Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 8 votes

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

797 replies to this topic

#721 BenR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member #: 243321
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

1. What is the club existing set up? Callaway Diablo Octane 10.5*, Neutral face, Aldila 85-X Shaft, Mid-Sized Grip, Cut down 1"
2. What type of swinger are you I have a steep swing which results in hitting down on the ball slightly and lots of spin. I hit my current setup WAY too high.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? I would say it's a 7. I hit the ball in the middle of the club. The misses are high/low on the face.
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? 90% of my misses are snap hooks.
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Yes. This was last summer with a Callaway Razr Fit Driver, 8.5', 1' Open, and what was supposed to be (According to the fitter) a very low spinning shaft. 176 MPH Ball Speed, 13.5' Launch Angle, 2800 RPM Spin

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Way less spin to minimize my misses and keep the wind factor to a minimum.
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? I start the downswing with my chest which results it coming way over the top and hitting a big huge fat cut.
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? With my driver its the smallest of draws. Maybe 3 or 4 feet. It's
9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit The shape I hit is very pleasing to my eye I just wish I didn't hit it so high into the air. I need a much more penetrating flight.
10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? My home course is long and narrow, with tree lined fairways. Tightly mown fairways and small greens. The fairways usually run out pretty nicely.
Body build and postures? height? etc. 6'1", 275 lbs. Fairly decent posture. I probably need to be a bit more upright. I played baseball in college and I'm quite athletic.
12. What is your glove size? No idea but I play a midsized grip due to my familiarity with a baseball bat in my hands.

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? No clue.
14. etc. The more the better it become.

My local course had the Taylormade guys doing a demo day today and I hit the R1 just for giggles. I mainly wanted to try some shafts. I don't really like the look or sound of Taylormade stuff but oh well. With a 9.5* face set on Neutral and a UST Mamiya VTS Proforce 7x shaft I really had a nice ballflight. It was far more penetrating than my current setup. I also saw my mises minimized quite a bit. The TaylorMade guy said it was one of the lowest spinning shafts that they had. The wind was blowing pretty good out on the range today and I hit about 30 balls with my current setup before hitting the R1 and the wind had much less affect on my ball with the new setup.

I really liked the shaft but I didn't like the look/sound/feel of the R1. Are there any other shafts comparable to what I tried that you guys would recommend?

Answer: I need more detail LM info. Ball speed tell s me that you will need a X or XX flex.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#722 HoldemHoye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member #: 23946
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for all of the help.  Here are my details

General questionnaire (A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month? 5 10 times
How often you practice in a month? 2-4 times
How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best ? 8.5/10
What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?  8.5 index (standard USGA)
What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge?