Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Taylormade Matrix Ozik XCON 5.5

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChristianR

ChristianR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61060
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

I've bought a couple of this shaft in order to upgrade my retail shaft on Tour Burner drive and 3 wood.

They're new, but pull from R7 Limited I think.

Looking at the TM website, the shaft specs are in the middle of retail Xcon 5 and Xcon 6 from Matrix website.

Is this shaft really an Xcon or just painted by TM?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BigLeftyinAZ

BigLeftyinAZ

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8850
  • Ebay ID:clnconcpts
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

It is a watered down version of the real one.Specs are different and the torque will be different

#3 Gadster

Gadster

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21358

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I thought it was too soft.  I replaced mine with an XCon 5 but I did go up to a strong flex.  It feels much more stable.

#4 ChristianR

ChristianR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61060

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

Yes, torque is 3.1 versus the 4.0 of the Xcon5 and versus the 2.5 of the Xcon6. Weight is the same of the 5, 60gr.

My question was born after a little story told me by one of my friends.
He is near to become Pro at the end of 2009 season, and actually is sponsored by Titleist. He received a D2 with a Matrix Xcon by Titleist, but he felt something strange immediatly at first ball. So, he make some tests in a fitting lab comparing many shafts, and finally Matrix by Titleist appear to be a regular!
He ask Titleist and they said that under license of Matrix they produce this shaft in China...

So I tought that also my Matrix by TM has a similar story and you confirm.

#5 HCEG1

HCEG1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21395
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

View PostChristianR, on 11 March 2009 - 05:57 PM, said:

Yes, torque is 3.1 versus the 4.0 of the Xcon5 and versus the 2.5 of the Xcon6. Weight is the same of the 5, 60gr.

He is near to become Pro at the end of 2009 season, and actually is sponsored by Titleist. He received a D2 with a Matrix Xcon by Titleist, but he felt something strange immediatly at first ball. So, he make some tests in a fitting lab comparing many shafts, and finally Matrix by Titleist appear to be a regular!
He ask Titleist and they said that under license of Matrix they produce this shaft in China...

I'm late responding to this thread, but I had to look for reviews of this shaft.

I've recently picked up a Tour Burner TP with the Titleist/Matrix Xcon 5.5 'S' Flex I just cannot believe how soft it plays. I haven't had it checked in a lab, but it has to be  regular and also the torque feels loose around 4.0. All in all, a hugely disappointing shaft. I don't understand why such a 'High-End' manufacturer would produce such a piece of junk.

I'll replace it with a Graffaloy Blue I have in the garage.

#6 drewcatc

drewcatc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36227

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

I, along with at least one other person who works in the golf business, feel that the matrix shafts are labeled a bit weak to flex.  Their stiff is more like a regular+.  Look at their CPMs compared to others in the same flex.

I do play two of them in my hybrids and really like them, so I am not bashing the company, just stating my opinion.

#7 turnbowm

turnbowm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19962
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

View PostChristianR, on 11 March 2009 - 01:27 PM, said:

I've bought a couple of this shaft in order to upgrade my retail shaft on Tour Burner drive and 3 wood.

They're new, but pull from R7 Limited I think.

Looking at the TM website, the shaft specs are in the middle of retail Xcon 5 and Xcon 6 from Matrix website.

Is this shaft really an Xcon or just painted by TM?

The TM Matrix Xcon-5.5 is a "made for" shaft but, IMHO, one of the better OEM offerings.  Have always struggled with driver control because of my quick swing tempo/transition, but the Xcon-5.5 in the R7 Limited seems to hold up VERY well.  As always,YMMV.

FWIW, performed a shaft deflection test of the Xcon-5.5 Regular and found that it was actually STIFFER than the GD YS-6 Stiff in my back-up 983K.

#8 turnbowm

turnbowm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19962
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostChristianR, on 11 March 2009 - 05:57 PM, said:

FWIW, the torque for the Titleist Xcon-5 and Xcon-6 is 4.5* and 3.9*, respectively, versus 3.1* for the TM Xcon-5.5 Stiff shaft.

http://www.titleist....ult.asp?Filter=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors