Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

UPRO Charging

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 weekendwarrior

weekendwarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79447
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

I played my first 18-hole round with my UPRO Saturday.  I have played 9 holes with it four times this spring after work and this weekend was the first it was really nice enough and worked out for me to go out at play with it.  I charged it up fully on Friday night and tee'd off on Saturday morning around 10:30.  On hole 12 the battery icon was turned red and it made it the rest of the round but on 18 it was red with an "!" in the middle of it.  We finished around 2:15 and I turned it off a put it in my bag.  I got to work this morning and turned it on.  Got side tracked for about 45 min and I came back to it and it was completely dead.  

Can I expect the battery to be like this always or does anyone know what caused it?  I have had it plugged in for 6-7 hours now and the light still isn't flashing to indicate its charged completely.

Any thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 northgolf

northgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

My uPro doesn't always flash when it is finished charging.  If it seems like it has been long enough to charge, then I will turn it on and go into  "Settings" -> "Info" and check the battery level there - it is usually at 100%.  

The other thing that is important is to turn it off by holding down the power/menu setting until it turns itself completely off - ignore the yes/no menu as that leaves it in a state where the power drains.

HTH

#3 Scott-C

Scott-C

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37814

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Do you know what brightness setting you have it set to?  I am sure that it has an effect on battery life.  Did you buy a "black box" or "red box" unit?  I've heard (anecdotally) that black box units might have some battery issues.

As a new uPro owner who has yet to use it for a round of golf, your post is a little unsettling for me...

#4 BrendanH

BrendanH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33246

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

View Postnorthgolf, on May 4 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

The other thing that is important is to turn it off by holding down the power/menu setting until it turns itself completely off - ignore the yes/no menu as that leaves it in a state where the power drains.

HTH

Are you sure about this ? I routinely shut mine off by holding the power button until the yes/no option comes up. I select "Yes" to shut it down. I routinely get 2 rounds before I need to recharge. The red charge light on mine usually does not flash when fully charged either.

To the original poster, do you have it set to shut down the screen every 30 seconds during use ? That's what I use and I have no problem getting about 8-9 hours use. That said I don't use it on every hole as I use a laser for the pin yardages.

#5 scccgc

scccgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58591

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

I've got a "black box" unit from June 2008.
No problems with charging or battery life.
I can typically end a round with 1/2 battery life left.

I have the standard settings.  You may want to verify your settings.

-  Power Conservation:   Normal

-  Backlight:  45%

-  Power LED:  I have this set to "off".  Doesn't seem useful.  I know when my unit is on.

-  Auto Shutdown:  Set for 90 minutes.  Again, not particularly relevant since when in use, the unit is activated every 5 - 10 minutes (or more).  When my round is finished, I power off with either the power on/off menu, or I sometimes depress the power button for several seconds.

I have found the following sequence to work when charging, with the result being a blinking LED upon full charge.

-  Make sure unit is off before attempting to charge.
-  Plug charger into outlet, then connect USB plug into the unit.  LED should light, and LCD screen should be lit up (white screen).  If the LCD screen is still black, try unplugging the USB plug from the unit, then plug back into the unit.
-  After several hours, the unit should be fully charged and the LED will be blinking.  

If your battery is completely dead, then it will be difficult to determine if your unit is powered on or off.  In that case, just plug your unit in and charge for several hours.  The unit should fully charge, although the LED may not be blinking.  You can then turn the unit on and check the power level ("info" selection under Settings).  If the unit is not fully charged yet, turn the unit off and unplug, then insert the USB plug to resume charging.  LED light should now light up with lit screen.  LED will blink when charging is complete.

Hope this helps.  Mine seems to behave properly when the above sequences are followed.

#6 northgolf

northgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

View PostBrendanH, on May 4 2009, 11:03 PM, said:

View Postnorthgolf, on May 4 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

HTH

Are you sure about this ? I routinely shut mine off by holding the power button until the yes/no option comes up. I select "Yes" to shut it down. I routinely get 2 rounds before I need to recharge. The red charge light on mine usually does not flash when fully charged either.

I picked the hard shut off pattern up from an earlier uPro posting here and it has worked for me.  It may just be superstition on my part or one of the features of the early "black box" models (I have the calloway read box).

I use the defaults as well and finish 18 with it half drained.  I haven't tried playing 36 with it yet.

I really like it, especially when I'm within 100 yards - it has added a new dimension to my pitching.

#7 1t2golf

1t2golf

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6243

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

You may also have a defective battery like I did. If you're shutting down correctly and the battery is still draining or not charging completely, I would contact uPro ASAP to get a replacement unit.
Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi

#8 dwboston

dwboston

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

I have my backlight set at 70% and usually finish up an 18 hole round with >50% of the battery left.  I've been powering it down the normal way but I'll try the alternate method of holding down the power button until it shuts itself off completely to see if that makes any difference.  I did purchase a spare battery and keep it fully charged in the pocket of the uPro case just in case I ever need it.
Titleist 910 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 70S
Titleist 910F 15*, GD AD DI 80S
Titleist 910H 21*, Aldila DVS 90S
712 AP2, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4
SM4 52, TVD-K 56,60 Recoil Proto 125 F4
MannMade Custom TEN12, 34"

#9 weekendwarrior

weekendwarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79447

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts.

- I have the red box???  Is that the good one or bad one?  I have heard both.

- When I power off I hold the button down and then select "yes".  I will try the other way to see if that makes a difference.

- The only setting I have changed from how they were set when sent to me was the Power Save Mode, I disabled it.  I guess that might make a difference?  But I should be able to get in an 18-hole round still right?  At the club I belong at we play under 4 hours all the time, but with the work buddies on the weekends at the public facilities it is 4 1/2 to 5 hours.  And my UPRO I don't think would have made it. But I just thought it (power save mode) was annoying because I walk about 75% of my rounds and by the time I get to my ball its always in the power save mode so its just an extra button you have to go through.

- My backlight is at 70%....I will try and adjust to see if that makes a difference

- I did go into the settings info and it says my battery life is 100% but the light didn't blink.  Which it has done every other time I charged it.  

Any other thoughts?  Has anyone had success with just plugging it in and not needing a manual to charge it, or go through a bunch of steps.  I just thought it would be similar to a cell phone.  Plug it in at night and leave it and its ready to go for tomorrow.

Does the battery have a certain amount of charges that it can handle until it starts to under perform similar to what a cell phone will do?

Thanks!

#10 dwboston

dwboston

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

View Postweekendwarrior, on May 5 2009, 11:37 AM, said:

- The only setting I have changed from how they were set when sent to me was the Power Save Mode, I disabled it. I guess that might make a difference? But I should be able to get in an 18-hole round still right? At the club I belong at we play under 4 hours all the time, but with the work buddies on the weekends at the public facilities it is 4 1/2 to 5 hours. And my UPRO I don't think would have made it. But I just thought it (power save mode) was annoying because I walk about 75% of my rounds and by the time I get to my ball its always in the power save mode so its just an extra button you have to go through.

- My backlight is at 70%....I will try and adjust to see if that makes a difference

- I did go into the settings info and it says my battery life is 100% but the light didn't blink. Which it has done every other time I charged it.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone had success with just plugging it in and not needing a manual to charge it, or go through a bunch of steps. I just thought it would be similar to a cell phone. Plug it in at night and leave it and its ready to go for tomorrow.

Does the battery have a certain amount of charges that it can handle until it starts to under perform similar to what a cell phone will do?

Thanks!

Do not disable the power save mode.  The battery will drain very quickly with it disabled.  With it disabled, the unit will not go into sleep (power save) mode.  Just leave it set to "Normal" - it will go into sleep mode after a couple of minutes and you just have to hit the red button to wake it up.

Titleist 910 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 70S
Titleist 910F 15*, GD AD DI 80S
Titleist 910H 21*, Aldila DVS 90S
712 AP2, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4
SM4 52, TVD-K 56,60 Recoil Proto 125 F4
MannMade Custom TEN12, 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Bob McClain

Bob McClain

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78632

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Red Box; Black Box -- is this like the Good Witch and the Bad Witch?

Ely Callaway built his company on service and their new aquisition UPRO is allowing defective product to be sold?? Does not sound like Callaway Golf!

#12 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Mine was black and no issues here. I have played no more than 18 with mine but I have had no less than 50% of my battery life left. I keep mine at 45%.
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#13 scccgc

scccgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Disabling the power save mode is the reason why your battery is draining so quickly.
You definitely need to turn this back on.

It may seem annoying to have to continue to press the buttons to keep the unit on, but I've learned to live with it.  You will find it may take a second or two for the Upro to re-acquire its position, and settle down to give you an accurate yardage reading.  The Upro service reps recommended that I press the button to "wake up" the unit about 10 yards before I reached my ball.  That give the Upro plenty of time to re-acquire the satellites and provide a yardage measurement by the time I reach my ball.  

I have a Lowepro camera case that clips onto my belt.  It has a magnetic closure at the top which allows me to access my Upro with one hand.  This makes it convenient to take the Upro out as I approach my ball.

I just want to add that I've purchased my Upro back in June of 2008.  I've played over 49 rounds with it, and haven't had any problems (other than initial operator error due to being a new user).  No battery life or other problems.  The features and "fixes" with the firmware update made the Upro even easier to use.  Oh, I do recall having 1 or 2 "lockups" prior to the firmware upgrade that required power on/off of the Upro in the middle of my round.  Haven't had this happen after the firmware upgrade.  I expect that anyone with the "red" box should already have the upgrade loaded onto their unit.

#14 gmangolf

gmangolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45391
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

I love my uPro and it performs great.  I can get at a minimum 2 18 hole rounds on one charge.

That said, I can't figure out the battery indicator when it is charging.  I get the red light when it is charging... but sometimes it starts blinking when the battery is full, and sometimes it doesn't.  Not sure what to make of this.

My biggest complaint to date is that they don't seem to be able to run on my Mac.  Customer service tells me this is a Mac OS issue and they can't fix it, and yet they still claim that the unit works with Macs on their website!  Talk about false advertising!

#15 mkrolewski

mkrolewski

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51362

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

I do not own a uPro, but I looked at the charging diagram.

I believe that the uPro uses a USB cable. Some computers or more correctly some USB ports have low power output and will not charge up device through the USB cable/port/hub. The USB connection can be active eg transferring data AND the voltage can still be low. I ran into this issue with another device. I thought I had 8 hours of charging, and the device indicated some level of charging was happening, but the battery never really got charged.

You might try (1) using only the USB ports directly connected to (embedded in) the desktop or laptop or (2) use a powered USB hub which has a AC cord associated with it and typically a LED light indicating power.

#16 caryk

caryk

Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!!! ;)

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4000
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

View Postscccgc, on May 5 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

I have a Lowepro camera case that clips onto my belt.  It has a magnetic closure at the top which allows me to access my Upro with one hand.  This makes it convenient to take the Upro out as I approach my ball.
Do you happen to know the model of your Lowepro case?  Sounds like it works well for the uPro.

#17 ChiGolf

ChiGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31091

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

View Postgmangolf, on May 6 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

I love my uPro and it performs great.  I can get at a minimum 2 18 hole rounds on one charge.

That said, I can't figure out the battery indicator when it is charging.  I get the red light when it is charging... but sometimes it starts blinking when the battery is full, and sometimes it doesn't.  Not sure what to make of this.

My biggest complaint to date is that they don't seem to be able to run on my Mac.  Customer service tells me this is a Mac OS issue and they can't fix it, and yet they still claim that the unit works with Macs on their website!  Talk about false advertising!

I just picked up a uPro yesterday, and played my first round with it.  I strugged the first few holes, as I didn't set play mode.  

But you may want to send back your unit.  Battery indicator charges just as you said, by blinking when it is complete.  Once I synced up and registered the unit.  I turned it off, and had it plugged into my MAC.  No issues.  So, it sounds like you may have a faulty unit.

#18 gmangolf

gmangolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

View PostChiGolf, on May 7 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

I just picked up a uPro yesterday, and played my first round with it.  I strugged the first few holes, as I didn't set play mode.  

But you may want to send back your unit.  Battery indicator charges just as you said, by blinking when it is complete.  Once I synced up and registered the unit.  I turned it off, and had it plugged into my MAC.  No issues.  So, it sounds like you may have a faulty unit.

Did you charge on the mac?  Or sync?  My mac will charge the unit, but it wont boot it and start the sync software.  The customer service rep said OS 10.5.6 that I'm on wouldn't recognize it... but like 10.4 does.  If yours works on the 10.5... I'll definitely be calling back.

#19 ChiGolf

ChiGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31091

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

View Postgmangolf, on May 7 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

Did you charge on the mac?  Or sync?  My mac will charge the unit, but it wont boot it and start the sync software.  The customer service rep said OS 10.5.6 that I'm on wouldn't recognize it... but like 10.4 does.  If yours works on the 10.5... I'll definitely be calling back.

Sync and charge via MAC.  Give them a call again - if you bought it recently it should still have the 6 month warranty on the product.

#20 gmangolf

gmangolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

View PostChiGolf, on May 7 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

View Postgmangolf, on May 7 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

Sync and charge via MAC.  Give them a call again - if you bought it recently it should still have the 6 month warranty on the product.

So here is the update from uPro.  All Mac versions work properly except for 10.5.6.  When the device is plugged in, the Mac will recognize the device and then use software called spotlight to run a scan on the device to make sure it is "safe".  This is the part where uPro is having a problem.  

Apparently if you leave it plugged in, it will eventually mount on the Mac desktop.  Some say it can take 5-30 minutes, some have had it take a few hours.

It is a known issue with 10.5.6 with many USB devices not just the uPro, but they are hoping it gets fixed in 10.5.7 which is in beta now.

So I'll plug it in and let it sit to see what happens.

Edit.... I tried it and although it took about 30 minutes, the Mac did finally mount it to the desktop. After that, syncing was smooth sailing.  Not ideal for it to take 30+ minutes to mount the thing, but at least it works.

Edited by gmangolf, 08 May 2009 - 12:26 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 scccgc

scccgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

It's a Tasca 20.
The Upro fits into it perfectly.  I got mine at Best Buy.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors