Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Standing up during my downswing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 aminian.1

aminian.1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33297
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hi all,

I'm a 12 handicapper who used to suffer from an occasional bout of the shanks.  More recently, I've been trying to get rid of a tendency to pull/hook, especially with my driver.  Over the last week or so, I've deduced that both problems may be tied to the same swing flaw:  I stand up during my downswing.  I think this causes one of two things to happen: (1) best case scenario- my swing plane flattens out a a little as I stand up and I hit either a picky (i.e., no divot) little draw or a pull/hook; or (2) worst case- my plane flattens out dramatically to the point that the hozel gets on-line with the ball, and I hit a shank (or a thin pull off the heel of my driver).  When I concentrate on staying down through impact, I don't shank and I hit nice little draw with a good divot (or crack my driver 260-270).  Does this diagnosis make sense?

Can anyone recommend a good drill for staying down and on plane through a shot?

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

aminian.1, on Apr 3 2009, 08:47 AM, said:

Hi all,

I'm a 12 handicapper who used to suffer from an occasional bout of the shanks.  More recently, I've been trying to get rid of a tendency to pull/hook, especially with my driver.  Over the last week or so, I've deduced that both problems may be tied to the same swing flaw:  I stand up during my downswing.  I think this causes one of two things to happen: (1) best case scenario- my swing plane flattens out a a little as I stand up and I hit either a picky (i.e., no divot) little draw or a pull/hook; or (2) worst case- my plane flattens out dramatically to the point that the hozel gets on-line with the ball, and I hit a shank (or a thin pull off the heel of my driver).  When I concentrate on staying down through impact, I don't shank and I hit nice little draw with a good divot (or crack my driver 260-270).  Does this diagnosis make sense?

Can anyone recommend a good drill for staying down and on plane through a shot?

Thanks!

I can't imagine that your plane "flattens out" as you stand up.  If anything, I'd bet that it gets much more upright.  I'd think that standing up through the swing indicates that, at least subconsciously, you think you're going to hit the ground first, and so you pull your shoulders and head up to create more room for the club to swing through without hitting the ground.  You could either be starting too hunched/bent low to the ground, and or with the ball too close to you, and/or with bad posture, making you pull away when you swing through.

I think the best thing you can do is really concentrate on your posture:  straight back, arms hanging mostly down, and a good bend at the hip joints.  Getting into this good posture will dictate where the ball should be in relation to you.  If you have that good hip joint bend (with you rear out, and a straight back), and you concentrate on maintaining this position throughout the swing (without being "stiff"), you'll be impressed with how much more crisp your ball striking becomes.  Sadly, I only just figured this out for myself.  :)

PS -- When you have this figured out, maybe Charles Barkley will hire you to teach him how to stop DIPPING at the ball.  LOL

Edited by KMeloney, 03 April 2009 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Marrrk

Marrrk

Brooklyn by way of South Jersey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60062
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

like what was said above, i think it's more important to maintain the same height from beginning to end. when i start losing shots to the right or sliding my hips/thighs too much, i like to stand very tall throughout the swing. it keeps me more anchored to/dependent on the ground and reduces the amount i slide in the backswing and downswing. but that's just me and my little homemade fixes.

#4 McSmitherson

McSmitherson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77457
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Use your shadow to mark where your head position is at address.  Then swing while watching your shadow and making sure your head doesnt lift or drop before impact.

Also, it probably means that you are losing your spine angle.  So you can swing with your butt against a wall.  When you swing you butt stays in contact with the wall.  On the backswing your right back pocket (for righties) brushes the wall.  At impact and through the release your left back pocket brushes the wall.  try without a club so you dont break your wall.

Edited by McSmitherson, 03 April 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

KMelony gave very good and accurate advice as far as I can tell.  I recently had a lesson from a very accomplished Teaching Pro in my area, and what you are doing (standing up in your downswing) was one of my two biggest faults, in addition to standing up I was swaying off the ball.

He first corrected my posture (I was too hunched over) by having me bend at the knees much more (I'm 6'5")  and keep the spine at more of an upright angle versus hunched/bent over the ball.   The next big thing was to begin my downswing with my hands versus shoulder.   By beginning with my shoulders combined with coming out of the swing I would pull left of slice.  

The drill he gave me was once i got to the top of my backswing, just drop my hands to my waist level and then back up and down again, kind of Mike Weir type pump but with my hands only keeping my shoulder and arms in place.  I did this several times then swing throgh without stopping.   I've worked on this drill ALOT over the last two weeks along with my stance change and concentrating on keeping my toros centered over the ball and turning against it in my backswing.

Hope this helps some, but it is probably not as well stated as Kmelone's post.  he nailed it so to speak.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#6 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

McSmitherson, on Apr 3 2009, 12:46 PM, said:

Also, it probably means that you are losing your spine angle.  So you can swing with your butt against a wall.

...Or put your stand bag behind you and back into it such that you're touching your clubs with your rear at set up.  You shouldn't come out of contact with the clubs until you've posted up on your front leg.

And thanks to all of you who have suggested that I know what I'm talking about.  LOL   :russian_roulette:

#7 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Standing up through the shot is not a disease to be cured, it's a symptom of something else.  If you didn't stand up through the shot, you would surely slam the club into the ground behind the ball, so your body reacts by standing.

#8 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

yoonie, on Apr 3 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

Standing up through the shot is not a disease to be cured, it's a symptom of something else.  If you didn't stand up through the shot, you would surely slam the club into the ground behind the ball, so your body reacts by standing.
Yoonie, that is essentialy what my instructor said, the standing up wasn't a fault, it was the result of a fault, in essence it was my only option to keep from slamming the club in the ground 2 feet behind ball.

yes, Kmeloney you do know what you're talking about.  My problem is I can usually tell someone what they are doing wrong as well by watching them, but I sure as heck can't SHOW them how to do it :)
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#9 deeviant

deeviant

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1998
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

KMeloney, on Apr 3 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

Also, it probably means that you are losing your spine angle.  So you can swing with your butt against a wall.

...Or put your stand bag behind you and back into it such that you're touching your clubs with your rear at set up.  You shouldn't come out of contact with the clubs until you've posted up on your front leg.

And thanks to all of you who have suggested that I know what I'm talking about.  LOL   :russian_roulette:

I had someone tell me something similar to this. I would bend down at the knees, but straightened them, essientially standing up, as soon as I started my downswing. They had me put two of those alignment/driveway markers behind me and keep in contact with them during my swing. It did help but be careful, now I can't swing right without someone touching my butt...... :shok:

#10 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

:rofl:

deeviant, on Apr 3 2009, 04:00 PM, said:

KMeloney, on Apr 3 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

I had someone tell me something similar to this. I would bend down at the knees, but straightened them, essientially standing up, as soon as I started my downswing. They had me put two of those alignment/driveway markers behind me and keep in contact with them during my swing. It did help but be careful, now I can't swing right without someone touching my butt...... :shok:
ROFLMAO   :rofl:

5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Josh The Nosh

Josh The Nosh

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66748
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hello, Amin

Ive suffered with this really badly for the whole time ive played golf.

The reason i stand up through impact, is because i dip my head towards the ball on the back swing, so im closer to the ball, so i have to stand up to actually not miss the ball :)

ive been trying to fix this with pros for ages now, and it seems at first it was the result of an inside takeaway, but ive done it for so long that its now a habit. with no ball i can swing with out dipping my head no prob. put a ball in front of me ill dip my head all day long.

ITs such a shame cause this imo is whats stopping me going to the next level :)

So check your head to make sure it isnt dipping :)

#12 Dariusz J.

Dariusz J.

BiokineticGolf

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44929
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

yoonie, on Apr 3 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

Very correct post. Usually, the culprit lies in incorrect pelvis area motion, that could be a derivative of an off-plane backswing, bad grip, bad stance, etc.

Cheers

#13 alittleoverpar

alittleoverpar

Cousin Jess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62687
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

One reason that a golfer may hit a pull or shank when standing up during the downswing is that the golfer often quits rotating his/her body through the shot when they stand up.  This causes the arms to swing past the body resulting in a pull hook or possibly a shank (if you are too close to the ball).
Callaway RFX 11.5* - Aldila Trinity X
Sonartec TRC 14*, 18* - DG X100
Callaway Razr X MB 4-PW - PX 6.5
Callaway X Forged 54*,58*, 62* - DG S40
Royal Collection Miami

#14 tigerphan

tigerphan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67329
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

alittleoverpar, on Apr 3 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

One reason that a golfer may hit a pull or shank when standing up during the downswing is that the golfer often quits rotating his/her body through the shot when they stand up. This causes the arms to swing past the body resulting in a pull hook or possibly a shank (if you are too close to the ball).

that is what happens to me in golf and hockey(slapshots) it usally with woods and i lose control and distence

#15 Richie3Jack

Richie3Jack

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67062
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

My guess is that you're coming way over the top.  That's what usually happens when golfers shank.  Since you also pull from time to time, my guess is that the OTT move is also getting the face closed at impact.  So when you're really coming OTT, you hit a pull if the face is closed at impact and a shank when it's not closed at impact.

As far as standing up, it's usually some sort of reaction to prevent you from falling on your face.  I find this is usually do to getting the weight up on the toes at some point of the swing.  Put it this way, take your stance w/o a club and then stand up on your tippy toes with both feet trying to maintain your posture and bend from the waist.  You'll find that this is hard to do and the body wants to 'stand up' in order to balance yourself.  

That being said, if you're coming OTT, I would work on correcting that first and then work on the footwork and standing up part of the swing.

3JACK

#16 Titclemiz

Titclemiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73140
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

I tend to do the same thing. Good posture, but on the downswing, my swing plane would change more upright and thus tend to stand up and hit the ball more towards the heel or shank.

I had a lesson and he strengthened my grip and then I work on trying to keep the club on the same plane from backswing to downswing.  When I do that, I now strike the ball in the center or even more towards the toe, which is a big difference for me.

Good luck, I know how difficult it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors