Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Manganese Bronze Feel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spo1971

spo1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4118
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

What is it about that Ping manganese bronze that makes it feel so good?!!  I have been putting with a Cameron Newport Beach and IBBF for the last 4 years, and after switching back to an old trusty Ping My Day a few weeks back my putting has come alive again.  It is in large part, me thinks, to the feel of that material.  Anyone out there prefer the feel of the manganese to stainless or even carbon steel?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 projohnny3672

projohnny3672

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31210

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

I have played with two putters for the past 22 years, a ping MyDay and an anser. I have tried Scotty's and I have a nice bunch of TP Mills in storage but when it comes to playing, I'm old school ping.

#3 d55124

d55124

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43061

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

I just received one of the new Ping 50th Anniversary Ansers - manganese bronze with the back insert - very soft feeling with a much muted sound compared to an "old school" Anser.  I can recommend these to anyone - especially for the $100 or so price.

Doesn't quite have the feel of my TP Mills SS, but nevertheless I like it and will put it into play.

#4 TexasTee

TexasTee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73405
  • Ebay ID:2tcreative
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

I agree about the old-school Pings.  But my favorites are the BeNi (nickel) Scottsdale and Anser 2.  Right behind that is the Anser 2 Pat Pend version.  All of these feel every bit as good as my Cameron AOP GB Newport and my TP Mills 1310 Tradition II XL (in fact, I just sold mine!).

I think the original Ping Anser/Anser 2 styles are every bit as good as the more current milled versions that are out there.  The only thing that seems to hurt them today is the lust for heavier putters.  I frankly think the heavier putters (350+ gm) hurt most players in the area of touch.  Most of the older ping heads were in the 330gm or less area and most seem to be 35" or more.

If you putt with an arc stroke these older versions are sweet!

Edited by TexasTee, 22 April 2009 - 07:45 AM.

#5 spo1971

spo1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4118

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

View PostTexasTee, on Apr 22 2009, 05:44 AM, said:

I agree about the old-school Pings.  But my favorites are the BeNi (nickel) Scottsdale and Anser 2.  Right behind that is the Anser 2 Pat Pend version.  All of these feel every bit as good as my Cameron AOP GB Newport and my TP Mills 1310 Tradition II XL (in fact, I just sold mine!).

I think the original Ping Anser/Anser 2 styles are every bit as good as the more current milled versions that are out there.  The only thing that seems to hurt them today is the lust for heavier putters.  I frankly think the heavier putters (350+ gm) hurt most players in the area of touch.  Most of the older ping heads were in the 330gm or less area and most seem to be 35" or more.

If you putt with an arc stroke these older versions are sweet!

I am starting to realize that the weight issue as it relates to feel is what has come back after my switch to the My Day.  My Camerons were 330g and 340g, not "heavy" by today's standards, but compared to the 300 grams of the My Day certainly a tad bit heavier.  I just think the lighter head helps me grip the putter more lightly, enhancing the feel for the head.  Ben Crenshaw mentions in his great putting dvd that he grips the putter so that the head feels very heavy, but that the actual headweight is not heavy.  I just wonder how many grams that famous Gentle Ben blade is?  I'll bet you it is south of 330 grams, the "standard" of our modern times....

#6 Joe Duffer

Joe Duffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28570
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

"I am starting to realize that the weight issue as it relates to feel is what has come back after my switch to the My Day.  My Camerons were 330g and 340g, not "heavy" by today's standards, but compared to the 300 grams of the My Day certainly a tad bit heavier.  I just think the lighter head helps me grip the putter more lightly, enhancing the feel for the head.  Ben Crenshaw mentions in his great putting dvd that he grips the putter so that the head feels very heavy, but that the actual headweight is not heavy. I just wonder how many grams that famous Gentle Ben blade is? I'll bet you it is south of 330 grams, the "standard" of our modern times..."

The headweight on "Little Ben" is 312 grams

#7 CVGolfer

CVGolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2453

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Finally succumbed to all the hoopla of "needing" an expensive milled putter after years of playing nothing but Ping Ansers. A friend of mine has a TP Mills Tradition but I had to be different and bought a SC Studio Select Newport. No other reason to go with a Cameron than it wasn't a TP Mills. Please, please, please, I am not trying to stir up another thread about why this CNC putter is better than that CNC putter, they are all good to me.

But what I have found is that I have lost my lag putting touch due to the heavier head weights of today. It's almost like trying to roll a pea with a sledgehammer, no feel. I have tried and tried (all of this season) to get my Cameron to work for me but finally went back to my Anser Ti pixel out of frustration. You guessed it, my touch came back immediately.

Really like the looks of a CNC putter, anyone's CNC putter, but they simply are too heavy for my stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors