Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Yardage books

46 replies to this topic

#31 tbish080

tbish080

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79276
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Deerslayer, on 11 November 2008 - 01:25 PM, said:

I make yardage books for my son and his golf team.  I use a combination of google earth, yahoo maps, mapquest and geo science for sattellite photos depending on which of that particular course is best.  I keep all my files, so alot of the courses they play I already have a book for.  I personalize each one also.  Here are a couple of examples and I will also show you a print layout that you can print all 18 holes, with a green layout above.  Printing double side on cardstock, you can make an 18hole booklet on five sheets of paper.  Finished product is smaller than a scorecard, fits easily in your back pocket AND plenty of room to write your OWN notes for the hole as well as the green.
Here is the layout sheet to layout and SAVE AS AN IMAGE FILE.  You then use Microsoft Publisher and insert the one picture on page one and insert and the next on page two and it will be rotated upside down.  When you print them, they print front back like the master I show and you construct the book by folding the center card (hole 9) and then 10 and so on.  It will make a perfect book printed front and back with the corresponding green above the hole diagram.  This one, instead of using google earth, I called the scorecard manufacturer and that did the course and they sent me files of the holes they printed minutely on the scorecard.  I blew them up to make the books.  

These books finished end up being 3-1/4" wide by 5" long and just over 1/4" thick when you use card stock.
NOTICE THE CORRESPONDING GREEN ABOVE THE HOLE IS NUMBERED ON THE MASTER SHEET so when stapled together, you have the right green above the right hole.

Posted Image

You will notice ONLY #9 Green is printed above the #9 Hole. There is a pattern that you will see when you put the book together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what the google earth or satellite captures that I make look like (different course)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a cover I do for them.  Everyone has a cover with their name
Posted Image

You cut down the center between the holes and trim the left over top or bottom.  I will attach a quick sketch how to put the book together with only 3 staples
Posted Image

Here are some bad phone pictures of the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I love the work that you've done here, I'd love to be able to make my own yardage books, the only problem is that I live in very small town and the google maps pictures of bothof the courses in my town do not show up very well. Any suggestion about where to look to get good quality images like you've found?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 frazzled924

frazzled924

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204593
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Try Flash Earth - http://www.flashearth.com/   -  or Bing.com for other aerials

Edited by frazzled924, 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#33 Bigap10

Bigap10

LeftyAP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37619

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

For me,
When I play practice rounds for a college tournament, I typically divide the green into 4 quadrants and find the zero line (straight uphill putt) for each quadrant. Then put where a good place to miss the green would be to each zone. Also notes on the green and contours for each. Also I leave a note about what club to hit off the tee and where to put it off the tee for the best angle to each quadrant of the green. Also adjustment for yardages if the hole is elevated and such.

#34 dgould91

dgould91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120694

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Green Valley, on 04 November 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Deerslayer, on 11 November 2008 - 01:25 PM, said:

I make yardage books for my son and his golf team.  I use a combination of google earth, yahoo maps, mapquest and geo science for sattellite photos depending on which of that particular course is best.  I keep all my files, so alot of the courses they play I already have a book for.  I personalize each one also.  Here are a couple of examples and I will also show you a print layout that you can print all 18 holes, with a green layout above.  Printing double side on cardstock, you can make an 18hole booklet on five sheets of paper.  Finished product is smaller than a scorecard, fits easily in your back pocket AND plenty of room to write your OWN notes for the hole as well as the green.
Here is the layout sheet to layout and SAVE AS AN IMAGE FILE.  You then use Microsoft Publisher and insert the one picture on page one and insert and the next on page two and it will be rotated upside down.  When you print them, they print front back like the master I show and you construct the book by folding the center card (hole 9) and then 10 and so on.  It will make a perfect book printed front and back with the corresponding green above the hole diagram.  This one, instead of using google earth, I called the scorecard manufacturer and that did the course and they sent me files of the holes they printed minutely on the scorecard.  I blew them up to make the books.  

These books finished end up being 3-1/4" wide by 5" long and just over 1/4" thick when you use card stock.
NOTICE THE CORRESPONDING GREEN ABOVE THE HOLE IS NUMBERED ON THE MASTER SHEET so when stapled together, you have the right green above the right hole.

Posted Image

You will notice ONLY #9 Green is printed above the #9 Hole. There is a pattern that you will see when you put the book together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what the google earth or satellite captures that I make look like (different course)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a cover I do for them.  Everyone has a cover with their name
Posted Image

You cut down the center between the holes and trim the left over top or bottom.  I will attach a quick sketch how to put the book together with only 3 staples
Posted Image

Here are some bad phone pictures of the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

^ probably the coolest thing i have seen. great work! i hope i can do this!
This is crazy impressive

#35 Boom_Boom_28

Boom_Boom_28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72648

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Deerslayer, on 11 November 2008 - 06:44 PM, said:

I have been getting some PM's, so here are the steps and programs that I use;  You can do this without buying any special program if you want.

A good program to capture holes on any of the satellite sites like Google Earth or Yahoo or Mapquest is:

Download MWSnap3  
(you can download that program free)

I capture the holes with that software, save each hole as a jpeg file.
Trim each hole in Photoshop or MS Paint and save the trimmed hole file.
I use Photoshop and bevel the edges and add a drop shadow,  and capture a closeup of the green as well and save it seperately
I then have saved a blank of each sheet that only has the legend and hole number in full size 8.5x11 just as you see them for each front and back pages 1-5 (10blanks) One each of these, I just enter the fields of: Par & Distance, insert the trimmed hole .jpeg file and the green that belongs above.  Hole 9-9green, hole 10-8green is above, hole 11-7 green is above, 12- 6green above and so on
Save each sheet as a new .jpeg Numbers the files 1f, 1b, 2f, 2b, 3f, 3b, 4f, 4b, 5f, 5b (1-5 front & back)
Insert each of these sheet .jpegs in MS Publisher to make your front / back files.  
You will end up with 5 publisher files.....1-5 that has a front and a back.  The back will be rotated upside down as you see on the master
Cut them out and fold #9 in on itsef. Folow with 10 through 18.
#9 being the center, 10 wraps around 9 and so on.  This will make the corresponding green be shown above your hole diagram.
You can do a simple circle for the green and hand draw the slopes and green depths if you want.
Unfold the book out flat and using a stapler sink 3 staples in the books spine.  Open the book to #9 and bend the staples flat.
I fold the books back and hammer the spine to flatten the book so it stays closed

Deerslayer,

Do you try and size your pictures to a specific dimension so they fit on the page?
Also curious what type of paper you experimented with if any and if you ever laminated them?

Thanks.

#36 rflores2323

rflores2323

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199154
  • Ebay ID:rflores2323
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Yes I was thinking the same thing on the laminating part.  That way we can mark them for a specific tourney and after reuse them again.

#37 GoAromando

GoAromando

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247089
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

rflores2323, on 13 January 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

Yes I was thinking the same thing on the laminating part.  That way we can mark them for a specific tourney and after reuse them again.

1st - I saw this post last year and it helped my daughter's tournament play more than anything I have seen on the Internet.  Thank you Very Much.

2nd - I tried a few different paper combos.  I found it best for her to use Card Stock for the cover pages and regular copy paper on the inside pages.  During practice rounds she uses her scoring pencil and makes notes.  I make 2 copies (I for her & 1 for me).  During rounds I will make notes of her shots.  Then before the next round we review both of our notes and make a plan.  They don't last forever, but cost wise I can make as many as I want.  I keep a digital file of each so I can reproduce on the next visit to each course.  Additionally we keep all the used books for future reference.

#38 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

300 YARD DRAWS AND 10 LB HOOKS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 1011

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Best I have found.

#39 tommy89

tommy89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176874
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

Really must have a crack at this
Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

#40 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

I use a combination of Google Earth and Inkscape.

When we actually start playing again I will sketch in the green contours as well.

Posted Image

Epic SZ 10.5* - Rogue Silver 70x
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F7 Single Lengths 4-PW
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 tommy89

tommy89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176874
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

How did ya do that? It looks amazing. How could i do something like this on a Macbook pro with photoshop elements and next to no knowledge in this sort of area. My home course doesn't have yardage books and i've been trying to work out how to make on ever since

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

#42 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

300 YARD DRAWS AND 10 LB HOOKS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 1011

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Here are a few pics of the yardagebook my son uses.

[attachment=2070597:002.JPG]

[attachment=2070599:003.JPG]

#43 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
GolfWRX Likes : 1732

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

The link I used to have to the company that made those books is now dead.  I'm not sure if they fell off or what.  I almost bought a couple a while back to mess around with....
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway RAZR MBs 4-PW w/ i95 Steelfiber
Callaway MD3 50* & 54*/58* PM grind
Odyssey MXM 1W

#44 Scott57

Scott57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93951
  • Ebay ID:oldboats2

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have a mac and would like to put something like this together for various GC's.
A novice here so any advice would be well received.
Learned how to "grab" off of google maps, not sure how to place on a blank page (jpeg, pdf, ??)

#45 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Love this idea. Trying to create my own. One question, a lot of the courses I play here in Michigan are tree lined and the various satellite images I find have a lot of shadows, making the holes hard to see. Is there a way to eliminate the shadows and make the image clearer?

Callaway Epic 10.5* - testing a variety of shafts
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron - Graphite Design Tour AD 95x or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
Nike Engage 54* SS & 58* DS - TT Dynamic Gold S400
Custom Nike Method 001 or Nike Origin B1-01
Taylormade TP5x

#46 zacktess

zacktess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158705
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

this is the best tutorial for making a yarage book. http://3upgolf.com/b...lf-yardage-book

#47 RickPro

RickPro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481492
  • Handicap:36
  • Ebay ID:ric715

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

there is a lot of trees where my course is, especially around the greens. they took the satellite image and it has a huge overcast. the shadow is blackening out the green. Is there a way to get another picture without the long shadows blocking everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors