Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

iGolf releases v3 of their Neo sync software - Mac version still woefully poorly packaged.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56638
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

I just received my iGolf November newsletter via email last night where they now proclaim 'iGolf Neo is now Mac compatible', and thanks for the feedback.....

* Mini Review of the Mac version. *

The packaging of the software appears to be done by a 10 year old. More details to follow.
The folder itself still identifies itself as a Beta version.
NO Mac conventions were followed so it's an ugly two part install that is totally non standard.
Still requires the end user to move the downloaded folder after extraction to a real home (Applications or Utilities).
Instructions say it's for Mac OSX (10.x) , however decoding the filename It appears to be for 10.4 and above.

Here's what I wrote to them when I was first sent the 'Beta' link back on October 8 (exactly a month ago)  and NOTHING has been changed to make it more user friendly for the masses. A few sentences have been removed, but no other editing.

Subject:     iGolf sync v3 beta feedback.

Gents,
You got serious work to do on this stuff. For starters here are a few tips.

The web page section that shows instructions should not download a pdf file. There should be an option to show the windows or mac version download instructions in just straight html. I downloaded the instructions, and what 'meaningful' file name was given ... none. The file was merely called instructions.pdf. Very poor. A new user would have no clue what file to look at a month down the road.

In referring to the Mac download, here are a few more comments. ( I use both Windows and Mac's )

The instructions should state:

the minimum OS requirements to run on a Mac. Such as 9.X, or 10.X.X.
step 6 at a minimum should state the full filename plus extension .dmg.
the fact that a restart will be necessary should also be stated.

Continuing.

there should not be a zip file at all. It should download as a .dmg file extension only, and within that 'disk image' should be all the files necessary to install your application.

the dmg file should have a meaningful filename. From what I've deciphered, it looks like it's a universal binary, that runs on OS 10.4 and newer. But the start of the filename should be something like 'NeoSync v3 beta ...dmg'

The screen that is opened by clicking on the disk image should show 3 items. The application itself, a shortcut to the 'applications' folder on a mac, and a text file showing instructions or any more information you want relayed to the end user.

I haven't actually attempted to use the app yet, but I'll let you know my comments after doing so.

If you've actually gotten this far, here's one more bit of advice. If you actually go to the trouble of launching my email program, as well as putting in your email address, you should also create a meaningful Subject title, so you're not wading through feedback for this beta, as well as other development emails I'm sure you get.

Wayne.

PS. I don't normally give 'free' advice, because it's not worth anything to you. If you had to pay, you might listen more.

****************************************** End of email to iGolf.

My PS. to them is so true. Not a single thing changed. I don't believe I was ranting, and feel the above were constructive comments.

I think the Neo is such a great piece of hardware, and for iGolf to really capture more of the market, by increasing their overall user experience they would end up doing so.

Edited by A874, 08 November 2008 - 07:15 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mizzy4

Mizzy4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54813
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

That's a shame. The Neo is such a great product. I agree with everything you had said to them. I'm on 10.4 and I can't get it to work.

#3 Minja

Minja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32658
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

Hi Wayneo - I just installed the latest version of the sync software on my Macbook Pro.  The problem I am experiencing is the status keeps displaying "Searching for Device".  The Neo is connected via USB and powered on.  Did you have the same problem?

I just wrote tech support but thought I'd ask you.  Thanks in advance for your help.

#4 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56638

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

I'm also running the latest sync software v3 on a MacBookPro at OS 10.5.6

I do NOT have the same issue as you. I am running v2.0 on my Neo. The only issue I'm having is that some of the files do not transfer all 18 holes of a course file. This was previously mentioned in another thread. This occurs both on my Mac and on my PC. Other users have mentioned it's due to 'user' mappings or customization (changing points) but I've not done that much analysis. I merely downgraded my PC back to the old version of the sync software. Whenever I load via the Mac now I always power up the Neo, say play the course I just loaded, and then check that hole #18 is available although the points all register 999.

Good luck with your call to Tech support.

#5 SlapShotGolfer

SlapShotGolfer

Read it, Roll it, Make it

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34880

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Anyone fix their igolf/sync problems on macs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors