Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Powerbilt Nitrogen Driver (Merged)

131 replies to this topic

#1 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28664
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

So is this club and infomercial destined to go down in the history books with The Hammer?  Is there really anyone on here who would hit this club or put it in their bag?  I know that Tina Miller said on her website that she steped away from the game for a while but would be interested to know her honest impresions of the club.  She pokes around on here from time to time, so I just want to know if she will be playing any of these Nitrogen clubs.

What makes me laugh about it, is the entire show taked about face thinness, trampoline effect, high COR...but it never really explained how Pressurized Nitrogen adds distance or value to the club.  So.....fess up, who has hit these and who would be caught with one in their bag?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BDLz

BDLz

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL AID!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21484
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

http://www.golfwrx.c...h...846&hl=BDLz

BDLz

#3 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

:lol:

Kinda late to the party.

#4 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

View PostBDLz, on Jan 22 2009, 02:44 PM, said:

I know that thread is active...I am asking for some Tina Miller feedback since she is on here on occassion, and I want to know others opinions on if the infomercial is destined to be like The Hammer and others.  Makes me wonder is Tina is hoping to land some more ad/marketing or television contracts.  I certainly would rather see her instead of the regular clowns on the GC.

BTW...good to see Samatha Head from Tina's season on the Big Break in the top 5 at the SunCoast tourney this week.  She is currently ahead of Paula Creamer.  I hope Tina could get something going on the course.

Edited by Pinehurst1999, 22 January 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Tinamillergolf

Tinamillergolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55810

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

View PostPinehurst1999, on Jan 22 2009, 02:47 PM, said:

View PostBDLz, on Jan 22 2009, 02:44 PM, said:

I know that thread is active...I am asking for some Tina Miller feedback since she is on here on occassion, and I want to know others opinions on if the infomercial is destined to be like The Hammer and others.  Makes me wonder is Tina is hoping to land some more ad/marketing or television contracts.  I certainly would rather see her instead of the regular clowns on the GC.

BTW...good to see Samatha Head from Tina's season on the Big Break in the top 5 at the SunCoast tourney this week.  She is currently ahead of Paula Creamer.  I hope Tina could get something going on the course.

Hello to All!

I am proud to say that I am endorsing the Powerbilt Air Force One Driver! I truly to love it...I will be at the PGA show in the PM of Demo Day and the PM on Thursday at the Powerbilt booth. Feel free to stop by and ask me questions about the club, my game, or just to trash talk ;) I will be nice...I haven't even seen the infomercial myself as I have just returned from Charlotte, NC...I will have to keep my channel on Golf Channel so I can finally catch it!

As for my career this year...I am getting married in Feb so my main goal is to walk down the aisle without falling, haha...I have been physically training hard the past few months doing HOT yoga, cycling and running. One of my goals for 2009 is to do a tri athlon...but after the wedding and honeymoon I will be out practicing, playing suncoast events, playing up in Canada and then if my game is in check- going to LPGA Qschool in the Fall. I am really itching to practice and compete and maybe taking an entire season away from the game was the best thing for me, only time will tell...

Thanks for the support! Come try the driver out for yourself at the PGA show...then we will see what all the forum golfers REALLY hit the ball like ;)

Tina

#6 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I know you did not touch golf clubs for quite a while, but make sure to play Quail Hollow when you return to Charlotte.  There are just so many nice and tough courses here and around Lake Norman.  Good luch with Powerbilt....I honestly can not understand how 150psi of Nitrogen in a club head will benefit a drive....and I am an engineer.  I hope you are able to land some more work on the Golf Channel if the playing does not go so well, you would be a GREAT improvement over most on there.  I also wish your wedding the best of luck, sorry that the Panthers lost in the playoffs in such a bad way, I am sure that you were there and greatly disappointed for Ryes (sp?).  

So the $ question from me is.........will you be dropping your driver for a Nitrogen Charged Powerbilt or not?  :bb2:

Good luck in Florida this year!   :beach:

Edited by Pinehurst1999, 26 January 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#7 MizunoHack

MizunoHack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20106

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Well i have a PowerBilt 2 iron that I really like. Other that that I have never heard of people using this brand.

#8 supernads

supernads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67240
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

The 150psi nitrogen is simply to help support the face of the club because the face is so thin that it cannot support itself during impact.  Apparently if you were to drill a hole into the bladder and swing, the face would be deformed.

#9 sdrem

sdrem

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41150
  • Ebay ID:sdrem
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

I don't find this on the USGA conforming driver list, and I don't see anything on their website that it conforms.  So what's up with that?
Cal. X2hot 10.5* Aldila Tour Blue
Callaway X2hot 17* Aldila Tour Blue
Ping G25   20*/ 23*  tfc189
Callaway Apex 5-AW/UST Recoil
Odyssey X-milled Versa #1, SS Ultra Slim
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 55*/60* ,KBS Tour V
WITB Link

#10 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

View Postsupernads, on Jan 26 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

The 150psi nitrogen is simply to help support the face of the club because the face is so thin that it cannot support itself during impact.  Apparently if you were to drill a hole into the bladder and swing, the face would be deformed.
Yeah...sound gimickie, I do not believe that at all.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I will reserve judgement until I hit one ...

I do not understand how some people cannot understand the logic behind the technology..... seems a damn clever idea to me ...IF IT WORKS!!!

mY SWING OF 90 MPH WILL BE REWARDED WITH PROPER COR !!

#12 bjdrivers

bjdrivers

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26228
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Just saw the ad on TGC about Powerbilt's new Air Force One drivers with 150psi of nitrogen injected into the clubheads.  Does this really boost the trampoline affect & COR or is it more bogus BS?

http://powerbilt.com/tech.php

Edited by bjdrivers, 27 January 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#13 m2daRizzle

m2daRizzle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58589
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

this has been covered in a couple other threads.  look there to see what everyones saying.

#14 Pinehurst1999

Pinehurst1999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostDouble Gee, on Jan 27 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

I do not understand how some people cannot understand the logic behind the technology..... seems a damn clever idea to me ...IF IT WORKS!!!

I understand the claim of what "the technoolgy does".  I just do not believe that it is a major difference like they claim.

#15 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

View PostDouble Gee, on Jan 27 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

you already get proper COR, it's not a factor of swing speed

if you get a COR of .83 at 115 mph, you'll get .83 at 80 mph

COR is a measure of how "springy" the face/golfball interaction is, and a spring does not change it's stiffness or springrate based on how quickly you compress it.  

the letter C in COR stands for co-efficient, a co-efficient is a constant factor that does not change

#16 bjdrivers

bjdrivers

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26228
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

my apologies, i looked before i started the topic, but didn't see them.  found them now, thanks.

Edited by bjdrivers, 27 January 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#17 AUCallawayGuy

AUCallawayGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66771
  • Ebay ID:achilliesduren

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

What a JOKE!

#18 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Prob about as good as this
Posted Image
9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#19 sds1610

sds1610

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10219

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

hahaha.. that guy is such a lemon!

#20 PingG10

PingG10

GS941

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42896

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

View Postharold baines, on Jan 27 2009, 02:38 PM, said:

COR is a measure of how "springy" the face/golfball interaction is, and a spring does not change it's stiffness or springrate based on how quickly you compress it.

the letter C in COR stands for co-efficient, a co-efficient is a constant factor that does not change

I think you might be incorrect there-according to the USGA's own work the COR decreases linearly with increasing clubhead speed.  See "Experimental Determination of the Effects of Clubhead Speed on Driver Launch Conditions and the Effects on Drive Distance for Balls Used by the PGA Tour", USGA Technical Report RB/cor2006-01 by Dr. Steven Quintavalla-it can be found here:
http://www.usga.org/...Publication.pdf

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

View Postharold baines, on Jan 27 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

Harold ... are you sure .... if you dont swing hard enough to compress the face then you wont get the correct amount of max COR .... for example, if i push hard on the face with my finger I wont be able to push the face or make it 'trampoline' ... will I ?

So realistically, a swing of 70 mph CANNOT possible ge t the same reaction that a 110mph swing does.

I may not be an engineer or student of physics ........... but it is hardly rocket science now is it ?

#22 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

thanks for posting that G10, that's a very interesting read

I was surprised on page 6, (table 3) that COR goes down as swing speed goes up, that's not what I would have assumed from my time with my nose planted in a book.  I guess you can't model a golf ball as a spring and be accurate since the compression/rebound of the ball involves a good bit of damping as well

#23 PingG10

PingG10

GS941

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

I was a bit surprised at first until I went back to my college physics and dynamics textbooks and refreshed my memory on elastic and inelastic collisions-makes sense now and maybe Powerbuilt is on to something regarding thinning the face to the extreme so that a larger percentage of the COR can be obtained at lower swing speeds.

Edited by PingG10 , 28 January 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#24 whitepatch342

whitepatch342

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70721

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

View PostDouble Gee, on Jan 27 2009, 06:12 PM, said:

Harold ... are you sure .... if you dont swing hard enough to compress the face then you wont get the correct amount of max COR .... for example, if i push hard on the face with my finger I wont be able to push the face or make it 'trampoline' ... will I ?

So realistically, a swing of 70 mph CANNOT possible ge t the same reaction that a 110mph swing does.

I may not be an engineer or student of physics ........... but it is hardly rocket science now is it ?

The infomercial explained. You are somewhat correct...No matter how hard you try a 110 mph swing will compress more than a 70 mph swing but they have different face thickness that maximize the compression for you. So a 70 mph swing would have a smaller face than a 110 mph swing.

I think everyone is a little quick to judge here. It definetly made a different sound than most drivers on the t.v. I wasnt convinced reading on the threads here but it looked great and it will deffinetly be on my list next year.

Edited by whitepatch342, 28 January 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#25 TM golf guy

TM golf guy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2827
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

View Postsdrem, on Jan 26 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

I don't find this on the USGA conforming driver list, and I don't see anything on their website that it conforms.  So what's up with that?

That is what I want to know.

#26 PingG10

PingG10

GS941

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I was reading the USGA clubhead test methods documents last night (yeah, I need to get a life!!!)-I'm wondering if the reason that PB hasn't shown up on the conforming driver list yet is because they are having some trouble meeting the contact time ("characteristic time") requirement in the head flexibility test-they may be in a situation where they need to "tune" the face thickness to gas pressure combination in order to not exceed the USGA "characteristic time" requirement that ensures conformity with Appendix II, Rule 5a?

#27 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

View PostTM golf guy 182, on Jan 28 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

View Postsdrem, on Jan 26 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

That is what I want to know.

I spoke with Karen at PB yesterday. This was a question that I have asked and it appears that they have been given the nod for approval and are awaiting formal confirmation.

The fact that it is the Orlando Golf shoe this week means they are all at the show getting ready. Apparently they are already ahead on sales and picking up more than they can handle, especially after amateurs have demoed them.

I have mine on order already to be shipped to the UK in 4 weeks. I love my Snake Eye and Voodoo combo, but if the AFO is longer and more foregiving etc  then BRING IT ON!! :clapping:

#28 bogeyjosh

bogeyjosh

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52592
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

i don't care about the driver, i just like looking at tina's website :wub:

#29 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

tina is cute - but the ONE that does it for me is Briana Vega from BB VI ... a big buxom wench ....  :heart: :tongue: :wub:

#30 Grum

Grum

★ Driven to Perfection ★

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17890

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

View PostDouble Gee, on Jan 27 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

you don't understand. max cor means, if a ball hits the club head at 70 mph it on the rebound it'll only achieve a certain speed(say its 120, for example, im not sure what it'll be). If you're achieving more than that its illegal, 100% without a doubt, no matter what swingspeed you have. The 'multiplier'(for lack of a better word or phrase), is a constant, it won't change. COR is COR is COR, it cannot be different from swingspeed to swingspeed.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors