Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf fans yelling "Get in the Hole"

66 replies to this topic

Poll: Fans Yelling "Get in the Hole" (275 member(s) have cast votes)

Lets see how the WRX community feels on this subject

1. Removed immediately from the course (169 votes [57.48%])

Percentage of vote: 57.48%

2. Warning only (44 votes [14.97%])

Percentage of vote: 14.97%

3. Only if after a putt (26 votes [8.84%])

Percentage of vote: 8.84%

4. I do it so I can hear myself when I watch the replay at home (7 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

5. Never (25 votes [8.50%])

Percentage of vote: 8.50%

6. Anytime the fan chooses to yell it out (23 votes [7.82%])

Percentage of vote: 7.82%

Should the host Tournament be allowed to govern the policy

1. Yes (238 votes [86.23%])

Percentage of vote: 86.23%

2. No (38 votes [13.77%])

Percentage of vote: 13.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bayway

bayway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28329
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

After hearing this "Get in the Hole" yelled out so many times this weekend, I just wanted to see how the WRX community felt. I feel each tournament should have as their option whether this should be allowed. If the FBR would like to continue this tradition that should be their choice, it seems to fit....... but at the same time if Augusta or any other tour stop choose to put an end to this endless phrase, that should be their option.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dougcankles

dougcankles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59521

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

There should be no restrictions. Once you have them in place, slippery slope.

#3 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

You have too much time on your hands to make this poll...

It's fun.. big deal.  So what if it's an over-used cliche.

It's golf!!

#4 etsix

etsix

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22617
  • Ebay ID:erich3635

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

should not be allowed at the Masters, its way to prestigious for that crap. Even Faldo heard it on 16 and said "Oh no, not at Augusta!!"

#5 dougcankles

dougcankles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

View Postetsix, on Apr 13 2009, 03:23 PM, said:

should not be allowed at the Masters, its way to prestigious for that crap. Even Faldo heard it on 16 and said "Oh no, not at Augusta!!"

Just because Faldo says it doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. Don't put so much weight on what media says. Think for yourself.

#6 thefuture37

thefuture37

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12552

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

should not be tolerated at places like augusta.

#7 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1266

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Your ticket gives you the privelege to enter the course and watch the tournament.  The hosts have the right to toss you if you're obnoxious.  I was hoping that Augusta would be the one place with the balls to throw those idiots out.  

You make a good point with the FBR.  They want to have a party.  So be it.  But if another stop wants you to behave, that's within their authority as well.  

If I don't hear "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" again in a tournament, I won't be disappointed.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#8 Double True

Double True

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74115

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

God this is one thing I cannot stand hearing whenever I am either at a tourney or watching it on tv. It can be a 600+ yard par 5 and when Tiger tee's off some jag-off has to yell "YEAH TIGER GET IN THE HOLE!!!" I swear it is the same guy at every tournament too. In one way I love the diversity that is now in the golf community but in the same token I cannot stand how people try to make golf too much like the other major sports i.e. baseball, football etc. where you can yell and shout stupid things.

#9 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1266

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

View Postdougcankles, on Apr 13 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

Just because Faldo says it doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. Don't put so much weight on what media says. Think for yourself.

I think for myself just fine.  I also think Faldo was 100% correct.  Where Faldo got it wrong was that not only should it be "not at Augusta," it shouldn't be anywhere on a golf course.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#10 bayway

bayway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28329

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

You have too much time on your hands to make this poll...

It's fun.. big deal. So what if it's an over-used cliche.

It's golf!!

Sorry, it appears this subject must have touched a nerve but glad you have also "way to much free time", as your valuable time to respond is appreciated. As I stated there does appear to be tournaments, FBR, where this is encouraged and that is fine. I just wanted to see how everyone at WRX felt on hearing it at every tournament, especially now that it has reached the Masters. It just gets a little old to me, week after week.

Edited by bayway, 13 April 2009 - 06:02 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 SwinginCaveman

SwinginCaveman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77758
  • Ebay ID:carazy365

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

The fans have a voice in every major sport.  In soccer, fans from each country sing their anthem.  In football and basketball, there are a variety of encouraging chants.  In baseball, fans cheer while doing the wave.

The problem is those sports are in an entirely different realm.  Golf has always been a spectators sport but there is a sense of professionalism in golf that doesn't exist in most major team sports.  

No other major team sport has an "etiquette" system.  You never see NFL players going out of their way during a game to make sure the competition is more comfortable.  You even see it in basketball.  A guy commits a foul and knocks an opponent down.  Instead of helping him up, I've seen guys step over the guy they knocked down and wait for one of his teammates to come help him up.

The point is golf is a professional game and thus should be treated like one.  A large part of the golf demographic is in a professional working atmosphere so why let a few drunk morons ruin the experience?

People also say "well I paid for my ticket I can do what I want."  There's another side of that.  What about the paying patrons who DON'T want the distractions.  You can liken it to the argument of smoking bans.  Same deal.  "I'm a tax-paying citizen I can smoke where I want."  Wrong.  You can smoke where you want until it starts affecting other people.

Edited by SwinginCaveman, 13 April 2009 - 05:53 PM.

#12 gregflat9

gregflat9

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19693
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

They'll never stop it as much as I hate it.

Idiots are a fact of life unfortunately.

#13 atxGunit

atxGunit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7019

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

I heard "Do you like what you see!!!" yelled a few weeks ago after tee shots on a long par four. Almost puked....

Edited by atxGunit, 13 April 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#14 cuznguido

cuznguido

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79757

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

It has always been my opinion that it just identifies the culprit to the crowd as a moron.  It seems this started a few years ago, usually in the galleries following Tiger around, but has unfortunately spread.  Too bad that the game of golf can not be spared from immature morons.

#15 fua1

fua1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46012
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

View Postdougcankles, on Apr 13 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

What if I wanted to drop a F bomb? The get in the hole guy should be removed.

#16 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Personally, I advocate that anyone witnessed shouting 'get in the hole!' following a tee shot on a par 5 should be immediately removed from the course and placed into an asylum for the criminally stupid for the rest of their natural lives.

In the case of lesser transgressions - such as on the tees of par 3 holes or when players hit approach shots - a simple public flogging would suffice.

I'm sure I'm not the only one getting increasingly irritated by these cretins.

#17 suavemilagro

suavemilagro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76342

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, the rest of the crowd should point them out, and they should be walked off the premises.  It has gotten to the point of just being annoying, not fun anymore, not enthusiastic, just lame.  It takes away from my enjoyment...WATCHING ON TV!  I can only imagine paying top dollar for masters tickets and having some dork screaming right next to you.  Now at Scottsdale, you kind of know what your in for out there.

#18 dougcankles

dougcankles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

View Postfua1, on Apr 13 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

View Postdougcankles, on Apr 13 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

What if I wanted to drop a F bomb? The get in the hole guy should be removed.

I'm fine with cursing also. As long as you don't physically harm the golfer.

#19 Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Old Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76911
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

View Postmat562, on Apr 13 2009, 07:31 PM, said:

Personally, I advocate that anyone witnessed shouting 'get in the hole!' following a tee shot on a par 5 should be immediately removed from the course and placed into an asylum for the criminally stupid for the rest of their natural lives.

In the case of lesser transgressions - such as on the tees of par 3 holes or when players hit approach shots - a simple public flogging would suffice.

Very....VERY well said.

Like was said above....I also hate to see golf getting to the point where drunken idiots can act like...well...drunken idiots.  It just has no part in the game, IMO.
Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

#20 victor2000

victor2000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9313
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

View Postdougcankles, on Apr 13 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

You gotta be kidding me?  You would condone an idiot yelling, "get in the hole"?  This behavior is totally unnecessary and should not be tolerated.  Golf is different than other sports.  We call penalties on ourselves. We applaud our fellow competitors hitting great shots.  We assist our competitors in the search of a lost ball.  We shake hands on the 1st tee and then again on the 18th.  We don't root against our fellow competitors.  

When we enter the gates as a "patron", our values should not change.  We should act with the same respect and dignity.

These people should be IMMEDIATELY removed from the property.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 kmgeorge88

kmgeorge88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71608

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

My favorite is when Tiger is teeing off on a 1,000 yard hole with a pitching wedge and you hear three guys yell, "Get in the hole."  While it is somewhat amusing, it gets kind of old after a while.

#22 blade_man

blade_man

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47994
  • Ebay ID:napaman
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

View Poststage1350, on Apr 13 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Your ticket gives you the privelege to enter the course and watch the tournament. The hosts have the right to toss you if you're obnoxious. I was hoping that Augusta would be the one place with the balls to throw those idiots out.

You make a good point with the FBR. They want to have a party. So be it. But if another stop wants you to behave, that's within their authority as well.

If I don't hear "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" again in a tournament, I won't be disappointed.

+1! it just isn't right, please show some respect, if not for the golfers and the course then for yourself, you look like an idiot (and you are) for yelling, this is not a hockey game.

Edited by blade_man, 13 April 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#23 tbowles411

tbowles411

It's Paige Ocktobur - October. You're welcome.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1937

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hate. It.

#24 shuttle1

shuttle1

All Clubs: Built by - "Goodsie"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58033
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

View Postmat562, on Apr 13 2009, 05:31 PM, said:

Amen.

Only I would advocate a bit more harsh punishment.

I can't stand it. It makes me want to turn the volume off.

#25 drr324

drr324

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78744
  • Ebay ID:drr324

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

At Scottsdale- anything goes... everywhere else:

From ANY tee box- whip the idiots with the same switches they were cleaning the 18th green with prior to the playoff.

On chips, pitches or putts:  if the ball is within a 5 foot of the hole and on the right line, plus you really like the guy- then I'm ok with "go in".

I heard Faldo say it on the 16th and I agree 100%- not at the Masters....

#26 BugsyinNC

BugsyinNC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73450

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

So what does happen when someone yells "Get in the hole" and you are nearby? Do you pummel him (as he deserves), say something smart back or ignore it. I advocate a beat down by the crowd with, hopefully, the cameras showing it. Anyone who has been to a tournament lately have any stories to tell?

#27 mantan

mantan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6970
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Making rules will never work....you're talking about public opinion where you have to play to the lowest common denominator.

What it will really take is a beer company or other major sponsor making a commercial campaign highlighting how idiotic it is to the point where the people who do it actually realize how stupid it is to do it.

The people who actually yell it are just following the heard and feel it's an accepted practice....

#28 gir2

gir2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28756
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Anyone hear some guy scream out "FULL STEAM AHEAD!" on one of the playoff holes yesterday?  That made me lol.

#29 morganmonroe

morganmonroe

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67513
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

View Postshuttle1, on Apr 13 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

View Postmat562, on Apr 13 2009, 05:31 PM, said:

Amen.

Only I would advocate a bit more harsh punishment.

I can't stand it. It makes me want to turn the volume off.

+1 on both of these posts.  Bring back pistol-whipping.

#30 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

An urban legend has it that Greg Norman turned to face some 'In the hole!' merchant after his tee shot - on a long par 4 or par 5 hole; I can't remember which - and, in front of the several dozen other spectators, addressed the halfwit directly, fixing him with an icy stare and remarking: 'What a ridiculous thing to shout. You must be an absolute moron...' or words to that effect.

Obviously Greg isn't playing too much lately, and it would be unfair to expect him to carry the burden alone, but I'd agree that some sort of tongue-in-cheek advertising camapaign by a major company, or an episode of The Simpsons, satirically taking the mickey out of these idiots may well have some effect. Perhaps they can be shamed into realising how ludicrous they sound - or subliminally brainwashed back to common sense - all in the interests of stamping out what 99.9% of the population find to be childish and rather gormless behaviour.

Go back 10 or 15 years and it was a relative rarity to hear it. It was almost a little amusing when you did; given that it was once in a blue moon and wasn't being done on shots that had absolutely no chance of reaching the green, let alone the hole. Fast forward to the modern day and it's an epidemic. You hear some prat shouting it in all countries, in all accents, and it's invariably commented upon by announcers and commentators as something that's both stupid and annoying on the TV coverage of any and every tournament. Even the players don't like it.

I don't for one minute think that any GolfWRX members are culprits. But if any 'Youdaman!' or 'in the hole!' merchants are reading this, please take note: You sound like an idiot. No-one is impressed by your shouting out and, frankly, everyone in the vicinity of you when you do shout is privately thinking what an utter moron you must be. Your family and/or cronies may well think it's brilliant when you rewind the recording of the particular shot that you set the DVD to record before setting off, and  the sound of your voice again and again, but no-one else does. Most people in fact have a sneaking suspicion that you have a double digit I.Q. , were unpopular at school, and are less than a stellar performer in the bedroom. If, indeed, you even have a partner to meet up with in there. Shouting out at a golf tournament doesn't make up for the fact that you're a social inadequate. It just reinforces the notion that you are one. Pipe down and give everyone a break from your unwanted ego trip and your idiocy.

I'm on board with the earlier posts here; and with Faldo. It sounds even more 'wrong' at Augusta and I'm surprised that such fools are allowed in - given the privilege of getting a ticket for the big show and the sanctity of the event. I would have thought that, of all venues, Augusta would be the one that is able to operate a working Moron Filter at the gates.

Sadly not. Albeit they've Tiger-proofed the course, it looks like they've been unable to idiot-proof the patrons.

Edited by mat562, 13 April 2009 - 10:02 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors