Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How far can a machine hit a golf ball?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alvoaboafoa

alvoaboafoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78450
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

Anybody have any idea about this?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jcshil

jcshil

jcshil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55315
  • Ebay ID:jcshil

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Pretty interesting thought - I'd like to see if anybody has any idea as well.

#3 Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51878
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hi guys just return from Mizuno R&D and Factory and on that day they were doing robot testing. They were testing the new MP-600 driver at 30% power and the carry was 250 yards.
They have had a carry of 340 yards which carried to the parking lot and that was not even close to full power. The engineer was telling us they can't test clubs at full power for 2 main reasons 1. the shaft will not hold up and 2. the robot would lift off the plat form.
It was an outstanding day thanks to all at Mizuno Golf and Bill Price.

#4 Abs777

Abs777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61262

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

I wish they would do a test with a robot and hit all of the new drivers to determine which one really is the longest.  I read Golf Digest's hot list and they make this list based off of users feedback.  It is hard to be consistent and you can't judge from a human because of variables.  Set the machine to 50% power or a swing speed of 100 mph and try every club with the same settings and see which club really is the "hottest", "longest", and "straightest".  If you walk in to 10 pro shops and ask the workers what is the longest club out right now, you will get 7 different answers.  Does anyone know of any testing like this?

#5 tfro

tfro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58829
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Interesting.  I would have thought the face would be the weak link.  The long drive guys break faces all the time, but I've never heard of shafts breaking (not that it doesn't happen I guess).  But they also use monster shafts.

#6 UTGolf73

UTGolf73

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37902
  • Ebay ID:sdg728

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

View PostAbs777, on Apr 10 2009, 07:57 AM, said:

I wish they would do a test with a robot and hit all of the new drivers to determine which one really is the longest. I read Golf Digest's hot list and they make this list based off of users feedback. It is hard to be consistent and you can't judge from a human because of variables. Set the machine to 50% power or a swing speed of 100 mph and try every club with the same settings and see which club really is the "hottest", "longest", and "straightest". If you walk in to 10 pro shops and ask the workers what is the longest club out right now, you will get 7 different answers. Does anyone know of any testing like this?

Check out or contact Uinta Golf in SLC, UT(www.uintagolf.com).. They have a robot and their own fitting center. They do a lot of testing on drivers and while the haven't reported the results like you say, they do provide their findings about the club.   I'm sure they have some database of their findings and may share if asked.. I think their fitting center is called RoboFit..

Edited by UTGolf73, 10 April 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#7 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

View PostAbs777, on Apr 10 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

I wish they would do a test with a robot and hit all of the new drivers to determine which one really is the longest.  I read Golf Digest's hot list and they make this list based off of users feedback.  It is hard to be consistent and you can't judge from a human because of variables.  Set the machine to 50% power or a swing speed of 100 mph and try every club with the same settings and see which club really is the "hottest", "longest", and "straightest".  If you walk in to 10 pro shops and ask the workers what is the longest club out right now, you will get 7 different answers.  Does anyone know of any testing like this?

They can do this but it would be useless information (except for marketing), unless you are a person who just happens to have the exact same launch conditions as that particlular machine (i.e. swing speed, angle of attack, face angle, type of golf ball, weather conditions, etc.) or else it would be pretty useless.  This is the exact reason you get 7 different answers, because they are probably all right, the driver each person recommended is probably the LONGEST for that individual.  That is why when golf magazine does the hotstix section, they usually do it a a few different swing speeds.    And testing is already done for the "hottness" of the face, it is limited to the COR and you better believe that all manufacturers are as close as possible to that COR.

#8 tfro

tfro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58829
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

View PostAbs777, on Apr 10 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

Set the machine to 50% power or a swing speed of 100 mph and try every club with the same settings and see which club really is the "hottest", "longest", and "straightest".

That'd be great, if you had a 100mph swing speed and hit it exactly like that robot was setup to hit for that test.  But you don't, so it's not really useful information.

#9 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I seriously doubt that any one driver is longest under all of the launch conditions created by a wide range of golfers.  It would therefore be usely to machine test them all, one against the rest.  That would tell you which was longest for the machine, at the parameters of the test, not which is longest for each of us.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors