Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's the proper length for golf shorts? Pleats or flat front?

165 replies to this topic

Poll: Proper length for golf shorts. (961 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the proper length for golf shorts? What's the current fashion trend?

1. Ends above the kneecap. (410 votes [40.76%])

Percentage of vote: 40.76%

2. Ends right at the middle of the kneecap. (478 votes [47.51%])

Percentage of vote: 47.51%

3. Ends below the kneecap. (118 votes [11.73%])

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

Should shorts have a single pleat or a flat front?

1. Single pleat (210 votes [21.58%])

Percentage of vote: 21.58%

2. Flat front (763 votes [78.42%])

Percentage of vote: 78.42%

Vote

#61 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

Callaway makes a single pleat short. I kno because I accidentally bought a pair last year when I meant to get a flat front.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 TheHusky

TheHusky

South Paw Swagger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96618
  • Ebay ID:Thehusky508
GolfWRX Likes : -1

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

haha, great topic. First off I'm going to be honest I'm 25 and I religiously believe in wearing pants. Almost all of my nike pants are very thin and in cold weather I have a great pair of POLO golf black pants with skull and crossed clubs as bones cordoury which are warm. I'm prob. use to heat as I own an exhaust shop and weld and use torches in 96 degree weather with no AC so I sweat in the summer daily.  If I rock shorts they are usually cargo and always below the knee.  Age appropriate I think always plays a factor but also whatever you like and feel comfortable in is the most important.

#63 msn2310

msn2310

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51894
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

I hate wearing shorts when playing golf but some days in the summer require me to do so, I still sweat like crazy in them but not as bad as if I were wearing pants. With that said, I always try and wear pants whenever possible. Shorts and golf shoes just dont mix well with me, I think its the dumbest look ever, to me its like wearing a pair of dress shoes with shorts. I have great shoes too, numerous pairs and they still look dumb with shorts. Just my oppinion though.

I think it just depends on your body type, if you rail thin then wear longer flat front shorts. If you are shorter and a little stocky, go with a single pleat just above the knee. If you are just huge, like 275-300lbs 5'7" huge then go with pleats just at or just above the knee.

Side story about pleats, I am not rail thin but fairly fit (6'2" 185lbs 32 waist) and I recently started a new job and bought a few new suits, two with pleats, one flat front pants. I wore the pleated pants suits the first few days of work, then switched over to the flat front and went to a meeting on the third day with all the people I met just two days earlier, every single one of them thought I loss at least 10lbs. So for me, apparently pleats make me look 10 lbs heavier... I found that interesting as I never even considered it before?

#64 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:10 AM

Man you "fashion gurus" and holier than thou types would love me. I wear pleats on almost everything I own, with the exception of my jeans (which I dont wear to the course) and my cargo shorts (which I DO wear to the course). my cargo shorts are always clean and wrinkle free, and my collared shirt is always tucked into them. They are held in place neatly with a belt, and the length is consistent with everyone else who is too snobby for cargo shorts. Personally, as long as the course lets me out in them, anyone else can stuff it. I wear what is comfortable.

As for pleats or no pleats, I'm sure I could probably go to a tailor and spend out the wazoo to have some flat front shorts and pants made that would fit, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a pair of shorts to play golf in. Golf is not a profession for me, it is something I do because I enjoy it. I'm not going to spend a paycheck on clothes just so someone else will think I look good on the course. Being that I have big legs, when I find off the rack pants or shorts without pleats, once I get them in a size big enough to fit over my legs, they are several inches too large for my waist. Hence the reason I buy pleats. Most of my slacks have pleats and the hidden elastic waist (with the exception of my suit, which was custom tailored and I honestly dont know if the pants are pleated or not). I have 2 pairs of golf shorts that are not cargo shorts, and both have pleats. The rest are cargo shorts, and they are what gets the most mileage on the course.

Edited by bigred90gt, 18 December 2009 - 08:17 AM.

#65 lask

lask

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 931

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

Here is one of the timeless stories about shorts: Augusta national member wearing shorts at the club and is talking to Clifford Roberts, the chairmen. Mr. Roberts asked him what he was doing today. His response was "playing golf." Mr. Roberts response being the dictator he was "where"

#66 Sid Vicious

Sid Vicious

Not long, but nicely off-line...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100617
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

I don't get the resistance to cargo shorts.  I suppose if you were wearing some hideous, three sizes too big, purple camouflage things then OK, I see your point, but I wear cargos all the time though, since I have things to carry round.  In this day and age you have cell phones, keys, wallets, and who knows what else to keep track of, so you need extra pockets.  This isn't the sixties where everyone used pay phones and when you went to the GC on the subway and you were totally incommunicado for 4-5 hours once you go there, so get over the cargo pants thing already.  Hell, I just turned 50 and I love my cargos.  Just about the only type of shorts I buy.  Only time I wear slacks is when I a) play somewhere with a dress-code, or b) the weather sucks.  And if the weather sucks bad enough, I'll just sit around the house watching the Golf Channel, while wearing my cargo shorts.  

Oh yeah, and single pleated shorts or slacks are just fine too.  A good fitting pair of pleats is lots more comfortable for the nether regions on a 95 degree day.  Screw the fashionistas...let them get heat rash if they want to. :)

Edited by glenntwo, 24 December 2009 - 02:20 AM.

#67 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I fail to see the need for the cavernous pocketed cargo shorts unless you are hunting rhino in Africa and need to carry extra ammo for your .375 H+H.   :rolleyes:   Why not put the cell phone, keys, Twinkies, whatever in your golf bag?  

Better still, leave the cell phone locked in the car where it should be while you play.  Doctors and other on-call EMS personnel excepted.
Cobra Bio Cell 9.5*, PJX R
Ping I20 15*, stock R
Cobra R. Fowler Proto 56*, #1 of 1600
TM Spyder Daddy Long Legs
Ping Eye 2 4-pw, ZZ Lite, Green Dot
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#68 Sid Vicious

Sid Vicious

Not long, but nicely off-line...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100617

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

View Postrgk5, on Dec 24 2009, 08:42 AM, said:

I fail to see the need for the cavernous pocketed cargo shorts unless you are hunting rhino in Africa and need to carry extra ammo for your .375 H+H.   :rolleyes:   Why not put the cell phone, keys, Twinkies, whatever in your golf bag?  

Better still, leave the cell phone locked in the car where it should be while you play.  Doctors and other on-call EMS personnel excepted.

Ever had your clubs stolen?  All it takes is a quick trip to the head, come back out and bye-bye clubs, phone, keys, money clip, etc.

I never leave that stuff in my bag at the course.

Cel phone I use as a golf GPS, so it does me no good in the car.

Edited by glenntwo, 24 December 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#69 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

Never had that happen in 45 years of playing.  Our groups always keep a man on guard duty or the bag goes straight into the car after.

Tie a Doberman to your bag!   :good:

Edited by rgk5, 25 December 2009 - 10:27 AM.

Cobra Bio Cell 9.5*, PJX R
Ping I20 15*, stock R
Cobra R. Fowler Proto 56*, #1 of 1600
TM Spyder Daddy Long Legs
Ping Eye 2 4-pw, ZZ Lite, Green Dot
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#70 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

View Postrgk5, on Dec 25 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

Never had that happen in 45 years of playing.  Our groups always keep a man on guard duty or the bag goes straight into the car after.

Or, instead of turning one of your golf buddies into your personal dog, just wear cargo shorts/pants and move on with life. So long as the owners/management of the course I am playing has no problem with whatever I am wearing, I'm good with it. I have only been to 1 course that would not allow cargo shorts, and they also would not allow mock turtle neck shirts. I had to buy a $70 polo shirt (the cheapest one they had) in the pro-shop because I was wearing a mock neck shirt.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Wow, the more I read on this site, the more I really, really like living in the SW.

We wear shorts year round down here except when we get the occasional blast from the Alaska pipeline. Even at the local resort/tourist trap tracks. At the high-end, no cargo shorts, jean shorts (jeans period), collared shirt required, etc..

The 5 munis are pretty much anything goes: jeans, t-shirts, whatever. Gotta have sandals or shoes, and no rips/tears in the clothing. Did see a couple of 'gentlemen' with their pants around their crotches get asked to leave, but that's the exception.

My shorts end just above the knee, no pleats. But that's just me. Only a utter moron, or really fair skinned, wears long pants down here when it's 105...
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#72 Kyle_Bourgeois

Kyle_Bourgeois

Parasailin' with Sarah Palin

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96806
  • Ebay ID:KyleB1711

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

I live on the East Coast of Canada, and during the summer I wear shorts golfing regardless the temperature. As far as length goes, I have shorts that range from maybe a cm above the knee, to about an inch or 2 below. Although, I do wear golf pants between September and December when golfing.. thats right, I golf right through to December...  Canadians don't fear the cold, the cold fears us...

#73 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

View Postbigred90gt, on Dec 28 2009, 07:52 AM, said:

View Postrgk5, on Dec 25 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

Or, instead of turning one of your golf buddies into your personal dog, just wear cargo shorts/pants and move on with life. So long as the owners/management of the course I am playing has no problem with whatever I am wearing, I'm good with it. I have only been to 1 course that would not allow cargo shorts, and they also would not allow mock turtle neck shirts. I had to buy a $70 polo shirt (the cheapest one they had) in the pro-shop because I was wearing a mock neck shirt.
LOL!!  I had to laugh at that and let you know what happened to me very similar.  I was playing a private course near DC and had asked the member who invited me if a mock T was OK.  He said he didn't see any problem with it.  But just to be sure, I took a regular polo with me.   Sure enough I'm putting on the green and the Asst Pro comes out and tells me mocks are not allowed.   I said, I'm very sorry, I had checked but guess I got bad info, I've got a polo in the car, but let me see what you have inside.  I thought I can always use another souvenir.

So I'm looking through the racks in the pro shop and guess what, they have a mock tee for sale.  I kind of hold it up to the same pro and ask very nicely but with a little bit of sarcasm "So what's the deal with this?"   He said "A lot of our members like Mocks but they can't wear them here, so they just buy them to wear elsewhere"   I just found it kind of Ironic.  They ended up not having anything I liked in my size, so I wore the extra one I had brought.   I apologized to my member friend if it had embarrass him.  He laughed it off and had a few choice words for the Asst Pro, saying the Mock I had on was nicer, cleaner and in much better shape than some of the polos he had seen members where around there.

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2, 04 January 2010 - 02:46 PM.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#74 tomeboy

tomeboy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50853

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

View Postrgk5, on Dec 24 2009, 08:42 AM, said:

I fail to see the need for the cavernous pocketed cargo shorts unless you are hunting rhino in Africa and need to carry extra ammo for your .375 H+H. :rolleyes: Why not put the cell phone, keys, Twinkies, whatever in your golf bag?

I think that was hilarious  lol hahaha. But, I do wear cargo's I just like how they are more roomy then non cargo shorts. I put everything in my bag I just keep extra balls in the cargo pockets.

#75 Zooko23

Zooko23

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100992
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

I wear flat fronts most of the time no shorter than the middle of the knee, although I do own some pants with pleats. With that said if im doing a lesson and have to wear pants. Under Armour pants are great. And im in Southern AZ not exactly cook down here in the summer

Edited by Zooko23, 04 January 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#76 Mizuno57

Mizuno57

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50963

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

View Postaussieb, on Apr 15 2009, 06:21 AM, said:

Now I see why my wife says most golfers look alike and are a bunch of tools.  Shorts are supposed to be 1-2" above the knee.  Pleats are not in fashion at the moment, flat fronts are in regardless of the size of your belly!  The flat front is designed to slim your lines.  Find a pair that are made well and fit correctly.  I have a 32" waist and still wear pairs with a hidden elastic band for comfort when they need to flex.  Don't wear horizontal stipes or hideous patterns, they make you look worse.  Look for clothes that accentuate your better features i.e. a pattern only up near your shoulders or a unique color collar will draw the eye away from your paunch.  
Get the proper measurements for your body fit (just like you should for clubs) and buy accordingly.  A measuring tape is about a buck and if you had paid attention in home economics you'd know how clothing is supposed to be made/alterred.  Avoid poor quality materials, the new stuff out there is superior in every manner.  I'd rather have two or three sets/outfits of clothes I spent a little on to go to the course in that look amazing, than a whole closet full of crap that makes me look like the typical country club golfer.

So, the next time that I wear shorts on the course, I'll make sure to carry a ruler to measure the inseam.

DUMB!

#77 RICKYBOBBY

RICKYBOBBY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106521
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

View PostRedman, on Dec 8 2009, 08:18 PM, said:

View Post3onpar5, on Jul 1 2009, 06:25 PM, said:

I think the people that are saying "no pleats" are thinking like the old days of 3-4 pleats on each side of the button.  All my golf shorts are single pleat very clean looking.  And to the gentleman that said shorts are supposed to be 1-2 inches ABOVE the knee?  Are you kidding?  I am 37 not trying to be a kid and i think that shorts should AT LEAST come to the knee.

What brands of shorts do you wear that have single pleats?  I have a hard time finding good shorts with only single pleats?  Thanks.

NIKE shorts have the flat front and the single pleats now.  Its actually not even a pleat just a "gather" at the top of the belt line.  I will try and take a picture of the ones I have.

#78 RICKYBOBBY

RICKYBOBBY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106521
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

DSCN0678.JPG
DSCN0685.JPG

My "horrible" pleated shorts.  lol

#79 doof_dizzler

doof_dizzler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97137

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

I have absolutely no idea! I've got more than 20 years to go til I wear shorts on the course. IMHO, shorts are for under 18s (juniors), over 50s (seniors), and ladies.

#80 ode1

ode1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Above the knee (although not a big deal) and flat front for sure.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 441

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:18 AM

Because of a gross abnormality my shorts must cover at least 2 inches above the knee.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Honestly though, I prefer 2 - 4 inches above the knee.  I have both flat and pleated shorts.

#82 onlyhogans

onlyhogans

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76836

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

View PostTM golf guy 182, on 14 April 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

Please don't wear pleats and short shorts.

I agree 100%

#83 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

Whats wrong with pleats?

#84 onlyhogans

onlyhogans

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76836

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

View PostGuia, on 22 January 2010 - 12:54 AM, said:

Whats wrong with pleats?

I only like pleats in certain pairs of pants that I have, pleats in shorts to me is just kind of wrong.

#85 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Okay.

#86 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10896
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Really no cargos?  Callaway, Under Armour, Oakley, Antigua, Nike, Izod, Adidas,... all make cargo shorts for golf.  I understand cut-off army fatigues probably aren't the right thing to wear.  Golf fashion is evolving (devolving depending on your age and tastes probably).  Even Mr. Style in Golf Digest has endorsed cargo shorts on the golf course (you can always use an extra pocket).  We don't wear shirts and ties to play golf anymore, so by someone's standards we will always be underdressed on the course.  If you look respectable I have no problem with you wearing cargo shorts and a Tiger mock-T.  Rule of thumb always know what is acceptable for the course you are playing and make sure you abide by it.  You never want to embarrass yourself or your host.

#87 Golf-Junkie

Golf-Junkie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103779
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

Asleep - nice one.  I was thinking more like this...  

Posted Image

#88 skizix

skizix

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39098
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

View PostHarboursideTC, on 15 April 2009 - 08:49 PM, said:

However, I would prefer the NO SHORTS option...

What I don't think most folks are realizing is that compared to SHORTS, the NO SHORTS option actually keeps you coolest of all in hot weather. Posted Image

#89 Bogeyman82

Bogeyman82

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32253

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

I say shorts at mid kneecap with or without pleats.  

Personally I buy pants and shorts with pleats.  I understand that flat front is 'fashionable' right now, however I don't think it works for big guys.  I am 6'1" 250 lbs with a 38 inch waist, so I am a big guy who is carrying some extra weight but I am not obese by any means.  Flat front doesn't work for me, just like pleats don't really work for little guys.

#90 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

It's near impossible for me to find non cargo shorts that are long enough.... need a 11.5 or 12" length. I guess I have long femurs. Luckily my club allows the cargo ones.... just have to look good, not the ones with strings all over and the bulging pockets you can fit a 6 pack in.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors