Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Longest, low-spin driver?

61 replies to this topic

#1 shGGman

shGGman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56863
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

What is the longest, low spin driver?
I don't want a high spin driver that could increase the chance of slice/hook.

Im looking for forgiving 460cc, something that provides major distance improvement without losing control.

I currently use FT-i which broke in half AGAIN.
Im looking at FT-5 right now because I like the feel and sound of current FT-i.
I prefer a driver with relatively loud impact sound but not stupid loud like nike 5900.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ctonr

ctonr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54332
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

I've struggled with high spin with the driver for years.  j33r and FT-i Tour LCG both took care of that problem - FT-i being the more forgiving of those two.  The right shaft for your swing will make a huge difference in spin also.  You can find a j33r with a good shaft for pretty cheap these days.

#3 daydreamer

daydreamer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24655
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

my vote is the 909 D3 - it has a deep face, it's low spin, it looks beautiful, the face is super hot.  It's the longest and strightest driver I hit ever.

#4 Swingie

Swingie

Im not crying.....Im remembering with tears!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1996
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

J33 460 for sure, but it doesnt give you that loud sound you desire. The new Adams A4 is there also but doesnt sound as loud as you need tho...

#5 JackB1

JackB1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60541

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

View PostSwingie, on Feb 6 2009, 09:55 AM, said:

J33 460 for sure, but it doesnt give you that loud sound you desire. The new Adams A4 is there also but doesnt sound as loud as you need tho...

Another vote for the A4.  I think it has a perfect sound at impact.

#6 TourTECH

TourTECH

Mad Scientist...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32588
  • Ebay ID:ttechgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

The simple answer to that is "It depends on who is hitting it."
:russian_roulette:

#7 jcshil

jcshil

jcshil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55315
  • Ebay ID:jcshil

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

View Posttwiggyrob, on Feb 6 2009, 10:13 AM, said:

+1. I'm definitely not an expert on this subject, but from what I've read, the driver itself (low-spin or higher-spin) impacts the amount of backspin on the ball whereas the person that's hitting the ball (and their swing mechanics) impact the sidespin. Short answer - your swing is causing the lefts or rights, not the club. If anybody else has an opinion on this, I'd like to hear it as well. Let me know if I'm totally off-base there.

#8 jadedennill

jadedennill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55560
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Of course it depends on who's hitting it!  But, the fact is that some drivers are engineered to produce different launch characteristics.  He wants to know which of the drivers out there were engineered to produce low spin, but thanks for the insight on the same thing all of us have heard 1000 times. :russian_roulette:

As for the driver, if you like the FT-i, then stick with it.  Get a tour issue LCG, not the retail.  The LCG's are pretty cheap now and are very low spin.

#9 opus_mh

opus_mh

Caddy for Hire...Winning!!!

• 757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14124
  • Ebay ID:opus_mh1982
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

the two lowest spinning heads ive hit recently are j33r 460 and the cobra speed pro D.  i just ordered the new monster xls tour and hit the new cobra s9.1 D and both were very low spin.  The shaft will also help the spin.

cheers
Scott
Cleveland Classic 7.5 Motore Tour 3.2
Callaway XHP 13.5/17 Kai'li 80X
Adams A12pro 20 rip 105X
Taylormade TP MB/Mc 4-pw PXi 6.5
Cleveland 588 Rtx 2.0 54/6p* PXi 6.5
T.P. Mills Ming SS304/ Srixon Zstar XV

#10 dfegolfer

dfegolfer

dfwGolfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47576
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

View Postjcshil, on Feb 6 2009, 11:19 AM, said:

View Posttwiggyrob, on Feb 6 2009, 10:13 AM, said:

+1. I'm definitely not an expert on this subject, but from what I've read, the driver itself (low-spin or higher-spin) impacts the amount of backspin on the ball whereas the person that's hitting the ball (and their swing mechanics) impact the sidespin. Short answer - your swing is causing the lefts or rights, not the club. If anybody else has an opinion on this, I'd like to hear it as well. Let me know if I'm totally off-base there.

View Postjadedennill, on Feb 6 2009, 11:31 AM, said:

Of course it depends on who's hitting it!  But, the fact is that some drivers are engineered to produce different launch characteristics.  He wants to know which of the drivers out there were engineered to produce low spin, but thanks for the insight on the same thing all of us have heard 1000 times. :russian_roulette:

As for the driver, if you like the FT-i, then stick with it.  Get a tour issue LCG, not the retail.  The LCG's are pretty cheap now and are very low spin.

It is also my understanding like jcshil that when someone says low spin driver they mean backspin and not necessarily sidespin. So there is validity to what jcshil is saying here. The O/P asked for a low spin driver in the title, but says "I don't want a high spin driver that could increase the chance of slice/hook." I am not a spin expert so I am looking for experts comments on wheather low spin drivers also reduce side spin. I though loft played a bigger part in side spin characteristics.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 klausdude

klausdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5910

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

View Postblutoothed, on Feb 6 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

Im looking for forgiving 460cc, something that provides major distance improvement without losing control.

If you consider the FT-5, make sure you track down the LCG version. I had two of the T hosel  LCG's  before I got tired of hoing drivers. To date that has been the longest driver I've ever hit or owned. The only downside is you've got to find a shaft that works well in that head for you as they are finicky. Option 2 is to give the Nickent 4DX a look. This head is also very low spin but it is a little more forgiving and a lot easier to dial in. Hope this helps.

D.W.

#12 bradkv

bradkv

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3265
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

In my opinion, a low spin driver actually accentuates slices and hooks.  I say this because backspin generally reduces the severity of sidespin.  If you impart less backspin, you cannot offset directional spin in the same manner.  My experience, for my swing at least, is that I tend to hit higher spin drivers straighter, but lose tremendous distance because I am a high spin player.  For example, my current driver is the longest I've ever hit, but it is the lowest spin driver I've ever used.  I typically hit a lot of fairways, and hit it fairly long.  However, I had a 907D2 that I hit many more fairways with, but was about 20 yards shorter.  I would hit drives with the Titleist that started low/mid, ballooned a bit, and never moved sideways a whole lot.  This driver starts mid and sometimes high, but has very little backspin to fight off an error in face angle.  Long story short, in my opinion, you may gain distance with a low spin driver, but you will lose accuracy.
SLDR 430, 9*, Matrix 7M3 X
Taylor Made RBZ Tour TP, Motore F3 80X
Adams Idea Pro VST, JAVLNFX Mh9 X
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-PW, Tour Issue X100
Metal X Milled #9
Cobra Tour Trusty 50-54-60

#13 xtremeinaz

xtremeinaz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53134

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

You can try these guys, they have some long drivers and some at 6*, there must be very little spin with only 2* more loft then your putter.

[url="http://krankgolf.com/""]http://krankgolf.com/[/url

#14 stp

stp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1385
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

Lowest spin drivers out there are 9015d, 9016d, rapture v2, bul tour (about the lowest), burner v1, hibore xl tour. the new deep face speedline is supposed to be super low spin also.  the lower the loft the lower the backspin.

#15 marrigo

marrigo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44545
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hyper-x tour. There was some testing done in Golf Magazine a couple months ago and it was lower spin than several other popular drivers out there.

SLDR, 9.5*, 'ahina 60 S
TEE CB4 15*, Xcaliber T6S+
RAZR-X Tour 18*&24* Rombax 8D07HB
RAZR-X Tour 5-PW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x
Scratch 8620 54*&58*,C-Taper S+SS 2x
RAZR-X Forged GW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x

#16 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1012

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

View Postblutoothed, on Feb 6 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

I prefer a driver with relatively loud impact sound but not stupid loud like nike 5900.

Can't say my 909D3 will be the longest for you or anyone else, but it does the trick for me thanks to it's low spin design; sounds and feels great too.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#17 pocketfulladoubles

pocketfulladoubles

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37984

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

View Postdfegolfer, on Feb 6 2009, 09:59 AM, said:

I am not a spin expert so I am looking for experts comments on wheather low spin drivers also reduce side spin. I though loft played a bigger part in side spin characteristics.

I have a 7.5* 905s with a 80X Pype which is as low a spin as I have found so far, and it will slice and hook on you just fine. I'm not sure you're looking at this right ---> Launch monitor w/ lots of combinations.

#18 The Duck

The Duck

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34420
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

View Postmarrigo, on Feb 6 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

Hyper-x tour. There was some testing done in Golf Magazine a couple months ago and it was lower spin than several other popular drivers out there.

I have the Hyper X 8.5* tour open with a Pro launch Blue stick

Long and flat are the shots I usually hit. I have had to get tall tees to try to elevate the shots a bit.
I rarely crown a shot but it happens if I get a bit steep on the swing.
Easy to get 280yrds  even onto the wind.
Mishits for me are pull hooks but that is usually due to over swinging.
easy to hit a power fade with the Tour open face.

I agree that your swing better be good or the result is a curve. :russian_roulette:
I never get a balloon shot and the roll out is sometimes too far.  :rolleyes:

#19 The Boom Bapp

The Boom Bapp

Quick Tips are like Poisenous darts!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4918
  • Ebay ID:ACAIADVANTAGE
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Adams Speedline is very lower, Adams a4 XTD Insight 9015d and 16d are lowest IMO.

Ball makes a difference as well.

Softer Urethane covers spin most and have better compression.  Low ShoreD - ProV1, Nike Tour(Platinum), B330, Cally iX, TM Black.

Surlyn spins a little less in 2 or 3 piece compared to Urethane.

Harder 2 Piece balls no matter the cover spin less and fly higher.  High Shore D - Pinnacle Gold, Top Flite XL, Cally HX Hot, NXT Extreme.

Happy shopping.
Adams 9016d Proto 7.5*  DWB x tipped
Bridgestone J33 UTS V2 9090 x 15*
Mizuno MP- 33 KBS Tour X stepped
Nike VR Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

#20 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4795
  • Handicap:+2.3
  • Ebay ID:malloryfloyd
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

For me the 9015D has been awesome!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 JoeHatesSnow

JoeHatesSnow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52515

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

View Postbradkv, on Feb 6 2009, 12:27 PM, said:

In my opinion, a low spin driver actually accentuates slices and hooks. I say this because backspin generally reduces the severity of sidespin. If you impart less backspin, you cannot offset directional spin in the same manner. My experience, for my swing at least, is that I tend to hit higher spin drivers straighter, but lose tremendous distance because I am a high spin player. For example, my current driver is the longest I've ever hit, but it is the lowest spin driver I've ever used. I typically hit a lot of fairways, and hit it fairly long. However, I had a 907D2 that I hit many more fairways with, but was about 20 yards shorter. I would hit drives with the Titleist that started low/mid, ballooned a bit, and never moved sideways a whole lot. This driver starts mid and sometimes high, but has very little backspin to fight off an error in face angle. Long story short, in my opinion, you may gain distance with a low spin driver, but you will lose accuracy.

You're right, and it's not just your opinion, it's physics!  Also, most players won't just lose accuracy with a low spin driver, they'll lose distance as well.  Most players fall in the swing speed range that requires more spin to maximize carry and distance.  Now before everybody gets on my case about that statement, remember that there are many more golfers with driver swing speeds 95 and under than higher.

#22 shGGman

shGGman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56863
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

View Postbradkv, on Feb 6 2009, 10:27 AM, said:

In my opinion, a low spin driver actually accentuates slices and hooks. I say this because backspin generally reduces the severity of sidespin. If you impart less backspin, you cannot offset directional spin in the same manner. My experience, for my swing at least, is that I tend to hit higher spin drivers straighter, but lose tremendous distance because I am a high spin player. For example, my current driver is the longest I've ever hit, but it is the lowest spin driver I've ever used. I typically hit a lot of fairways, and hit it fairly long. However, I had a 907D2 that I hit many more fairways with, but was about 20 yards shorter. I would hit drives with the Titleist that started low/mid, ballooned a bit, and never moved sideways a whole lot. This driver starts mid and sometimes high, but has very little backspin to fight off an error in face angle. Long story short, in my opinion, you may gain distance with a low spin driver, but you will lose accuracy.

I actually read something like this in a magazine. backspin supposed to reduce the amount sidespin.
Eitherway, if your swing is horrible and you add tons of banana-peeling sidespin all the times, no driver is going to help.
I don't have slice/hook problem anymore. 8 out of 10 driver shots usually land on the fairway. I just don't want a driver
that "could" increase the chance.

So, let me rephrase my original post question.
what is the longest, and "Straightest" driver out there?

#23 macglock

macglock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15355
  • Ebay ID:macglocklen
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

Adams A4 of all the drivers I've hit

#24 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28664

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

They beat me to the point about spin earlier.  Many of the HMOI drivers and Square drivers are higher in backspin, although they have gotten better, which helps to keep them in the fairway.  But it is truly about what kind of specific swing characteristics you have and what works best for you.

#25 stopdog

stopdog

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39086
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Adams A4 9015D is super low spin and long for sure

#26 newk

newk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15373

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Nickent 4DX t-spec 8*

#27 kdmtuscani

kdmtuscani

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59115
  • Ebay ID:kdmtuscani

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

My vote for a low spin driver is Nickent's 4DX T Spec as well. It is very forgiving and sneaky long.

#28 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

Here's last year's Golf Magazine data for "Tour" drivers, make of it what you will.  Testing showed:

FT-i LCG   3104 Spin  224 carry    243 total yards                        
Hyper X     2951        228            260                                      
HiBore XLS  2906       223            247                                      
MP 600      2964        223            244
Burner TP   2942        229            252
907 D2       3188       226             245
TEE XCG     2882       223             246

The overall distances were the results achieved by the actual testers, not a machine.

If you're interested in the game improvement type drivers, let me know.  Hope this helps.

#29 matty1802

matty1802

matty1802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64801
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Old style Ping Rapture gets my vote massively long and very low spinning
SLDR 12* (set to 10.5*) Kuro Kage 60g X
Titleist 913 15* Aldila Tour Green 70g X
Ping G25 17* Aldila NV RIP'd 85g S
Titleist AP2 712 3-PW Project X 6.0
Titleist SM5 54* & 58* Project X 6.0
Ping Nome 33"

#30 EYEOMATIC

EYEOMATIC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23168

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

I would have to say that the Adams 9016D w/ an Aldila VooDoo Pype that I've been using is the lowest spin driver I have ever hit. If you can catch a firm, "hot" spot on the fairway, the ball just fires forward. I have hit some insanely long drives lately with this driver combination.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors