Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

large gap between pw and sw

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cbgolf

cbgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41863
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Why do a lot of iron sets have such a huge gap between Pw  and Sw?
My set is a 12 deg difference and after looking around at some other specs a good number are at least 10 deg.
Is it so we have to buy a Gap wedge or is their some other reason?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 aytee

aytee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70014
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

years ago when I did my pga training a PW was 52 degrees and every club moved 4 degrees down from that making the 3 iron 24 degrees. In the quest to make people think their clubs hit further than others, certain manufacturers started reducing the lofts. Now it is just crazy, with a PW as low as 44 degrees. Obviously you can't move the SW too much from 56 otherwise no real short game, - hence the big gap. That's why a gap wedge is so called. It goes in the gap between the PW & SW. Didn't used to exist. Now a 3 iron is as low as 19 degrees in some sets and thats why the majority of golfers can't hit a 3 or 4 iron. Now there's a hybrid to go the other end. Take a look at Tom Wishon's book "Common Sense Club Fitting" he calls it the disappearing loft disease. OEM's trying to cheat you into buying their irons!!

#3 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4812

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

on the plus side, a lot of OEM's now are offering 4-GW iron sets as either standard or custom order. Next set of pings i get will be ordered as such. It's like playing an older set, only the numbers on the bottom are different
Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fujikura Fuel
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 hybrid/ PXv
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#4 MikeBabjak

MikeBabjak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55626
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Depending on what brand you will find PW's from 42-49 and SW's from 53-58.

I keep 4* in between each club 3-PW,GW,SW.

#5 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

As an above poster said.  It was to make the people that hit a 7 iron 130 yards think they hit one 150 yards.  I can hit my 49 degree pitching wedge about 125 to 130 yards with no wind, and dry condtions in the fairway. People say all the time I can hit my PW about 150 yards. That is because yours is lofted between my 9 iron and 8 iron.  That is why I play with old Ben Hogan clubs, or my Titliest set that I bought weak lofted on purpose.  Nike makes a blade with true lofts. You might be pleasantly suprised at how much better you play if you quit worrying about how far you hit it, and instead worry about how many strokes you take and improve on them. Take a club that gets it to the hole and dont worry about what the number that is on the bottom of the club.

Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#6 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

View Postjustaman5, on Jan 10 2009, 11:55 AM, said:

As an above poster said.  It was to make the people that hit a 7 iron 130 yards think they hit one 150 yards.  I can hit my 49 degree pitching wedge about 125 to 130 yards with no wind, and dry condtions in the fairway. People say all the time I can hit my PW about 150 yards. That is because yours is lofted between my 9 iron and 8 iron.  That is why I play with old Ben Hogan clubs, or my Titliest set that I bought weak lofted on purpose.  Nike makes a blade with true lofts. You might be pleasantly suprised at how much better you play if you quit worrying about how far you hit it, and instead worry about how many strokes you take and improve on them. Take a club that gets it to the hole and dont worry about what the number that is on the bottom of the club.

Great post, that's why they let us carry 14 clubs!

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#7 cbgolf

cbgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41863
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

Luckily for me(i guess) i just started out last year so i'm not used to the old lofts anyway.
My set actually starts at 4 with 23 and goes in 3 degree increments until i get to the 8 iron. I am going to get the AW soon.
I guess when you consider you can only carry 14 anyway it really not that big of a deal.

#8 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

View Postjustaman5, on Jan 10 2009, 05:55 PM, said:

As an above poster said. It was to make the people that hit a 7 iron 130 yards think they hit one 150 yards. I can hit my 49 degree pitching wedge about 125 to 130 yards with no wind, and dry condtions in the fairway. People say all the time I can hit my PW about 150 yards. That is because yours is lofted between my 9 iron and 8 iron. That is why I play with old Ben Hogan clubs, or my Titliest set that I bought weak lofted on purpose. Nike makes a blade with true lofts. You might be pleasantly suprised at how much better you play if you quit worrying about how far you hit it, and instead worry about how many strokes you take and improve on them. Take a club that gets it to the hole and dont worry about what the number that is on the bottom of the club.

Words of wisdom there.

#9 Jack lives here

Jack lives here

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2279
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

There should be no such thing as a gap wedge. A pitching wedge IS 52*.

The alternate view of course is, it really doesn't matter what is on the bottom of the club, so long as you know how far you can hit it.

If you are really trying to put a set together properly, my tip would be work out what your favourite shortest wedge is and then work up in 4* increments through the irons. You may end up with some "weak" lofts by todays standards, but a very consistent yardage gap between the clubs.

....food for thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors