Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you tell a Ping Eye 2 from a Plus no Plus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wedge1

wedge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45005
  • Ebay ID:winejody2005
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

Since the Eye 2 plus has a "+" sign in the cavity, it is easy to recognize.  If a set is advertised as a plus, but has no plus sign, how do you tell if it is a "plus no plus"?  The seller says the irons have the KT-M shaft.

Thanks...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

The grind on the wedges is obviously different on the +, so the + no + would have the new grind on the wedges, right?

#3 wedge1

wedge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

I did a little digging comparing pics...  The regular Eye 2 has a noticeable smaller line on the back toe side.  The pics of the clubs I won on ebay are clearly what I see in the Eye 2 Plus...just can;t make out the "+".  The pics are not too good so it could have just been missed...or it is a Plus No Plus.  

Before tonight, I did not even know there was a Plus No Plus.  Go figure.

#4 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

The Eye2+ and the + no + are exactly the same when you look at them. The sole grinds are identical, everything is the same except obviously the + no + doesn't have the + in the cavity.

The Eye2 has a more squarer look to it, and the sole is different than the Eye2+.

If you go to Ping's website and click on Classic irons and click on Eye2+'s, it will explain the differences.

Many people swear that the + no + is the holy grail of Ping's clubs, that they feel way better than the Eye2+, and that even though they're similar, they are very different. JMHO, but that simply isn't true. For all intent's and purposes, the Eye2+ and the + no + are essentially the same clubhead.

#5 blkdiamond

blkdiamond

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44083
  • Ebay ID:joshua_1979
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

Regretfully I sold my Ping Eye 2 +no+ set about a year ago.  The best way to verify if you do have a +no+ set is to contact Ping with the serial number, they will give you the manufacture date and if they truly are +no+.

#6 Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11807
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

First of all the eye2 sq grooves are being listed on ebay by some sellers  as "eye 2 + no +'s which  is not correct .The eye 2+ no + have a different pat number than the new eye 2+'s. Both models  the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

Edited by Redsoxfan, 09 November 2008 - 11:29 AM.

#7 robb01

robb01

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67754
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

View Postblkdiamond, on Nov 9 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

Regretfully I sold my Ping Eye 2 +no+ set about a year ago.  The best way to verify if you do have a +no+ set is to contact Ping with the serial number, they will give you the manufacture date and if they truly are +no+.

This is probably the best way to really know.

#8 caryk

caryk

Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!!! ;)

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4000
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

View PostRedsoxfan, on Nov 9 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

Both models  the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

That's incorrect.  I have a mint set of PING Eye2 +No+ irons (1-LW) that I ordered with the KT shafts back in March of 1990.  PING verified the serial number for them is indeed for the +No+ model.  The +No+'s were only produced for, I believe, a 3-4 months period before PING and the USGA settled the square groove controversy.  The +No+ is essential the Eye2+ model (scalloped sole) with the older Eye2 square grooves.  PING added the "+" to the cavity as a means to identify the newer Eye2+ models as having the revised square grooves (per the USGA agreement).

#9 wedge1

wedge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

Good information.  What Iw as really looking for was just telling the clubs apart from a picture that is not clear enough to show the writing in the back of the cavity.  From what I have researched, I can see the Regular Eye 2 has a definite difference in the shape when viewed from behind.  The Eye 2 Plus and the Plus no Plus look the same.  The shape of the ones I bought is the same as the plus which matches up with what the seller is saying.
    I'll just have to wait and see when they arrive whether they are plus or plus no plus.  They have the KT-M shaft.  I have been able to find out zero about the characteristics of those shafts.  It probably won't matter though...if they heads check out...I'll probably send them back to Ping to re-shaft with DGS300 or ZZ65 and get them re-tumbled.

#10 Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11807
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

View Postcaryk, on Nov 9 2008, 12:50 PM, said:

View PostRedsoxfan, on Nov 9 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

Both models  the older sq.grooved eye2's and the eye2+no+'s did not have the KT or the KT-M shaft avaiable at the time they were produced.If it has the KT shaft it was reshafted at one time.All of the eye2's are still great playing irons.

That's incorrect.  I have a mint set of PING Eye2 +No+ irons (1-LW) that I ordered with the KT shafts back in March of 1990.  PING verified the serial number for them is indeed for the +No+ model.  The +No+'s were only produced for, I believe, a 3-4 months period before PING and the USGA settled the square groove controversy.  The +No+ is essential the Eye2+ model (scalloped sole) with the older Eye2 square grooves.  PING added the "+" to the cavity as a means to identify the newer Eye2+ models as having the revised square grooves (per the USGA agreement).

I beleive the Kt shaft was made for the zings,then changed to the kt-m which had a stronger tip because the weight of the toe on the zings were causing the shafts to break on the kt shafts.I would call Ping to verify this.The + no + model was built for 6 months as a new model,but Karsten changed the grooves to meet the USGA regulations.He then added a + to the cavity.But to get back to the original question the eye 2's and the eye2+ heads are completely different. Different lofts,grooves soles and size.Go to Pings web site and see the difference.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors