Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

two balls touching in fairway

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grlichti

grlichti

Giorgio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54693
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

If two balls come to rest touching, or close enough together that the player who hits first will move the other ball, what is the proper ruling? Mark?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JoeJ

JoeJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34596
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

player closest to the hole marks and lifts his ball. He is unable to clean it, thus why you see most guys in this situation hold the ball gently with two fingers, don't pocket it, or hand it to the caddie.

#3 tsr74

tsr74

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39030
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

This happened to me recently during a friendly round, but we were about a yard off of the fairway in a thick patch of rough.  Neither of us had good lies.  He was away and my ball was just an inch or two directly in his line.  We weren't sure what to do, so I marked and lifted after he said he couldn't swing without hitting my ball.  We were having such a close round that I thought it was only fair to recreate my poor lie rather than drop or just rest it on top of the grass, so that's what I did.  Did we make the right call?

In regards to grlichti's original question, what if the player who hits first makes a divot?  Does it matter that the lie of the person who marked has now changed?

#4 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

The second player to hit is entitled to the same conditions that existed prior to the first player hitting. So, if you're playing with Ian Woosnam, the rules allow you to as near as is possible recreate the original lie - i.e. the ball can be replaced as close as is possible to the original position and in a spot that best allows the original lie to be replicated. Practically speaking, this means that you are allowed to move it slightly so as to not have the divot that's just been taken interfering with the shot.

Edited by mat562, 29 March 2009 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors