Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PURING A GOLF SHAFT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boilerjack2000

boilerjack2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72184
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

Is it worth spending the additional $$$ to have a golf shaft pured?  I dont know what it is.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Tim Delgado

Tim Delgado

In Vino (and Golf) Veritas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3858
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

View Postboilerjack2000, on Jan 10 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

Is it worth spending the additional $$$ to have a golf shaft pured?  I dont know what it is.

The science behind it makes sense.  I have seen the computer readings that show how some shafts (even high-end) oscillate (sp?) differently when positioned differently.

My club guy does the computer "puring" for free whenever I have him put a shaft in that I purchased through him.  And when I brought him a Shaqx that I picked up on Ebay, he only charged me $20 for the puring and install with new grip.  Seemed very fair to me as the grip was $6 on its own.

It only takes him a few minutes to do.  I would think that most shops would do this for free if you are buying a shaft from them, and in that case it is a no-brainer.  It is nice to know that the shaft I am playing is the best shaft, optimally positioned, when you tee it up.

I cannot say what the dispersion-tightness loss is when a shaft is NOT pured, but it is interesting to see the differences on the computer when shafts are rotated around during the puring process.  It does seem like the real high-end shafts are more consistently logo-down than the mid-level shafts.  Matrix shafts are particularly consistent.  But I have a tour-issue Mitsubishi ShaqX that ended up "puring out" at logo 3:00, so it just shows that logo down is not always the optimum placement.

Bottom line is that I do it.  I figure that it certainly can't hurt, and may even help.

Tim

#3 youraway2

youraway2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

Additional Money $$$$ is vague, but $5-10 is a decent charge and worth it. “Pure”ing or “Spine”ing is worth the money but some suggest high handicappers (low club speeds) do not need this. I believe they are wrong and think puring is a necessary function. I have noticed high end shafts, such as a Matrix shaft, has a very finite spine and hard to locate if location is a possibility at all.

http://www.golf-tuit...it-amatuer.html

#4 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have had my driver and 3wd SST Pured and am satisfied with the results.
Here is a good topic on it.
http://www.golfwrx.c...h...c=207864=
one more
http://www.golfwrx.c...h...c=195353=

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 10 January 2009 - 05:53 PM.

9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors