Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's the proper length for golf shorts? Pleats or flat front?

165 replies to this topic

Poll: Proper length for golf shorts. (961 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the proper length for golf shorts? What's the current fashion trend?

1. Ends above the kneecap. (410 votes [40.76%])

Percentage of vote: 40.76%

2. Ends right at the middle of the kneecap. (478 votes [47.51%])

Percentage of vote: 47.51%

3. Ends below the kneecap. (118 votes [11.73%])

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

Should shorts have a single pleat or a flat front?

1. Single pleat (210 votes [21.58%])

Percentage of vote: 21.58%

2. Flat front (763 votes [78.42%])

Percentage of vote: 78.42%

Vote

#1 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46191
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Should the length end above the kneecap, right at the middle of the kneecap, or below the kneecap?

Should shorts have pleats or a flat front?

Thanks.

Edited by BankerGolfer, 13 April 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MizzyMan

MizzyMan

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62891
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Just above the knee.

And NO pants or shorts should have pleats!! PERIOD!

#3 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#4 cahal

cahal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51843
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

right at the knee cap, the days of shorts above the knee are waaaaayy over as far as current styling and trends.

I also agree, no pleats on shorts although we do still some pleating on pants but that is becoming more and more rare as well.

#5 fatmouse

fatmouse

AAAAAAAAAAARGH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35909
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Probably would depend on your age. If you're younger, flat front at or just below the knee is what's generally in style, at least here in california. Older gents could get away with pleats and all that and it won't look bad at all. Just don't go too far above that knee, that doesn't really ever look good.

or just wear whats comfortable because no one really pays attention to what you're wearing on the golf course anyway

#6 Ruleschamp

Ruleschamp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68618
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Depends on your age, the course you're playing, and the purpose of your play. Shorts you might wear to the local muni may be completely out of place at a high-end resort course.   Things that may be great for a high school kid may be completely out of place for an adult in some situations.

Are you playing golf with your boss? Your company's CEO or BOD? An important client? All of those things may matter. In fact, at my company we use it as one of our evaluation points when narrowing down the field of candidates we recruit from undergrad and grad schools into our training programs.

#7 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Right at the knee..but once you let them slide down a bit..enough to show your boxers..then they come down to your calf. :D   Flat front of course.
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#8 cohenfive

cohenfive

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42103
  • Ebay ID:cohenfive
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

i prefer pleats since i have a fat butt...

#9 HarboursideTC

HarboursideTC

Harbourside

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23318
  • Ebay ID:golfclubTC

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Shorts should not be allowed in the first place.  If you must wear them, they should pleated or flat front, 1" or less above the top of the knee cap.  Please iron them and absolutely no cargo shorts or cut off cammies.  Definitely not below the knee, unless you are also wearing your golf hat on sideways/backwards and wearing a basketball jersey over your polo shirt.  

That is too much to ask -> lets leave it at no shorts, no jeans, no military garb and absolutely no flannel.

#10 BankerGolfer

BankerGolfer

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46191

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

These are some good answers. Please keep them (and the votes) coming.

With the exception of the post with the pic of the guy with the short shorts. Excuse me, as I must go and throw up now....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

View PostBankerGolfer, on Apr 13 2009, 09:23 PM, said:

These are some good answers. Please keep them (and the votes) coming.

With the exception of the post with the pic of the guy with the short shorts. Excuse me, as I must go and throw up now....

I've heard that the short shorts look is coming back in style. :wave:
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#12 birdiegirl11

birdiegirl11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23809

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostHarboursideTC, on Apr 13 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

Shorts should not be allowed in the first place.  If you must wear them, they should pleated or flat front, 1" or less above the top of the knee cap.

Wow... I guess I have been heavily indoctrinated into the SoCal lifestyle, but I do think that golfers should be well-dressed, think and that can include shorts. I'm right with you on the cargos and cutoffs. Slightly below the knee is fashionable and for some knees, preferable, IMO :p.

Personally, I think shorts that don't reach the top of the kneecap are too short. Bend over to put your tee in the ground, and you might be showing off some gems that the rest of us would rather not see.

Also, I'd like to add that there is more than one kind of iron that has a place in your pre-round routine. Wrinkles are not in. Ever.  (This should probably go into the pet peeves thread....)

Edited by birdiegirl11, 13 April 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#13 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70369
  • Ebay ID:goswo
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:22 AM

Shorts ... what about shirts.

Someone needs to tell Phil that if we see the "farmer's tan" the sleeve's too short!
Titleist 913D3 8.5* Fuel proto 65X                 Titleist 913Fd 15* Fuel 70X                 Titleist 712U 2 DG S-300                 Crazy ltd MB 3-PW DG Pro S-300                 Vokey Forged 52* & TVD BV 58* DGTI                 Newport TeI3 sole stamp                 WITB Link

#14 redhawkgolf

redhawkgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41843
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I only care about being comfotable. Banning shorts is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. It gets hot where I play. Call me anything you want, but I were jean shorts above the knee and collared golf shorts.

#15 nateobot

nateobot

boognish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25283

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Jorts

#16 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

I've found 10" inseam works best for me, that brings it just below the top of my knee.  You have to consider how high they will hike up when you sit down.    As for pleats!!!   They're shorts not a pair of drapes :)
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#17 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 616

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

do a google image search for John Stockton and you'll see what appropriate shorts are

#18 DH48

DH48

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58986
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Some of us have to have pleats.  Without pleats it is almost impossible to get pants or shorts that fit becaue of the shape and size of my butt.  I've literally had flat front pant that when buttoned were too loose for my waist but I could barely zip them because of my butt.

#19 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

I wear right to the top of the knee cap, flat front and only polyester. I don't need swamp ace and wrinkles in my round.

#20 TM golf guy

TM golf guy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2827
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Please don't wear pleats and short shorts.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 2left

2left

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72606

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostDH48, on Apr 14 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

Some of us have to have pleats. Without pleats it is almost impossible to get pants or shorts that fit becaue of the shape and size of my butt. I've literally had flat front pant that when buttoned were too loose for my waist but I could barely zip them because of my butt.

+1. We all have to deal with the realities of our bodies. Otherwise, too many men will end up looking like the overweight mom in the supermarket checkout line who looks like she's torturing her jeans in a manner that would have been forbidden at Guantanamo Bay. Of course, she'd reply, "but these are the jeans that Paris Hilton wears."

#22 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

Being fashionable, step 1:

look good.

Will a poll make clothes fit your body?

#23 Schilly

Schilly

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62464

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

PLeats are in the front butts are in the rear. IT might take more effort but you can find flat front shorts that will fit. Pleats just make people look bigger than they are.

#24 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

View PostSchilly, on Apr 15 2009, 03:06 AM, said:

PLeats are in the front butts are in the rear. IT might take more effort but you can find flat front shorts that will fit. Pleats just make people look bigger than they are.

Actually, the opposite.  You're thinking of pants that don't fit.

#25 aussieb

aussieb

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75233
  • Ebay ID:bertrangb
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

Now I see why my wife says most golfers look alike and are a bunch of tools.  Shorts are supposed to be 1-2" above the knee.  Pleats are not in fashion at the moment, flat fronts are in regardless of the size of your belly!  The flat front is designed to slim your lines.  Find a pair that are made well and fit correctly.  I have a 32" waist and still wear pairs with a hidden elastic band for comfort when they need to flex.  Don't wear horizontal stipes or hideous patterns, they make you look worse.  Look for clothes that accentuate your better features i.e. a pattern only up near your shoulders or a unique color collar will draw the eye away from your paunch.  
Get the proper measurements for your body fit (just like you should for clubs) and buy accordingly.  A measuring tape is about a buck and if you had paid attention in home economics you'd know how clothing is supposed to be made/alterred.  Avoid poor quality materials, the new stuff out there is superior in every manner.  I'd rather have two or three sets/outfits of clothes I spent a little on to go to the course in that look amazing, than a whole closet full of crap that makes me look like the typical country club golfer.

#26 msuggs

msuggs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78846

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

No shorts? What do you suggest when it's 110 heat index? Stay home? Yeah I will play in any condition cold or hot. Thus, I will wear shorts in the summer.

Also, there's nothing like the sound of your ball bouncing off a frozen water hazzard, but I'm wearing jeans at that point since my course allows it. They're just happy to have paying customers inthis economy which shouldn't be forgotten in all of this.

#27 skinny99

skinny99

Skinny99

• 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29610
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

The guys that say no shorts are unrealistic! It will be 95* with 95% humidity here in Florida next month,thats why the pro's don't play here in the summertime. Go to Isleworth and watch Tiger practise all summer,see what he will be wearing. Shorts need to come at least to your knee's,no pleats and please iron them. If your a big guy(I am) light colored shorts and dark shirts look the best,still no pleats though.Chaps makes some nice shorts in bigger sizes. IMO Todd

#28 muzz

muzz

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77742
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

I always find it amazing that most folks on here think they are the Fashion Gods, and state " No Pleats" !!!
Like they are the be all.....please..........
Take a look on tour, there are PLENTY of guys on tour that still wear pleats, and they don't look like bums....

It's almost as if one guy stated that pleats were a virus, and everyone just fell in line....the "Sheep" mentality is amazing.
MOST of my pants and shorts are flat front, when I want to look like Corky I put on the pleated variety...... :rolleyes:

#29 PGATourdreamin

PGATourdreamin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40197
  • Ebay ID:123teeoff

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

View PostBankerGolfer, on Apr 13 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

Should the length end above the kneecap, right at the middle of the kneecap, or below the kneecap?

Should shorts have pleats or a flat front?

Thanks.

Think Richard Simmons. Running shorts with triple pleats to finish the look off. Very classy.

#30 HarboursideTC

HarboursideTC

Harbourside

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23318
  • Ebay ID:golfclubTC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well, I think I was the first one to say NO SHORTS, but I was just trying to make a point that some fashion sense is necessary.  I really do not think that shorts should be banned from the course. I am actually okay with pros wearing shorts too.  I sometimes (but rarely) wear them myself when it gets really hot (flat fronts, always freshly ironed). Too many bugs here in Michigan, so the long pants actually help in case I have to go into the high grass or woods (to look for my playing partners balls of course).

However, I would prefer the NO SHORTS option to the "cut off cammies and grunge band tee-shirts that I see so often on course.  It is not a fashion thing.  It just seems that people that are dressed down are also not the most well mannered folks that I have run into.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors