Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

"Senior" golf ball?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 GaryO

GaryO

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68589
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Can any of you guys suggest one of the newer high-tech balls for someone like me who has seen their driver clubhead speed drop into the low eighties? I sure would like to be able to drive it 200 yards again. What say you?
P.S.,
TM R7 Limited 11.5*, M shaft. (M=senior)
Thanks...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Nike Power Distance Soft
Precept Laddie
Callaway Pearl
TopFlite Freak
Wilson ZIP
Wilson 50

#3 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Just about any distance ball from any of the manufacturers will do the job.  All the golf balls now are good, you just need to find the one that works for you, and one that you can afford. :lol:
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#4 A4A4A4

A4A4A4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46021
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

The Bridgestone B330 RX is a great ball for slower swingers who still want some spin and feel around the green.

#5 ALAN5PLOVER

ALAN5PLOVER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81097

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

There's old and there is ancient, which are you? I'm 71 and played my first game yesterday in nearly two years and had no problem with the driver, hitting 200 yards ("The Perfect Driver"), just would have liked some 'more' distance :-). We had an unusually warm day here in Southern Ontario but the course was not really up to snuff with bare patches on the greens. Not all was well, as my pitching and chipping was awful. Had one birdie, on a par-3 hitting a 5-wood to with 6" of the hole.

I, personally, don't think the ball has anything to do with distance - more technique in swinging. I've heard people rave about new balls like the proV1 but they're out of my price range, for starters, and I have no problem with TopFlites.

I think you should concentrate on your swing - before you go looking for any magic bullet (ball).

#6 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

View PostALAN5PLOVER, on Apr 28 2009, 07:26 AM, said:

There's old and there is ancient, which are you? I'm 71 and played my first game yesterday in nearly two years and had no problem with the driver, hitting 200 yards ("The Perfect Driver"), just would have liked some 'more' distance :-). We had an unusually warm day here in Southern Ontario but the course was not really up to snuff with bare patches on the greens. Not all was well, as my pitching and chipping was awful. Had one birdie, on a par-3 hitting a 5-wood to with 6" of the hole.

I, personally, don't think the ball has anything to do with distance - more technique in swinging. I've heard people rave about new balls like the proV1 but they're out of my price range, for starters, and I have no problem with TopFlites.

I think you should concentrate on your swing - before you go looking for any magic bullet (ball).

Ya, something about you old guys (71) year old's anyway, I've been arguing with a friend of mine (he's real old..71 ish) and I'm real young (66 ish)  anywho..I like the new technology balls and he still likes the
TOp ROcks.  I have to admit that the SOB still out drives me..well sometimes. :bb:

I truthfully think that the golf ball is the one big advantage that we older guys have.  You really do need to check of several of the mid to upper price range balls and dial in. :drinks:
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#7 shuttle1

shuttle1

All Clubs: Built by - "Goodsie"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58033

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

Condor "S" ball.

Illegal, but your buddies will never know....

:secret:

#8 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46191

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

+1.

Great ball for seniors, because of its low compression. Not so good for the rest of us.

Now only if there were just an easy a fix for seniors' grumpy attitudes and incessant need to talk to complete strangers all the time LOL....

View PostCameronA, on Apr 27 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

The Bridgestone B330 RX is a great ball for slower swingers who still want some spin and feel around the green.

#9 ALAN5PLOVER

ALAN5PLOVER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81097

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

View PostBankerGolfer, on May 1 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

Now only if there were just an easy a fix for seniors' grumpy attitudes and incessant need to talk to complete strangers all the time LOL....

If you're not a senior, what are you doing here? We talk to strangers because we have outlived our friends.

#10 GaijinGolfer

GaijinGolfer

Makeruna Nippon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60085
  • Ebay ID:Titleistwi
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

You might consider trying a ladies' ball too.  They are designed for swingspeeds in the range you are talking about and until you get up close, they dont look any different than any other golfball, so your buddies probably wont know the difference.
As long as you dont buy a dozen of those hot pink Precept Lady iQ 180s, you should be fine.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Flashman

Flashman

Flashman

• 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57111
  • Ebay ID:flashman12

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Wilson Zip. Low or no compression ball. You can pick them up at TGW for $14.95 a dozen.(2008 model) They feel great off the driver, putter and around the greens.

#12 Debit

Debit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2289
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

Come on, guys. Some of us senior ladies wouldn't be caught using a pink ball either. GaryO, that's about my swing speed and I have found that my 14 handicap doesn't afford me much sense of ball characteristics that makers are touting. Currently playing with Srixon AD333 and TopFlite SoftFeel. These are relatively inexpensive so there is much less tension in the swing as I'm not risking the farm on each shot nor impacting pace of play by searching for $5 in the rough/woods/brambles/nettles. I have used some of the balls recommended above, but they felt too soft. Check the box/display as many manufacturers will recommend a given model based on swing speed vs. location of zipper.

#13 wolfpackblack

wolfpackblack

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71720

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

My grandpa and I were playing a few months ago when he ran out of balls in his bag. I just grabbed a few out of mine, and it just so happened that one of my girlfriend's Callaway Pearls happened to be in the mix. He seriously picked up 15 yards or so on his drives from the balls he'd been playing, and really liked the touch it had around the green. He absolutely loved it, went out and bought a dozen before we made it home. I'd give it a shot if you're open to the idea, it really did wonders for him!

#14 Ben D

Ben D

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

I am now 61 with a 90ish SS and overly fast tempo, and have been playing Callaway Pearls for two years now, particularly in the colder winter months. For me, great spin with the wedges and similar distance to the HX Hot. Another would be the HX Hot Bite that I will be trying this weekend. Old favorites are HX Tour 56, Ben Hogan Tour Deep, and Wilson Staff TX4, which are no longer produced. The WS Zip is also on my to test list. A lot of newer mid priced balls are serious contenders against the $40 plus category.

There is an interesting ball test at uintagolf.com  Out of 63 balls tested using 110, 100, 90, 80, and 70 swing speeds swung by a robot, the Cally Pearl was in the top five in all speed categories. No other ball did that.

#15 photobob

photobob

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48117

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yet one more contender in this group is the Wilson Hope  ball.  Probably the longest of the ones  I've tried, it has a very nice feel and even hold greens well for me.  Available in pink (of course), but also  comes in "clear", which take a little scrutiny to distinguish from any given  white ball.  Stocked up last fall from  Amazon at $10/doz -- they're a bargain to boot.   And Wilson donates a portion from sales to breast cancer research…. :good:

#16 Jenner

Jenner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43069

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Suggest you take a look at the Srixon range of balls - there's definitely one in there that will suit you. Although it's below 90mph, I'm not quite sure what my swing speed is but at 74 I'm well into my senior years and  -  after trying every legal ball available   -  I settled for for the two-piece Srixon AD 333.  It gets my drives out there well over the 200 yard mark, runs out well and I'm also pleased with the flight, accuracy and durability - plus it seems to perform better around the green than any other two-piece I've tried.  

Incidently, it is by far the best-selling two-piece ball in the UK. No mean feat when you see the enormous marketing spends behind Titleist, Callaway etc. etc.

#17 8thehardway

8thehardway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

For pure distance, Callaway's Diablo or Titleist NXT Extreme

For impure distance, ie, some spin on approach shots but still seriously long, Callaway's Pearl.

#18 Joe Duffer

Joe Duffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28570
  • Handicap:3.7

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostALAN5PLOVER, on May 2 2009, 07:10 AM, said:

View PostBankerGolfer, on May 1 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

If you're not a senior, what are you doing here? We talk to strangers because we have outlived our friends.

You two must be a retired comedy team... right?  :cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy:

#19 70sSanO

70sSanO

Let's Go DUCKS!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86972

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

I've never been a long hitter. Now back into the game at 58 I've lost some of what length I had.

First thing I did was go from the SGI irons to Wilson Ci7. Of course irons won't help your driver question.

My twin boys have been wanting me to try the Nike Power Distance Soft balls they have been using. At the same time my wife decided to join me and play some. I'm in Dick's and they have these MC Lady balls selling at 2 dozen for $12.

Well you know what I'm going to say, I was playing with the Nike PD Soft and hit one OB and took a drop and decided to hit one the MC Lady balls. A lot of good reviews from guys.

Hit just as good as the Nike balls, I personally think a little longer, they stop on the greens and they cost $.50 a ball. I bought 10 dozen of them.

I think my manhood will be able to handle it.

John

EDIT:  After much research I have discovered that this ball was a big deal in the early 2000's and having come late to the party I'm sure many already know about it.  However, it is still a great ball and I'm glad I have a closet full of them.

Edited by 70sSanO, 10 September 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#20 Senior_Golfer

Senior_Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99675
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

My choice, Swing speed drops to 81 after 6/7 holes... lowest 75..

Sixron TriSpeed, distance about 230 for me... again swing speed 80 and below. I used to try to swing harder when I felt my swing speed decline, and then I discovered I just needed a ball that I could unlock (compress).. My score went from mid 90's to.. 84, 82, and last round 77.. The difference, for me, is maintaining the same swing for the entire round. "Not" over-swinging just to compress a ball. I feel I will soon be scoring in the low 70's.

One point.. making the same swing is hard to tell the difference in swing speed. I had to see the difference using "trackman".. I would start with a 96 swing speed, and after a number of shots my speed would drop to 81.. with the TriSpeed I could not see much difference in distance and performance.. when I noticed less distance I knew my speed was slowing so like playing a wind shot I would go up a club (slower swing speed my distance would drop 10/15yds).

I am not an expert only sharing my experience. Good Luck

Tee it Up

Edited by Senior_Golfer, 18 June 2010 - 08:29 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

I tried the new lady precept iQ plus last winter when I was looking for a softer ball to play when it's cold out, and found it to be a very good overall ball.
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#22 Senior_Golfer

Senior_Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99675
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

I have gone to using Bridgestone 330RX and 330RXs, both are exceptional balls. When the weather is rough or a lot of leaves that consume the ball I switch to pinnacle exception... it is a good ball, and excellent feel, but I do not achieve the same distance or performance I get with Bridgestone. The Bridgestone e5 is also a good ball. My opinion Brdigestone has taken the leadship in ball performance.

#23 oldyaler

oldyaler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185296
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Wilson Duo, 50 Elite, or C:25.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users