Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Swing and Fitness Instructors!

90 replies to this topic

#1 utopiapga

utopiapga

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 538
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hi I am Utopiapga and I have a problem.......... :ok:

I have been an Instructor for 5 years now and have been a student of the game for 27 years.

I also play Professionally and I am willing to answer any questions anyone might have.

My little catch phrase is "Keep It Simple" that is the way I teach and how I play the game.

:lol:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ultra45

ultra45

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10544
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

i got my teaching card a couple seasons ago... don't throw my 2 cents in very often though

darryl

#3 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4964
  • Ebay ID:slicefixer
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

As a golf professional/teacher I have been privileged to AVOID work for 22 years now.....I've done "work," a LOT of it at times, and teaching golf for me isn't!"  :lol:

Before I start this I'd like to make it clear that these accomplishments are NOT mine, but, are 100% the students......I never hit a shot......and I was asked to  post this.......:ok:

Ok portz....here goes......

Students......

- NO PGA Tour victories.....but several members/qualifiers

- Multiple US Open qualifiers, 1 Masters Qualifier

- 7 Nike/Hogan victories.....

- 11 State Amateur titles.......several runner ups, etc.  (TX, AR, LA)

- 4 State Junior Titles.......(TX, AR, LA)

- TX State Open Champ.......

- Multiple US Amateur and US Mid-Amateur qualifiers......in fact, been to several in the past few years "coaching".....Winged Foot, Oakmont, Honors, Merion, etc.

- College Scholarships to.....Arkansas, Arizona, Texas Arlington, College of Charleston, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, LSU, Centenary, Southern Miss, Houston, Oklahoma City University, SMU, TCU, and a ton of smaller schools.......several AA's......

- AJGA AA's......Canon Cup, etc.

- Winner of 2 tournaments on South African PGA Tour......

- Tons of junior/am/high school/college wins........Bruce Lietzke Junior, Chad Campbell Junior, Texas Legends Tour Championship, etc. etc.

My own playing record......

- Won over 40 Junior tournaments including 2 statewide juniors and 1 northern half of the state (Texas)
- Represented my state at their expense in 2 national junior events.......IYC and Junior World
- Won over 25 Amateur/College events of varying levels including 3 statewide.......
- US Amateur Qualifier.....
- Played on scholarship at a VERY successful Div. 1 program......
- Experience.......Canadian PGA Tour, Hogan/Nike Tour, PGA Tour.......
- 2 - 2nd place finishes @ Hogan/Nike level.......
- Won several "mini-tour" events/Pro-Ams, etc......."junk"......hehehe.....but they DID pay!

Edited by slicefixer, 07 April 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#4 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

#insideTMAG

• Marshals
  • 3,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

I am a full time golf instructor teaching in the SF Bay area.    I am lucky to have been trained by, and taught for Jim McLean.   I was awarded as one of the top teachers in the state of CA for 2006 by Golf Digest.
Zach
Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#5 chrisholt

chrisholt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10539
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

Im an assistant pro over here in the UK. Got 15 months to go before i am fully qualified PGA Professional but can offer any guidance

#6 joesgonegolfing

joesgonegolfing

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9862
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:joesgonegolfing
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:02 PM

I am joesgonegolfing and teach in Maryland.  

My claim to fame is this,

I am 41 and did not pick up a golf club until early 1997.  After several years of hacking it around and quiting the game I got serious about taking lessons.  Somewhere in there the bug really bit me and I began to realize this game is almost impossible to learn without proper instruction and practice habits. The Baltimore Sun newspaper wrote an article about me last winter.

Not many teachers can claim to have once been a 26 handicap and worked their way down. I know where you have been....and I feel your pain!

I currently have 148 active students and their handicaps range from over 30 to plus 1. I teach because I enjoy it, it really does not seem like work.

Joe

(I have not taught since late 2006 and now have my amatuer status back)

Edited by joesgonegolfing, 27 December 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#7 ggpro

ggpro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3188
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

-22 years Class A PGA member
-won several professional tournaments
-PGA National President's Award winner
-Several junior players went on to Division 1 scholarships
-Conducted clinics with Chris DiMarco, David Leadbetter, Mitchell Spearman and Justin Leonard

See this link for more info:

http://images.uniteu.....0&dept_id=310

Go to the Akron link

Edited by ggpro, 19 March 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#8 Gallery_bradlcj_*

Gallery_bradlcj_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

Can anyone recommend a really good teaching professional in Illinois?

#9 Gallery_bradlcj_*

Gallery_bradlcj_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Or, in lieu of being able to recommend a good teaching professional, can anyone recommend a drill or drills to work on for the purpose of fixing the following swing faults:
1. Tendency to early release or cup the left wrist at impact.
2. Backswing too long. Need to shorten the backswing. I would very much like to make my swing much more compact. Currently taking it passed parrallel.
3. Slow the swing speed. Too quick and too fast especially under pressure.

#10 parmark

parmark

Parmark

• 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12285
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

What is the cause, and how do I get rid of my shank?  I'll be glad to pass a long a video for your review if you can provide any help.  My first born and a deposit in swiss bank account if anyone can help me get rid of this dastardly afflication.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 dana dahlquist

dana dahlquist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24675
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

Well, I was told I should put up info here.
I teach out of Long Beach CA, and Mike Mcnary is based out of Santa Ana.
PM me anytime about club chucking

#12 Lumpy_22

Lumpy_22

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31786
  • Ebay ID:elc_1949

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

A few questions. considering that youcan't see my swing I'll keep them basic...

1. How important is clubfitting, and then whom can you trust. I've heard horror stories, and that makes me hesitent. I'm playing blades that were made ofr someone else. I hit them fine but at 6'2" and 280 I'm not sure I'm the same at setup from the teaching pro they were purchased from on line...

2. Putting drills that will help. I focus on not hitting more than 2 putts the same distance consecutively, unless I'm trying to ingrane stroke (mainly for 3 footers). I'm currently an 8 cap, but routineley average 34-36 putts per round. Greens in reg are around 10 per, and unless I'm putting then "tight", I usually only have 1-3 birds, but have gone 2-3 rounds without one. Shot 81 with 39 putts. Almost made me quit (not really) just insanely frustrating...Any thoughts..

Overview: I hit about 235 carry with the driver most times around 250 with roll give or take, with about 92 Mph swing speed, and use an 8 iron to carry 145. I've made some progress without lessons, and still have some way to go, but the short game is lacking.....

#13 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52445
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Great, here's my question(s): What exercises would you recommend for SI pain and what swing faults cause SI pain?
Thanks

#14 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

Still no answer from the "experts" on this db?

#15 TourTeacher

TourTeacher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62420

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Bradljc-W/o seeing your swing, you are classic reverse weight shift at the top, which is steepening move so the early release helps you shallow out.  The reverse is also why you feel you have a long swing , if you lean right it would be much shorter.  You can't swing too fast but in your position you unwind the shoulders before the arms can get down.  Work towards a better pivot.

parmark-wish my website was up b/c I have an article on it that describes exactly how to fix the shank and the 5 things that lead to a shank.  I'm withholding the site name until next week when its complete sorry.

lumpy 22-same thing about an article on both your q's.  It is extremely important your clubs fit especially at 6'2".  Not hard to find someone who can measure you.  Practice putting w a chalk line and a ladder drill will help your putting out.

keiko-  what is SI?  Look for a person or chiro that does applied kiniesiology or MAT both work well for pain w/o drugs.

I teach several Nationwide Tour players and last years #1 money leader on the Nationwide Tour, Richard Johnson.  Will post website next week.   Cheers!

#16 Garyhard

Garyhard

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50561

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

all sound solid with the art, skill level, and finest thouts of the game.
so, i once read a blog that said they were qouting an English study, that, which to be "world class", one would need atlest 10 year of practic.

i do not agree,however, i do believe if someone understood the bodies motion through the stroke, how to manipulate clubs, including 1 irons, and ball flite-with dimpuls and wind negotiation, than they could be world class.

This takes experience and patience too learn.

I have been shown(at a young age, the balance tec.)
Many, many years later, i decide to practic golf (basic understanding of balance, timing, motion), i than put it to use, compared my notes ( to when i was young) Four years of practic on a range. You would think i was a pro. my scores are starting to reflec it.

Given all this, my advice is too get a trainer you fell comforable with. RECOMMONDATIONS: someone that with take the time to direct you with read matter (the type that will fit your training development coarse-so you don't get confused with all of this chatter) and one that will take the time to return your questions with some thought behind it and not charge you every time. His time is important and you will save many more strokes "soon" rather than "later" on the course.

Maybe even communicate with some over the internet that is a PGA instructor. You should not use a shade tree golf buds advices other than to have fun practicing a the golf range.

Tanks!

#17 dpt

dpt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62005

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Well since no one has answered your question I will offer some help.  SI is the sacroiliac joint and is the joint formed by the back of the pelvis and the sacrum.  In simple terms it is a joint mainly connected by ligaments vs a ball and socket joint that has stability inherent in it's structure.  As a result any excessive stress to this joint can sprain or stretch the ligaments to create pain and instability.  Motions that can easily stress this joint are motions that involve moving the legs in opposite motions such as doing the splits forward and sideways.  Another motion that applies stress to this joint is any unilateral stress such as standing on one leg which will create a shear type stress to the ligaments of the SIJ on that leg.  The golf swing inherently applies stress to the SI joint.  Depending on what kind of injury you have, ie osteoarthritis or instability, you may need to modify your swing to reduce the stress to the SIJ.  Common swing faults that produce excessive stress to the SIJ include S-curve in set up, reverse spine angle, sway and slide, early extension and a C-curve follow through. Get checked out by a Physical Therapist to determine what's really going on and for the right treatment.  An SIJ dysfunction is fairly rare in men except for instances where traumatic injuries were involved.  It actually may be a lumbar facet problem.

#18 midgiteyehigh

midgiteyehigh

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76002

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

I don't have a list of names to drop. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express about a month ago. :rolleyes:  Sorry I know that's worn out.

#19 birdiemachine61

birdiemachine61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76240
  • Ebay ID:birdiemachine61

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

Probably the best trainer for golf is Andrea Doddato in Orlando, she works with lots of Tour Players and is serioulsy the best around. her e mail address is shapeandsport@cfl.rr.com

#20 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have a young man's swing in an old man's body, I will not change my swing so I will live with the pain. I still hit it 275 off the tee and my irons are within 5 yds of the pro's. As a single digit player, if I stop now to change my swing, my game goes south.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 UCGolf

UCGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75767

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

keiko
You dont need to change your swing but I do think you should find someone in your area to put you through Selective Functional Movement Analysis (SFMA) screening to find the route of you pain.  People trained out of various Medical Disciplines that work in the golf arena would be your best bet and of course being partial to TPI I think you should check out myTPI.com and find the nearest Medical Professional (that would be the MP certification next to the individuals name) to get you playing pain free.
Good luck

#22 dabdias

dabdias

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73727

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

I have been playing for 2,5 years now and it seems to me that after developing a swing (my swing) the two things that make my game fluctuate the most are my grip and my tempo. A few questions on this:

1 - What are the important check points for a correct grip? Left hand role, right hand role? Is there any image/idea that I should have in my head to help me when my grip is not correct?

2 - Tempo, for those days that my tempo is completely out, is there any quick fix/reference point during the swing that I should be aware of?

3 - Grip and tempo? How do they relate? It seems to me that once I grip too hard that typically puts me out of tempo, is that true? Or might be the other way around? - bad tempo makes grip harder?

Thanks for now - I will come back again with fitness questions (IMHO good fitness is one of the most underrated aspects of the game)

DD

#23 mooks3113

mooks3113

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63852

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

hey guys anyone know of a good instuctor in new york suffolk county area.   need some help ,im done trying to figure out how to fix my swing on my own.

thanks

#24 vjs27

vjs27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71564

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

Was wondering if anyone could help me in finding out what the average club speed if for women? I've been playing for about 6 months, and determined that my current club speed is about 55MPH. I was told that I should try to hit 60MPH in order to get the max distance off my clubs? Appreciate any input.  Thanks.  (cool)

#25 usgaer

usgaer

• 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41257
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:drifty72

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

need a good instructor for a friend, new to the game and age 60.

thanks.

oh, it would be in the Nashville, TN area

thanks

OTHill

#26 Backspin87

Backspin87

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85089

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

going to start working on my teaching credentials through UGTF.  Anyone have any experience with them?

#27 DrewKman

DrewKman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52919

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

To Whom It May Concern:
I am looking for some drills that I can incorporate into my practice routine (short game/range).  Any ideas would be great!  Thanks for your time.

#28 Anaheim944

Anaheim944

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79855

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Any PGA instructor recommendations in SOCAL? I am in Anaheim so I need someone North OC or 562 are LA. I'm 27 and not rich so.... I'm just looking for a 2 hour session to get some things to work on. I'll probably go back every month or 2 to check on my progress. I dont have a handicap, all i've played are par 3's and I average about a bogey a hole because of the occasional shank. Just looking for more consistancy from day to day. Maybe you or a friend have worked with an instructor that you loved. Any help would be appreciated guys. THANKS

#29 capcase

capcase

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86814

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

any PGA professional in California bay area?   I need to take clinic lesson

here is my swing videos that show my swing faults:

1) iron:
2)driver:

thanks!

#30 Parker19822

Parker19822

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83271

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

View PostBackspin87, on Jun 8 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

going to start working on my teaching credentials through UGTF.  Anyone have any experience with them?

I received my teaching credentials through the USGTF in San Diego, and I liked the experience a lot. Seeing how I got a late start into golf as a career (been playing for over 20 years) this was the best way to get some sort of credibility as an instructor. I found out about the program from an instructor in Palm Springs who was both Class A and Level IV through the USGTF, and he said he learned ten times more about teaching golf through the USGTF than through the PGA. PGA program is much more business oriented and pretty much the only way you'll ever be able to become a head pro or director of golf in most competitive golf markets such as California, Florida, Arizona, New York, etc, however, there still are USGTF head pros across the country.

Obviously the USGTF is not as prominent and well known as the PGA, but I think it's a great alternative for those who have the potential to be good golf teachers, but didn't have the opportunity to start with the PGA program at a younger age, or simply isn't interested in the business management side of the the PGA program.

Edited by Parker19822, 25 August 2009 - 01:25 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors