Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 9 votes

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

848 replies to this topic

#841 joey3108

joey3108

Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

• Charter Sponsors
  • 7,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

ANSWERED!

Let's start new and fresh questions.

THX!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#842 LeftyTPH

LeftyTPH

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127056
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

How often you play in a month? Once or twice, unfortunately
How often you practice in a month? Rarely
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? I'm about a 4 or 5, when I am on I hit it like a scratch player but I am inconsistent
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 7.2 GHIN
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Driver when not hitting a slice

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? No, i typically play irons 2 degrees upright and +0.50 inches from a rec when I was in HS.
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! CALLAWAY X22 TOUR STEEL IRONS 3-PW. PLUS HALF INCH, 2 DEGREES UPRIGHT. GRIPS ARE BUILT UP W TWO WRAPS. Dynamic Gold S300 shafts.
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine? No I have not
4. What is your existing complain on your current set up? I feel like my irons are whippy and I miss with blocks or cuts to the left ( I am left handed). Also, I hit them way too high.
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I think I would like shafts I can control with my quick tempo and a lower ball flight.
6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade? Lower, draw with my irons.
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? I hit the ball very high
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? Left side miss, also, i tend to hit the ball on average closer to the toe than to the heel. Again, I am left handed.
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? High ball hitter
10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High fade is more comfortable, But i want a lower ball flight and less of a fade
11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day?  5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )? I hit my 5 iron 200-210 yards, mostly all carry.
12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players 34"
13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players 39"
14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) XL; 8 "; 3.5"
15. How tall are you? 6'3"
16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? medium to shallow
17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? Phil Mickelson
18.  Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing? Quick tempo, unsure

Edited by LeftyTPH, 05 May 2017 - 10:38 AM.

Taylormade SLDR 430 12 deg - UST Attas Elements prototype 7s MK
Titliest 910f 17 deg - Tour AD DI 7x
Ping ie1 3 & 4 - Moduis 105x
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
Titleist Vokey - 50, 54, 58
Odyssey 2 Ball F7 Putter with Superstroke SSR2 square grip

#843 markjay1

markjay1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465862
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Hi Joe:  Thanks a million for doing this.  Very generous.

Briefly before the questionnaire:  64-years-old, been playing since I was 13.  I'm happy with my driver (TaylorMade 200 Steel, Lite s-90 shaft) and my wedges (Ping Glide, CFS Wedge shafts) but my irons are old and I can't hit them anymore.  Ping Eye 2 knock-offs (Tour Model II's, Apollo AP-44 shafts, S flex.)  7 iron swing speed = 78-80 mph.  It was measured at a Callaway fitting I had two days ago.  My biggest problem right now is I'm older with a stiffer back and have been hitting a lot of fat shots - something I never did when I was younger.  Have also lost about 10 yards on each iron.  The Callaway guys settled on the Mamiya Recoil 760 ES F3 shaft (68 gs) with Apex heads.  It felt really nice and gave me back my distance but the Apex/Mamiya setup is kind of expensive for me so I'm looking for alternatives.  I appreciate any help.

How often you play in a month? 3-4 times
How often you practice in a month? 8-12 times at the range.  It's a full practice range so I get to work on short game, too.
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.  8-9
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 15.  Not sure the system.  My local course worked it up for me when I started entering tourneys.
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Wedges, putting, driving, in that order.

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft?  Yes.  Everything standard.
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!  Ping Eye 2 knock-offs.  Tour Model II's, Apollo AP-44 shafts, S flex, low kickpoint.
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine?DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.
4. What is your existing complain on your current set up?  Can't hit them consistently anymore.  Lost distance.  Everything goes high right whereas I used to have a very reliable high draw.
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem?  Want to get back lost distance, find more consistency, stop chili-dipping.
6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade?  High draw.
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day?  High draw.
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where?  High right.  When I don't hit it fat I usually it it square.
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter?  High ball.
10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High draw.
11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day?  5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )?  Five years ago 5 iron was 170 yards.  Now it's 160.  Don't know 5 iron SS.  7 iron = 78-80mph.
12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players  31 inches
13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players 33.5 inches
14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Large.  7.9 inches.  3.5 inches
15. How tall are you? 5'11"
16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? Medium
17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? Matt Kuchar.  It's kind of flat.
18.  Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing?  Medium, smooth.  Don't know.

Thank you!

#844 csn99

csn99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 355037
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month?

How often you practice in a month?

Swing Everyday

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?

12.6 The Grint

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?

Irons, Putter

• Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft?

no

2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!

King Cobra II Oversize, Standard Set Up, Shafts IQ System Regular Graphite Shaft

3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers

7 Iron Club Head Speed 83-90

4. What is your existing complain on your current set up?

Distance, Age, Need Stiffer Shaft

5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem?

More Distance

6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade?

Higher, Draw

7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day?

Straight

8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where?

Left Pulled, Don’t have a tendency to miss one side in particular, sweet spot is fine

9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter?

Medium

10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?

Not sure, just try to hit it straight, would like a draw

11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day?  5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )?

5 iron 175 do not know swing speed

12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

28.5 inches

13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

31.5 inches

14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)

Medium Glove, longest finger 3.5

15. How tall are you?

5’6

16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker?

Shallow

17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players?

not sure

18.  Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing?

Medium, no problems loading

I have been playing golf for 2.5 years now, 18 years old, 12.6 handicap.

#845 maowv

maowv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431348
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Has anyone hit the new TT Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue yet?

#846 bervin

bervin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463524
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thank you for doing this.  I hope I have provided you with enough info to generate some good shaft fit suggestions for my swing.  I understand if you come back with a tour spec, $300 shaft, as beggers can’t be choosers, but I would really appreciate some lower price point shaft options if you see a potential fit in the lower price range.

How often you play in a month? 2-4 times
How often you practice in a month? 2-4 times (additional to the 2-4 rounds)
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. (7.5)
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 3, no system – just know I average around 75, breaking par some and shooting 80 every now and then, as well
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Driver

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* set to 9.5* with a 45” playing length Grafalloy BiMatrix Tour Prototype X flex.  
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Smooth tempo with an average to heavier load
3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 8.5 with driver, this is the strength of my game and I am quite consistent
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? I am hitting this club where I aim it, and actually driving it very well.  The issue is that it is far too high of a ball flight with what I imagine to be too much spin.  I am still driving the ball 300+ consistently, but at time I will fly it 290-300 and have no roll out at all because of the launch angle and spin rate (again, assuming on the spin rate).  Ideally, I would like a slightly lighter shaft from a feel perspective and one that can really handle high SS when I go after it.  I swing around 110-112, but up around 120 when I go after it once or twice around on my home course.
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!  DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA. NO
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I am hoping to achieve similar feel, but a slightly lighter shaft that delivers lower launch angles and spin rates.  I prefer a flashier shaft (current BiMatrix is pink, a la Bubba Watson).  Also want a shaft that fights against misses to the left side of the course.
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? I miss on the face occasionally, but no real consistent area of the face – I am pretty consistent at finding the center of the clubface with a driver in hand.  My typical miss is a huge block out to the right (right handed player), or a draw that gets out of control and goes way left with a hook spin.
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Natural ball flight is pretty high with a slight draw.  Prefer to work the ball R-L, but play L-R shots a few times per round as well.
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High Draw
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Northwest Florida – Hot, sunny and hugely humid environments with lots of Bermuda grass.
11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 6’0, 210 lbs.  Slightly flatter swing plane than should be in an ideal world.  Pretty athletic posture, but tend to get slightly hunched over when I get lazy
12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) ML glove size. 7 ½” wrist to longest finger, 3 ¼” longest finger
13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
14. etc. The more the better it become Being honest, my swing is most similar to Zach Johnson. Prefer it to be more like Dustin Johnson but hey, we can’t always get what we want.
Ping G LS Tec 9* - HZRDUS Black 65 6.0 tipped 1" @ 44.5"
Callaway X2Hot 2Deep 12.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0 tipped 1/2" @ 42.5"
Nickent 3dx 20* - Proforce V2 Hybrid 85s
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21* - Aldila NV 85x
Mizuno MP4 (5-PW) - DG x100s + 1/2"
Callaway X Series (forged) - 50* & 56*
Callaway MD PM Grind - 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

#847 daryllwin

daryllwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470334
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:daryllwin
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

How often you play in a month? 8-10 rounds during summer
How often you practice in a month? 8-10
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? 7
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 14 USGA
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Iron

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) RocketBallz,9.5 but adjusted to lowest setting, Stiff flex, Standard length and swing weight
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Quick and heavy
3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? Currently trying to incorporate a swing change to combat slice. Still about 7 with the swing. Decent swing speed with an average of 275yards on the launch monitor
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Launch too high
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) Not with the current driver
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Lower the ball flight to increase distance
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Slice
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?Straight
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High, Fade
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Currently in Minneapolis, so decently hard ground
11. Body build and postures? height? etc. About 5ft8in, average build.
12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) 23
13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
14. etc. The more the better it become.
Rocketballz 9.5 Matrix Ozik XCON-5 Graphite Stiff with a crack about an inch long on the sole parallel to the face
PRGR TRX-505 3 and 5 wood with stock shafts
Miura Small Blades, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
54/10 SM5, 56 Perry Gear, 60/04 SM4
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No.3

#848 Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy

Go CUBS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140787
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hello Joe!.
Looking at new irons, Cobra F7 One's and I am a little unsure of shaft.
How often you play in a month? 4-6
How often you practice in a month? 15
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. 8
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 12, self calculated but have not updated in a while
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Wedge

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? Yes, I play +1/2 and 1 deg. upright, stock loft
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! B'stone J40 DPC, PX 6.0 flighted, soft stepped once
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine?DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.
4. What is your existing complain on your current set up? Can feel board'y at times, moving to new irons and same shaft not offered.
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? New irons do not have this shaft option
6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade? Height is fine, but looking for more of a draw, new clubs will have more offset
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? High with a slight fade
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? To the right, sweet spot to heel
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? High ball hitter
10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High, fade
11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day?  5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )? 180ish, 86 mph
12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players 30 in,
13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players 35in
14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Large/XL depending on make, 4.5in, 3.5in
15. How tall are you? 6'2"
16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? Shallow
17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? Harris English
18.  Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing? Smooth, medium tempo, tend to load more on tradition.

Edited by Mr. Grumpy, 22 June 2017 - 11:52 AM.

Bridgestone  J40 DPC 5-PW
Titleist 913 D3
Adams Super S 3 wood
Callaway XR $H & $H
SeeMore Si5

#849 nickmt

nickmt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133270
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

Joe,

Random question on shaft/head combo with regards to a neg attack angle for the driver.  I currently use a 10.5 M2 with a Rogue black 70tx.  My spin is normally always above 2800 and I'm done trying to adjust my swing to hit up/level with my driver.  I feel good about my overall game, but some tweaks with my driver is something I'm interested in doing.   I've read with some pros (sergio) that have neg AoA they counter that with a lower than normal launch.

Now obviously I'm not sergio but what would be your advice? -  would I be better off trying a lower lofted head, or lower launching shaft, or both.  My current launch is around 12-13 degrees and I would like to get that down under 10.  I would like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors