Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Back weighting your putter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gawfman123

Gawfman123

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50864
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Balance certified golf has putter back weights, that you put in the grip to stabilize the putter.

Has anyone ever used this, and do you think it would really work??  Curious, because I think they have me snookered into it.

Thanks!!

http://www.balance-certified.com/

Edited by Gawfman123, 18 January 2009 - 06:24 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 nosil

nosil

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7992
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

View PostGawfman123, on Jan 18 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

Balance certified golf has putter back weights, that you put in the grip to stabilize the putter.

Has anyone ever used this, and do you think it would really work??  Curious, because I think they have me snookered into it.

Thanks!!

http://www.balance-certified.com/

Yep,  I have used it and it seems to work pretty well.  Jack was also know to backweight his drivers.  

If you want to give it a try to figure out what weight to use,  tape nickels on top of your putter grip.  That will allow you to figure out if it works for you and what weight to get.

#3 yoonie

yoonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23601
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

A lot of people do this w/ lead tape.  I had mine extended a little too much, and now plan to have it cut back down part of the way and lead taped to maintain the current weight.

#4 Spumoni

Spumoni

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9539
  • Ebay ID:kkjsoccer
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

It works.  My current putter has a #2 Balance certified in it.  I have another one with a #7.  Search on Balance certified more around here about it.    :clapping:

#5 DallasPanic

DallasPanic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20278
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Got fitted (and a good putting lesson at that) Saturday am at the PGA Tour Superstore in north Dallas.
Was curious to see if this really did work and was very suprised and happy with the results.
They had me stroke a number of 10 foot putts with a different backweight in (for every 3 putts) and while watching my putting stroke then made reccomendations and changed weight to see what works best for me.

I ended up going with the 110 gram weight and it feels incredible.

Really it feels like the putter should feel during the stroke.  All the weight is "balanced" throughout the club so the majority of the weight in not all in the putterhead and distributed all over thus making a much smoother, controlled stroke. It doesnt feel "heavy" and actually makes contact more solid throughout creating more feel.

As we spoke in the beginning of the fitting, i feel pretty comfortable with my stroke, line and reading greens, my speed control is my biggest concern that I want to adress. As told to me during the fitting, my speed control with benefit most from the back-weighting due the club being more balanced causing a more fluid, rhythmic putting stroke with a a lot more feel.  
And the best part with the 20 minute fitting and lesson the backweight with tax 32 and change. Not bad at all.

Also played with it the for the first time yesterday and on bad muni/dormant greens I didnt have any three putts, didnt miss any short ones and speed control was great all day.
Would highly reccomend this to anyone wanting to improve their putting!

Titleist 913 D3 9.5* Oban Devotion 6/05
Titleist 913fd 15* UST VTS TourSPX Red7
Bridgestone J40 18* Diamana 'Ahina X
Bridgestone J40 4-W KBS C-Taper
Miura MB-5002 48* DG S400
Miura Wedge Series 55* & 59* DG S400

#6 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49206
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Backweighting my putter was the second best thing I had done (getting fit with my putter was #1).  
I actually used a homemeade procedure using a clevis pin.  I had tried it for a few weeks before settling on the proper weight.  See attached for instructions if you wish to do it yourself.

My son was also fitted for a putter and did the Balance Certified thing.  Evidence showed better results at the right weight.

Attached File  cbhowto.doc   234K   806 downloads

#7 djl0657

djl0657

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70969
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have had a BALANCE CERTIFIED backweight in a now traded putter.  It worked well, but was too heavy and made my putter's headweight too light.

I also experiment with counterweighting putters with MALTBY brass weights.  I usually end up with two or so in a plastic sleeve in the grip end, I use them to control swingweight on the head end.  

Both of the above methods will make the overall weight of the putter heavier, BUT should help to improve the head weight and can be used to smooth your takeaway from the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors