the 2007 Nissan Open, and the shot came to be  known as the 'Phili Dip'.

http://www.golf.com/...1596973,00.html

Edited by maskedman, 03 June 2009 - 10:09 AM.

PING_G30_10.5_TFC419
PING_G30_7wood_TFC419
TaylormadeSLDR_H_24_Speeder82
PING_G30_5-U_CFS, Gorge 54*
ProV1_2013 / B330S_2014
CameronSelect

#16 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

dabdias, on May 9 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

Is this really true? I can chip when my ball is on the green? What happens if I make a mark on the green? Can it be the case that there is a course ruling that chipping is not allowed on the green?

This is a rule I wished I had known before, I much prefer chipping 60 feet (20 yards) then putting.

There's no rule against chipping on a green but you better not be causing any damage or you could be held liable for it.
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#17 dabdias

dabdias

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

I think I remember now having watched that on TV.

I also found this on you tube

Can I get into trouble if I do it? I much prefer chipping than putting when more than 15/20 feet away. (actually sometimes I think that I wish I was outside of the green so that I can chip)

#18 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

BankerGolfer, on May 9 2009, 09:11 PM, said:

If people are concerned that chipping on a green could damage it, then why not prohibit chipping on a green?

That's fine. Then I also want to establish a rule saying no clubs other than 6-P, SW and LW for chipping anywhere not on the green. I also want a rule saying no 5-irons off of the tee unless it's a par 3 with between 180 and 215 yards from the tee markers to the hole. Also, a rule on when you may use a putter. Only on greens and cart paths. No hitting irons off of cart paths.

-mini
Then let's prohibit putting from the fairway.

There's already a rule for "wrong green" if you happen to hit it off line.  I think that's sufficient.

-mini
R11 - 10.5* Dromos S
SLDR - 15* Stock Fujikura S
Scrach 18*-46* N.S.PRO S
Scratch 50*, 55*, 60* N.S.PRO S
Edel Putter
Titleist Pro V1X
WITB Link

#19 Alefty

Alefty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69245

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

Pretty sure course rule against it where I have played.

#20 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Mini,

I know you're only 26 but you're old enough where you should understand the point I'm trying to make: chipping on a green could cause damage to it, so why don't they prohibit it if it's frowned upon at many golf courses?

Putting from the fairway causes absolutely no damage to the fairway.

I sincerely hope you're not trying to make a living on the mini tours....

minitour, on May 9 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

-mini

There's already a rule for "wrong green" if you happen to hit it off line. I think that's sufficient.

-mini

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 jjj912

jjj912

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39663
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I played at a course where one of the greens was a "two-tier" green that was actually more like a two story green.  The lower tier was about 10 feet below the upper tier with a very steep slope.  The lower tier was full of divots where people were pitching to the upper tier.  Putting to the top required a very powerful putt.  It was a bit ridiculous.

#22 resist_hard.

resist_hard.

Tour Winner

• Account Hold
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115855

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I saw michael cambell do this fairly recently. He took a monster sized divot :(

#23 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Ever seen a kidney shaped green with a bunker in the middle of it?  In many cases, you are better off flopping over the bunker with a wedge than trying to putt your way around it.  

In most cases, the NEED to use a wedge on the putting surface is the result of a poorly designed green complex or pin placement.  

Whether the green could be damaged isn't relevant.  And since turf is a living surface, it will heal over time, just like the divot you took in the fairway.  

BankerGolfer, on May 9 2009, 09:57 PM, said:

Mini,

I know you're only 26 but you're old enough where you should understand the point I'm trying to make: chipping on a green could cause damage to it, so why don't they prohibit it if it's frowned upon at many golf courses?

Putting from the fairway causes absolutely no damage to the fairway.

I sincerely hope you're not trying to make a living on the mini tours....

minitour, on May 9 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

-mini

There's already a rule for "wrong green" if you happen to hit it off line. I think that's sufficient.

-mini

Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#24 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 617

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

your golf score is less important than the condition of the greens

many greens I play on are in bad enough shape without divots on them

just putt like a normal person, even if you have to roll it through some fringe or go off the correct line because of an obstacle in your way

#25 chilichef

chilichef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41192

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Alefty, on May 10 2009, 04:49 AM, said:

Pretty sure course rule against it where I have played.

+1

Almost all courses that I have played on have a local rule that prohibits chipping on the green. I guess this is to protect it from hackers that pretend to play the final round of a major in contention while drinking beer with their buddies.

#26 dabdias

dabdias

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

bllefkay, on May 9 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

There's no rule against chipping on a green but you better not be causing any damage or you could be held liable for it.

What do you mean held reliable for? If there is no rule against it... I am not saying that I am going to do it, but it's good to know that the options exists, in most of my chips I don't make divots because I don't use lob or sand wedges very much.

#27 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,020 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

dabdias, on May 11 2009, 01:51 PM, said:

What do you mean held reliable for? If there is no rule against it... I am not saying that I am going to do it, but it's good to know that the options exists, in most of my chips I don't make divots because I don't use lob or sand wedges very much.

First of all, you should seldom if ever have to chip on the green unless it's a usual situation. I think in my 35 years of playing only one instant came up where it would have been advantageous to chip vice putt but I didn't do it for whatever reason at the time. You need to examine your game (your putting) if you think that chipping routinely on the green would be a better option. Yes if you damage a green then you're responsible for it!

Edited by bllefkay, 11 May 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
SC Square Back Select
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#28 dabdias

dabdias

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

bllefkay, on May 11 2009, 03:17 PM, said:

First of all, you should seldom if ever have to chip on the green unless it's a usual situation. I think in my 35 years of playing only one instant came up where it would have been advantageous to chip vice putt but I didn't do it for whatever reason at the time. You need to examine your game (your putting) if you think that chipping routinely on the green would be a better option. Yes if you damage a green then you're responsible for it!

I don't think I am going to start chipping on the green, but if I need to then I know that I can. Regarding my responsibility, if there is no specific ruling, I don't see why I would be responsible for a divot on the green but no on the fairway. If the course rules out chipping on the green (which I understand), then I should be held responsible, otherwise I don't see why I would be.

#29 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,020 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:47 AM

dabdias, on May 11 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

bllefkay, on May 11 2009, 03:17 PM, said:

I don't think I am going to start chipping on the green, but if I need to then I know that I can. Regarding my responsibility, if there is no specific ruling, I don't see why I would be responsible for a divot on the green but no on the fairway. If the course rules out chipping on the green (which I understand), then I should be held responsible, otherwise I don't see why I would be.

Just let your local Superintendent know what your intentions are and he/she will give you the correct response.

Edited by bllefkay, 12 May 2009 - 04:53 PM.

Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
SC Square Back Select
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#30 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 838

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

If a superintendent doesn't want me to chip on his precious green, he shouldn't be placing the pin in locations which require a shot to be putt off the green in order for the ball to be holed.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors