Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 10 votes

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

881 replies to this topic

#871 cma8516

cma8516

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406976
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month? 3-4
How often you practice in a month? probably 4-5 range visits in a month on lunch during the season
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. --- probably around a 7
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 6.4 GHIN
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? --- Mid/Low Irons and Putter

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. Loft 8.25 -- X Flex Speeder 661 Evolution - 45 inch -- dont know swing weight
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I tend to be on the quicker side
3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 7ish on consistency - i think i hit towards center/center toe fairly regularly. Dont miss on heel too much
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? trying to really decide between 2 shafts i have currently or if i should try something different. I am trying to work on my AOA because i know its steep but i have a lot of trouble flattening out so i'm not sure if any other shaft out there might help me.
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!  DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.

averages from recent session with same shaft in different flexes. i removed a few bad misses to try to narrow them down to more normal shots - i dont think im swinging that well right now

PXG 0811X driver

10 shots -- 8.25 LOFT X - weights in draw position (at this point i had hit probably 40-50 balls)
BS 162.2 / SS 108.1 / SPIN 3091 / Smash 1.5 / Carry 262 / Total 286 / Launch 8.9 / Side 1.1 R / AOA -3

8 shots - 8.25 LOFT X -- weight forward for lower spin
BS 161.4 / SS 108.7 / SPIN 2896 / Smash 1.49 / Cary 265 / Total 289 / Launch 9.9 / Side 38.9 R / AOA -2.9

8 shots - 8.25 LOFT STIFF - weight forward for lower spin
BS 159 / SS 107.6 / SPIN 2974 / Smash 1.48 / Cary 261 / Total 283.6 / Launch 11.5 / Side 43.5 R / AOA -2.8

6 shots - 9 LOFT X -- weight forward
BS 158.9 / SS 107 / SPIN 3993 / Smash 1.49 / Cary 251 / Total 264 / Launch 11.3 / Side 10.3 R / AOA -2.5

5 shots - 9 LOFT Stiff - weight forward (first shots of session)
BS 156.3 / SS 105.6 / SPIN 3666 / Smash 1.48 / Cary 249.6 / Total 265.8 / Launch 11.3 / Side 9.5 R / AOA -2.6

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? If i get quick i snap hook it but my normal miss is out to the right.
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? baby draw
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High - Draw
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? mid-atlantic - courses tend to not have a lot of roll so a lot of times my drivers will hit and stop without much roll
11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5'9" about 190lbs - average build i would say - neutral posture
12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Med-Lg glove - dont have any kind of measure around me so -- on a sleeve of pro v's wrist to bottom of longest finger just up to #1 ball in golf on the front lol .... longest finger from bottom of box to right tip of O in golf on side of box
13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? honestly no clue.
14. etc. The more the better it become.

Answer: launch monitor numbers only told me that mostly you need to see your swing Coach to fix your swing plane and attack angle to launch the ball higher and lower the spins. You might need to change to a lower spin shaft... But this is not the main problem. Happy golfing.

Edited by joey3108, 06 March 2018 - 03:08 AM.

WITB -- changes too much to keep up with listing it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#872 twjames

twjames

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433246
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

BB or GP?

#873 ib0o0

ib0o0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426622
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:51 AM

How often you play in a month?
3-4 times / month
How often you practice in a month?
10-12 times / month
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?
9 EGA
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?
Putter

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc )
Ping G SF Tec, 10º set to 9. Shaft Ping Tour 65X. Grip Lamkin crossline oversize.
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Fast tempo, heavy loader.  
3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? Around 8.5.
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up Ultra low spin.
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM?Trackman:
Current driver: https://imageshack.us/i/pnXC5erXp
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up Higher launch, higher spin
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? High slice when I get quick but the driver has nothing to do with it. Those are bad swings.
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Fade or pretty straight shot, mid launch
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade I like to play a fade because it's more controllable. Can work the ball and play a draw if necessary.
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from
Madrid, Spain. Fluffy fairways during winter, very hot, firm fairways on summer.
11. Body build and postures? height? etc.: 5’10”. Athletic. Regular driver posture.
12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Large glove , 3.5" finger , 8" hand , right handed
13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I look a little like JB Holmes, would like to look like Rory. xD

Answer: you might wanna to redo your launch monitor session to get a better more accurate data. I don't think your data are correct imo. Happy golfing!
WITB:
Driver: Ping G SF - Ozik Matrix Black Tie MFS 5 70X
3 Wood: Ping G - Project X Evenflow Black 65 6.5
Irons:  3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 - Nippon Modus 3 120X
Wedges: 52º, 56º, 60º: Taylor Made MG - Nippon Modus 3 120X
Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence TR 388
Ball:   Srixon Z-Star XV

#874 joey3108

joey3108

Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

• Charter Sponsors
  • 7,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:19 AM

Answered!

Check your post for my replied answer. No answer means you don't have enough info for me to help you. Again and Again, I need complete launch monitor data numbers. Please read the first post to to bottom and all the links.

Thx!
Joe

#875 twjames

twjames

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433246

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

Great Rundown!

#876 GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479392
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:roberthd81
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

• Existing Driver Specifications:
    • Titleist 915d2
    • Matrix Xcon6
    • Stiff Flex
    • D6 Swing Weight
    • 45" Play Length

• What type of swinger am I?
    • Not sure how to answer this….I can upload a video if this will help

• On a scale of 1-10, how consistent is my swing?
    • 3-4?   Been out of the sport for a long time.

• What is my striking ability?
    • It’s not as good as it could be…but I’m working to get back to where I was in high school/college

• What is the problem with my existing I also would like a shaft that will let me get the ball launched a little higher.
    [*]Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?
  • No….unless Dick’s counts.  109-110 swing speed.   Average 265 carry.  Average launch angle 13.2°.  
    [*]What am I trying to change or achieve with my new setup?
  • Consistency, distance, accuracy….I WANT IT ALL
    [*]What is my shot tendency and where do I miss the ball?
  • Always towards the toe.  I think it’s just a function of my back swing being way too long (according to facebook…so it’s got to be 100% accurate!)
  • I have a slight slice sometimes too
    [*]Ideal ball flight?
  • I’d like to hit to hit it high, long, and mostly straight.  I don’t need to have a slight fade (I wish) but I’d love to at least defeat some of the slice.
    [*]What type of course conditions do I play?  Where am I located?
  • 99% of the time I play public courses around the greater Lenoir/Hickory area of North Carolina.
    [*]What is my glove size?  What is the length of my wrist to the longest finger and the length of my longest finger.
  • Glove Size: Cadet Large I think?
  • Wrist to Finger: 4”
  • Length of Middle Finger: 3”
    [*]If I have to be honest, who does my swing look like on tour, or who do I want it to look like?
  • I have no idea….don’t have cable, and there’s no golf on Netflix………
    [*]Etc…
  • I like turtles.
[/list]

Updated after hitting on a monitor

Edited by GSRswapandslow, 26 April 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#877 Alto9

Alto9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495506
  • Handicap:0-1
  • Ebay ID:aqgolfer9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

Hi all,

New forum member here and I must say, this might be one of the most informative forums I have ever explored.
My backstory- Played competitive golf from age 10 up to age 22. Played sporadically the last 8 years and really didn't play much at all for the last three.Just recently recommitted myself to the game last fall and after a few trips to the simulators this winter (Western New York resident) I have noticed my clubs are no longer appropriate for my swing. The irons have been fitted but I would like some suggestions and assistance with the driver. Thanks in advance.

1. What is the club existing set up?
Completely stock TM SLDR stock stiff flex shaft set at 10.5

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
Smoothish tempo with heavy lag

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking abilily?
Getting back to being between 8-9

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?
Shaft is wrong flex leading to loss of distance and inconsistency. Shots can be low left smothers all the way to ballooning little cuts

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)?  
swing speed: 109-111
launch angle: 13.5-15.5
ball speed: 160ish
spin rate: 3500-3800
Swing path: Inside to out ~4*
Attack angle: +1.0 ish
side spins : 400-800 rpms

Regain some lost distance as well improve accuracy

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

Pull draws (recently attributed to shaft head combo for my irons) Miss-hits tend to be a little on the toe
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?
Slight push draw

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?
Lowish Draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Western New York, my club plays tight with very small greens but traditional heavily wooded course layout

11. Body build and postures? height? etc.
Approximately 5'8" 155 lbs

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)
No glove but Right handed and length of wrist to finger tip is 7 1/4"

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
Luke Donald

Admittedly, some of the distance loss is from being less flexible with less rotation. Currently working on that issue also via yoga and golf based workouts. Irons were just fitted from DG S300 to Project X 6.5's which decreased my 6 iron dispersion by about 50-60%

#878 TomBomb51

TomBomb51

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360847
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month? We have 4 of 5 months of no course play, so I hit the golf dome every couple weeks during that time, but during the summer months, I play about 5 to 10 times per month

How often you practice in a month? About 20 range/9 hole practice rounds

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. About a 6

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 4.5, GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Mediocre at everything, putting being above average

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. 2016 M2, AD IZ 6s, 10.5 degree, 45.5 length

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Smooth, deliberate tempo

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? About a 6

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Would like to possibly get more distance and get rid of the quick left hook.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!  DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.
I personally own a FlightScope MEVO. I have hit around 300 shots with it and it seems very accurate, especially with the driver. I think other than the driver, it seems to be about 5 yards (carry) on the low side, but driver seems very accurate. Here is my last session with the driver:
Posted Image

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? As you can see, I am a high ball player. That is not just with the driver, that is with all clubs. I also tend to spin the ball a bit higher with the driver. I realize that the new "thing" is to get that launch angle up and spin down, but I cant seem to get the spin down even with lower spin shafts. I have an M3 440 9* in the mail to try and get the spin and launch even lower.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Misses tend to be low on the face. I have the quick hook and the occasion high fade/flair to the right. I previous gamed all X stiff in my woods and hybrids and that essentially eliminates the left side of the course for me, but I was losing distance not being able to load the shafts properly

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? High and straight. starts high and just seems to peak WAY too high

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? I dont really have a choice on flight, I almost physically cant hit a low ball, especially off the tee. I can hit either a draw or fade, I am comfortable with both

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Mostly dry, I live in upstate NY

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. Average to skinny. 5'11", 170 pounds

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Cadet medium large

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I hate my swing so its hard to answer that question, but its efficient. Maybe Kyle Stanley?

With a 106ish clubhead speed, I feel like there is more that I can get. I understand that carry 255ish is pretty good, but with my peak high, spin and launch being so high, I feel like there is room for improvement.

Edited by TomBomb51, 24 March 2018 - 02:21 PM.

2018 Taylormade M3 440 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6s
2017 Taylormade M1 15* - Graphite Design AD DI 7s
2017 Taylormade M1 hybrid 19* - Graphite Design AD DI 95s
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW - S300 AMT Tour White
Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 - KBS 610
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5
Titleist ProV 1x

#879 TheHorse

TheHorse

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480474
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

General Fitting Questionnaire:

How often you play in a month?
Weekly / 4 times a month
How often you practice in a month?
3 nights a week in my basement with a net / r-motion golf + a few range sessions a month
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?
13.0 index GHIN
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?
In general I'm pretty well rounded, but irons are probably my most consistent component of my game

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please.
Taylormade M2 - 10.5 degrees
Matrix Black Tie 70M4 - X-Stiff
D4
44.5"

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
I believe I have a quicker tempo, definitely not what I would characterize as smooth

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability?
I would say around a 6 with a driver, but much more consistent with irons / hybrids

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?
I'm nervous my shaft is a little too stiff and leading to inconsistency.  I've shortened my driver shaft to 44.5".  I naturally hit a draw, but have been trying to play a power fade for consistency and it's helped.  In general I have some work to do on my driver swing, but I want to eliminate the shaft / setup as a major concern.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?
Below is from a VERY abbreviated session on a GC2 at a box store.  Despite the outliers a few of those hits are very representative of my norm which I tried to characterize above the picture.
Path = 4 degrees in-to-out
Swing Speed = 106ish with 44.5" / 111ish with 45.5"
Launch Angle = 14-15 degrees

1) Consistency
2) Distance / Carry
3) Higher flight?

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?
My miss tends to be a pull hook.  I used to block the ball pretty badly, but that has largely been resolved by getting a better hip turn and with grip.  In general I don't have a consistent miss on the face that I know of.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?.
I have been trying to bring my ball flight down with my irons and did so by changing my shafts to Project X 6.0 from an S300 which ballooned on me.  I also have a natural right to left ball flight with nearly all of my clubs.

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?
I have a natural draw when setup square.  With my driver I feel like I am missing out on distance because my flight is too low.  Some of that may be the shaft and some of that may be attack angle.  My plan is to establish a +3/5 AOA and I can get that when I think about it.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?
I live in Colorado and the ground is usually pretty hard as we don't get much rain.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc.
I'm a pretty big strong athletic guy.  6' 3" and weigh about 220 lbs

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)
Between L & XL, 8" / 3.5"

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
I have no idea, but could post a video if you wanted.

Edited by TheHorse, 11 April 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#880 chauchilam

chauchilam

• Spam
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505364
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players
13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH playersoo
good

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#881 JClarkGolf

JClarkGolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453680
  • Ebay ID:tharealjoeclark
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

This is great and just what I needed! Thank you!

#882 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1828

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:56 PM

Didn't want to start another topic just to ask a question but I'm considering ordering a new shaft or 2 to try out and I can't figure out the way to measure my overall driver length.

Please check out the photos attached and tell me the length of my driver.

TIA

DSC01614.JPG

DSC01615.JPG

DSC01616.JPG
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users