Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

3 Wood easier to hit then a driver.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mizuno8

mizuno8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79106
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Hi All,

I don't know if this belongs in this section or not. My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've been watching Golf on TV lately and noticed that when the tour players want more control they put away the driver and bring out the 3wood.

Is a 3 wood easier to hit then a driver? Can you shape a shot better with a 3wood? Or are you generally more accurate with a 3wood?

What is the difference in technology that would make the tour players bring out a 3 wood for more control?
Does this apply to the majority of players?

Whats the general theory?

Thanks.

Edited by mizuno8, 22 April 2009 - 10:57 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Maximums

Maximums

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72876
  • Ebay ID:maximum30
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Shorter, more loft, less side spin, Without a doubt easier to control!

#3 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

looks like im in the minority.  teed up, i feel much more comfortable and hit my driver straighter and obviously further than my 3 wood.

#4 loomsey

loomsey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75844
  • Ebay ID:loomsey2001

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

View Postkekoa, on Apr 22 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

looks like im in the minority.  teed up, i feel much more comfortable and hit my driver straighter and obviously further than my 3 wood.

+1 for me....way more confident and comfortable with my driver

#5 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

Still haven't found a 3 wood as consistant as my driver or that makes me want to take the 16* hybrid out of the bag, and trust me its not like I haven't  tried loads of 3 woods!. The search goes on

#6 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 616

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

the 3 wood is definetly straighter and easier to control than a driver

I've never had a day where my 3wd was spraying all over the place and my driver was solid, but I've had plenty where the driver was all over the place but the 3wd could still find fairways

some golfers may have trouble making solid contact with a 3wd compared to a driver since the face is smaller, but if you can't make solid contact with a 3wd, then you probably can't make solid contact with a 5 iron either......

#7 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

3 wood is stupid easy to hit compared to driver.  As a matter of fact my 3 wood is 90% as long as my driver so I really don't hit driver that often, especially at away courses.  I'd rather be in the fairway 175 yards out than in the trees 150 yards out.  The head on my Titleist 3 wood is really small but I have confidence setting up to the ball that I am going to make great contact.  With the driver I have much less confidence that my shot is going to find the fairway or even go remotely straight, no matter how much I practice with it.

#8 sdiver68

sdiver68

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57470
  • Ebay ID:sdiver23

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

Maybe it's because 1/3rd of the balls I hit at the range are my driver, but I'm much more comfortable and accurate with a driver in my hand.  i'll hit a driver or hybrid off the deck often before hitting a 3 wd I feel that strongly about it.

Yes, I know 1/3rd is too many according to most...I'm 1/3rd scoring irons...1/3rd long and hybrids...1/3rd driver.  I've heard it said that driving well controls how high you will shoot and short game how low you can shoot, right now I'm concentrating on GIR.

Edited by sdiver68, 23 April 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#9 Jonesy72

Jonesy72

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50078
  • Ebay ID:brentbbt
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

I think the main reason the pros play their 3-woods over their drivers on certain holes is for shot-shaping capability.  The drivers these days are difficult to work both ways.  Personally, (and I'm no pro) if I have to hit a hard draw I'm definitely hitting a 3 wood because my driver either goes straight or left to right.  

Also, 3-woods are harder to hit off line.

#10 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

View PostJonesy72, on Apr 23 2009, 08:55 AM, said:

I think the main reason the pros play their 3-woods over their drivers on certain holes is for shot-shaping capability.  The drivers these days are difficult to work both ways.  Personally, (and I'm no pro) if I have to hit a hard draw I'm definitely hitting a 3 wood because my driver either goes straight or left to right.

I feel the same.  I can turn my driver over some days, but consistently if I want to hit a draw I reach for the 3w.  Same goes if I wanna find a fairway...that or my 5w.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Double True

Double True

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74115

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

View Postharold baines, on Apr 22 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

the 3 wood is definetly straighter and easier to control than a driver

I've never had a day where my 3wd was spraying all over the place and my driver was solid, but I've had plenty where the driver was all over the place but the 3wd could still find fairways

some golfers may have trouble making solid contact with a 3wd compared to a driver since the face is smaller, but if you can't make solid contact with a 3wd, then you probably can't make solid contact with a 5 iron either......

+1 on that. I used to never carry a driver because I could hit my 3 wood 240+ My personal belief is that if you are a 24 handicap you probably shouldn't be carrying the big stick because I'm almost positive that 9/10 times your 3 or 5 wood would go almost as far if not further than your drive, plus you add accuracy. But we, as mostly men on this site, have to have that macho factor and don't want to out done so we grab the driver, knowing what lurks behind that awkward swing.

That's what I'm trying to help one of my friends with, course management. If you can leave yourself 150 yards out any other club other than your driver, assuming your a 20+ handicap, leave it in the bag. I guarantee you will hit more GIR and lower your scores.

#12 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

I hit 35-40% fairways with a driver and 65-70% with a 13* 3W. I should use it more often than I do. So, definitely easier to hit. I set the club up to be easier to move R to L so when I want a little draw, that's the club. Driver I only hit cuts with.

#13 b81smith

b81smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58801
  • Ebay ID:b81smith

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

1) With todays big drivers, it's harder the shape the ball and thus the tour players usually go to 3 wood if they need to draw the ball, since most all guys on tour like to cut the driver to pervent rolling through fairways

2) 3 woods are shorter and have more loft - more loft yeilds more backspin, more backspin means less side spin and thus a better chance of not hitting a wild tee shot, but the driver is far more forgiving than a 3 wood today and thus mishits will go farther on driver.

Tour pros can lace 3 woods within 15-20 yards of a driver and thus only be two clubs back from a well struck driver
Amatures cannot usually do this and are just better off using whatever they can hit straight enough to keep ball in play.  Thus if a tour pro can hit a driver 305, he can usually tee a 3 wood up and crack it 285-290 and that isn't a short tee shot.  But most amatures will hit driver 250 and 3 wood is 215 and thus too far back to compete.  But slower swingers would benefit from more loft and maybe even hit their 3 wood farther than their driver due to correct launch conditions.

#14 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

View Postb81smith, on Apr 23 2009, 09:34 AM, said:

1) With todays big drivers, it's harder the shape the ball and thus the tour players usually go to 3 wood if they need to draw the ball, since most all guys on tour like to cut the driver to pervent rolling through fairways

2) 3 woods are shorter and have more loft - more loft yeilds more backspin, more backspin means less side spin and thus a better chance of not hitting a wild tee shot, but the driver is far more forgiving than a 3 wood today and thus mishits will go farther on driver.

Tour pros can lace 3 woods within 15-20 yards of a driver and thus only be two clubs back from a well struck driver
Amatures cannot usually do this and are just better off using whatever they can hit straight enough to keep ball in play.  Thus if a tour pro can hit a driver 305, he can usually tee a 3 wood up and crack it 285-290 and that isn't a short tee shot.  But most amatures will hit driver 250 and 3 wood is 215 and thus too far back to compete.  But slower swingers would benefit from more loft and maybe even hit their 3 wood farther than their driver due to correct launch conditions.

Good points but I think it's more like slower swing speed players benefit from the driver. My SS is only about 2mph. slower with my 3w and it's 15yds. shy of my driver, if that. The margin of error with driver is a lot greater. On the other hand my regualr playing partner is only around 90, if that, swingspeed. He hits a ton of fairways, rarely misses, with his driver. 3W is pointless for him as it's under 200 off the tee. He uses it for par 3's only for the most part.

#15 sigmapete1

sigmapete1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32468
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

If you look purely at my Fairway's Hit Percentage, my 3w and Driver are about the same, but if you look at the misses, the Driver misses are often further offline (a product of hitting it further).  So for me, hitting 3w takes away the big miss.  A good swing will end up in the FW for either club but the trouble on the hole dictates whether I can live with a miss.  

Sometimes, Driver is safer though.  If there is a FW bunker 245 from the tee, then I know my driver takes it out of play but its right in the landing area for my 3w.  Smart doesn't always mean keeping the driver in the bag.

#16 69 another time

69 another time

just do it

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76309

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

3 wood for many reasons are better for the average guy. They are a bit shorter than the driver but I think they can be built to compete very close to a driver in distance, Mfg`s dont want the 3 wood to compete because the people wont pay the price for the 3 wood like they do for the driver. Now if you have a driver with 15 degrees with shorter shaft and different weighting in it insted of the weighting for slow swing speeds, now you can have a killer driver. My 3 wood misses are much better than a driver.

I have a Callaywy Hawkeye 2 wood that I thinking of bringing back to life with a newer/better shaft, that I used to kill, plus I rarely miss a fairway with it and it`s a whole lot easier to hit with the smaller head.

#17 benelliboy

benelliboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80728
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

The 3 wood is much more Controlable!  I love the big stick.  But when I have to put it in the fairway.  I pull out the 3 wood.  My 3 wood is twenty yards shorter than my driver.  I call my 3 wood CRUSHARAMA! (cool)

#18 TM golf guy

TM golf guy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2827
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

The 3 wood is far more accurate for me than the driver. I rarely miss fairways with it. Definitely the go to club on a tighter hole.

#19 kylemacca01

kylemacca01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52920
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

3 wood should definitely be easier to control as the shaft is considerably shorter and you have more loft. That being said, a lot of people find the big headed modern driver easier to hit as poor strikes wont be as harshly punished and many have more confidence looking down at a large head rather than a small 3 wood head.

#20 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 724

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

IMO if you are a good ball striker and can hit the sweetspot of the 3wood consistently then you have much more control. However with the 460 cc modern drivers the sweetspot is so much bigger.  If you are properly fitted with the correct loft, shaft and aren't trying to use a 46" shaft I find that a driver is not really much harder to hit, in fact until recently I would say I had more confidence off the tee with the driver than the 3 wood.  If I wanted to hit more of a controlled shot I would just tee the ball a little lower, choke down and hit a little driver-stinger.  

The problem I always had with the 3 wood is that most of the modern shallow faced ones were easy to pop up or if you hit them a little on the toe you would lose big distance.  I recently switched to a deeper faced 3 wood and I hit it much better off the tee, but dont get it up in the air as easy off the fairway.  It is a trade off you have to accept one way or the other depending on what your priorities are.  

IMO the beginning golfer should consider a higher lofted driver with 10.5 to 15 degrees with a 44" shaft and they would have the best of both worlds, and probably hit thier average drive farther.  That big 460 head can inspire confidence when looking down at it.  So IMO before drivers became so big I would have agreed, but with the modern tech I am not so sure I do agree unless you are a pretty long hitter.  The average hitter who hits it below 250 in many cases MAY find that using a properly fitted modern driver is almost as accurate, more forgiving and will give more confidence.  

YMMV

Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

It's strange really. I first played golf in the time when the first Big Berthas came out. Today's drivers are very fogiving, compared to that. Yet, when I absolutely have to hit a fairway, I still prefer 3wood or 5wood. It must be the greater loft and the shorter shafts that still make them easier to hit.
I would like to try a club with the following specs: 400cc to 460cc head, 12 to 13 loft without closed face or offset, 75g shaft, 43" long. Should be the best of both worlds.
I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

#22 nahtanoj

nahtanoj

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49079

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

Last year I switched from a 10.5* Nike Sasquatch with a high launch shaft to a 13* Nike SQ Sumo with a medium launch shaft.  Although my playing partners love to make fun of me for using it I find I'm hitting it farther with less dispersion.  Both drivers are 44.5" in length.

Now with this 13* driver I'm finding its way easier to hit than my 15* v steel off the tee.  I'm wondering if I even need a 3 wood anymore.  I'm debating on getting a larger headed 3 wood, like the sq sumo2 or the 2008 big bertha to help improve results from mishit tee shots.  Or maybe drop the 3 and 5 woods and get a 4 wood instead.

I hit the driver ~240yards and my 3 wood ~220 off the tee.

#23 Range-Rat

Range-Rat

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57928
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I am way more confident with my driver than my three wood, I even hit it off the deck more often than my 3 wood on the par 5s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors