Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best component driver head?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Baddeley

Baddeley

ShAnKaPoTaMuS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51874
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

what would be a good component driver head and shaft, for 15 year old with a swing speed 95-100 mph with a fast tempo.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 juicyjuice

juicyjuice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39325

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Go for the Geek Fail Safe 3 with what ever shaft fits you.  I have given up all of the big oems for the driver head, it is in my opinion the best driver going right now.  Again just my humble opinion because it works fantastic for me.  

Hope that helps out...

Juice

#3 Hairpie

Hairpie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4791
  • Ebay ID:harepy
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

Alpha reaction is a pretty good component head as well...

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm on the geek bandwagon.  Feels great.  Just bear in mind they're lower spin / lower launch so you may end up with a bit more loft than you think going in (plus the loft on the head is actually pretty accurate).  Their sweet spots are also a bit lower than most drivers.

#5 jowwy

jowwy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56509
  • Ebay ID:shaftshed

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

The snake eyes viper tour ( black) from golfsmith is a very nice head indeed - i have it matched up with the voodoo svs6 and its real nice

#6 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

Shaft is very dependent on your swing.  I've paired my geek with an accuflex creation 65 (higher launch with mid spin) and it works great for me.  My swing speed is right around yours at 100 mph.  You can get the creation for $39 from 2puttgolf.com.  He built my driver for me for $100 shipped.  The DCT 551 12* head is legal but all other lofts in the same head are not so they're dumping them for $59 (all geek vendors not just 2putt).  If you fall into that loft (launches like a 10.5) you could never beat that deal, especially for an experiment.

#7 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14575
  • Ebay ID:idrive400yards
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

IMO Either the GEEK DCT or FS3. You can't go wrong with either head. The cost isn't to shabby either. House of Forged makes a great shaft as well.

Mike

#8 Special_k

Special_k

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21195
  • Ebay ID:kevinng828

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

I've played the DCT, Infinity Propulsion, Alpha, Geotech and a bunch of other components.  My favourite is the Innovex Cfd.  Amazing ball speed numbers on the LM.  Paired with the right shaft you have yourself a very solid driver.

#9 Titleist #1

Titleist #1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71624

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Have gone the golf component route in the past SMT etc, not worth it in the end pickup a used driver ie Titleist 905R, Callaway FT-3, for under $200 or go with a new last years model from a vendor. A good quality component head is going to set you back at least $100, alpha over $200... The OEM's just give you better bang for your buck and you actually have resale or trade in value on your club. A great affordable shaft is The Adila NVS, also UST makes great affordable shafts but for my money i would stick to oem's you really dont save a lot by going with a component club.

#10 midwayj

midwayj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44818
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

Good point about how cheaply used or previous model OEM drivers are.  However, because they don't hold their value very well, used component heads can be found very cheaply on eBay and golf forums.  If you already know what shafts you like, component is the way to go.  You can order a shaft with OEM but you'll probably have to go with the latest models at full retail.

Edited by midwayj, 14 January 2009 - 11:59 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

GEEK here!

#12 sublimeflop

sublimeflop

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30199

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

GEEK!

#13 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

Titleist #1, on Jan 14 2009, 06:10 PM, said:

Have gone the golf component route in the past SMT etc, not worth it in the end pickup a used driver ie Titleist 905R, Callaway FT-3, for under $200 or go with a new last years model from a vendor. A good quality component head is going to set you back at least $100, alpha over $200... The OEM's just give you better bang for your buck and you actually have resale or trade in value on your club. A great affordable shaft is The Adila NVS, also UST makes great affordable shafts but for my money i would stick to oem's you really dont save a lot by going with a component club.

With all do respect, I don't know how you can say "The OEM's just give you better bang for your buck" To buy a OEM driver off the shelf right now sets you back anywhere between $350.-$600.00, then just after 1 year of use, you lose 1/2 or even more on trade in(if you went that route). You might not get the same trade in value with a componant, but what you WILL get is exactly what you want(hand picked loft/lie/face angle) the opportunity to speak DIRECTLY with the owner of the company, lifetime warranty(on most if not all componants). Try that with a major OEM.

Mike

#14 BEND OF THE RIVER GC

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2495
  • Ebay ID:jmcdyd
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

KZG Gemini or Gemini II.

They are really good.

#15 robb01

robb01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67754

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

Another vote for geek

#16 MikeBabjak

MikeBabjak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55626

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

Special_k, on Jan 14 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

I've played the DCT, Infinity Propulsion, Alpha, Geotech and a bunch of other components.  My favourite is the Innovex Cfd.  Amazing ball speed numbers on the LM.  Paired with the right shaft you have yourself a very solid driver.

The CFD is a great looking club as well!

#17 engofct

engofct

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21730
  • Ebay ID:taimac

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Wishon 919thi and KZG Q

#18 Titleist #1

Titleist #1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

idrive400yards, on Jan 15 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

With all do respect, I don't know how you can say "The OEM's just give you better bang for your buck" To buy a OEM driver off the shelf right now sets you back anywhere between $350.-$600.00, then just after 1 year of use, you lose 1/2 or even more on trade in(if you went that route). You might not get the same trade in value with a componant, but what you WILL get is exactly what you want(hand picked loft/lie/face angle) the opportunity to speak DIRECTLY with the owner of the company, lifetime warranty(on most if not all componants). Try that with a major OEM.

Mike

I play oem equipment because i know the company is going to be around 10 years from know and i know they help grow the sport at the college and elite amateur level buy sponsoring individuals etc. You do get what u want when you buy a component head, shaft etc, however lets compare building an alpha V5 head with a shaft to an Titleist 909 D2/D3. The head alone costs you $319 according to Alpha's website add any decent shaft and your over $450 dollars probably over 500 with a great shaft. So for 450 usually less at market price you get a name brand product with a premium shaft for the same price or less than the Alpha (i know their are other brands of components, but alpha is one of the best). So then i am playing a 500 dollar driver that half the people who look into my bag have never heard of. The component stuff is good quality but i have even heard club builders complaining about the rising costs of the components it makes it hard to compete.

#19 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Titleist #1, on Jan 16 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

idrive400yards, on Jan 15 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

Mike

I play oem equipment because i know the company is going to be around 10 years from know and i know they help grow the sport at the college and elite amateur level buy sponsoring individuals etc. You do get what u want when you buy a component head, shaft etc, however lets compare building an alpha V5 head with a shaft to an Titleist 909 D2/D3. The head alone costs you $319 according to Alpha's website add any decent shaft and your over $450 dollars probably over 500 with a great shaft. So for 450 usually less at market price you get a name brand product with a premium shaft for the same price or less than the Alpha (i know their are other brands of components, but alpha is one of the best). So then i am playing a 500 dollar driver that half the people who look into my bag have never heard of. The component stuff is good quality but i have even heard club builders complaining about the rising costs of the components it makes it hard to compete.

I do understand your point, to a point. Alot of the componant companies have been around for a while and have built up a very good following, hence the non-determining factor of them leaving anytime soon. Many componant companies ALSO sponsor individuals(longdrivers, amateur golfers, even PGA/Senior PGA/LPGA golfers) That comparison you did although from Alpha's website(you can get that head ALOT cheaper) and installing a "premium" shaft for that price is a little off. Now let me ask you this. Do you think that the OEM driver you buy from, let's say, GG actually has a premium shaft installed at that price they are selling at? I know for a fact it is not, otherwise you would be paying a hell of alot more for that driver. It might say Fujikura, Diamana, ACCRA, etc on it, but it's not the same "premium" shaft that you could buy seperately.

If what your afraid of is playing a driver that nobody ever heard of, then that's your perogotive. But not knowing exactly what you are getting is my main concern with OEM's. With componant heads, I get ACTUAL LOFT/LIE/FACE ANGLE, that fits my swing, not a crapshoot from off the rack. I used to hit Cobra and Callaway in drivers, but have since changed over to a componant, GEEK. I love the fact that I can call and speak to the owner, chat a little about anything and everything, order a SPECIFIC loft/lie/face angle/weight, and have it shipped to my door with those EXACT specs. He just doesn't do that for me, but for EVERYONE who orders thru him.

No OEM will ever do that for you EVER, unless you are in a college golf program and get the fitting done thru your school, or on tour. (amateurs cannot get "free" equiptment or sponsored from any manufacturer, if they do, they become professionals, college players have to pay for their stuff, albeit with a discount, but still have to pay, and cannot promote the product they use otherwise they lose their amateur status also)

I do not think that we will ever agree on this, so let's just say that we agree to disagree.

#20 Titleist #1

Titleist #1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

if you enjoy playing components than thats great whatever works best for you. And i am not under the impression that the "made for" shaft are the same as the retail shafts, they are however good quality shafts.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 VinceRKG

VinceRKG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20476
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Well, I would have to say KRANK. ;)

#22 stg113

stg113

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41948
  • Ebay ID:
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

I built a Golfsmith Python XL for a friend of mine and I hate to say it, but that head with Golfsmith's version Aldila NV made for shaft felt as good if not better than my Nickent 4dx/ Comp NT and my Taylormade Burner TP/60 By You.

I've got a Grafalloy Platinum shaft waiting for Golfsmith's next friend and family sale and a 9* Python XL.

He bought that kit for $89 during the Friends and Family Sale. That's dirt cheap.

Edited by stg113, 16 January 2009 - 08:15 PM.

Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14*  Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

#23 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

VinceRKG, on Jan 16 2009, 06:20 PM, said:

Of course you would Vinny, otherwise Lance would have your balls in a vice, lol.

#24 enduro

enduro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26249
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

If you have to have to go component  Geek is a good choice. A little pricey though given the current driver  market .

Cheapest option by far is to buy a used  or clearance  OEM .  You should easily  be able to find a good driver for $50 to $100. I just bought a rapture/Vs proto for $100  and have seen them go even cheaper.
Jetpeed 9.5/Kai'li
Callaway XHP 3w
Ping i15 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 3/4 - Kuro Kage 80
NikeVR 55, CallawyGW, Yes Laura
Mizuno MP52 4-pw/ Project X

#25 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 254

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

Exactly, you can get a Macgregor w/ an Aldila DVS for $70.  If you're a club builder components make sense, but at this point the cost-benefit ratio just isn't there in my book.  A good clubmaker can get my OEM clubs setup just the way I need them.  

I have never hit a component driver (with the exception of the Gemini, which hit a great ball) that looked, felt, and performed to the degree of a top OEM driver.  This includes Alpha and Geek (only an original FS though).

Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
Bettinardi FCB Proto

#26 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 254

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:45 AM

idrive400yards, on Jan 16 2009, 05:00 PM, said:

No OEM will ever do that for you EVER, unless you are in a college golf program and get the fitting done thru your school, or on tour. (amateurs cannot get "free" equiptment or sponsored from any manufacturer, if they do, they become professionals, college players have to pay for their stuff, albeit with a discount, but still have to pay, and cannot promote the product they use otherwise they lose their amateur status also)

I do not think that we will ever agree on this, so let's just say that we agree to disagree.

This statement is grossly inaccurate.  We need to get you up to date on the USGA's amateur rules...
Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
Bettinardi FCB Proto

#27 dasbill

dasbill

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54066
  • Ebay ID:pdasbill
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:08 AM

Wishon 919 Thi  and proforce v2 shaft great combination.

#28 MarkinTN1

MarkinTN1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34616

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

To answer your question, Wishon 919. If it were me for a 15yo, I'd get a $65 R7 or Cobra from one of the internet swapshops. Kids love the oems.

#29 evanseze

evanseze

Me & my better half

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8777
  • Handicap:4.6
  • Ebay ID:evanseze
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

I would look at an Adams A4 Tech (9015d) on Ebay.  You can pick up a new one for under $250 and a used one for a little less.  I have hit many OEM drivers and component heads including Geek and Alpha, and this driver is the best driver on the market right now hands down.  You also get a Matrix shaft that many say is comparable to the xcon (good shaft).  With your swing speed of 100 mph the stock stiff should work just fine for you, but fyi it is a lower spin driver and you might need to go up in loft.  Just my .02
Ping WRX G30 9* Veylix Rome 688x
Adams Xtd 15* 3 wood
Callway X2 Hot 19* Veylix Rome 988
Cb3 tour satin 4-aw RIP Tour 115s
Odyssey Backstryke blade SS 2.0
Ping Gorge 54* TP 60* atv Tpx ball

#30 VinceRKG

VinceRKG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20476
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

idrive400yards, on Jan 17 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

VinceRKG, on Jan 16 2009, 06:20 PM, said:

Of course you would Vinny, otherwise Lance would have your balls in a vice, lol.

Thats not the only reason....I have about every comp. head out there now, and I have hit them. We hit every weekend,and test everything else, so I know not only from results, but seeing the ball flight, ball speed numbers, spin rates, and performance. So...That said, Krank...LOL

You need to come to our event this weekend bro. We have a big field going on.....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors