Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's the proper length for golf shorts? Pleats or flat front?

165 replies to this topic

Poll: Proper length for golf shorts. (961 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the proper length for golf shorts? What's the current fashion trend?

1. Ends above the kneecap. (410 votes [40.76%])

Percentage of vote: 40.76%

2. Ends right at the middle of the kneecap. (478 votes [47.51%])

Percentage of vote: 47.51%

3. Ends below the kneecap. (118 votes [11.73%])

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

Should shorts have a single pleat or a flat front?

1. Single pleat (210 votes [21.58%])

Percentage of vote: 21.58%

2. Flat front (763 votes [78.42%])

Percentage of vote: 78.42%

Vote

#31 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

View Postmuzz, on Apr 15 2009, 08:15 PM, said:

I always find it amazing that most folks on here think they are the Fashion Gods, and state " No Pleats" !!!
Like they are the be all.....please..........
Take a look on tour, there are PLENTY of guys on tour that still wear pleats, and they don't look like bums....

It's almost as if one guy stated that pleats were a virus, and everyone just fell in line....the "Sheep" mentality is amazing.
MOST of my pants and shorts are flat front, when I want to look like Corky I put on the pleated variety...... :rolleyes:

Seriously.  I have some great pants with pleats.  People who think there are "rules" to fashion other than looking good seem to be the worst dressed.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Ruleschamp

Ruleschamp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68618
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

Hilarious.  The guy proclaiming "NO SHORTS" lives in, of all places, one of the northern most points in the United States.

Yeah, try those nice long wool pants during the middle of a July day in Texas, South Florida, or the desert areas of California and Arizona, and you'll be the best dressed guy in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital after you've dehydrated.  LOL

#33 muzz

muzz

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77742
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

View PostRuleschamp, on Apr 16 2009, 03:25 AM, said:

Hilarious. The guy proclaiming "NO SHORTS" lives in, of all places, one of the northern most points in the United States.

Yeah, try those nice long wool pants during the middle of a July day in Texas, South Florida, or the desert areas of California and Arizona, and you'll be the best dressed guy in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital after you've dehydrated. LOL

LMAO

Anybody got a 2-can hat with Tubes, I know it'll make me look like Randy Quaid, but it gets a little hot down here.......at least I won't be wearing shorts!!

#34 Bomb500Plus!

Bomb500Plus!

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7194
  • Ebay ID:dannyob1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

View PostMizzyMan, on Apr 13 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

And NO pants or shorts should have pleats!! PERIOD!

Funny story.

Picked up my suit at the drycleaners one time and an older gentlemen in front of me was holding a pair of jeans in dry cleaning plastic.  My first thought was of The Office when Ryan said "Who dry cleans jeans?"  But that wasn't the best part.  He was visibly upset.  When the girl came to greet him, he took them out of the plastic and made a giant fuss about how these were men's pants and that the dry cleaner didn't know what they were doing.  Turns out that all men's pants in his mind need creases down the front.  Seriously...jeans with creases?  So the young lady had a funny smirk on her face, took them to the ironing board, and proceeded to put creases in his jeans while he waited.  Weird.

#35 ivansie

ivansie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75978

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

View Postaussieb, on Apr 15 2009, 08:21 AM, said:

Now I see why my wife says most golfers look alike and are a bunch of tools.  Shorts are supposed to be 1-2" above the knee.  Pleats are not in fashion at the moment, flat fronts are in regardless of the size of your belly!  The flat front is designed to slim your lines.  Find a pair that are made well and fit correctly.  I have a 32" waist and still wear pairs with a hidden elastic band for comfort when they need to flex.  Don't wear horizontal stipes or hideous patterns, they make you look worse.  Look for clothes that accentuate your better features i.e. a pattern only up near your shoulders or a unique color collar will draw the eye away from your paunch.  
Get the proper measurements for your body fit (just like you should for clubs) and buy accordingly.  A measuring tape is about a buck and if you had paid attention in home economics you'd know how clothing is supposed to be made/alterred.  Avoid poor quality materials, the new stuff out there is superior in every manner.  I'd rather have two or three sets/outfits of clothes I spent a little on to go to the course in that look amazing, than a whole closet full of crap that makes me look like the typical country club golfer.
Amen to that

#36 BugsyinNC

BugsyinNC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73450

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

What not to wear ...... capri pants (down to mid calf) on a mid-30's tool at Pinehurst. I did a double take, looked directly at him and laughed out loud.

#37 NEVA3PUTT

NEVA3PUTT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23886
  • Ebay ID:neva3putt

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

CREASES IN YOUR JEANS IS OL SKOOL :D

#38 iKhanh

iKhanh

failure is not an option

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53732
  • Ebay ID:ikhanh

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

View PostAsleep, on Apr 13 2009, 07:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

LMAO!!!!

shorts or pants definitely FLAT FRONT. Pleats if absolutely neccesary (guy with badonkadunk aka 'bubble butt') but for normal non big booty guys, flat front.

#39 mantismike

mantismike

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14141

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

I think that here in Florida, in the summer shorts are ok. I am a teaching pro and run summer camps all day all summer. If i didn't wear shorts I would die in the heat. What I don't like are the Cuttoff shorts or cargo shorts that some of the kids in my camps wear on the first day ( I have them wear more app shorts the rest of the week).

#40 stevestrike

stevestrike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28481
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

I'm too lazy to post them, but you can do a google image search for Sean O'Hair, and see him wearing both flat front and pleated pants.  There is no right answer to this question.  Buy clothes that look nice and fit you well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 theironhorse

theironhorse

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69277
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

an internet message board is definitely the place to go for fashion advice my friend.  i don't get all the "rules" golfers tend to come up with.  as long as you don't look like a slob, and pleats do NOT make you so, be comfortable and enjoy the round.  i realize flat fronts are in right now, but they are NOT made for middle aged men with 38 inch waists and beer bellies.  if everyone could wear them and look good, so be it.  last thing i want is for the crotch of my pants to bunch up and have the pockets flare out because i am trying to be "in" with flat front shorts when my body type does NOT make it possible.

#42 bear

bear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75509
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Who cares?  I am only careful with what I wear depending on the course and time of year.

#43 Ghost_Orchid

Ghost_Orchid

Golf Junkie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37491
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Skinny thighs and no butt...flat front is for you.  Flat fronts for me, I wouldnt be able to fit my hands in my pockets.  I dont like fitted clothes anyway.  Dress shorts fits to my knees, casual shorts (plaids, cargos) about 1-2" below knee.

Whatever floats your boat.

#44 GaHack1

GaHack1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43854
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

And my favorite from our northern brothers... knee high black socks with shorts and white golf shoes... we can spot them a mile away.  Also gym socks are for the gym...

#45 stephenmatthia

stephenmatthia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73879

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

Shorts should NEVER be more than an inch or at most 2 above your knee.  I don't care about your age or body type or any of those things.  I'm 21 so most people my age wear the shorts just below the knee which is fine.  I personally like shorts right at the knee or about a half inch above.  I personally think right at the knee is the safest and best option for all ages.

Now for the pleats vs. no pleats....With my colorful cotton shorts I go flat front.  BUT if I am wearing golf shorts that are khaki or black, I think the pleats look really really good on them.  JMHO.

BTW, american eagle makes flat front shorts in really nice colors that wont look tight or bunchy even on huskier men.  I'm 6'5" 230, not really a belly but still just BIG and they don't look bunchy on me.  people equate flat front shorts with small thigh holes, not so.

#46 bullitt5561

bullitt5561

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77465
  • Ebay ID:bullitt5561

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

if you are fat....PLEATS if not FLAT FRONT
if you are fat....NO WHITE BELTS if not WHITE BELT

#47 RICKYBOBBY

RICKYBOBBY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106521

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I think the people that are saying "no pleats" are thinking like the old days of 3-4 pleats on each side of the button.  All my golf shorts are single pleat very clean looking.  And to the gentleman that said shorts are supposed to be 1-2 inches ABOVE the knee?  Are you kidding?  I am 37 not trying to be a kid and i think that shorts should AT LEAST come to the knee.

#48 Walkin36

Walkin36

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122104
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

I have several pair of shorts that have a single pleat and wear them all the time. I also have some flat front golf shorts, but I personally don't like them as much. I wear all my shorts to the middle of the knee as well.

#49 stephenmatthia

stephenmatthia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73879

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

View Post3onpar5, on Jul 1 2009, 04:25 PM, said:

I think the people that are saying "no pleats" are thinking like the old days of 3-4 pleats on each side of the button.  All my golf shorts are single pleat very clean looking.  And to the gentleman that said shorts are supposed to be 1-2 inches ABOVE the knee?  Are you kidding?  I am 37 not trying to be a kid and i think that shorts should AT LEAST come to the knee.

Actually, what I said is that shorts should NEVER go more than 1 inch or 2 AT THE MOST above the knee regardless of age.  

I also said that 1 or 2 inches below the knee is fine as well.

Then, I said that right at the knee is in my opinion the best option for everyone......

I'm not sure how you read my post and got that I was suggesting that shorts are SUPPOSED to be 1-2 inches above the knee.  Try actually reading what people write.  And no, I am not kidding you.

I totally agree with you on the pleats.  A nice pair of golf shorts has one pleat down the middle of the front thigh and looks really good.  It kind of dresses up your golf shorts just a little bit.

#50 RICKYBOBBY

RICKYBOBBY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106521

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

stephen, sorry completly read your post too fast.  i do that sometimes.  Sorry.  Now calm down  lol.  I actually agree with you about the length.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 Desert Golf

Desert Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25707
  • Handicap:10.2
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

View PostHarboursideTC, on Apr 13 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

Shorts should not be allowed in the first place.

I live and play golf in the Palm Springs area and people rarely wear anything but shorts (even in the winter time).  It would be pretty comical to see a guy playing in pants when it is 114F.  Check out our weather forecast, I believe we are the hottest in the nation this weekend.  By the way, I played yesterday at noon and yes....I wore shorts.  They were non-pleated and came down to the middle of my kneecap.

Edited by Desert Golf, 12 July 2009 - 08:46 AM.

Titliest 913D2 Diamana Blue S+
Titleist 904f Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX
Mizuno MX25
Odyssey Black Tour #5

#52 DH48

DH48

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58986
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

View PostDesert Golf, on Jul 12 2009, 09:25 AM, said:

View PostHarboursideTC, on Apr 13 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

Shorts should not be allowed in the first place.

I live and play golf in the Palm Springs area and people rarely wear anything but shorts (even in the winter time).  It would be pretty comical to see a guy playing in pants when it is 114F.  Check out our weather forecast, I believe we are the hottest in the nation this weekend.  By the way, I played yesterday at noon and yes....I wore shorts.  They were non-pleated and came down to the middle of my kneecap.

Actually when I've played in Arizona in the summer I wear my Underarmour  long pants.  They breath well enough and having the sun not beat down on your legs actually make you feel cooler.

I grew up working summers on my cousin's ranch in west Texas and everyone wore long sleeve shirts that were lightweight to keep the sun off you, it's something a lot of folks don't realize but it works.

DH

#53 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20859
  • Ebay ID:ckneasel

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

middle of knee or just below, and definitely a flat front...

pleats are horrid...

#54 liwanra

liwanra

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58092

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

No pleats and length to be right at my knees....unfortunately I stand 5'5 and all shorts now looks like im wearing capri pants.....

#55 TwoFours

TwoFours

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24415

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

i would say on the golf course right above the knee.   this being because if you have shorts below your knees on the course you have to tug them up to kneel down and read a putt.  if theyre right above the knee you never have to do that

#56 phsgolfguy

phsgolfguy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5481
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

IMO, shorts should NEVER be longer than 9" inseam. and always flat front. always.

#57 corky

corky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

View Postmuzz, on Apr 16 2009, 12:15 AM, said:

I always find it amazing that most folks on here think they are the Fashion Gods, and state " No Pleats" !!!
Like they are the be all.....please..........
Take a look on tour, there are PLENTY of guys on tour that still wear pleats, and they don't look like bums....

It's almost as if one guy stated that pleats were a virus, and everyone just fell in line....the "Sheep" mentality is amazing.
MOST of my pants and shorts are flat front, when I want to look like Corky I put on the pleated variety...... :rolleyes:

Hey..... there's no need for that!

#58 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

Cant remember when I last wore trousers on a course, pre2004 when I was back in New Zealand playing in the cold. We have a rough old course here, its hot and humid most of the time and decent cargo shorts are the norm. They are practical as well, with space for your wallet, cellphone(on silent of course), etc. We play with local caddies who are good guys, but in a developing economy its a good idea not to tempt anyone with phone (help themselves to credit) or a fat wallet, car keys etc.

Flat front, from any where just above the knee, to just under is fine

#59 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

View PostHarboursideTC, on Apr 15 2009, 08:49 PM, said:

...I really do not think that shorts should be banned from the course...

Then why in the world did you say "...shorts should not be allowed in the first place?"

Edited by mrhills0146, 08 December 2009 - 08:03 AM.

Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  TEE CB2, Motore F1
3i - PW:  Mizuno MP52, S300
SW:  Ping ISI S2 BeCu
LW:  OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Cleveland Almost Belly

#60 Redman

Redman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122710
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

View Post3onpar5, on Jul 1 2009, 06:25 PM, said:

What brands of shorts do you wear that have single pleats?  I have a hard time finding good shorts with only single pleats?  Thanks.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors