Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

best cobra driver?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mjf5012

mjf5012

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

which cobra driver do you guys think is best. is it really that much longer than some others? are they easy to hit? anyone have the x speed with x flex shaft? thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hermes

hermes

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6651
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

i havn't hit htem yet but I plan on hitting them soon. right now i have a r5 dual and i'm  was thinking about the 454 comp or even one of the speed series.

let me know what ya think? or others?

#3 PT1911

PT1911

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11655
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:27 AM

I just bought a X-Speed with a stiff shaft and that thing feels SWEET!  IMO it swings great and the sweet spot is like the size of a frying pan.  ;)
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell + Fairway
Cobra Bio Cell Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Gorge Tour 54* & 58*
Odyssey Tour Black #9

#4 hermes

hermes

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6651

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

what's the biggest difference between the f speed and x speed! any other _ speed involved in this line up?

#5 mjf5012

mjf5012

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11017

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

there is the x speed, f speed, and m speed. they are each desgined for certain swing speeds. the x being for the fastest and M for like seniors. go to www.cobragolf.com to see the specs. i have seen that the 454 comp is $100 more than the speed series. I wonder why since it is older. any opinions?

#6 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

XX speed with an X shaft seems to be the best of all of them for me.  But you must get a 6.5 loft not the OEM 8.5 version.

#7 DiscountDansGolf.com

DiscountDansGolf.com

DiscountDansGolf.com

• Sponsors
  • 644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10103
  • Ebay ID:discountdansgolf.com

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

View Postsandy, on Feb 23 2006, 12:41 PM, said:

XX speed with an X shaft seems to be the best of all of them for me. But you must get a 6.5 loft not the OEM 8.5 version.

How is it that a 6.5 loft on any driver will be the loft of choice?  Who is it that should see the benefits of this loft??

Where do you go to buy one?

Just interested in the rest of the story on this one...

In my opionion the Comp driver 454 is the best shape, sound/feel, and probably the longest of the Cobra offerings...
WE ARE AUTHORIZED GREEN GRASS CUSTOM FITTERS OF ALL THE TOP BRANDS.

ALL CUSTOM OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND BUILT THROUGH THE MANUFACTURER TO YOUR EXACT SPECS!

WE ARE LOCATED AT THE HIGHLANDS GOLF CLUB IN HISTORIC GEARHART, OREGON ON THE SHORES OF THE PACIFIC.

ALL MERCHANDISE IS 100% GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC AND SUPPLIED BY OUR DIRECT ACCOUNTS WITH THE TOP BRANDS!

FOR THE LOWEST PRICES CALL US AT 1-877-738-5248 OR E-MAIL US AT SALES@DISCOUNTDANSGOLF.COM!

WWW.DISCOUNTDANSGOLF.COM

Posted Image

#8 animalistic

animalistic

7th Hole Ballybunion !!

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9000

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

View Postsandy, on Feb 23 2006, 08:41 PM, said:

XX speed with an X shaft seems to be the best of all of them for me.  But you must get a 6.5 loft not the OEM 8.5 version.

seriuosly???6.5???is the ball flight that high with the 8.5??
sounds kinda weird but id like one[X speed] to mess with... personally i think the other ones are fine for mid high hcap but are unusable for low hcaps[no feel workability etc].....i think the head would be quite light in the x speed so how bout putin a 95X V2 in it with a 6.5loft, swingweight around D4 or D5...few layers of tape under the grip and you could make it an interesting club.....!!!its the only way id use one of them!!!
any1 have any other ideas 4 pimpin the cobras.....???!!!

#9 Gallery_mbkir_*

Gallery_mbkir_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

if you're married to the cobra brand, play the comp they have.  all the new stuff doesn't test nearly as good.  all those 9 points aren't so grand.  the old stuff is better, and it looks a little better too

#10 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• 18,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1700

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

My bro in law plays his Comp and won't give it up for anything.  Of course if I hit it 295 down the middle I guess I woudn't trade either!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Bill3508

Bill3508

Tour Winner

• 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10888
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

I've swung the speed series and don't really like the feel, plus they sit extremely closed.  I currently play the SZ400 and SZ440 and love both of them.  Both and long and straight, much more so than my 905T.  The 400 has a UST Irod in stiff flex and the 440 has the NV 65 X flex.  The 400 has a medium high ball flight while the 440 has a low-medium low ball flight with the NV.  Both hit the ball as straight and far as anything I have every tried.  I would like to try the 454 Comp and will pick one up eventually, but the prices are still fairly high.

Bill3508

Edited by Bill3508, 23 February 2006 - 09:41 PM.

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

#12 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• 4,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

View PostDiscountdansgolf.com, on Feb 23 2006, 03:49 PM, said:

View Postsandy, on Feb 23 2006, 12:41 PM, said:

XX speed with an X shaft seems to be the best of all of them for me. But you must get a 6.5 loft not the OEM 8.5 version.

How is it that a 6.5 loft on any driver will be the loft of choice?  Who is it that should see the benefits of this loft??

Where do you go to buy one?

Just interested in the rest of the story on this one...

In my opionion the Comp driver 454 is the best shape, sound/feel, and probably the longest of the Cobra offerings...

All the other Cobra drivers hit the ball way too high for my swing.  I'm a past LDA participant who even at an advanced age still needs a low loft.  I can still turn 120+ mph higher lofts just don't do it.  I've owned 4 and 6 degree Cobra 427 Tour drivers and most recently 5 and 6 degree 450 SZ Tour drivers.  You must get the lower lofted heads from the LDA Tour department at Cobra.  You must know someone to get those lower lofted heads.  The XX Speeds are definitely square to open while even the X Speed appears to be slightly closed even though the literature claims not.  For me the 6.5 XX Speed in X Fuji shaft far outdistances the Comp driver.  JB Holmes would disagree I guess.

Edited by sandy, 23 February 2006 - 09:48 PM.

#13 ce_me_golf

ce_me_golf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6790

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

View Postmjf5012, on Feb 23 2006, 09:43 AM, said:

which cobra driver do you guys think is best. is it really that much longer than some others? are they easy to hit? anyone have the x speed with x flex shaft? thanks

I brought a Cobra 460 SZ driver last year that I'm very happy with it. I tried the Ping G2, Nike Ignite, Cleveland Launcher and several others. I can just hit this club consistently straight compered to the other clubs.

I also own Cobra SZ fairway woods and Baffler hybrids that I'm happy with.

I haven't tried the new Cobra drivers but we have a demo day comming up at a local driving range and I'll probably check them out.

#14 golf2da

golf2da

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 827

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:35 AM

I went to demo days and hit the Cobra longer and straighter than any of them. At that time the Cobra 454 Comp had just came out so that is what i bought. I have been searching for the driver that could get me over 300 yards and this one did it. Not often but when i hit it right it out performs any driver i have hit. I have not tried the x series so i can not make any comments. The launch monitor showed that i needed a 10.5 regular flex so that is what i bought. I could not keep it in the fairway and it was awful short. I carried it back and got a 9 degree stiff and it made all the difference in the world. Long and straight. Still not much height. I am waiting until the aldia vs proto comes out and i am looking at changing the shaft and see what it will do for me.

#15 zzmkdw

zzmkdw

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8036
  • Ebay ID:beincarnation

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

I have had three cobra drivers.  My first one was the SS427.  My second was the 414 comp tour and my third and most recent is the F-speed.  The 427 and Fspeed are about equal in length, I average about 260 (actual avrg) with both.  The 414 is still very long, but it launches extreamly high and the feel with the stock fujikura is a bit boardy.  I like the way the 414 sets up better than the rest, but the result and consistency with the Fspeed or 427 are hard to beat.  

I have had taylor made R6 TP, Titelist 905 T, Mizy MP001 and Bridgestone J33R's but I always end up returning to the cobra.  They are stupid easy to hit and consistently long and straight.  If you can get past the loud something just exploded sound and the fact that they set up pointing toward the fairway behind you, you will love them.  

The comps are a bit more muted in sound, but I would still recommend the speed series, if only for the feel.  I couldn't really feel anything when I hit the comps...good, bad or otherwise.

#16 Hrocks

Hrocks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7101
  • Ebay ID:Originalhrocks
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

Have been using various Taylor Made drivers over the years, latest being an R5 (D) with a stock regular shaft.  I had hit it fairly well, occasionally flirting with 280-290, but realistically 250-260. Pretty forgiving except when I got a little fast, then banannarama.  Long story, was visiting my father in law last winter in Fla. and went to the range.  Noticed he was hitting my old 580XD and not his brand new 414 Comp.  (9* stiff Mitsu stock shaft).  Not surprisingly with his 70 MPH swing speed, that Cobra had to feel like a hunk of steel with no flex.  Gave him my "new" 10.5 Reg R5 to try.  He was grinning from ear to ear.  Told me he never hit a driver so well.  I hit his 414 Comp and couldn't believe how dagone far and straight I was hammering it on the range.  It was a match made in heaven, a classic case of a win-win swap.  He tells me that he's been sleeping with that driver since we did the deal!  I got lucky finding this particular 414 Comp/shaft combo.  I think it's got more loft than 9*, but however the components worked out, it's a great setup for my swing.  Played it most of last season, and 4 rounds in January here in Northern Ohio.  Even in 50* weather was booming past last years best drives on the fly.

#17 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

Had a 400SZ Tour which a buddy tried and never gave back. I was so deadset on getting a X Speed. The shape is just too ugly. I will try to see what the 454 comp looks like and I will pick that one up unless I can find the ever elusive 450SZ Tour.

#18 supersons

supersons

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 790
  • Ebay ID:sonsoftherock1872

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:53 AM

I have just picked up an x-speed, came with the stock fuji xx speed shaft.

The head is very big which puts me off a bit but it does go a long way but any off line hits makes it go wild as the spin on the ball makes it a lot worse.

I have removed the stock shaft and put a Fuji six in it, will give this a try today and hopefully get better results.

#19 ce_me_golf

ce_me_golf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6790

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

View PostBill3508, on Feb 23 2006, 08:40 PM, said:

I've swung the speed series and don't really like the feel, plus they sit extremely closed.  I currently play the SZ400 and SZ440 and love both of them.  Both and long and straight, much more so than my 905T.  The 400 has a UST Irod in stiff flex and the 440 has the NV 65 X flex.  The 400 has a medium high ball flight while the 440 has a low-medium low ball flight with the NV.  Both hit the ball as straight and far as anything I have every tried.  I would like to try the 454 Comp and will pick one up eventually, but the prices are still fairly high.

Bill3508

I play a Cobra SZ 460 with an Aldila NV 65 regular shaft. I just love the consistency and ball flight I get with this club. I've tried the Ping G2, Cleveland Launcher 460 and Nike Ignite. When I'm able to square the clubface I can really bomb the Ping G2 and Nike Ignite, the problem is I just can't get the accuracy out of those clubs that I get with the Cobra SZ 460.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors