Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The King & The Bear

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43777
  • Ebay ID:Elvis42675
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Last July I went over to World Golf Village and played The King & The Bear and The Slammer & The Squire.  What lured me over there was the chance to see the Nicklaus display they had set up in the museum and the chance to play Jack & Arnie's course.  At the time King & Bear offered a rate of $115 to play all day w/cart, range balls, and breakfast and lunch included.  I figured breakfast and lunch would be a microwaved egg mcmuffin and a hot dog, but I was grossly mistaken.  Breakfast was anything off the grille menu...so I had three eggs over easy, bacon & ham, hash browns, toast, coffee.  Lunch was again almost anything off the menu...I had a half pound hamburger, fries, and a large pitcher of sweet tea - I apparently looked very unhealthy at lunch, as soon as I walked in the grille a concerned looking waitress asked if she could get me something to drink.  97 degrees and 95% humidity had me wanting to passout or puke more than once.  The clubhouse, pro shop, and the grille inside were all first rate...lots of Arnie and Jack stuff abound.  I acquired more than the usual souveniers - including three books on Jack & Arnie...one in particular tells quite a story about the wizzing contest that went on between Jack and Arnie while they were building the course.

The course itself was phenomenal, one of the more enjoyable rounds of golf I've played.  Even though they had punched the greens and fairways about ten days before, they had gone back and top dressed the entire course so everything rolled smooth.  Some of my favorite holes were 5, 8, 16, & 17.  I even managed a couple of birides at 10 & 12 only to give them back with a double bogey at the short 16th.  I originally thought Jack had done one side and Arnie the other, but actually the holes are intermingled.  Arnie's holes tend to have smaller fairways and large greens, Jack's have larger fairways and smaller greens.  The course also had a barrel of iced apples at the 1st and 10th tees, which I thought was neat.  To top it all off I was paired with three guys from out of town who turned out to be great playing partners.  Funny how that works out sometimes.  If you're in the Jax area and have the time, King & Bear is a great round of golf.

Attached Files

MacGregor VIP 1025M 3-PW / DG S300
Taylormade RBZ 10.5 / Matrix XCON 5 S
Cally X2 Hot Pro 15 /Aldila Tour Green S
Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo S
Cally Mack Daddy Two 52 / 58 DG S200
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors